Dexter

Left Turn Ahead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 09, 2007 on Showtime

• Dexter makes a decision to whether he will turn himself in.

This was a brilliant buildup to the finale with Dexter now knowing his father killed himself because of who Dexter is and now Dexter believes the code is shattered and thinks about turning himself in Dexter spent the day like it was his last and he looks forward to no more running and peace When Dexter was ready to tell Deb we saw some really funny ways she code react with the last one being the funniest When Deb talks to Dexter it makes him realise that he shouldn't turn himself in But because the FBI are moving in on Doakes it makes Dexters plan to frame him useless if they find him in a cage but it was very interesting to see that Lila has beaten everybody to Doakes and will be good to see what happens now that Lila will know the truth.
  • Review

I had this episode right around a 9.5 for the first half of it. The first half was really good - some more Dexter / Doakes interactions and the fallout of Lila trying to get Dexter to come back to her. The second part kind of began to trail off a little bit from the first part. Too much Lila in the second part. All of her scenes seem to drag on about twice the length that they really should be. Her finding Doakes wasn't really a twist, it just seems like an average way to resolve both storylines in the finale instead of having them be seperated for Dexter. Dexter went through a phase of wondering if he should turn himself in, but halfway through the episode he changes his mind. I would have liked to see a more intense struggle with the realization of Harry's death, but with the beginning of the season like it was it may have just felt like more of the same anyway. Either way - it was a good epsiode, was going to be hard (in my book) to follow "There's Something About Harry" but it did set up the finale.
  • The plot has been climaxing but they took a break on this episode.

Each episode has been getting more and more crazy but it seems as if they took a week off for this episode. The next episode it the finally and I can't wait to see what happens. Lila found doks, and it should be interesting to see how that all plays out. Dexter has decided to save himself and now it might be too late. I am pretty sure that he finds a way out of it all other wise the show wouldnt go on and it has too. Dexter's relationshio with rita is progressing back to where it should be and the crazy girl is on the way to being gone.
  • Turn Left Written by Scott Buck And Tim Schlattmann Directed by Marcos Siega

Doakes: "You wanna make a change, man, then all you gotta do is let me out of here. It's over, man".
    Dexter: "Is it over when I say it's over".

Oh it's definitely getting to the point of being over for both Dexter and Doakes as the penultimate episode continues to raise the stakes. While Dexter is unlikely to be caught and tried as the Bay Harbour Butcher anytime soon, it's definitely safe to say that things are getting worse for him.

Keeping Doakes captive is only putting off the inevitable – the guy is going to die. There's no way in hell Doakes is going to make it out of this season alive and while Dexter seems also fairly unlikely to kill him, I still know in my gut that Doakes' days are numbered.

I think even Doakes realises that as well but it doesn't stop him from fighting. Being held hostage by Dexter has forced him into being nice to his rival. In fact seeing Doakes being polite to Dexter is intriguing. You just wonder if Doakes had never felt that if there was something 'off' about Dexter, would the two of them have been friends.

Last week drew all the parallels between the two of them but seeing as we've only one more episode to go, I guess we'll never know really. Doakes is on a mission to appeal to Dexter's good side and although it might be grudging on his part that means that Doakes must realise that Dexter isn't evil to the core.

Finding out about Harry's suicide has definitely triggered Dexter's emotional and Doakes himself even seems a little sympathetic to Dexter's plight. However when Doakes makes the obvious that Dexter turn himself, Dexter refuses to do it. I don't want to see Dexter in jail but if I were in Doakes' position, I would've suggested it too. However leaving Doakes alone for prolonged periods of time is something Dexter shouldn't be doing. Naturally enough Doakes makes another attempt to escape and the only thing that stops him this time is a bunch of drug dealers looking for their stash. As a couple of days go, Doakes is certainly not having a good time.

It's also quite typical to point out that between drug fiends and Dexter, the latter is clearly the lesser of the two evils. Dexter risks his own life to save Doakes from the killer and while his motives aren't selfless; it does however lead to a good moment between the two of them.

Dexter does come to the realisation that holding Doakes captive isn't the best thing he could be doing with his time. However the bigger factors are Dexter's relationship with both Rita and Deb and as a result he decides to turn himself. Doakes is thrilled by the idea but his enthusiasm dissipates when Dexter abandons him again in order to get his affairs into order.

