Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews page 15 of 18

• Amazing.

This show is so great. I really can't articulate my thoughts about this show, so I'll do my best.

The concept of a serial killer that kills of criminals isn't anything new, but the writing and acting just make it better than any interpretation of this idea I have ever seen. There are a few differences from the book but the show is still better than anything on TV right now (yes, that includes Heroes, 24, House, Prison Break, all of which are shows that I like and watch avidly). Watch it online if you don't get Showtime.
  • Trying to describe why I love this show wouldn't do it justice. Let's just say that a combination of Michael C. Hall, the heat and sexiness of Miami, and brilliant story writing makes this show perhaps the best new show to come out in many years.

I love this show.

I love the setting (Miami). I actually started watching this show while on vacation in Miami, and you can really feel the vibe from the city in this show more than any other show takes place in Miami (suck it, CSI). I love the characters. Let's not even get started on how amazing the title character is; the way his emotional hollowness meshes with his lust for murder, the way he acknowledges being a 'monster' and thus negating the cliche of vigilante (he only kills these people because he's addicted to it and not because he wants to do justice)... the inner struggle to be a good man during the day and releasing the monster at night, all the while stepping on thin ice at every turn and trying not to be caught by his own friends and coworkers. Dexter is the best character on TV.

His sister, Debra, was amazing last season with her portrayal as a seemingly strong, sexy woman who is vulnerable in heart. The disgruntled Sgt. Doakes is often hilarious and you can just tell right off the bat he's a guy to be feared and admired, and the superior officers shine in how vindictive they are at grabbing power.

I love the story. You can't make this kind of stuff up writing on a bar napkin. This is great stuff, genuine suspense, authentic terror. You feel for every one of these characters, even the ice truck killer and his motivations. I can't say enough. My favorite show.
  • A true gripping tale of moral and crime.

Gosh, this show is truly amazing. First of all, it's not restricted in its language use, in other words, it's truly gritty and realistic.

Dexter is actually a believable character. A serial killer with a code, who kills only other killers. The way this show works is that he's not perfect. He's struggling, he's got issues to work out.

He's trying to "fit in" so that he can better do what he does best. Kill people.

It's a mind warp show and I love it.

Can't wait for season 2!
  • Brilliant this is television writing at it's best

Brilliant and ingenious this is television writing at it's best and the end of every episode leaves you hungry for more and often annoyed that you have got an entire week to wait before you can watch the next episode. This is partialy helped by the fact that each episode ends in an earth shattering climax which will either excite or frighten you and this tradition starts from the very first episode and the Season finale is no exception either. Also the fascinating sub-story lines which include Dexters "projects", cases he works on in work and his relationship with his emotionaly damaged girlfriend Rita help the episodes move while there is no mention of the "ice-truck killer" Main plot line
  • Dexter-America's New Hero: A Serial Killer!

Does the phrase"Only In America" ring a bell? Well it should because it has never been more true than with Dexter! A serial killer that is or probably will become an icon or at least a cult favorite. The character is written with such lovely dark humor and played with such tongue-in-cheek voracity by the angelic looking Michael C.Hall that it could not help, but be a winner. Dexter,the series, is just a comment on our times in so many ways. It gives thought to the fact that we as a culture have become so enured to violence that wrapping body parts to resemble presents is funny-and the ironic truth is that it is,at least in the context of Dexter. You can't help but cheer on this "monster" that is ridding the country of such vile fiith and saving the taxpayers a ton of cash. Be honest,would you turn in Dexter if you knew the truth about him? A poll would be on the negative side,no doubt!!!
  • Dexter is like nothing seen before on TV.

I have only just been introduced to this brilliant show. Watched all ten episodes in 3 days. Its gripped me from the first show, grabbed me by the eyes and didn't let go until number 10. However it has now left a hole in my veiwing time. I am relly happy that the next season is to start in the summer, but until then WHAT are we meant to do. Well here are some ideas. Prison Break, Heros, Oz, The Dresden Files, 24, Nip Tuck and of course LOST. Well i'd like to thank Showtime for bring us such gripping T.V. and hold on to my eyes until the summer
  • When I first saw it, I couldn't believe it. Great new approach on TV-shows. Main character - charming psycho killer ? Hell yeah :-)

TV shows needed something new.
    Dexter is exactly a turn. When I first saw him cutting that body I couldn't believe my eyes.
    My first thoughts were "God, people will think I'm crazy if I continue watching this !". I'm sure many other viewer had similar thoughts.
    We all got tired of court shows, FBI shows, terrorist shows, etc.
    Although I feel that Dexter misses some elements of good drama/crime show, it's overall impression highly neutralizes that loss. Brilliant charm, slight touch of actual feelings coming out from Dexter, moments of fear - you just gotta love him. If you don't, you surely could understand him.
    So, to end this, BRING season 2 !
  • Your just jelous!

