Dexter

Get Gellar

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 27, 2011 on Showtime

• Glad that's over.

Well, at least now it's official and we can all stop guessing. Sigh.
    Hopefully the reveal that Gellar has in fact been dead for a while and Travis is the only Doomsday Killer - as well as a schizo - will lead to a more interesting final quarter.

The episode was still pretty interesting, especially Casey's crime scene, which was brilliant, even though it brings a very hard question: how did Travis jam Dexter's elevator, knock out Casey AND hide his body in, what, ninety seconds? That seems pretty efficient, even by Dexter standards. Oh well. Suspension of disbelief and all that crap.

Dexter's arc with Travis was still good, despite the über-obvious twist. His plan to honor Brother Sam by giving Travis a second chance to start his life anew was excellent character development, which goes to show that this series still has some of the best writers in the business, despite the Gellar mishap.

It seems Louis might pull a Christine Hill and wreak a bit of havoc in the final stretch too. I get the feeling that hot Ryan will return and help him along. It was reported that she'd be in seven episodes and was MIA since the fourth. You do the math. I doubt it will be in link with Travis' storyline, but it should be interesting. Though I'm still wondering what role Jamie could play in their plan. Maybe a reenactment of Brian's ritual? If that's the case, there are a lot of parallels to be drawn between Deb and Jamie, as well as Brian and Louis. And that music when they showed us the prosthetic hand? Yeah, that one.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I can kind of smell Laguerta's end this season. If Deb finds out everything there is to know about that dead callgirl, Laguerta and Matthews will most assuredly get the boot, which would be great for the show. The only other alternative I can see would be Deb losing her job, which isn't an option. Deb being by far the best supporting character, and Laguerta being universally hated, the writers can only choose one option.

In short, if it wasn't for treating the Gellar reveal in such an insulting "Behold Thy Great Plot Twist" way, this episode would have scored much higher with me. It's a promising lead-up for the final quarter of the season, and despite this season's faults, I'm still, as ever, psyched for the rest.

Go Team Dexter!