Dexter

Morning Comes

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 18, 2007 on Showtime

• Dexter is close to been revealed as the Bay Harbour Butcher in more ways than one.

This is so far the best of the season so far and it felt like so much was happening in the last 20 minutes of the episode like when Deb and Batista found the car the Butcher was using only Dexter was smart enough not to use his own car but used one from evidence storage and now Lundy is certain that the Bay Harbour Butcher is in Miami Metro While Dexter is out bowling he is attacked by his mothers killer but Dexter comes out of recovery and kills him in a convenient fear is Doakes who has only just come back and all he is focused on is Dexter enough to go and find and take his episode has definitely made the next episode a must see.
  • Revelation

Wow... That episode was amazing. I even cannot start thinking what happened. It was all those storylines coming together, some secrets unveiled and much realized.

I adored the writing. It had darkness, horror, but also some really good emotion on it. It had action, excitement, even comedy. It had it all.

I love the way we see Dexter's char envolving. He is more and more drifting away from Lila and soon he realize he has been living underwater, and everything is still there.. And with that, he starts to think clear, sees the connections and the truth is almost as frighting as the one Deb, Lundy and Angel find: it is one of them.
  • The Experiment Is Over Written by Scott Buck Directed by Keith Gordon

Dexter (to himself): "It's one thing to **** with me, another to **** with my ex-girlfriend who hates me. The Lila experiment is officially over".

As experiments go, this one didn't take very long to sour. It was always going to happen though – Dexter would meet someone he'd think he would be able to open up to more deeply and somewhere down the line that person would turn out to be seriously unhinged.

Last season that person turned out to be Rudy, even though Dexter was blissfully unaware that Rudy was both his brother and the Ice Truck Killer until it was too late. This time round he's spent the last couple of weeks letting Lila get to know him and now it's backfired.

To be fair Lila didn't exactly hide her darker side from him. Dexter got those glimpses earlier on when she was able to describe his darker impulses and also showed little concern with some occasional law breaking and lying. However while Dexter did seemingly figure out at the end of "That Night A Forest Grew" that Lila torched her flat to the ground, he was still allowing her to stay with him. It's very funny that the animosity between Lila and Deb also then managed to go up a few notches as Dexter made a poor effort to stay neutral.

In a fun way both ladies were right to diss the other. Lila pointed out that Deb really did need to move out while Deb showed the derision she much deserved. Then again we also know that Deb like a good segment of the core is also a Dexter/Rita shipper so therefore there was no way that Lila was going to be flavour of the month.

As for Lila she did do her best to be as evasive about the insurance stuff as she could be. Dexter at this point definitely knew she torched her own place but he was still confused as to why she would do it. Still it was enough to make him think that some distance between them would be a good idea.

Lila however had other ideas. She wasn't best pleased when he rejected the offer of sex so he could catch up on some work and she even got her own back by inviting herself to Dexter's bowling team with Angel and Masuka. When it came to that, Dexter also had a hard time masking his annoyance that Lila was getting a little too close for comfort.

Lila did make a good impression on Angel and Masuka but as much as they're good characters, it's not like Lila had to work especially hard to win them over. All she did was a bit of casual flirting and that in itself is enough to keep Masuka pretty happy. Masuka isn't really the most fussy of men, although someone like Lila would probably eat him alive if the opportunity presented itself.

Of course the bowling would then have to take a more sour turn when Dexter gets attacked outside the building by Santos Jimenez. Yeah, that evil so and so had to make a return and it was a good job that Dexter did have Angel and Masuka around or else Santos would've gotten his own revenge.

For the time being returning the villainous character was a way for Lila to further sink her claws into Dexter. After all, it was her who unintentionally stopped Dexter from killing Santos back in "The Dark Defender" and once again, it's her that Dexter bares his soul to. The only problem is that Lila caused all this.

When Dexter decided to finish what he started with Santos, it then became apparent that Lila had contrived for Santos and Dexter to meet outside the bowling alley. Seeing as Dexter hasn't killed in a while, there's something satisfying in watching him slay Santos.