Doakes isn't the only thorn that Dexter has got sticking out of him. Lila has upped her bloody game in being a crazy stalker by landing Angel in a serious amount of trouble. Drugging herself has meant that she can accuse the poor guy of date rape and pretending that she has no memory is a pathetic way of trying to win Dexter back.

Luckily for us, Dexter's brain cells are functioning perfectly and he sees through Lila's little plan. Unfortunately his powers of persuasion aren't up to that much so trying to get the evil bint to change her mind fails big time. To give Dexter his due, he did try both the nice and threatening options and Lila succumbed to neither.

Plus there was something absolutely glorious in Dexter telling Lila that there was no endgame to her plan. The cruelty in which Dexter displaying when conveying that sound bite would be appalling if Lila didn't deserve it but after she's putting Angel through, I think Dexter was almost being soft by comparison.

As for Angel, while I hated his blatant stupidity over Lila, I felt so bad for him here. Yes he should've had the sense to stay away from her even after Dexter repeatedly told him she was bad news but no-one deserves to be accused of rape and it was good that he called Dexter first.

I knew that Dexter would believe him without question and it was absolutely sweet when Dexter told Angel that he admired him. I don't think Dexter was faking that – Angel is an all round nice guy and even though Dexter does maintain the fact that he has no emotions, his friendship with Angel is yet another example of the contrary. As plans went Lila's was pretty flawed anyway. Not only did Dexter refuse to buy into but no else in the station did either and although Lila seems to think she's indestructible, it seems that making an enemy out of Deb was a dumb move on her part. Deb already hated her guts to begin with and Lila added fuel to the fire by taking revenge on Angel.

When it comes to dark secret we know that Lila's a pyromaniac, a boyfriend killer and now a person who cries false rape. On top of that she's also got two surnames and an expired visa which is enough for Deb to feel smug. In fact I revelled in watching Deb smugly telling Lila to get out of town, even though I knew Lila would fail to follow this sound bit of advice.

Instead Lila steals Dexter's Sat Nav and makes her way to the cabin where Doakes is. Could Lila possibly be the one to end Doakes' life? It would be a good way to get Dexter out of one sticky situation and Lila seems the type who would kill to prove her love to someone? Besides the girl's a freaking whack job but at least Jaime Murray is having fun as the unhinged lady.

As for Dexter, he's still got other problems to deal as well as keeping Doakes hostage and trying to get rid of Lila. Outing himself as the bay Harbour Butcher will not only impact his own life but Dexter realises that it will cause incredible damage to the lives of both Deb and Rita, the two people he bragged to Doakes in the previous episode about having to be there for.

Still it was the thought of not being able to keep up the pretence that compelled Dexter to consider turning himself. His timing couldn't be worse given that he and Rita are still working the kinks out of their relationships. We know that Dexter loves her to bits so the fact that he's determined to give her a memorable day proves that.

Dexter has come to view Rita, Astor and Cody as his family and it's perfect that he gives them a family day out on his boat. It's in this episode you further see how great a father Dexter is to the kids but more importantly you can also see how much Rita loves him when she makes it clear that they have a future together.

Dexter's dinner with Deb on the other is equally as effective. There's a brilliant moment where Dexter goes through the possible reactions that Deb could have if she really knew he was the Bay Harbour Butcher. After all, if there is one person who would react, it is certainly Deb.

More poignantly though is their conversation where Deb opens up about getting past the whole debacle with Rudy. It's a well judged performance from Jennifer Carpenter and only a show like this could pull off something so genuinely touching and affecting between siblings without reducing it to mush.

It's also the fact that both of the times Dexter spent with Rita and Deb that later justify his decision to change his mind. I don't like the idea of him framing Doakes either but I can understand Dexter's desperation and even sympathise with him a little. However he's not going to be a happy camper when he realises that Lila will now also know his secret identity.

Meanwhile when it comes to the Bay Harbour Butcher, the last few episodes have been a brilliant reminder that Maria is a decent person after all. Her steadfast determination to prove Doakes' innocence may have alienated from everyone else, but for once you can buy into why she's doing something that could damage her career.

