Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews page 7 of 18

• This is one of the best shows of all time. A show that has me sympathizing and believing in a serial killer, as I sit on the edge of my seat. Sends shivers down my spine every time - the show is exhilarating.

I dont know how they do it, but I really dont want to figure it out just yet :)

More suspense than Lost, yet its great that most episodes reach a satisfying conclusion, they just leave enough dangling to make me want to see the next episode, and like how! lol

I really dont think there is any show better than this one on these days, and I'm comparing this to 24, Heroes, House, Top Gear, Fringe, True Blood, Greys Anatomy, Kyle XY, Smallville, Psych, Monk, Lost (descending order on my favs list).

Its a shame its a little under-appreciated. It should be on the top 10 list on the front page, but its not :(

I know it'll make your spine tingle! enjoy watching it!
  • just the best serie i have ever seen. i feel like a conection with dexter, its like i have a dark passenger too, i just love the books and i love more the serie, michael c hall make me belive the history even more sorry for my english but im a chil

very good serie i give a 10, cause i just love it.
    simply perfect :D Born Free is just the best episode ever of any serie of any time
    just the idea of a forensic serial killer who knows all the prossediment of the police makes me afraid

in the second season amost catch him but nobody can with him

sorry for my bad english but im a chilean with the basic english studies :B
  • One of the best out there

Dexter is a serial killer for justice. This show uses a classic premise of a bad guy fighting the good fight with a twist. He's not a demented masked man or a tragic super-hero. Its not set in a magical land or a technological future.

The sociopath of this story is a forensic cop named Dexter Morgan living in sunny Miami. His work places him in grisly cases in forensics. His hobbies include tracking and hunting criminals who escape the law. The end result is final as he brings them to justice.

The complexities of this series and characters are handled incredibly well by the writers, actors, director, etc. What intrigues me most is Dexter having to feign having emotions because he does not have any of his own. The only emotions he gets is the rush of the kill. A clever, smart show that is a must for any viewer.
  • One of the best tv show of all time.

I have to admit dexter is one of the best shows. Although I don't have Showtime and I will have to admit that I didn't think this show was any good until I decided to give it a try. Boy was I wrong. The show is smart, funny, and has it's own flavor that now tv network has right now. I wish the asian dude wasn't so annoying. When will we ever get our break, playing the cool smart guy type of character??? Well we had our first half black president maybe in about 20yrs or so we might get our break. =(
  • How can a cop kill and be loved by so many? Simply by being dexter. His code of honour is a modern day Robinhood story with an edge of your seat plot.

Dexter manages to survive the grusom murder of his mother only to be rescued by a cop that can see his future in slaying villians that escape the law. This in its self is a bad thing gone good, the urges Dexter feels for the kill have been controlled by his newly found foster father. The love twists really get grips when a lover or two enter dexters life, one being not so good for business gets dealt with eventually. Dexters sister being a fellow cop adds a level of tension to Dexters daily work routines as a blood analyst. But the two biggest ordeals deal with his long lost brother, who shares a common trait and a newly found friend that comfory in dexter style shoes.
    Now we watch and wait as dexter approaches fatherhood.
  • Dexter is a truly unique gem among not just crime shows, but all television shows. It's deliciously twisted, darkly fascinating, and disturbingly amazing.

"Let's just say I'm not exactly the boy next door." Thank God for that. Dexter Morgan is quite possibly the most unique, interesting, intriguing, and fascinating character to ever grace either the small or the big screen. Dexter is a blood spatter forensics expert who works for the Miami Police Department. He is the foster father was a cop, and Deb, his foster sister is also a cop. His girlfriend, Rita, has two children that he cares very much for. But that's just by day. By night, Dexter goes around meting out just on his own terms to people who have beaten the system. Serial killers, serial rapists. Those who have defeated the system are now targeted by Dexter, who is meticulous and exact. Dexter appears to be a caring brother and boyfriend. But in reality, he is a serial killer who targets serial killers.

Dexter is powered by a stunning performance from Michael C. Hall as the title character, Dexter Morgan. Hall is absolutely perfect as both versions of Dexter. There is Dexter Morgan of the day, who cares for his sister, his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's children. But the truth is that this Dexter is a fake, a façade. The true Dexter Morgan is smart, cold, and calculating. He feels nothing for anyone. Hall is definitely the best man for the role, and he delivers one of the best performances on the small screen.

Even though Dexter is definitely about Dexter, the supporting cast is also great. Julie Benz is immediately likable as Dexter's broken girlfriend, Rita. She plays the Plain Jane part to the hilt, and she deftly adds the extra layer of brokenness to the character. Jennifer Carpenter as Deb, David Zayas as Angel, Lauren Velex as LaGuerta, James Remar as Harry Morgan, and Erik King as Doakes. All of these characters seem to be a little two-dimensional at the start of the show. But as the first season progresses, you see through the layers of all of the characters, and they become very real and very personable.