"Dexter" will give "Weeds" a run for its money as "Best New Show To Become Totally Addicted To". This show is fancinating on many levels. Foremost, the writing is phenominal. It's smart, funny and definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. Semi-bizzare easily comes to mind. The plot is definitely unique. A kid who just loves to kill things gets the "OK" from Dad to use this skill to rid the world of bad people. Now that happens everyday. The weird thing is you find yourself rooting for this guy... this serial killer.

I didn't see the 1st episode, although my buddy filled me in on some things, and it wasn't hard to get right into the show. Don't hesitate to jump in and experience the Tuesday night ride with "Dexter". Fantastic show! I give it a 9.8
  • The mystery of Dexter goes beyond the dynamics of the story...it stirs something that contests what's right and what's wrong.

Never has a story captured me as much as Dexter. I have both books on my shelf now, but I refuse to read the second book until I have seen the second season...I just don't want to ruin any surprises the next season might have in store. The mere rush from trying to figure things out week by week as the story left me hanging every Sunday (and Monday...of course...I had to watch all episodes showing on both nights), was often enervated by the mystery of, "why on earth am I watching this?" At the end of the season when all stories were told and everything came together, I found that I didn't really care 'why' I had just spent months visiting Dexter's twisted world, I was just glad I had accepted the invitation to tag along for the journey.

Can't wait! Michael C. Hall so brilliantly brings Dexter to life!
  • One of the most original series that has aired on TV for a very long time.

There is something special about Dexter. The show has created a completly new style, and does so with fashion. There are many aspects of this show that intrigue me, but the one that comes to my mind is the fact that the show was planned from beginning to the end from production level. This was going to happen in that episode, that was going to happen in the other, and combined will they tell the story. There was not created additional episodes so that the television company could suck more money out of the show, and television today needs more of this (LOST comes to my mind when writing this for some "strange" reason). The mix of obscurity that you normally don't see in other shows combined with a robust story makes this series a must-see one. And yes, everyone that might say it is so different, it is different. But in a very good way.
  • A groundbreaking show that takes a whole new grip on the drama genre.

I just watched the first episode yesterday and though it might be jumping the gun and writing a review after seeing just one episode it had to be done. Michael C. Hall's character always played second fiddle to Peter Krause's in "Six feet under" even though his character was way more interesting. I'm glad to see that he has gotten another project and man, what a project. This show is like nothing else on tv today. I mean, a serial killer that is a forensic and is someone you actually sympathise with and cheer for? Unique. When I watch a new show I usually give it two episodes to hook me. If it doesn't, the hell with it. This show had me from the first five minutes. Hall's perfect as the controlled and adjusted sociopath. You can almost see the monster lurking beneath his smiling facade just waiting to jump out. A masterpiece plain and simple.
  • Fascinating

Very interesting show. It's about a guy who is a cop by day and a serial killer by night, but not your ordinary slimey no good killer, but the "Robin Hood" of killers as he only kills bad guys. I probably should have classified this show as a "guilty pleasure" rather than "cutting edge" because I have a fair amount of dissonance over the subject matter. After all, how do you sympathize with a killer? Well, the writers manage to succeed as you find yourself liking him as he reluctantly "hones his craft" as he puts it, by terminating the likes of rapists and other random killers who manage to escape the legal system. Good show, but will have you looking at just about everyone sideways.
  • Well whoever they are they're a genius

Although it is quickly becoming a cliche in todays growing entertainment industry, the archetype of a unlikely hero is still a personal favorite. Gone are the days of white-washed protagonists, and good riddance.

The plot and characters share substance and can be considered gritty, and on the edge...it is both real and surreal. The characters themselves face trials and tribulations which many can relate to and i believe that it is one of the factors which make this show a success.

The story of a serial killer/vigilante by night and a forensics agent by day...pure genius...the main "bad-guy" is the "good-guy"...the boundaries of the traditional good and bad are shattered and the two are mixed in a blurry haze resulting in a fabulous story which is part drama, law enforcement, comedy and horror.

A must watch.
  • AMAZING SHOW!! - WATCH IT.. and WATCH IT NOW!!!