Lundy already made an idiot out of himself last week by not taking her evidence seriously and once again, Tom treats her with disdain. Tom does this a lot when Maria shows signs of advancing which only go to further her accusation of sexism earlier on in the season.

However as much of a jackass as Tom and Lundy have been at times, neither of them compare to the latter's boss, Max Adams who is equally as dismissive of anything that could prove Doakes innocence. It even gets to a point where Deb uses her shouty manner in good use by giving the man an ear bashing.

Of course she's mainly doing it to defend Lundy and in this episode, it's nice to see her in the role of support rather than her older lover. As much as I do like Deb with Lundy, it's safe to assume that once this BHB case is resolved that Lundy will just move on and Deb will on her own again.

Also in "Left Turn Ahead"

The flashbacks we got in this episode were of Deb during the moment in which Harry died. I don't remember actually seeing Harry here.

Lila: "Everything's a little fuzzy".
    Dexter: "This is desperate, it won't work".

Something that Billie Doux mentioned in one of her Season Two reviews is Lila's attire. Given how pale Jaime Murray is, I find it more distracting whenever Lila is wearing white and she has been doing that in a lot of episodes.

Dexter: "Why can't you just let me go?"
    Lila: "Because I'm your soul mate, not Rita. Me! I see the real you inside".
    Dexter: "And look where that got you".

Dexter: "After everything we've been through, I just want to be with you guys. Is that selfish?"
    Rita: "No, it's lovely".

Is Rita's car the same one that Dexter bought her back in Season One? It looked different to me.

Doakes: "So here we are. Back to **** square one".
    Dexter: "Not exactly".

Lila: "You going somewhere?"
    Dexter: "Looks more and more likely".

Lila's real name is West but she had been using the alias of Tournay. I loved Deb comparing her to Elvira. Marlene: "We're all gonna die eventually".
    Deb (to Dexter): "Okay, yeah. Is that why you were acting so weird last night?"

Rita: "That's not exactly taking it slow".
    Dexter: "I'm sorry. I'll never do that again".
    Rita: "Never say never".

The drinking session with Deb, Masuka and Angel was a nice turn. Deb managed to avoid making the Rudy slip up awkward.

Lundy: "Ooh you're getting tough".
    Deb: "I'm just getting started".

Deb: "I want you gone tonight".
    Lila: "You don't want to do that".
    Deb: "Already done".

Deb's reactions to Dexter revealing to be BHB included shooting him, crying, arresting him and nearly choking.

Dexter (re Rudy): "How did you finally do it?"
    Deb: "I just got through it".

Chronology: It took place right after the end of "There's Something About Harry".

"Left Turn Ahead" may not have seen certain people head into a parallel world without their hero but it's definitely an episode that has seen Lila, Dexter and Doakes all heading into one hell of a collision course.
  • Stunning

The story has been climbing and that's it.. I never thought that kind of development. I was sure Lila killed herself in last episode.. but no.. she has always plan and after the plan she has another.. thinking and plotting, all the time.

I loved the development of Dexter.. to get him to the point, where he puts his affairs in order and is ready to give himself up.. but no.. Deb talks him out of it.. but we were sure it won't happen.. I mean, giving himself up.. It was too clear.. but I loved them going that way.. opening up those thoughts, new layers..

And the ending.. brilliant.. what comes now?
  • Nutshell review to what we thought would be a set up for an epic finale. . . .

.. thats only half true. It was a set up, but the finale wasn't epic.

Anyway, great episode, but one problem: (okay, two) - predictable - Lila

Lila at first was a great character, then mixed feelings, and now absolutely crap and annoying. Somewhere, something went terribly wrong. Probably this season needed more episodes. Like, 20. Have Dexter kill some more random people like season 1. I know this show is like many other crime shows where there is a standalone case every episode and an overall storyline, like Veronica Mars and i also know the overall storyline is more interesting, but standalone cases are simply NEEDED time to time to maintain consistency and to give some room for character development. Lila desperately needed that. But well, too late now.

Great Doakes and Dexter interaction and a nice cliffhanger saves the day. In fact, the Dexter / Doekes dynamic was outstanding, on par with Dexter and Rudy in the previous season's finale. Oh, I almost forgot: Dexter imagening Deb's reaction to revealing who he really is. Priceless . Mmm, yea, that's it. Basically, an average episode of Dexter with some outstanding scenes here and there.
  • Another Filler episode...

