Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews page 7 of 18

• Coolest serial killer ever, lets be friends !!!

Dexter is just one show i love to watch, its just something different, different understanding, different vision.

I really did not know where i was stepping the first time i watched this 'freak' show, but damn... after a while... i got addicted ! I just had to watch it all the time.
    I just wish there was a little more of Dexter than these few episodes each 'season'. But oh well i just want to watch even more after a long break :P

There is one thing i really miss from the first season of Dexter is his Loneliness. The way he talks on the back ground saying different things than what he actually thinks. I feel like its 'going away' on the latest episodes... or at least its not as funny as it was.

I might sound creepy on this but watching Dexter... even i want to be a serial killer.
  • At this time, 'the' best crime show on television.

This is a real trend setter and a show that pushes a new boundary when it comes to crime shows. Rally refreshing after seeing the CSI series and probably Las Vegas. The whole idea behind it coming from a novel is also something to be admired. A police officer that is a 'serial killer serial killer', now thats good television and gets away from the everyday New York Blue and Law&Order for that matter. Just hope it goes on with its ideas and shows more breath taking episodes. The best of luck and good bye . la la la la
  • Is it Worth Your Precious Viewing Time?

Ah, finally something completely different on the tube! Dexter is dark, strangely gripping and unlike anything I've ever seen on television. When was the last time you found yourself rooting for a murderer? Dexter Morgan is easily one of the most disturbing character's I've seen in a long time, yet I find myself anxiously waiting to see what he'll do next. His job by day is to help get the bad guys, yet I root for him to really get the bad guys at night when he delivers his own brand of vigilante justice. Will this guy ever get caught?
  • Dexter Morgan is a blood spatter expert in Miami. He has a girlfriend whose two kids love him, and a sister who totally relys on him. He brings donuts to work as routine. Oh, and he's a serial killer. But other than that, he's a really nice guy.

I really like Dexter. Its so quirky and i find it really interesting to have a first hand view of how Dexter sees the world. Watching his interactions with people on a daily basis is really funny, because there are times when his face slips and the viewer can see his irritation. He sometimes comments on whats going on around him, and its usually really funny and makes it impossible for the viewer to not feel understanding. Its really interesting how convoluted our thinking is; you feel bad for Dexter (a serial killer) and hate his enemies (usually cops trying to stop him). All in all its a really good show and is considered my "guilty pleasure". I dont want to admit how much i like the show because by society's standards, normal people should not be so infatuated with a show about a serial killer. Oh well.
  • A perfect look into a serial killer we can all root for.

When I first discovered this show i was reluctant at watching it. However about five minutes into the first episode I was captured and intrigued. It is enthralling and I immediately found myself on the side of a serial killer. The narration of Dexter Morgan throughout the show is full of life and mysticism drawing you closer into his world, is what he is doing right? Wrong? or in a Grey area of society. Most would say not but when you discover the crimes and atrocities these individuals have undertaken against the innocent there is just one question running through your mind, what would you have done if the knife were in your hand?
  • Potential spoilers in review. I think Jeff Lindsay got it right about the people behind the show based on his books, they made it something watchable.

I was a bit skeptical at first about Dexter after hearing a one sentence summary of the show, "Serial killer kills bad guys". It seemed a bit cliche and allowed people to have a nasty, moral gratification session with themselves regarding what is right and wrong. How wrong I was. It's definately one show you have to see before you can come to a clear conclusion on whether you like it or not. It has that dark comedy element that's always interesting to me and featured many actors I've seen in other TV shows i.e. Baptista, Doakes and LaGuerta all Oz alum. Suppose it's one of the reasons I was interested in the show because of the Oz connections.
    That being said, the show is not perfect. I personally find it annoying how each season manages to drag its feet for the first few episodes before finally getting somewhere, but essentially the wait is worth it. Another slight blemish is the how the show deviates from the current three novels bar the first season. I'm a purist at heart and loyalty to the original source is paramount to my ability to enjoy it. I would have loved the second season to be more like the second novel, "Dearly Devoted Dexter", as the villain is quite a nasty piece of work and made Doakes into a non-talking, prosthetic hands and feet travesty. But there are certain subplots of both sophomore texts that are similar like Deb falling for the FBI agent and Doakes tailing Dexter, so I can live with that.
    All in all, solid entertainment and it's definately worth the show being renewed for two extra seasons in it's third season.
  • I ended up watching all of the second season in three days! The show was great and so I had to watch the third season which I did and loved it too… I'm waiting for the forth season (2009)!!!

