Dexter

Our Father

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2008 on Showtime

• This season premiere scares me...

I'm disappointed. Both previous seasons of Dexter started with a really kickass episode that ended with a shocking twist. In this episode, you get a very short action sequence (which we already saw in the trailers), about 40 minutes of filler (Deb changed her haircut!!), and a rather weak attempt at an ending twist.

The first and second seasons kept tou on the edge of your seat. The Ice Truck Killer teasing Dexter in season one and Dexter being under federal investigation was very entertaining and made you want to watch the next episode very badly. This time, Dexter is not really in danger of getting revealed, since the only crime scene doesn't contain any evidence against him, and the investigators already suspect someone else.

The two new characters, Miguel and Quinn, are pretty standard. Miguel is a stereotypical lawyer trying to play the cops' game without getting his hands dirty, and Quinn is so bland and forgettable I had to read another review just to remember his name, even though I just watched the episode.

The lack of a real antagonist for Dexter this year is very dangerous for the series; the third novel had the same problem, and turned out to be a big disappointment. I really hope it gets better next week, because I really love Dexter and don't want it to go down the tubes like any run of the mill series.