Santos is still as unrepentant and vile as he was earlier on in the season and the fact that he's doing cocaine and still threatens to kill Dexter makes it only better that he winds up a dead man. I'm not advocating that we take the law into our hands but the world is better off without people like Santos and there's no point pretending that it isn't when there's a lot of evidence that points towards scum like Santos.

However if Lila not nearly getting him was bad enough, then snooping around Rita's house and scaring the crap out of her definitely overstepped the mark. Dexter got super territorial with the cops when it came to Rita getting protection and when he figured that Lila was responsible it brought out the worst in him.

Lila should pick her enemies more carefully because getting on Dexter's bad side was a major faux pas on her part. When Dexter threatened her, he looked genuinely angry and she did look mighty scared. Of course with four episodes still left to air, I don't think the Lila problem is going to go away from Dexter just yet.

Which for Dexter really should be a bad thing. His problems keep increasing in this episode. One of the minor ones is his attempts to maintain a cordial relationship with Rita. She gets suitably angry when he tries to play the good neighbour during the morning and even Cody and Astor pick up on the fact that Rita is mad with him.

On the plus side the home invasion thing might end up working in his favour. Rita did look impressed when Dexter came to her aid and given that he's determined to flush Lila out of his system it might not to be too long until viewers actually get to see them back together.

That being said, when it comes to problems Dexter still has Doakes to deal with. Getting him fired last week should've effectively have solved that problem but unfortunately without Maria to keep him in line, Doakes had carte blanch to up his harassment of Dexter.

First off he lulled Maria into another false sense of security by pretending to be interested in a security. Either Maria's deeply stupid or too trusting when it comes to Doakes but either way she believes that he wants to make a positive change. It's only when he fails to show up for his interview does the penny drop.

Doakes has had no problem with stalking Dexter seeing as he spent the good part of a month doing it with such vigour. Now he broke into Dexter's house, snooped around and even found his slide collection. That scene really did make my jaw drop and if next week's trailer is anything to go, then Dexter is going to be screwed beyond belief.

If Doakes and Lila weren't bad enough, Lundy only went out of his way to make things just as bad for Dexter. With everyone being forced to reassess old case files, Dexter faces the grilling from hell courtesy of Lundy. Given how well Dexter is usually able to talk himself out of tricky situations; it's amazing how brilliant Lundy is able to counter.

Yes I know Lundy is far older and more skilled, but every line of defence that Dexter tried is shredded within seconds. At the end the only thing Dexter is able to do is lie that he screwed up during a particular case with the blood work and even then Lundy looked pretty unconvinced by Dexter.

Lundy's spent the last few episodes ruffling feathers and having every officer under scrutiny has stirred more bad feeling. Maria seems to think he's clutching at straws and Doakes openly hostile when grilled by Lundy. Angel and Masuka however are more childish in their attitude while Deb is uncomfortable with treading on anyone's toes.

As bad as the situations are for Dexter, he's only got himself to blame. He should've been more cautious when he first started seeing Lila. He also shouldn't have been so reckless in getting Doakes fired and publishing a manifesto as the Bay Harbour Butcher. Thanks to this episode, all of these have come back to haunt him. Harry might have been a hypocrite but I think Dexter is beginning to realise just how needed that code is after all. By ignoring it Dexter just went and created so many problems that he easily could've avoided.

As for Deb, at least she's making some progress. Both her and Angel seem to work incredibly well as a team and this week both of them get notes from a nosy parker named Lenny. Apart from being a cantankerous git, Lenny's notes along with some more internet research only confirm Lundy's theory about the BHB being a cop.

The reactions to this reveal were pretty spot on as well. Lundy didn't seem entirely surprised that this was the case while Deb and Angel were suitably upset. In fact I even think that Angel was even more devastated that Deb was. He was so adamant that Lundy was wrong, so it's got to sting that Lundy ended up being right.

Speaking of Lundy, it looks like him and Deb are a couple and already their differences come into it when they share a meal at their home. I'm not sure I can see them lasting as a couple and Deb did look suitably pissed off when Dexter was less than receptive of his sister's new boyfriend. I can't possibly imagine why Dexter would object to Lundy, could you?