Alright, The show is great, I love it! So, I remember the show coming out on ShowTime but I wasn't feeling it because I was bummed that my two other shows Dead Like Me and Huff were both cancelled and since ShowTime time has some good shows and likes to cancel them I didn't want to invest my time to a new show so two years later I hear something about CBS picking up Dexter, and I was thinking that's cool… One weekend I had nothing to do and since I have ShowTime On Demand, I might as well watch a show and Dexter looked good and the third season starts in three weeks (Oct 2008), so I gave the show a chance! The first season wasn't available so I ended up watching all of the second season in three days! The show was great and so I had to watch the third season which I did and loved it too… I'm waiting for the forth season (2009)!!!
    I still haven't seen the first season yet...
  • very intriguing...

Dexter is a..charmingly disturbed guy that inspires us all!!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I love this tv series, it has everything that a tv series needs to succeed.. :) clever lines, a plot that makes you be stuck in front of the screen and much much blood!! luv it! :D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I declare myself a huge fan, and i hope that it will continue this way!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Finally he's back where he belongs, this episode turns out to bring the only Dexter back.

There's no such thing as the serial killer in harmony with real life justice. There is no such thing as friendship between our subconscious wish for vigilantism and forgiveness. Dexter is back where he belongs, in that lonely intermediate world of intuitive action.
    There could be no other way than eliminating Miguel, the symbol of the attempt to harmonize both ways. The one is that functioning world with Ritas, kids and Jobs, the other is that mind, always trying to bring our own regime and equitableness over others and that very society. So what does it mean? Every attempt of that personified inconclusiveness Miguel to cross the line has to fail.
    And isn't it so? The father is always right, even being an adulterer or whatever bad sinner in the eyes of the world, i.e. Deb, the child can't help but give in, look for his love and acceptance. Otherwise that very child, means Dexter, wouldn't exist.
    So my killer is back on that lost track, no friend to find, ever.
  • On pins and needles till the Season Finale next week, plus who else thinks Jimmy Smits deserves an Emmy for his work on this show?

I can't wait till the season finale, but then again, that means months and months of waiting for new Dexter eps! This season has been the best by far, and a big part of its success has been the phenomenal performance by Jimmy Smits as Miguel Prado.

I'd like to voice my support for an Emmy nomination for Smits; if anyone has an idea how to do so (via the network or Emmy committee) I'd appreciate the info.

Besides Jimmy Smits' smoldering performance, Dexter is as affably creepy as ever and Deb has been breaking my heart.

I just hope that Dexter and Rita's wedding goes as planned but however it all works out, we can count on the writers of Dexter to NOT leave us hanging, thank goodness. There are more than enough season-ending cliffhangers on t.v., thank you very much.
  • Finally the high stakes have returned!

[Spoilers!] An indication of great television writing is a show that has you playing out in your mind how the script for the next episode will read. Imagining all the myriad possible reactions that Dexter might have upon waking up in the Skinner's chair has been one of my favourite pasttimes this week. Tomorrow is gonna be good!