Caught the show via fluke on a bootleg website, watched the first two episodes, was ADDICTED, watched ALL of season one in the same night by ordering it on Video On Demand. - A Clever, witty, DARK and INTERESTING show. - Reach the end of Episode One, Season One and I dare you not to be addicted. WATCH THIS SHOW... and WATCH IT NOW!!! Congrats to the team that put this production together - CAST, CREW, WRITERS etc..etc.. - GREAT TELEVISION! **WARNING THOUGH: (Show recommended only for those with a strong stomach!)
  • love it

dexter,a blood Splatter Analyst at work,and a killer at nites.this show gave me so much suprise when i had to wait for prison break and other shows.after watching so much shows like 24,prison break,CSI,vanished,alias,this show is a new kind of show for me,i never thought a show could be like that,bad people and good people can be so close.and i realised when bad people can't be punished sometimes,dexter's way is a nice choice,pay them back in their own coin.
    it's even more interesting from episode 8,dexter's enemy started to show up as a speical identity.
  • Dexter warps the molds of normal TV Dramas, and blends the likes of CSI, with a serial killer twist. The show is easily one of the most highly addictive, and original ideas that has ever came out of a TV show drama!

Dexter is without a doubt the single finest new show of 2006. It is electryfingly bold, catchs you by the throat and never gives up. The whole concept is quite fasinating, and Michael C Hall potrays Dexter amazingly. Dexter has a lot of depth to his charecter, and when we dig in deeper we see him for more of what he truely is. Dexter is easily my fav tv drama ever made, and I can't wait for season 2! Highly Reccomended!
  • It's darkly disturbing, daringly devious, and any other alliteration you could think of to describe my newest discovery - Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

For some reason, I can't take my eyes of the damn thing. Even bought the books.

Dexter seems like the perfect average guy. Moderately good looking. Nice paying job. Girlfriend. Brother. But there's another Dexter underneath that charming exterior. He's a serial killer with a code - Harry's code. He only kills people like himself - people who are tortured with another creature inside of them. The Dark Passenger.

Reading that description, you might ask why in heaven's name do I watch or read something like that. But it's just so horribly hilarious the way that Dexter thinks. Despite being a monster who thinks of killing as just taking out the trash, the inner workings of his mind echoes something inside each and everyone of us. At least, I hope it's not just me. I'm not talking about you having a voice inside your head telling you to kill people. But there's a voice somewhere there that sees a sort of detachment and confusion about the world in general. There's a voice - you can call it a conscience - telling us what to do. It's a voice that you can't just shut out, no matter how hard you try. It's just a pity that the voice that Dexter hears is that of his Dark Passenger.

One of the best new shows in tv. I definitely recommend everyone to take a peek into Dexter's mind.
  • This is probably one of the best shows of it's time, and if you enjoy a little mystery and suspense you'll probably be hooked just as fast as I was.

This has to be one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. I didn’t get to watch the show when it first came on but when I came home for winter break it was on Showtime on Demand and I had exactly a week to watch all the episodes before the finale aired in a week. The show was absolutely wonderful and I couldn’t wait for the story line to unravel while I was trying to figure out the big secrets. And when I watched the finale I wasn’t at all disappointed with the way they decided to end the season. It’s a truly wonderful show and if you’re interested in a mystery full of suspense you’ll love it every bit as much as I do and you’ll be really anxious for it the next season to start in October. Hopefully though, the first season will come out on DVD and you can watch the episodes again while waiting. It’s a long time away but I’m sure it'll be worth the wait.
  • A show about a killer that we are all cheering for. What a different concept. When my freind told me this is a must see, I watched it on tmn all of season one. I was adicted, and can't wait for season two.

This really put a twist on getting rid of that hated neighbour. I actually found myself cheering for him to kill off the bad guys. I did find his sister a wee too bit annoying, when they were going to kill her I was cheering but then they didn't awe too bad. Dexter seems to kill off someone every ep. then came an ep where they didn't I felt guilty actually being disappointed that someone didn't die. All the secrets were revealled at the end of the first season so it will be very exciting to see all the new secrets they can come up with.
  • Life for Dexter, a Blood Splatter Analyst, is full of experiencing the notion of what love is and trying to correct the wrong in the world. With his skills in Forensics, hunts down present and potential serial killers to act out his feelings of killing.

This show will constantly keep you on your toes! The suspense created by the plot will make up yearning to watch the next episode! Although it may seem like it would be really serious in nature, this show has a comical flow to it that will allow you to laugh in the most unlikely parts. Following the path of Dexter finding himself is a rewarding unexpected part of this show that allows a suspenseful movie to ebb and flow into a drama. All hail to Dexter! The best show that I have ever seen and will stay on the top my list!
  • Great plot, great star, great show.