Dexter continues to brood over the realization that even his father couldn't accept the code of ethics he had developed and seriously considers putting it all to an end, but wisely decides against it.

Doakes manages to escape from his cell but the people he ends up with are no improvement on Dexter. Lila the scheming little B**** accuses Batista of rape and he is soon relieved of his duties, she gets jealous when seeing Dexter with Rita so she breaks into Dexter Car and takes the Sat Nav, Big Mistake. Debbie does a little digging and learns that Lila is in the US illegally (I've always known that there was something quite not right about her). Debbie Soon warns her and tells her to leave the country, but Lila has other Ideas the Sat Nav she stole from Dexter's Car she follows the last rute that he took, Has she just stumbled across who the real Dexter is?
  • Dokes thought he was home free, that Dexter was going to turn himself in. Lyla thought her little ploy was going to get her Dexter back, oh wait she never really had him, he belongs to Rita and the kids, LOL.

Just when Dokes thought he was going to get away, drug dealers takes that thought out of his head. Amazing that Dexter has to save him, just to put him back into a cage. Lyla is the worst, trying to frame an innocent man like Angel, a man that Dexter could see himself being like, go Angel - being a good influence on Dexter. I am glad that Dexter has come to his senses and realises that the Miami still needs him to clean up the serial killer scene. Go Deb, looking out for the people in your life by trying to get Lyla out of the picture, nice try even though it didn't completely work. Can't wait for season finale.
  • Dexter, what will you do now...

I originally came across Dexter by accident back when it first started and initially didn't think it was going to be that interesting. I persevered however and boy am I glad I did. Season 2 and now I've gotten most of mates watching this thing week after week but these cliffhangers are killing me.

It's interesting to see Dexter showing signs of actually being human in some of these later episodes. I'm torn between wanting him to stop killing and become the nice guy or continuing down his current path simply because that is what has made this show exciting thus far.

In this latest episode I can't help but toy with the idea that Lila is somehow going to take the heat for all the murders instead of Dokes, the last thing we see is her entering the cabin and the hearing that the taskforce is on their way their. Will Dexter somehow get Dokes our of the flames and replace him with Lila? Somehow I doubt it but I've been finding myself wanting Dokes to be ok for some reason, all about the underdog I guess.

Either way, this weeks ending will make for one of the most excrutiating waits for any show this season.
  • Another fine example of Michael C. Hall's ability to successfully employ nuances to such a profound character.

Michael C. Hall is an extremely gifted actor. The method he enlists to structure and define the complex character of Dexter is majestically uncanny. Maybe there is no method…I'm not an actor; however, brilliant nonetheless.
    I thought I had an idea who this guy is until this episode. I didn't want to believe him when he spoke of giving himself up and yet he made me believe he was going to do just that. Did you not possibly initially say to yourself...NO WAY will he give himself up? Then behold, a Dexter I've never seen before materializes last night during his fascinating 'cage' conversation with Doakes, making me believe he would surrender. Hall's ability to effortlessly slither and find his way through Dexter's uniquely profound character is a privilege to visualize. My only complaint centers on Dexter planting the murder weapons so close to shore and Doakes fingerprints. Would any serial killer leave murder weapons in such an accessible and conspicuous area? Wouldn't any serial killer take a few moments out of his busy schedule and wipe the fingerprints clean?

For the finale, the writer's will either make themselves look like Mensa members or undermine their own integrity.
  • Now this is Dexter on it's best!

From beginning to end, an endless painful episode to watch... Everything seem so cunningly laid out by Dexter - right on the edge of what we can deal with!
    But what will happend next? My take on this is that Lila will free Doakes, and when the Police arrives to find him with her in a cabin in the Everglades, they will automatically see Lila as Doakes' next victim!
    Lila, who is currently still in the U.S. illegally, will get deported, after they find out who she really is. As for Rita, the kids an Dexter - they will keep on living their lives as "normally", and this, I believe, is the beginning of Dexters new life. Although; Dexter is going to have to find new ways to satisfy his urges...

