TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Show VS Books

tekki2034

[1]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 1

I don't know if any of you read the books, but I would like to discuss the differences between the two, and know what the general preferences are.

I for one, personally find the books' storyline to be highly superior than that of the show. I find that in the recent episodes (11,12), Dexter was made out to be far more cowardly and...Human than in the books. I also think Dexter gets his message across with more success in the written form.

Anyway, just want to know what you people think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hotsauce_8_24

[2]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 11
    I have only read the first two books. I think the show is 100% better than the books though. The second book had a fairly weak overall plot i think, and the first book, although it was still about the ITK was pretty shallow compared to the show.

I read the excerpt from the 3rd book in the extra's for the season 1 dvd and I have to say that they are pretty poorly written. Lindsay seems to start from scratch each book expaining what Dexter is, that's fair enough if you want to consider them stand-alone books, but most people would read them in order and it gets a bit annoying when half the book is explaining what Dexter is.

One positive for the books is the developement of Cody in particular, although They will probably do something with that in the show next season.

foolmoon67

[3]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 3

Usually when a book is adapted into a movie or a TV show I tend to prefer the book. By the end of the first season I actually thought they completed each other quite well. I finished reading the first book while watching the first season and it was a lot of fun to be able to compare the two. Although I thought the ending of the show was better, I particularly enjoyed the parts where Dexter talks about his dark passenger. I read the second book before the second season aired, but didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. I was pleased to see they only kept very little of the book's plot... at least now I could have twice the amount of Dexter ! What is interesting about the show is that we actually see Dexter's evolution. He's starting to become more human while still being his dark self. In the books he's not really evolving. I also find Deb quite annoying and the ending is always too abrupt.

Now that the season is over I wanted to buy the third book to get my fix of Dexter... but I read a lot of bad reviews about it. Apparently, the plot involves some supernatural elements... that doesn't sound too good. I think I'll wait till it's available in my library...

I'm sure the third season of the show will be more interesting. I'm really curious as to which direction they're going to take !

suiycfui

[4]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 10
    There were very major differences between book one and season one, and with season two the books and the series have taken completely different paths. As a result, I tend to regard them as separate entities that can't be compared to each other.

Kadodian

[5]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 23
    I deffinatley prefer the book.

Libaax

[6]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    I love reading crime and Noir books. I read a great classic Jim Thompson book called The Killer Inside Me. The guy was practictly Dexter but in the 50's. It must have inspired the writer of Dexter books.

Its a shame though i will never be able to know how good the books are. Thanks to some punks in ep 11/12 thread who ruined the books totaly for me. Talking to themselves killing the interest for the books who ever want to read them after seeing the show.

I mean there is no point thanks those losers i know what happens to Doakes and other killers in book 1-2.

journey_65

[7]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 10

Libaax wrote:
    I love reading crime and Noir books. I read a great classic Jim Thompson book called The Killer Inside Me. The guy was practictly Dexter but in the 50's. It must have inspired the writer of Dexter books. Its a shame though i will never be able to know how good the books are. Thanks to some punks in ep 11/12 thread who ruined the books totaly for me. Talking to themselves killing the interest for the books who ever want to read them after seeing the show. I mean there is no point thanks those losers i know what happens to Doakes and other killers in book 1-2.

So... you mean to tell us that out of the 280 pages of each book, knowing what reads in 1 page dismisses the other 279 pages???? C'mon... get serious. Literature is also the penmanship, the ideas, the characters etc.... not only the plot - which in this case what is disclosed is about 1/100th of the whole plot...

Haven't you ever read the same book twice???

desertsmiss

[8]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 14
    I think the topic has been dicussed before, but hey I don't mind talking about it again :p

I've only read the two first books, Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter and I can confirm that they are indeed excellent books. If one were to ask me to describe them in just 5 words I'd say, funny, witty, thrilling, bloody and well-written. For those of you wondering, the first book is the main "storyline pool" (especially for season 1), but certainly there have been things from Dearly Devoted D used in season 2. However, although the first book follows pretty much the same storyline with season 1, season 2 takes a totally different path than that in book 2. Some things like Lundy, the Dark Passenger implication or Doakes' abduction (though not from Dexter) have been used, under different circumstances, in both season and book 2, while other things like Lila don't exist in the book at all.

I liked Dearly Devoted Dexter (with the exception of a few storylines) just as much as I did the 1st book and it's a shame they didn't use its basic plot for season 2. Not that I am complaining that we got an utterly new Dexter storyline, of course.

I like both, books and TV show, just as much and I honestly think, there could be no better Dexter than M.C Hall. He is THE p-e-r-f-e-c-t Dexter personification.

articnights

[9]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 4
    hotsauce_8_24 wrote:
    I have only read the first two books. I think the show is 100% better than the books though. The second book had a fairly weak overall plot i think, and the first book, although it was still about the ITK was pretty shallow compared to the show.

I read the excerpt from the 3rd book in the extra's for the season 1 dvd and I have to say that they are pretty poorly written. Lindsay seems to start from scratch each book expaining what Dexter is, that's fair enough if you want to consider them stand-alone books, but most people would read them in order and it gets a bit annoying when half the book is explaining what Dexter is.

One positive for the books is the developement of Cody in particular, although They will probably do something with that in the show next season.

I like the books, but I prefer the TV series and how they develope the characters - we get more. Book 3 was okay, but I wouldn't want the writers to adapt most of the concept for TV - the supernatural angle for example. As for Cody - would Showtime allow it??. I LOVE the TV series and will suffer Dexter withdrawls until next season (sigh).

clearChicken

[10]May 17, 2008
    • level: 3
    Books win for me hands down. Dexter as a character is more realistic and you don't have to put up with Dexter being made more human. That ruins it for me. Dexter is so interesting for me because it is about a person who has been forcibly torn from the rest of humanity and stand alone because of his hobby and then he has to try and fit in to survive. He doesn't understand what it means to care for someone but in the show he learns to care for Rita and her kids. This is one of the things that makes me love the books more. We aren't supposed to understand fully why Dexter does what he does or why he reacts to things in different ways becuase we don't think like him. Personally I wouln't want to and by humanising Dexter it is just taking the individuality out of the show. The tv show rocks. The Books Rock but the book are better.

Tehodis

[11]May 27, 2008
    • level: 4
    I much prefer the show, but I do like the books too. They're quite different so it's fun doing both since you're not sure what will happen. : )

raven_hoodoo

[12]May 28, 2008
    • level: 6
    I love the books and the show. The first book and first season were pretty similar though I feel the climax in the tv show was much better. I feel the 2nd book and 2nd season are separate entities that can't really be compared. The 2nd season took a few things from the 2nd book but mostly they are completely different. All the characters are somewhat nicer in the series, in the books Laguerta, Doakes and the rest are pretty much one dimensional. I like how in the tv show the other characters are given more plot and Rita is more strong. Cody's storyline in the book is very interesting though and I wish they would bring it to the tv show.