I probably wouldn't have taken interest in this series if Michael C. Hall wasn't in it (Six Feet Under fan here), but I'm glad I did. It's a great premise for a series and a truly talented actor in the lead role. Julie Benz is perfect as Dexter's awkward, equally damaged girlfriend, Rita, Lt. Maria Laguerta is portrayed wonderfully by Lauren Velez, and David Zayas gives a winning performance as soon-to-be-divorced cop Angel Batista. And considering both Dexter and Rudy/Brian (Christian Camargo), has a TV show ever seen hotter murderers?

Save for Dexter's monologues, the dialogue needs improvement, especially on Debra's part (the cursing seems to go in all the wrong places). Regardless, it doesn't take away from the fact that the show has a killer plot, no pun intended.

Dexter is a rare case of an onscreen adaptation being better than its source novel. My wish for the show is that it gets picked up by a major network so that it can get better scriptwriters and a wider audience. Still, I'm glad Showtime has found itself a real winner with this one.
  • Boring show.

1.3
    This show is rated number 1. Yet, though it does have some original aspects, the plot has the potential to be interesting. It is just not carried off well enough. I can stil understand it getting an audience, but bigger than hit shows like 'house'? I personally don't think it is that good. That;s my two cents worth.
  • Can be a bit slow but a very interesting idea. *Some Spoilers*

Dexter Morgan is a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police. But that's just his day job. At night he hunts and brutally kills criminals that have escaped the law. His sister Debs is an officer for the Miami Police Department as well. Searching for a promotion, Dexter helps her solve a crime involving a different serial killer. Prostitutes have been found dead. But without any blood, outside the body or within. Soon after investigating, Dexter is contacted by the serial killer. A doll divided just like the bodies, left in his freezer. Dexter sees it as an invitation to play a game. A game which he does want to play.
  • This has to be the best new show of 2006. Everything about it is amazing well done. The first few minutes will draw you in instantly and will continue to keep you on the edge of your seat.

The acting is overall nearly flawless. Some characters may seem repetitive but it is kept realistic. Dexter is probably one of the most complex and interesting characters on television now. Everything about him is extreme and just fascinating. You can't help but to sympathize for him. The show has bit of a dark humor that may not be for everyone. It is also very graphic and there are a number of gruesome scenes. But the show uses it very well in the story. Since the main character is a serial killer, the morality behind his actions may seem ambiguous. The show does a good job in recognizing it. The story in this season would show changes in Dexter and how he battles his impulse to take someone's life. I think the best part of the show is that each episode is relatively long, about 50 minutes, but it nicely builds on each other for 12 episodes. It doesn't drag out the story like other shows, ie. Lost, etc. If you are a fan of any mystery show, you will not be disappointed!
  • great show.

There are many differences between the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter and the Showtime series based on it; they range from extra subplots to modifications of elements from the source material.

The novel is narrated exclusively via Dexter's POV and focuses mostly on Dexter's pursuit of the Ice Truck Killer. With the exception of foster sister Deborah and foster father Harry, much of Dexter's supporting cast (Doakes, Angel and Laguerta) have all fairly minor roles in the written work. The series expands on their characters, giving them subplots that weren't present in the original novel; for example, more of Angel's personal life and his rocky relationship with his ex-wife are explored.

Another addition is the inclusion of Rita's abusive ex-husband. Although he is mentioned in the novel, he is never actually seen. In the show, he becomes a full-fledged supporting character with varying degrees of love for his children that counteracts his mistreatment of his wife.

By far the biggest change so far is the lead-up and revelation to the identity of the Ice Truck Killer. In the novel, Dexter (and to a certain extent, the reader) is led to believe that Dexter himself might be the one committing the crime due to a series of strange dreams that connect him to the murder; the possibility that Dexter's 'Dark Passenger' is committing crimes when Dexter is asleep is brought up. The final clue is a blurry photo of someone who resembles Dexter at a crime scene. When Dexter later meets the killer, he reveals himself to be Dexter's long-lost (and nearly identical) brother Brian who, like Dexter, witnessed their mother's brutal murder. He kidnaps Deborah and attempts to persuade Dexter to kill her, but Dexter refuses. Later, Detective Laguerta arrives, but she in turn is killed by Brian, whom Dexter later helps escape. (Although the latter is never seen in the novel, Dexter refers to it in the next novel with "Doakes was convinced that I’d had something to do with LaGuerta’s death. This was totally untrue and completely unfair. All I had done was watch – where’s the harm in that? Of course I had helped the real killer escape, but what could you expect? What kind of person would turn in his own brother? Especially when he did such neat work."[3] Later, as a morbid trophy, Dexter adds a drop of LaGuerta's blood to his collection.

