Dexter

Our Father

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2008 on Showtime

• Dexter kills someone he doesn't know to be guilty for the first time, forcing him to question himself, and Harry's code. He starts what looks like an odd 'friendship' with Miguel, an ADA who happens to be the brother of the man he accidentally killed.

I thought it was a very strong start to the season. It juggled a lot of story lines, setting up what promises to be another morally complex and viscerally exciting year. We'll have to see where things go, but Dexter's relationship with Jimmy Smits seems filled with potential. Is he the next Doakes? Or maybe, given the odd connection between them, he's the next Lila (minus the sex, of course). Or some combination of both? I appreciated that they were brave enough to allow Dexter to continue to grow, to become more 'normal'... at least on the outsisde. I'm glad that there are beginning to be cracks in the code, and Dexter is having to grapple with more uncertainty about himself and what he does. I imagine the baby angle will only add to that. And I thought, as always, the show looked cool, and was full of great little moments of writing and acting. I can't wait to see where things lead.