Let's all hope for the finale we all dream of, and a happy new Season of the greatest show ever casted!
  • A great episode that looks like it'll lead into another great Dexter season finale

Just like season 1 Dexter somehow gets even more exciting during the last 4 episodes.

What an episode, Dexter saving Doakes and thinking about turning himself in? and Lyla getting too close to finding out what the monster is capable of, I know theres gonna be a way Dexter can get out of it but you have to go with the flow to really enjoy the rollercoaster ride of the show.

Poor Batista, the nicest character in the show and in over a year he's lost his marriage, been stabbed and now being accused of raping Lyla, when will the bad luck end.

I laughed my head off when Dexter was finding ways to confess to Deb, just one of the many reasons why I love this show they can turn a serious situation into something very funny for a brief moment.

Where other shows go downhill at there 2nd season *cough*lostheroes*cough* Dexter matches up or dare I say has done better then the 1st season.
  • Will Dexter confess? What is Lila capable of? "Left Turn Ahead" provides a different type of tension than any other episode. This episode provides an exciting setup to a very promising finale.

Dexter struggles with the decision whether or not to turn himself in and reveal to all that he is indeed the Bay Harbor Butcher. After telling himself he will turn himself in, Dexter spends his last few days saying goodbye to everyone. His moments with Rita and the kids were sweet, perhaps bitter sweet.

Meanwhile Lila decides to press charges with the rape in a storyline that I felt was really bad taste. Obviously it was to show how extreme Lila will go to win back Dexter, and so we wait with great anxiety throughout the latter half of the episode once Lila steals Dexter's GPS. Dexter and Doakes again steal the show with their conversations and even join forces to kill two drug dealers in an awesome moment. They feed the bodies to the crocodiles in a cute nod to season one's jump-out-of-your-seat moment. Deb confronts Lila about her expired visa and threatens her to leave or else….

Perhaps the most amusing scene of the episode is when Dexter imagines telling Deb that he is indeed the Bay Harbor Butcher. We got multiple scenes of how it would play out, with Deb crying, arresting, and shooting Dexter. Too funny.

Things are coming to a close, as Lila ends up on the doorstep of the cabin. The FBI is around the corner. Dexter is doomed.

The Final episode is only a week away, how will this end? My take?

Lila will unfortunately be Dexter's saving grace. Despite everyone hating her, she will be essential in Dexter's escape. She will most likely kill Doakes. She will probably either shoot him with the drug dealer's gun or burn down the cabin like she did with her first murder.

With Doakes gone, Lila will be the only one who knows the truth about Dexter, and will use this against him. What happens from there? Well, I'm sure most of us are hoping he kills Lila, but perhaps that would be too obvious. This show is built on shock and twists, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lila goes after Rita and the kids one last time. Ultimately Lila must die though, that is the only satisfying ending for Dexter fans.

One episode left, will the finale live up to the Rudy being the brother conclusion? Will the relationship between Dexter's mom and harry be ignored or explained? Did Dexter really kill his father? Will Dexter tell Deb the truth? One week to go, let's do this!!!!
  • Big set up before the grande finale.

So this is the last stop before the grande finale of a fabulous second season of Dexter.
    Well in this episode, we mostly found how the truth of Harry`s suicide would affect Dexter. Add to that, the life around him was becoming a complete mess. Detxter decides to turn himself in but needs one day to patch up things firs.

Dexter said to Doakes that "I`ve enjoyed our conversations" Well I`ve enjoyed them too. Those conversations between them in the last two episodes were delightful.
    Of course there should be a twist that prevents Dex from turning himself in. The twist is that he realize how Rita, Deb and his friends rely on him.
    This episdoe also contains the scene that probably made me laugh the most in this show. That scene of Dexter practicing how to tell Deb he was the butcher was freaking epic...LMAO!

Nice cliffhanger with Lila founding Doakes. So what happens now? What does Doakes do? I would be glad if Lila somehow goes down as the butcher. It would be the perfect ending IMO. I did not hate the character at first, had mixed feelings when she was with Dexter but not she is pissing me off big time. I don`t really want Doakes to go down for this. But if some else goes down as the butcher, it will probably mean Doakes will die which again I don`t want.

Different possibilities and theories for the season finale. Proves how great this show is at the moment! Finale should be epic!
  • We see more behind the mask than we ever have before.