After a slow start to Season 3, the high-stakes plot that Dexter was so known for in the first two seasons has returned. It may have been the partly the slow setup of several new characters to blame for that (does anyone else think Yuki is completely unneccessary?), but we certainly can't complain about that anymore because the last 10 minutes of this episode were some of the most intense minutes that Dexter has offered yet.
  • watching the bait..

its so easy to watch a movie and get disillusioned, drop the suspension of disbelief, as it were.. and boringly watch the little fish get eaten by the big fish. I am not sure how I feel about him taking someone under his wing and the B plots are always more interesting with his sister in them. I love how every character is shattering into complicated pieces with each ep and even though I know that someone is going to get killed.. its always a treat to see how it is done. This episode of Dexter totally led me to its final conclusion waaay before the hour was up but the shots, the way the writing unfolded the suspense and execution [punny?] were very very interesting to watch.
  • An A-Class show, that has you on the side of the killer.

I first decided to watch Dexter because I wanted to know how a show could make a serial killer seem like the good guy. I hadn't read the books so it was completely new to me.

I found that this show is really interesting and seems to get better and better every season. And we as viewers actually sympathise with Dexter. Personally I like seeing the human side of Dexter, but the killer in him is very entertaining.

The characters in this show are all great, with a few that can be annoying but they all work perfectly. I love how the the storylines get better and better. Keep Dexter coming...
  • A run down of each season.

This show is so amazing.
    This is basically a run down of each season and how I rate each one.
    The first season focused on a killer named "The Ice-Truck Killer" because he drove an ice-truck and froze his victims after killing them to stop blood flow and spillage. He goes through Dexter's apartment and gets information on him and starts leaving messages to Dexter about his past. In the end you find out who the Ice-Truck Killer is and it's shocking. There is a great season finale. This season gets a 10/10. Truly unbeatable.
    In the second season, Dexter must hide that he is a killer after his bags of bodies under the sea are discovered. He is labelled the Bay Harbor Butcher and he must make sure that he is not found guilty for these killings. His girlfriend, Rita thinks he is on drugs and must go to rehab where he meets a woman named Lila who turns out to be very dangerous. Doakes discovers that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher so Dexter locks him away. It all results in a shocking final two episodes. This season gets a 9/10.
    The third season focuses on a killer labelled "The Skinner" because he takes large chunks of skin off his victim and then kills them. Deb is hell bent on finding this killer while Dexter finds out that Rita is pregnant and they soon become engaged. Dexter also meets his first real friend who goes by the name of Miguel. Miguel finds out Dexter's secret and it turns out that Miguel is like Dexter and needs to kill. Towards the end of the season the two have a falling out and they are in a game of chess with each other. At the time of writing this there is still two episodes left and it is shaping up to be one hell of a finish to the season. This season gets an 8.5/10 so far but could improve after the final two episodes.
  • Dexter Season 3 is really upping the pace

This season started a bit slow but well worth the wait, has got absolutely brilliant and the realation ship with dexter and migul is getting very interesting...
    Season 1 was 9 out of 10
    Season 2 - 10 out of 10
    Season 3 - currently 8 of 10 but getting back in form in the last 2 episodes.

Watch this its totally different to anything else on TV, totally brilliant and dexters flashbacks make it all the more interesting.

overall - 9 out of 10

Ever shows ilike Heroes 10 out of 10
    Lost 7 out of 10
    Brothers and sister 7 out of 10
    Merlin 7-10
    Smallville 8-10

god i watch to much TV - i need to get out more
  • Some major plot developments this week as Dexter finally gets back to Season One quality.

*spoilers ahead*

I have to be honest and say that i felt disappointed by season 2 and although season 3 has been a lot better, i still didn't think it got near season 1. Although it certainly still remained one of the best and most entertaining shows on TV it still lacked the pure tension and suspense of the first year. But at least this episode does live up to the standard set in the first season, and the last two episodes promise to be real high points two.

The friendship between Dexter and Miguel has finally blown up and all pretense is now finally gone, with Miguel now also knowing Dexter is onto the fact that Miguel played him for a fool with the blood stain in the shirt. Now two serial killers are openly playing to win the game. This is a position that must have more of a downside to Dexter then it does to Miguel because Miguel is someone everyone in Dexter's world knows and still thinks to be his friend.
    And after all, Miguel doesn't "need" Dexter to stop his killing ways but Dexter does need Miguel to stop, which means Dexter has more to lose in this game. To put it simple, Miguel could potentially accept a stalemate but Dexter needs the win and nothing less.

