TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Dexter Forums

Showtime (ended 2013)

Why Doesn't The Show Follow The Books

cybrVortex

[1]May 10, 2009
    • level: 2

I'm a little curious (and disappointed) that the tv series is deviating from its origins in the Jeff Lindsay book series.

Series 3 bore virtually no elements/resemblance to the 3rd book in the series - Dexter In The Dark (which was fantastic IMO), and from the discussions around series 4 that i've read this trend looks to continue even further (i.e. having little to no reference to its book origin).

Why do the writers feel the need to deviate so far away from the book in order to make 'good television' when the series which followed the books (1 & 2) were IMO the best.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackphonix

[2]May 12, 2009
    • level: 10
    I think the reason that the 3rd book was a bit too much to put on tv. The 3rd book got a bit weird with the Dark Passenger being a supernatural entity, plus Cody. As much as fans of the books might enjoy the show staying true to the books I don't think that the general public is ready for that. Although if we're looking for similarities between the 3rd book and the 3rd season, Miguel could represent Cody and Astor because the can't change the kid's characters that much in between seasons.

scottd2242

[3]May 13, 2009
    • level: 14
    how was the 2nd season like the book? The ony things the two had in common was Deb sleeping with a fed and Doakes getting taken out.

HitBattousai

[4]May 18, 2009
    • level: 2
    The second season only took a few minor elements from the second book as this guy indicates. As to why they deviated, personally I think the books have gotten progressively dumber, with the third one hitting a mystical low, so I'm glad they changed it up. The show is overall a far superior product as I see it. Also, Dexter really doesn't undergo much in the way of development in the books compared to the show, imo, so it was a move to make his character more connectable to the audience.

rodimer777

[5]May 27, 2009
    • level: 3
    I think it is good it doesn`t follow the book on everything. I`ve read them, so I want to be surprised by the show. And it also extend the lifetime of the show.

Gilmoreism

[6]May 27, 2009
    • level: 37
    The show doesn't follow the books because they want Dexter to be more "human" in the show. The Dexter in the books is funny but he's a sociopath, cut and dry. The show also is a drama where as the books have a macabre humor focus. I enjoy both and I'm glad they aren't following the books (Btw you are one of the few people I've encountered who found the 3rd book the best, generally people were too weirded out by the flat out supernatural vibe to really enjoy it)

Bisrossk

[7]May 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    The show's way better than the books (especially after that third book). We should all celebrate the fact that they decided to go a different way.

smmik

[8]May 31, 2009
    • level: 5
    The show is superior to the books in character development and subplots, although I am tired of what seems to be the pattern for the main storyline - Dexter meets friend, friend is crazier than Dexter, Dexter kills friend.

D-blaze34

[9]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    I could not agree with this more. It is not often that the turning of a novel into a film or movie goes so so well. The whole Moloch story was rediculous. I read all three books and don't get me wrong it was fun to see how it was originally envisaged but it lost the plot a bit. I still don't know whether I liked his style of writing or not. Not sure if it is an American thing but he seemed to over capitalise words.

windseeker15

[10]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    The only worthwhile thing left in the books is Astor and Cody turning out to be sociopaths. Moloch storyline was just dumb. So far the show is better.

D-blaze34

[11]Jun 7, 2009
    I' not sure about that. I really don't want them to be killers. Their innocence ties Dexter to humanity. I like it that way.

Libaax

[12]Jun 9, 2009
    • level: 8
    Im glad the tv show doesnt follow the books more. I read alot of books specially crime books. I want to enjoy Dexter in both mediums and get as much new stories out of the original books and the shows own take on Dexter.

Notusedname

[13]Jun 9, 2009

My opinion is that the difference from the books, makes it easier for viewers, who haven't read the books yet, to follow the story lines.

gamashinta

[14]Jun 9, 2009

Seriously Book 3 sucked big time, it sucked so much i'm not buying the next one.

I would like to see the serial killer from book 2 (he was awsome) and i don't understand why he wasn't in season 3 of the TV show (instead of that Skinner guy), it would have been way more interesting. Guess producers thought it was to sinister to put on camera (the whole limbless, lipless, eyelidless stump and all) but it would have great!!

gamashinta

[15]Jun 9, 2009
    *would have been great