Also in "Morning Comes"

Is it me or are the "Previous On" bits getting shorter with each new episode? That's not exactly a bad thing.

Deb: "Is that my shirt?"
    Lila: "I thought it was Dexter's".

Deb loses points for mocking Lila's accent but I did love the **** nasty vampire description she labelled on Lila.

Dexter: "Good thing I dropped by".
    Rita: "Don't ever do it again. It's too hard on the kids and it's too hard on me. It's Paul all over again. Please stay away".

Lundy: "Weird. Gosh, I'd hate for you to feel weird".
    Deb: "You know what I mean".

Although Lila was nasty when she said it, I think she was right about why Cody kept putting toys in his bag. Deb (re case file): "You just happen to have it with you".
    Angel: "I'm a reasonable man".

Lila: "I like to celebrate the little things in life".
    Masuka: "If you like little, I'm your man".

Judging by her work clothes, it seems that Rita is still working in the same hotel as she was last season.

Angel: "Jesus Christ, they'd sell anyone a gun in Florida".
    Masuka: "Yeah, it's scary right".

Lila: "What do you mean?"
    Deb (re Dexter): "He's not working late. I think he lied to you. Men are such pigs".

Thanks to Jimenez, Dexter now has a new layer in the Everglades when he can do up his victims.

Dexter: "Here we go again".
    Jimenez: "What the ****?"
    Dexter: "I know I keep asking myself the same question".

Jimenez: "I'll ****ing kill you".
    Dexter: "No Jimenez, I'm killing you tonight like you did to my mother".

Standout music: A lot of the score music this season has been pretty good. I don't credit it often but I do like it.

Dexter: "You, you are more dangerous than my addiction will ever be. That's saying a lot. Stay away from Rita, stay away from me".
    Lila: "Or what?"
    Dexter: "Or you will see the monster".

Chronology: A week since "That Night A Forest Grew".

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series, "Morning Comes" ups the ante impressively as Dexter begins to pay for the casual recklessness than he exhibited when under Lila's influence. It'll be interesting to see him dig himself out of it.
  • One of the better episodes in a while.

Dexter is finally killing again, something that I have missed very much. The crazy new girl that I was sooo wrong about it finally gone. The new girl made me start to like rita again. I hope those two get back together but not before she makes him pay for his bad actions with the other girl. The investigation is getting so much closer to Dexter I dont know what he is going to do I normally have guesses even if they are wrong but I am kinda stumped on what he is going to do. I am going to watch the next episode right not to try and make a better guess.
  • Review

Not as deserving of a 9.7 rating as "Born Free" or "Truth Be Told", but still a pretty good epsiode where the last 20 minutes was just followed by crazy moment after crazy moment. Doakes has found out about Dexters little slide collection, which is going to make the next episode very interesting. I don't see how Dexter is going to get out of this now. I guess Doakes is going to put things into his own hands, which is when Dexter is going to get the better of him. Dexter ends things with Lila, which I was hoping for after watching the end of the last episode. Lundy and Deb have officially sparked more then just that one kiss outside of the newspaper building. I didn't see it comign, but it happened. I'm not sure how I feel about it entirely, but the writers did work all season long on getting the two of them together. Dexter returned in this episode with the killing of the man who killed his mother. That brings his kill count this year up to a grand total of...four. Something I didn't see coming after last years big death toll. Overall - second best of season two, which isn't saying much.
  • Nutshell review: Dexter 2x8 - Morning Comes

It's a weird thing but it's true. My favourite of the season is actually a transitional episode. Sort of... While big things happen it's obviously all leading up to even bigger things, thus making this one feel more or less a transitional piece.

THe storyline continues to be suspensful and the final act turns up that suspense a few notches when Doakes finds Dexter's "trophies". Holy crap - I said it loudly whe nI first saw this episode. Dexter finally breaks up with Lila. Not just because he found ou about the fire but because Lila invited Jeminiez(sp?) to attack Dexter. What a crazy b*tch. Of course Dex takes care of him, hmm... and Lila. No, unfortunatel,y he doesn't just kill her yet but definitely does scare him nicely. Though the "You'll see the monster" line was a tad cheesy I thought.
  • The Truth is out there...