The skinner is now in cahoots with Miguel and recruited by him to go after Dexter. The question is: was the skinner in cahoots with Miguel the whole time, or from what point? Certainly at least from the point where the skinner was being interrogated and released by Miguel. But i had my suspicions their "relationship" might go further back, although this would cause some plot holes to show up.

One thing the other reviewers didn't mention so far is another interesting plot development, which is that LaGuerto may go after Miguel as well. Knowing from the confrontation with his wife that Miguel had gone missing that night and that he wasn't with her (LaGuerta), and possibly remembering what the suspect said about the "dark SUV with the bright headlights", LaGuerta having been almost blinded herself by the headlights of that SUV, may start looking into Miguel herself.
    Of course, looking into Miguel's situation might also sound off alarm bells with her about the nature of his friendship with Dexter and Dexter himself.
    Could it be that this potential discovery would be the start of next season's plotline? And finally, the skinner captures Dexter to do some major damage to him. Will the show allow Dexter to be seriously, physically hurt (without being killed of course, or there wouldn't have been a two-season extension) by this psychopath or will Dexter manage to turn the tables before the skinner has the chance to put his tools to use?
    This brings to mind the scene from "Hannibal" where Hannibal Lecter was captured and about to be fed to the hungry pigs but managed to escape at the last second.

Next episode promises to be a really great episode. It would have to be of course, being the next to last episode of the season.
  • American way of die

Esperé, sí, esperé porque los primeros... 5 capítulos me parecieron cerca a lo malo y entonces le hubiese puesto con suerte un 7. Pero decidí, como ya aclaré, esperar y ahora (un tanto generoso) le pongo a Dexter un 8,5. Lo que pienso de esta serie lo pueden chequear en los reviews que hago de cada capítulo religiiosamente pero destaco lo poco que me gusta la actuación de Michael Hall, de lo obvio de la mayoría de las tramas, de la sequedad de algunos personajes y de lo demasiado cultura americana que se ve no entiendo o no comparto. Igual la sigo viendo porque no es tan desastrosa y va mejorando (poco y de a poco).
  • Serial

Sí, yo soy un asesino serial, mato gente porque me gusta. Les voy a contar cómo: cuando llueve y el cielo entero está gris me calzo el sobretodo y salgo a recorrer las calles de mi ciudad: Barracas. Suelo esperar frente a la puerta del Hospital Británico esperando que akguien salga feliz de dentro. Y entonces camino detrás suyo, le pido fuego (sí, ya sé que está lloviendo, es una ironía) y ahí nomás ataco: un spray a los ojos que los deja inconscientes. El resto trataré de dejarlo a su entera imaginación, no es lo más importante. Sólo les diré que los grabo en audio para guardar por siempre sus últimas palabras; no quieren tener una idea de las cosas que escuché.
  • The contrast between living life killing, is amazing.

It took me a while to get on board with Dexter, mainly because the story of a serial killer is always the same. This one is different... Dexter is a forensic blood spatter expert, and knows exactly what the police looks for in a murder case. As part of his nature, he has this thirst for killing, and has his fathers code to guide him on how to kill without getting caught.

Dexter is one of the best series I have ever seen, because it is the first time that the main character is not the good guy, innocent guy, but the killer, the one that knows is wrong. two seasons have passed, and dexter is starting to change. In the first season, it was all about the code, while trying to become part of society, learning how to feel, how to be a human. Second season things changed, and the code started to show its weaknesses. Third season is all about the code basically. Dexter challenging the code, and that led him to his first feeling, real feeling. The interesting thing to notice here is while it seems like dexter is not a normal guy, can't feel, doesn't have emotions, when he is challenged, this feeling of anger apears in him, showing that he IS a human, and that there is something blocking his emotions, the code. Dexter is all about the killing, and in fact the character itself clearly tells us that he can't controll his will of killing, and dexter blamend this hunger on the fact that he can't feel anything, but interestingly, only when he breaks the code in a dramatic way, he pays for it, and feels his first real emotion.