Dexter also features a great environmental feel. The color palette of the show is almost oversaturated, and it really pops out the colors of the show. The cinematography of the show is expertly done, as is the music. The music alternates back and forth between intense instrumental pieces and Latin-style pieces that show the spice of life in Miami, Florida. The voiceovers from Dexter also work really well to delve into the mind of Dexter, and it definitely adds a unique feel to the show.

Keep in mind, while I think this is an absolutely amazing show, it's definitely not for everyone. Some of Dexter's kills left me a little bit shaken, particularly his first kill (first for him, not the show). Also, the crime scenes could definitely be disturbing to some people, as the first season revolves around the Ice Truck Killer, a man who kills his victims, dismembers them, and drains the blood from the bodies. There is one crime scene in particular later in Season One that is filled with more blood than you will ever see. Also, since it's on Showtime, they feel obligated to have language and sex. It's no worse than most R-rated films, but it's different for a television show.

Overall, Dexter is deliciously twisted, darkly fascinating, and disturbingly amazing. It's anchored by a powerful and excellent performance from Michael C. Hall, and it also has a great supporting cast. The subject matter may put off some people, but if you want to see a crime procedural that revels in the shades of gray, then Dexter is the show for you. "I'm neither man or beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter. Boo."
  • Visceral, deep, dark emotions in a personal drama.

Double life in a single one, hidden, socially damaged and perfect balanced character. Real emotions reflected in blood, feelings covered by a 'standard', a 'code'. Dexter has action, drama, blood what else for a TV show, far from being an ordinary one, for me is compared to art. Characters feelings contrasted by Dexter's inner self morbid needs, and his double life ruled by a self made ethics code learned from his father in a rush to make a damaged boy into someting productive.
    Shows Dexter's real dark feelings learning about the human life, and how does he evolve with people feelings
  • Serial for night only :)

When i finished all episodes of House I must find some new serial to watching. After short searching I found Dexter , I read some nice reviews so I decided to watching this serial. Now when I am after a few first episodes I can say It`s nice serial to watching for really dark night :) and for people with strong nerves. Serial is really hmm curious and smart , he`s talking about consecutive killer which can hide every assassination and he ofcourse working in police. That`s some psychological war between him and spectators who better to endure the tension. Michael C. Hall ( Dexter Morgan ) is good actor and he really good play that consecutive killer :). I think this serial in next seasons can be only better, for now he is decent so I give him note eight, the rest we will see in future :)
  • you may think the show is about killing, well i think is about living with the idea that no one nows who you truly are.

why should you watch dexter? well, because, by watching it, you actually get to know how a serial killer thinks, you can almost feel what he feels. mainly, the show portrays the life of a man who accepted who he is: a serial killer. dexter is not a bad guy or a hero, i think he is just a sick man who couldn't find a cure. michael c. hall through his character shows another part of a serial killer, a part that let's you think of dexter as a person and nothing more. after watching the show i started to think: could i blame a cop who kills bad guys? could i ask him to stop? am i ofended that someone pays for her/his actions? what i do know is that dexter is my favourite serial killer. i highly recommend the show!
  • ...

So, at the beginning I'll be kinda brutal, because when I first saw "Dexter", the very first thought was - "what the f*ck, who will watch TV show like this. A cop who investigate murders and then kill people..". To sum up first feelings about this show - a crap, which I didn't like and I even didn't give it a chance to prove itself as good show, so as you understood I didn't watch the second episode. But it was a while ago.
    I don't know why and I can't remember why, but couple weeks ago I considered to try to watch it again - the story about psycho - but this time I started to watch with the 3rd season and you won't believe, ok, maybe you do, I fell in love it. Still there are some scenes that are disgusting, but the best thing about it - I like "Dexter". Dexter as character is a "little" bit strange, but now I understood why he keeps murdering people, they are bad guys, who don't receive their punishment so they continue to commit the crimes. So there comes Dex and eliminate them. Bravo! I can speak about the 1st two seasons, but what I like about the 3rd one is the interaction between characters. They are totally linked up with each other. There are romance and there are rough stories. Code of Dexter. The only character that pisses me off sometime is Morgan, because she swears too much. But still I like her as much as Quinn, LaGuerte, Rita, Dexter and Batista.
    And yeah, now I can't wait to see season 4, I'm looking forward to watching it ASAP.
  • It was better before.....