In the TV series, the identity of the killer was kept the same but the setup was different. Here, we are introduced to 'Rudy', a prosthetist who becomes Deborah's boyfriend. It is not until late in the series that we learn he is the killer. In the final episode, it is revealed that 'Rudy' was merely an alias, and that his real name was Brian (as it was in the book). Later, Brian breaks into Dexter's home and tries to stab Deborah in bed, only to find out that Dexter had instead used a dummy. From there, Dexter kidnaps and ultimately murders his brother (albeit with hesitation and remorse) by slitting his throat and letting him hang upside down to let the blood drain. LaGuerta is neither present nor killed during these scenes.

How the future novels will be adapted with these conflicts remains to be seen.
  • So there's a serial killer who never gets caught, and he's a forensic scientist?! Awesome!

This is the best TV drama I have ever seen to date, compared to Law & Order, CSI, and any other show based on forensics or the justice system. Dexter is basically on both sides of the law. He really only kills people who deserve to be killed, such as rapists, child molesters, killers that are found innocent, etc. So really Dexter is more of a vigilante, like Spiderman or Batman, rather than just some insane murderer. Dexter was adopted at a very young age by Harry, a policeman at the Miami Police Department, when he found him at a horrific crime scene. When he becomes a teenager, he gets the urge to kill, but to curb his tendencies Harry takes him hunting on a regular basis. He eventually teaches him how to kill people who deserve to die so that he can try to use his skills in a positive manner.

Dexter lead a "normal" adult life and kept his cool by keeping blood samples of his victims until the "Ice Truck Killer" comes about with a unique style of mutulation. He bleeds his victims dry, cuts them into pieces, and then places them in anatomical order. The new "killer on the block" reaches out to Dexter, unbeknownst to his stepsister Debra and the rest of the Department, behind the scenes. Now Dexter and the rest of Miami P.D. are on the search for this killer and his reasons for his crimes.
  • Dexter, the ultimate scramble of police/cop drama, twisted passions and blood all trown into a blender.

Dexter, the ultimate scramble of police/cop drama, twisted passions and blood all trown into a blender. Although I myself have only watched a small amount, I still feel it is a most enjoyable show. The storyline is very amusing, and I say that in the most unsick way. Personally I recommend this to anyone who may be into the whole CSI thing but just want to point out that it is very grpahic and the ideas behind it are of a darker nature than most are acustom to, so this in mind I suggest that if you are going to watch it, you are going to have to be a fair strong person.

Story: 9/10
    Cast: 7/10
    Arbitary Ocassions: 4/10
    Enjoyablility: 8/10
  • great cutting edge show you have to see.

one of the best shows ive seen in a long time.well written,hall plays a excellent part.he was made 4 this role.great story line keeps you guessing and glued to the tv the whole time!!!i cant wait until next season to see what happens. the ending of season one was awesome.
  • A deep interpersonal look at one man whose path was predestined yet took it to a different level....

When I first heard about this show I was eager to check it out. The premise was original and fresh to my untamed desire for something new. Upon watching the very first episode I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the show much more than I had thoguht I would and in a completely different way than I had expected. The character of Dexter Morgan is complex beyond our comprehension. He is not what one would expect from your garden variety serial killer. He does not prrey on the weak and innoccent like most. Instead he takes his urges out on murderers who have managed to avoid the justice system. Along for the dark journey is an array of characters that complement Dexter such as his timid beat cop sister Debrah who wants more out of her position with the Miami Police Department. This show is a gem. It is shame that not everyone has the ability to view this show seeing that it is on Showtime.
  • Dexter is a blood spatter analyst by day, serial killer by night. Finding out early on in his childhood, his father provides him with a code. Get this, he only kills the deserving. Through all this he finds he has an "admirer" who begins a game

Dexter would most definately classify to me, as one of the best t.v. shows on today. Every episode of the first season left me in anticipation, in such a curiosity I was thankful I had on demand. Dexter is a mystery to his friends, family, and co-workers, but also a mystery within himself, and this is what makes it so exciting to watch. This makes you really think... hmm they really did deserve to be killed. Would you be a killer? Most People say no, but watching this makes you really think. Full of suspense, mystery, and even some humor, Dexter is the show to watch if you want to watch a good one.
NUVOTV