Dexter has its nasty parts, with bodies, blood, etc, but it has also this catch, this impact on us, people that don't know how it is to want to kill, how it feels to kill someone, and shows how this hollow man, is able to live with himself everyday, killing for the "right causes". Is there a way to justify killing? who can define what are the "Right causes" to kill someone? those questions are discussed in the series, and while everyone thinks that the killer is cool, there is a hidden message, showing us that even when Dexter has the perfect reasons to kill, it is killing him from inside, making him hollow, showing us that only those who are inhumane can kill someone for any personal reason.
  • Can This Show Get Any Better!!!

This Show Has Got It All - This Is My Personal Favourite.

It Just Has A Great Mixture Of Violence, Suspense And Also Comedy

Season 1 Was Amazing As Was Season 2 And Season 3 Aswell And Hearing That Theres 2 New Seasons Makes Me Very Happy.

Alot Of Shows Lose There Thunder After A While But This Show Constantly Makes Good Episode After Good Episode There Hasnt Been An Episode That Hasnt Surprised Me Or Made Me Turn Off The T.V

I Really Hope Season 4 and 5 Are As Good As The First 3 Because If They Are This Would Be A Rare Show That Doesnt Miss A Beat. Micheal C. Hall Keep It Up 10/10
  • I just love it!

Dexter, it's a show for everyone. Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) is a great actor, he is keeping this show alive! Some people dare to claim that those Emmy® Awards or Oscar, that it is a fake, but no, just look at Michael C. Hall and everything is clear! The man rocks! Let me tell You something: ''Prison Break'', I would rate it with 10 out of 10, it is a master piece but I watch it only because I want to know the end :) but Dexter, I just can't wait for a fresh episode! The show is marvelous! People enjoy!
  • The scene in 3x08 where they kill the gambler guy together totally gave me goose bumps. My deepest respect to the writers to come up with this idea, it was such a moment and I didnt want it to end (does that make me a sicko serial killer too? :-))

Is it me or is Dexter just getting better and better.
    I mean Heroes, Lost and Prison Break started hard and then flattened out, but Dexter just keep getting better.

Still I just cant get over how well written, directed and played this series is. Its VERY rare you see such quality and brilliance in the dialog.

KEEP IT UP GUYS!!
  • How touching ... a new serial killer is born.

Friends who play together stay together.

Miguel shows his dark side ... and it proves to be very dark. Still I was left stunned by the final scene. That is what I like about Dexter ... the way it sets you up for the one two punch. No doubt Harry's words will come back to haunt Dexter later in this series when he is forced to clean up this mess.

Debra has her own serial killer problem with it looking like her boyfriend may be the next victim ... if he isn't already.

After a slow start to the series it is back to the Dexter of old.
  • Sympathy for a killer? How can that be?

If you asked me to describe Dexter in one word- serveral come immediately come to mind, clever, twisted, compelling, dark, funny, and I could come up with a few more. But, not just one.

Dexter is an adaptation of the novel, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, by author, Jeff Lindsay. The Showtime hit follows the life of a forensic pathologist who moonlights as a serial killer. The catch- Dexter follows The Code, a set of rules written for Dexter's protection by his stepfather. At the top of this code, is the golden rule: Dexter must only kill the really bad people.

Showtime is unknown for its controvesial programming. However, Dexter is something completely different. It is a clever character study that asks the viewer to care about a cold and calculating killer. It is nearly impossible not to care about him. Michael C. Hall delivers a dead on performance as the killer in question. Hall is able to show us that Dexter is the type of guy who would help your grandmother cross the street. He is gentle, kind, and good with children. What is not to like?