After the fire which burned down most of Lila's loft she ends up at Dexter's place.

Later on in the episode Dexter helps clean up Lila's place but soon notices the story she gave is totally wrong.

Rita tells Dexter that he's no longer welcome to just drop in. Having figured out the Bay Harbor Butcher has experience in law enforcement, Agent Lundy informs the local officers that all of their old cases will be re-examined. Dexter is on the defensive and Lundy almost catches him out over one of his cases, close call for now. Dexter also realizes how dangerous Lila's behavior can be, he gets attacked by the person that killed his mother in which Lila called, Dexter soon disposes of him.

Doakes who was suspended for assaulting Dexter, breaks into his apartment looking for evidence; he finds the blood slots (is the game finally up for Dexter)
  • Dexter discovers the truth about Lila.

Good bye Lila! It was about time Dexter kicked that psycho to the curb. Too bad she hadn't killed one more person or Dexter could have taken her out permanently.

The noose seems to be tightening around Dexter's neck. Lundy has found a link to the Miami Police Department, and Doakes has found his trophy case. Despite the noose tightening I feel in the pit of my stomache Doakes will take the fall rather than Dexter.

I still don't like the relationship between Lundy and Debra, but I suppose he's better than the ice truck killer.

I hope Dexter and Rita get back together soon. Rita keeps him grounded and focused.
  • Dexter breaks up with Lila.

Watching Rita tell Dexter to stay away was very sad. Poor kids.
    Lundy closing in on people with a law enforcement background, alienating all the policemen and women, except Debrah, will be interesting.
    I wonder what Doakes will do next, will he quit the force??
    I'm glad Dexter noticed the multiple points of origin of the fire at Lila's and I hope that he'll start to see through her soon. That won't automatically fix things with Rita though. However, after the attack, it looked like Dexter is stuck to Lila, at least for a while.
    Like last week's episode, the kid playing Cody is excellent. Watching him talk about Dexter was heart-breaking.
    Dexter planning to kill again, the guy who attacked him and who killed his mother, was exciting.

Dexter finding out Lila had called Jimenez and been to Rita's house was awesome but not as awesome as him threatening her that she would see the monster.
  • And now what ???

And yet, another great episode, they just keep it coming !!!!

First of all i have to say im extremelly happy with the fact that dex kick lila's ass, but im guessing that she still going to cause him some trouble.

Second, Doakes found the bloods, now what ???? is dex going to kill him ? lundy will think doakes is the bhb ? what the hell will happend ???? im very ansious for the next episode.

Oh and Lundy with deb was so cute, and i loved when lila went to the station and deb made fun of her coz dex lied to her, that was an awesome moment.
  • The ball's in motion...

Just how many more balls Dex can start rolling, who knows, but this last one may be the one set to roll on through season three. I find it hard to imagine Dexter writers letting this major character Doakes slip through the cracks of any bad episode plot. The only question is how long he'll be around the near future seasons to finally present a challenge for Dex. It's like he needs to be locked away for a few years to think about how to get at Dex... Deb and Lundy couldn't be any more predictable. I fear their relationship may be put on hold as this season comes to a close.
  • The FBI continues their investigation into the Bay Harbor Butcher. Dexter discovers that there is something wrong about Lyla.

The FBI continues to close in on Dexter, and seemingly out of the blue the man who killed his father makes a near lethal appearance. As it turns out, Lyla tipped him off to Dexter's location. Dexter returns to Caples (I think that's where the guys bar is...I can't remember his name right now) and decides that his only choice is to kill the man. Before Dexter can conclude his "ceremony" with the disposal of the body, he recieves a call from Rita. It turns out that Lyla has been in Rita's house. She stole Dexter's key. She tells Dexter she went there to look for him when he lied to her about working late. Dexter discovers that it was Lyla that set her own apartment on fire. Dexter breaks things off with Lyla (hopefully for good). It seems that the "old" Dexter is reimerging. Dokes has finally figured out that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher...or presumably he has,after he is told by Agent Lundi that Dexter's blood evidence cost him a case in which the criminal ended up as a victim of the Bay Harbor Butcher. Things are coming fast and furious and Dexter is losing options fast. What can he do about Dokes? What about Deb and Lundi? All I can say is...somebody's gonna get offed.
  • Another awesome ep to another great season! It's now (somewhat) obvious how the season will end in order for our boy Dex to weasel out of his latest conundrum **(possible spoilers)...