I really enjoyed this episode. Dexter has always been a very well developed character and that area is one that I've always praised to my friends. But this episode really shows you a deep look into his soul (if he believed he had one). The interaction with James Doakes was really great, and honestly one of the only times in the series that I havne't wanted Dex to just take him out! Truth be told, I actually found myself feeling sorry for him. JD looked more like a scared child than an military special ops killer! That aside, Dex spilling his soul out to JD was beautiful, him telling him that he was contemplating turning himself in and JD actually being, seemingly, heart felt and ernest in his support of that decision. Also the time with Rita on the boat with the kids was great, I've always loved his interactions with the kids. It is one of those qualities that he has that makes you love the killer that he is. He says all through the series that he has no feeling and emotions but if you watch him with Rita, Cody and Aster, you see that he mearly thinks he doesn't have emotion. Dexter is as endearing as he his brutal, and i love him for both!
  • Things are coming to a head!

Lila (she really is a skank)is framing Batista for rape. We all know and everyone on the squad knows that he is being framed. Deb found out her Visa expired and she is really Lila West. Deb tries to force her hand, but we know she's not biting, it will be Dexter tieing up her (Lila) loose end.

Meanwhile Doakes busts out but is sent back to the cabin by of all people the non-english speaking drug smugglers. Too funny...and ironically it's Dexter coming upon the scene that leads to their demise. With Doakes back in the cage we seem to get the impression that Dex is going to turn himself in. He gets a living will (or trust) is now set up, he takes Rita and the kids for a day out on the boat, he visit's Lila and tells her he will be gone permanently...all these things lead us to believe he will be turning himself in.

But one simple meal and conversation at home between Dex and sister Deb turn it around. SHe tells him to get through it and he decides to. I think this year we have seen that Dexter is more like you and I...he does like sex (thanks to Lila and some renewed interest in Rita)...he is getting his affairs in order and saying his goodbyes (though no-one really sees it at this point as such (except maybe Doakes and Lila who know him as the killer). We only know Dex as something of a closet monster.

The episode strung us along, not quite as suspensful as we've become accustomed, however just enough to get us to the climax.

Woe to Lila and Doakes, they will see the monster.
  • And now what ????

So Lila keeps trying to destroy all the people around Dexter, because he is her soul mate :( blah i cant stand that woman anymore someone PLEASE kill her !!!!!!!

A new guy from FBI comes to boss around Lundy, but that doesnt make a big difference in the story.

Well, being a person that has already watched this and the season finale episode :) is hard to post a review without spoilers for the next one, but this was a good/ great episode, lots of drama and action. Specially in the end when Lila finds Doakes and.....well i will wait until everyone has watched nº 12 :)

But im already waiting for the next season :) Dex RULES !
  • A good episode (possible spoilers)

Dexter has to make a decision, Debra seems to be the strong one in this episode and poor Angel getting in trouble because of Lila!
    It's a good episode, a littls slow paced, but I think the best parts of this episode were the Debra scenes. She surprises me in this episode the way she protects Angel, Lundy and then gives a strengthening speech to Dexter, which he takes to him and decides to not to do what he was planning on doing.
    In this episode I felt Lundy was stripped of his "power". He became the weak element and that was a little annoying. Doakes was also pretty good in this episode, but I felt a guy with his background should have been able to do a lot more than to run into trouble like he did. Lila was annoying as usual if not more. Why she decides to steal Dexter's GPS is beyond me and why Dexter would even be using one and then leaving it out in the open in his van (windows rolled slightly down) is strange for someone who has tendensies such as being neat and orderly.

I didn't rate this episode too high (8.5) because it still cannot beat the 9th episode which was the fast paced heart racing and absolutely the best of the best episodes so far (Yes and Debra/Lundy scenes made it even better, but this one didn't do much for me), but I feel I was a little let down due to many loose ends such as why Lundy doesn't give Debra a straight answer about their relationship anymore and why he is so terrified of his boss and what the boss is even doing there in first place. The whole Angel situation is dull and silly. It's misplaced and it has no reason to even be included in this episode nor in any episode. What Lila tries to get out of that leaves me with no answers...Let's see what the next episode brings... I am counting on being let down...