This is not a show for the weak of heart. Make no mistake, it is distrubing as much as it is compelling. There are many gruesome moments. The thing is, there is a whole lot more. Dexter forces its viewers to sit on their couches and question the moral codes that they have been taught. Dexter bears his soul for all to see. The question is, what is it that you see?
  • this is a great show.

my brother first got into the first season and i just couldnt get into it as i had to watch little clips every now and then because i didnt have the time to watch it properly. but then i finally got the time and was hooked from the start. after the first season i didnt think it could get any better but then when i watched the second season i was amazed that they had come up with another plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat. this season has been OK but i do not think it is up to the standard of the first two seasons. however it is interesting now that Migel Prado is dexters true friend and i want to see this develop.
  • This show has disappointed me i was a fan but this season has me looking for something else to watch

I ordered showtime after watching the first two season on dvd. I was a huge fan from the first few episodes. I was expecting big things from the new cast and the ending of last season. But I have become fairly disappointed. I have ordered the books also hoping that maybe next season the go back and look at the book and try to pick up the action again there really hasn't been much suspense this season. I really hope they pick it up because I would hate to see such a great idea go to waste like this season seems to be making it
  • The fantastically dark tale of a man and his strange urge to kill those who do not deserve to live. However, working as a forensic detective makes it hard to keep his head down and not seem suspicious. But no matter how hard he tries, he needs more blood.

I have to say: Dexter is magnificent! The story of a serial killer killing murderers I thought is just great because this is a serial killer you can almost relate with. He is different to everybody else; almost an outkast. He is always on his guard to make sure that people never discover 'his monster.'
    But anyway, the review: Dexter's storyline consists of a different story every season. The first season was based around him trying to catch the 'Ice Truck Killer' and the second was based around him trying to escape from the fact that he is the 'Bay Harbour Butcher' and the FBI are now looking for him.
    The characters are all great but the one that really shines is Dexter himself. He is just such a slick and cool character and with a name like Dexter, just makes hime sound even more sinister.
    The opening sequence is fantastic as it points towards murder in many ways, you really need to see it to know what I mean.
    Overall, I would give Dexter a 10/10! Highly recommended!
  • If you haven't seen The Latest Episode And don't want to ruin it SPOILER ALERT!!!

Well I thought Season 1 was awesome, season 2 awesome! And season 3 had abit of a slow start which was kind-of annoying and I would give it 9.5 but Some episodes this season have been slightly dry and nothing really going on. I am enjoying the whole plot about the ''Skinner'' case and I really have no Idea who it is. My only guess is Quin, but who knows. There's only going to be 5 more episodes (I think) and That fat women who wants Dexter to find the perfect pie?! I can't believe she new!!! That means there's been 2 people who know his secret. But I am interested to see what happens with the whole palm trees thing. And the show is still Superb Which I'm hoping their will be a 4th season because the 4th book is coming out next year!!! And Dexter haters can suck a Pickle :P
  • Can we all just get along

This season is a big let down !!!
    Why is every one getting a friend this season , dexter gets a friend , his girlfriend rita has a new friend. the LT Maria LaGuerta makes a new friend.
    Angel Batista has a new friend. Deb is getting a new friend. Like are these the same writers that gave us season 1 and 2 . ?
    Because based on season 3 , this show is a dud.
    No suspence , no big plots. Just a bunch of people making friends, , this season is over half way thru , and its been a snore fest
  • Dexter Morgan; Cop, father, serial Killer.

At first you might say to yourself how can you write a show like this and make it believable. That is what I thought and well I must say that they have delivered. You would not believe the twists and turns that accompany this show in every episode. I have not seen one episode that has disappointed me. The cast is great and the story is too. If you want a great adult cop show that is not you boring crime scene show then this is your new wake up to life. If you have settled for crime scene investigating on other networks then you have truly lost out on the greatest show to ever dawn on our tv sets. Check this out Dexter does not disappoint.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11