First, the strong points: Dex finally (re)embraces who he is and is no longer willing to allow Lila to influence him any more. I thought that her connection to Dexter's attacker was a bit of a stretch as well, but a good enough excuse in itself to "kick her to the proverbial curb". I also find it hard to believe that Dex was so smitten with her that he completly disregards what he knows of Lila's past & doesn't seriously consider (until episode's end) that she started the fire. I also think that Lundy & Deb's developing relationship is highly contrived & unnecessary as a device to create a conflict between Dexter's "nocturnal habits" and Lundy's investigations, as Lundy has shown to possibly have possible suspicions of Dexter's withheld knowledge/involvement of the Bay Harbour Butcher case.

SPOILER ALERT!! The combination of Doakes' find while (illegally) in Dex's apartment & the task force's revelation that Dexter's police department was directly involved in the case leads to my theory that Dex will find a way to frame Doakes as the Bay Harbour Butcher! I predict that by season's end, Doakes will likely die in a shootout w/ Miami PD (as he has become somewhat unhinged by Dexter), thereby closing the BHB case for this season. I'm already looking forward to Season 3!!
  • Best episode to date...(Spoilers)

The whole episode was just full of tension. It was almost too much. Lundy grilling Dexter in the beginning was intense, but I loved it. Lila invading Rita's home was intense, and Dexter having to leave the body there in the wilderness was outrageous! I dont even know if he cleaned it up. It was also CRAZY when it was revealed Lila told that man Dexter was at the Bowling Alley. I didn't know what to do!

My favorite part of the episode was when Dexter said he was officially done with Lila. That made the return of the old Dex official (even more so than him murdering his mother's killer). I loved how he threatened to kill her at the end (or at least "Show her the monster". No sexual joke intended).

And do I even have to mention Doakes taking Dexter's glass slides? That was the most "Oh no he didn't" moment I've ever seen. I absolutely did not expect the show to go there, but it totally did, and now I'm worried for Dexter's life!

I don't know how they did it, but they did, and I officially [heart] Dexter all over again. We only have four more episodes left, and I dont know how Dexter's gonna weasel his way out of this one. But I wanna be with him every step of the way. I hope he gets back with Rita real soon and I hope Harry starts becoming a major character again.
  • Stunning. Best episode to date.

We're left on the edge of our seats waiting to find out how our hero gets out of this one with Doakes in the act of discovering Dexter's collection of blood slides.

The tension is reaching fever pitch as Dexter lurches from one narrowly avoided catastrophe to another in quick succession. First the discovery of his underwater grave site, then the close call in the junk yard with the kid in the car boot spotting him at his work and the CCTV of the marina which he managed to erase before anyone saw it. Now the relentless Doakes who we thought Dexter had finally stymied is back on his trail again.

Obviously Dexter finds a way out of this or the series comes to a rather abrupt end but quite how he does it I can't yet imagine. I'm also glad he ditched Lila who was messing with his head. OK she was quite tasty but who needs someone that manipulative. Perhaps the way is now open for him to resume things with Rita.

