Dexter

Get Gellar

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 27, 2011 on Showtime

• More sloppiness is just what this season needed

4.5

Well, its not like we didn't see this coming as I was afraid of in my review from three episodes back; no real Olmos vs. Hall showdown.

Mind you, Dexter has always had a showdown with the serial killer of the season...and this indirect showdown looming with Travis may surprise us yet but I doubt it...but it IS different.

I don't think I mentioned it in my last review but the new lab prospect turning out to be the guy who bought the Ice Truck Killer memorobilia was pretty obvious too from the start...just a little too helpful and nice to be true, especially in covering up the traces of the sale on the internet. It's a pretty silly side story but I suppose it gives Batista's sister some sort of purpose other than being Dexter's maid. Not to mention it's something else for Batista to do instead of fighting Quinn for no apparent reason; implausible drama just for the sake of drama = no fresh ideas.

Dexter continues to be sloppy as well...turning his back on Travis in the church after he breaks his chains, who at the very least was a dangerous accomplice, blew my mind. He should know better after all of his experiences.

Yet more ominous signs of a season going nowhere. The only thing which might just be interesting is whether the therapy Deb's going through will lead her to question Dexter's secretiveness enough to put the pieces together but this a long shot because they seem to have steered it all back on Debra and her issues instead of what this might tell her about Dexter's hidden nature. Seems they'll just continue to tease us for another season or two until the series finale...I feel it can't come to soon at this point, the glory days of the show (like Cheers back in the day, which dragged on for three or four seasons too long) seem to be over.

Oh, and whatever happened to the other kids? Did they disappear in that black hole in Genoah City that Y&R uses when they no longer have a current use for a character? Maybe the next time we see them they'll have aged twenty years too.

Bah humbug!