Definitely the best series on TV at the moment since House has rather lost its way in the current season. I do wish writers would learn to stop messing about with a good thing for the sake of it.
  • This show just rocks! (Loving the whole Lundy/Deb thing!)(Possible spoilers)

The last few episodes so far have been wonderful and mostly because of the surprising and slightly awkward relationship that's built up between Lundy and Deb! It's just so cute!
    The hug 2 episodes ago was a bit of a shock, the hug that came out of nowhere, then they kissed, had lunch, kissed and maybe had dinner who knows, but I think one of the best parts of the whole episode this week was when Lundy asked Dex what Deb liked to eat! So cute! And later Deb tells Dex she's having dinner with Lundy and Dex, in shock says.. "Lundy? Special agent Lundy?" The look on his face is priceless!
    I first thought that Lundy was getting close to Deb only to get more info about the cops she works with or getting inside info of someone who has survived the wrath of a serial killer, but the way he asked Dex if she liked meat, fish or salad, and even though Dex was caught off guard, it was just obvious that Lundy truly has feelings for Deb.
    In a way I think it's cool that they have hooked up. Deb needs a decent guy in her life (personally I thought Gabriel was just fine, but yawn...), someone she can talk to and at the same time someone who is mature and fulfills her needs, even though some would say she's looking for a father figure, and age wise he fits the bill, but she also needs someone she can respect and feel she's getting the respect back, so now she's got it all in one package. Cool :)
    Although, after the dinner scene, when we saw Lundy and Deb again there was asbolutely no chemistry between them... Weird. I was hoping for a detailed aftermath of how the date went and if there would be another in the near future!

Dexter! I now love Dex again at the end of this episode. I was so annoyed when he hooked up with "pardon my ****" Lila. Even though Rita is extremely dull she still somehow keeps Dex down to earth. Lila just brought the terrible man whose judgement gets clouded out. Rita did the opposite so I'm glad about how this episode ended up.
    I can't wait for next weeks episode and I think I'm more excited to know where this thing between Lundy and Deb is going rather than the Doakes finding Dex's little secret box inside the vent! 10/10 for this episode.
  • Wow -- just... WOW!

Okay, so as a brief summary, I began watching Dexter early this season, through my brother's strong recommendation. So I then watched the first two episodes, and then the entire first season in a span of 48 hours, and have since been more addicted to Dexter than he is to killing.

"Morning Comes" is by far my favourite episode to date, and it has more suspense in it than SPAM has salt. We discover that Lila is totally off her rocker, Lundy seems to be closing in on Dexter (...and on Deb), and Doakes now has everything he needs to confirm Dexter is, in fact, the Bay Harbour Butcher.

And, as anybody who has seen previews for the next episode would probably say, the next episode will be a must-see, as it could very well decide Dexter's fate.

This will most likely be dangerous, as I am sure I am not the only one saying that there isn't much left on the edge of my seat for me to sit on.
  • OMG! Twisting my fingers and biting my lips for the entire episode!!!

Probably the only fun part was Lundy making out with Deb, poor girl, I bet Lundy sensed Dex already and made his move to Deb so as to exert easy info... Elsewise, an amazing episode, leaving you with an uneasy feeling...
    We get to confirm rather quickly Dex's suspicion of Lila (totally from his viewing point) burning down her loft on purpose. And Dex gets to learn how actually twisted she is, and that's a bonus!
    Dex frees himself of witholding his inner monster, after being attacked (set up by Lila!!!) by the guy who killed his mother... Yeah too bad he didn't finish him right there and then. He left the job unfinished though, because Lila happened to break in Rita's apartment right after she found out that Dex is not working late but rather lied to her.
    Things get worse: Lundy starts questioning staff members on their cases after confirming that the BHB is indeed a MPD staff, and he picks out a file where Dex messed with his blood report to free a killer only to find him and send him 6 feet under himself. Dex manages to provide only lousy excuses.
    Doakes after learning from Lundy the case about Dex messing with blood report, breaks in Dex's apartment and God, finds the box in the A/C!!!
    This was the greatest cliffhanger of all times... Judging by the next episode's topic only, we know a thrilling 50 minute await...
  • Holy doody this was a good episode! On the edge of my seat through the whole thing.

I cannot wait to see what happens next. I am absolutely sure that Lila is going to torch something. We (me and the boyfriend) were hoping that it was going to be Dexter's flat while the stinky little snoop was still in there - burning him, the blood evidence AND implicating him - but the timeline is looking unlikely.

The walls are definitely closing in on Dexter and being one of those who hasn't read the book(s) - I am very anxious to find out what happens next.

Also, I love the naughty Deb/bossy FBI father figure relationship. I'm sure it's going to turn dark any time soon - but I still like it.
  • Morning Comes is one of the best episodes in an already great, groundbreaking series. Dexter is the best that TV has to offer.

I just saw the movie No Country for Old Men on Friday. Friends and critics claimed that this movie was near perfect melodrama and suspense. Let me tell you. This episode of Dexter, Morning Comes, makes this movie seem like a Saturday morning cartoon.

This episode of Dexter was the best of the season, and the series so far. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire hour, and could barely breathe. The writing and acting on this show is so outstanding, that I will be stunned if it does not run away with the awards this season.

If you don't have Showtime, get it. If you do, I hope you are watching this series, because it is the best.

I am convinced that Jaime Murray (Lila) will become a star as a result of this series, and this episode. She is a perfect addition to this cast. What a great show.

P.S. - I believe that Dexter will figure out a way to frame Lila as the Bay Harbor Butcher, not Doakes (who seems most likely to be set up).
  • After a universally praised episode 7, episode 8, "The Morning Comes" delivers a tension filled rollercoaster experience from start to finish.

While last episode had the tremendous Dexter/Doakes confrontation, this episode finally had the highly anticipated Lundy/Dexter face off. As Dexter did his best to explain why his blood spatter report was not up to his usually standards on one of the bay harbor butcher victim's cases, Lundy tore into every bit of logic hole in Dexter's story. A very tension filled scene, and both brilliantly acted.

As I posted in the forums earlier, I still believe that Doakes is going to get the rap as the bay harbor butcher. If this is the case, this episode added some very subtle clues. While Doakes and LaGuerta were talking, Doakes mentioned that his father was a butcher. This small clue could be used as ammunition towards Doakes who has been acting rather odd since the case broke out. He's been involved in the same amount of victim cases as Dexter, and missed his job interview which will account for no alibi. Perhaps I'm fishing for a way out as I, much like everyone who watches this show, cannot imagine Dexter going down for this.

But that's just the problem. The evidence against Dexter is starting to build so high it's about to topple over. Does Doakes have a boat at the same dock as Dexter? If not, that entire plot point mid-season is either conveniently forgotten like the video tape, or Dexter is the only possible suspect. When it is learned that a citizen saw one of the victims being put into a vehicle, we start to panic as we know that Dexter had murdered that victim. The tension really begins when Deb runs the plates of the car, but we are soon relieved when we realize that Dexter was smart enough NOT to use his own car to do the crime. Instead it is revealed the vehicle came from the evidence room of the Miami Police Department, thus confirming the bay harbor butcher is indeed law enforcement.

The love triangle took a rather expected turn this week. When Dexter told Lila about the bowling game, one could tell something sinister was about to happen. As Dexter and Lila left the bowling alley, Dexter was attacked by the man who killed his mother. It was at this point it was all too obvious that Lila had contacted the man. As we later discover, Lila's Bi-polar crazy-woman syndrome comes out full blast as she breaks into Rita's home to see if Dexter was there, after lying to her about working late. This created a big problem for Dexter, as he was in the middle of killing his mother's killer, and had to leave the dead body at the cabin. Will this body be discovered?

And then in a moment that I know tv.com Lila-haters have been waiting for, Dexter confronts Lila about breaking into Rita's home, setting him up at the bowling alley, [and burning her apartment down, though not mentioned in the confrontation.] and tells her to stay away from Rita and away from him. I can just imagine all the Lila-haters screaming at the TV for Dexter to kill her right there, and he makes her a promise, if she doesn't do that he will show her the monster.

Lastly and most importantly, Doakes after learning that Dexter threw the bloods patter case decides to break into Dexter's apartment. I, as well as every Dexter fan held their breath every time Doakes walked by the air conditioning vent. And then in a moment of pure drama and tension, Doakes notices the air conditioning vent. I'm sure a collective curse word was uttered by all, as Doakes opens the air conditioning vent and discovers all of Dexter's victims blood.

What are the ramifications of this find? Will Dexter be able to pin this all on Doakes? Or will Doakes finally prove his suspicions and instincts correct, and that Dexter is a phony and a serial killer? How ironic that we are cheering for Dexter, the serial killer to win the war against the only cop that had the right instinct and suspicions about Dexter? Just an example of how awesome and well written this show has been. The quote of the week, while not as great as last episode's "I own you!" to Doakes, has to be "The Lila Experiment is Over."

4 episodes left. The tension and evidence is mounting. Good God, is there anything better than this?
  • Seriously, one of the best Dexter episode.

Yes! Finally an episode that is really Dexter worth. It had me on the edge of my seat. The writing in this episode is admirable. They could have easily dragged events in this episode though 2 or 3 episodes. I had ixed feelings about the last two episodes, mainly because of the Lila-Dexter stuff but this one is a top Dexter classic. The episode left the viewers with quite some cliffhangers, huge cliffhangers. Dexter learns about Lila and hell I love the ending where Dexter threaten her. Meanwhile, Lundy, Batista and Deb find out that the Bay Harbor Butcher is definitely working in their department. And last but not least, Doakes found the "blood collection" in Dexter`s apartment: Holy Sh*t!
    Some huge plot advancer for a series that is back to its best. I cannot wait to see how things developed. How Dex will mange Doakes, given he already is having trouble with Lundy. I personally think that the only way out for Dex is to set up Doakes.
    Great, really great to see the old Dexter.
    Brilliant, one of the series best.
  • The best episode of the season so far.

Most people should have been able to read some of Lila's controlling personality. How did dexter put it at there dinner date "You sure have a way of getting what you want". But now Lila's character is getting darker and darker.

Dexter, returning to his old ways. This is waht I have been waiting for. He was getting a little soft.

The Deb and Lundy relationship, I didn't picture it happening that quick. But she does seem to need someone to lean on al the time. Doakes again proves to be great antagonist in the series. Just when you thought he would be out of the picture fo a little while, he goes off on his Dexter obession.

Rita and the kids, in a way I would like to see Dexter back in there life. But another part of me doesn't. Rita will only hear what she wants to hear and that's all.
  • Every week this show just keeps getting better.

I love the way this show twists and turns.

The evidence seems to be mounting up against Dexter ... how is he going to get out of this?

Doakes seems to have finally put two and two together and fathomed that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher. I must admit that this is something that puzzled me during the course of this season ... the fact that Doakes seems so obsessed with Dexter without ever suspecting that Dexter might be the Butcher. Well the cat is out of the bag now. In any other series Doakes would be the hero and Dexter the villain ... but here we find ourselves routing for the serial killer.

Lundy is also narrowing the field with both Dexter and Doakes attracting his attention.

As for Lila ... she might even be too whacky for Dexter.
  • So many conflict!

By far the best episode so far. Dexter is in trouble. The blood samples are discovered. Dexter gets his revenge on his moms killer. Liala is discovered to be the psycho she is. Hopefully Dexter will get back with Rita. It is pretty much confirmed that the Bay Harbor Killer is working for the metro homicide pd. So many conflicts are born, and many are resolved. This is the best episode since the season began, love the ending. PS: someone should really change the count on the min 100 word review, cause now I am just ranting. Three more words. There.
  • Dexter is back!

Dexter, the original calculating, cold killer is back after this episode. He's decided to stop the 'recovery' experiment (actually he calls it the Lila Experiment) and go back to who he was. Events in this episode force him to decide if he wants to actually recover or not or if he prefers to stay as he always was. He likes bits of who he was becoming, but he appears to miss the life he had with Rita and the kids.

In short: This episode was awesome! Between the interaction between Deb and Special Agent Lundy, to the attack on Dexter from the man who killed his mother, to his realization that Lila is nuts! Come to think of it, Dexter never 'finished' his kill. That man is still in his cabin in the everglades, in pieces, with all the plastic wrap around. Is dexter going back?

Definitely the best episode of this season.