The first season of Dexter was just the best thing ever! i couldn't wait to see another episode.. i spent my hole time anxious for what the hell was going to happen. the second season was tense. i was worried about what could happen to him, but not that anxious, you know? But the third season!?!??! omg! it's a load of rubish!! I CAN'T watch a hole episode without getting bored!!! i just decided i'm not gonna watch Dex anymore. maybe later, on itunes, if i have too much free time, but seriously, sleeping sounds like a much better ideia. and i really used to love it. omg.
  • This is the first show that I recommend to everyone who hasn't seen it. Contains Everything that makes a compelling adventure.

When I first heard about this show I didn't think it would keep me interested in its serial killer premise. Only after watching the very first episode I was hooked! It really is top notch stuff that I crave from many shows that I watch. The people behind this show are great in creating awkward situtations for Dexter to find a 'solution' while also keeping true to each character, which you grow fond of quite rapidly. If you ever have a thirst for blood and a bit of dry humour then this IS the show to keep your week more exciting ^.^
  • This show shows the point of view of Dexter, a cop that also happens to be a serial killer. It shows the personality disfunctions that he deals with, and having little to no emotions

One thing that i hate about this show is that it is only on once a week and on at 1:00 in the morning! Technically that has nothing to do with the show, but the television provider, but whatever! ! I really like this show even though it is kind of disturbing, violent and did i mention disturbing? ? I really love Dexter, even though he will never love me back, because he is just so different that all the other shows main characters that all act the same way. Dexter doesnt really have any emotions, so not a lot of personal conflict,except for the woman who loves him back.
    All in all i really like this show.
  • This is a great show not only because of the subject...

This show is based on a great ideea - a sociopat serial killer that works for the police, but what really makes it great is the approach of the subject and the acting. I saw Michael C. Hall on `Six Feet Under` and he didn`t impress me. His character and acting were pretty linear. But `Dexter` allows, even requires him to play much more. Just seeing his face changing from mood to mood makes the show worth watching. It is also filled with funny little comments and remarks. For a guy without feelings, Dexter is quite ironic. My advice is to watch the show. Enjoy!
  • The same idea over and over again

Does anyone else feel bored watching dexter catch, tape, slice, sample and dump his victims, the same way every single time? It seems like the only idea the writers have is the obvious ones, almost being caught and a friend that would understand his dark side. I said it would make a good movie, probably it would be one of the best horror flicks because it has two to three main ideas, but not a Tv show, because it demands constant new ideas, seeing the same thing over and over again is plainly not entertaining, also the story line is very vague, why would dexter want a divorced 2 kid mom? How does it seem like he is too evolved, yet he tells himself he isn't? Why the hell do i still hear his sister complaining about daddy issues, it's all she ever talks about?! (Not to talk about her cliche acting style which just irritates me).
    You have to be stupid not to tell that this show is overrated.
    I love the idea , its brilliant but the show needs a new writing staff and to get rid of some old characters. start fresh new city, it'll bring back some lost excitement.
    Rebuild the show, not by spreading a max 3 and a half hour idea to 12 hours, that's just plain dexter of you.
  • Delightfully Dark

Ok let's get right down to it. Dexter is one of the only shows that has the unique ability to take one of society's most despised criminals and actually make the audience like him. Dexter is a serial killer.

Like most serial killers, Dexter was born with an uncontrollable desire to kill. However, through the mentoring of his adopted father, Dexter was taught to channel those desires through unconventional justice, but he is no vigalante.

Dexter has placed himself in the unique position of working for the forensics department of the Miami police department. Dexter seeks out murderers whom have otherwise escaped justice and delivers his own brand of death penalty. Audiences find themselves rooting for a serial killer while finding redemption upon Dexter's successful slayings.
  • Coolest serial killer ever, lets be friends !!!

Dexter is just one show i love to watch, its just something different, different understanding, different vision.

I really did not know where i was stepping the first time i watched this 'freak' show, but damn... after a while... i got addicted ! I just had to watch it all the time.
    I just wish there was a little more of Dexter than these few episodes each 'season'. But oh well i just want to watch even more after a long break :P

There is one thing i really miss from the first season of Dexter is his Loneliness. The way he talks on the back ground saying different things than what he actually thinks. I feel like its 'going away' on the latest episodes... or at least its not as funny as it was.

I might sound creepy on this but watching Dexter... even i want to be a serial killer.
  • At this time, 'the' best crime show on television.

This is a real trend setter and a show that pushes a new boundary when it comes to crime shows. Rally refreshing after seeing the CSI series and probably Las Vegas. The whole idea behind it coming from a novel is also something to be admired. A police officer that is a 'serial killer serial killer', now thats good television and gets away from the everyday New York Blue and Law&Order for that matter. Just hope it goes on with its ideas and shows more breath taking episodes. The best of luck and good bye . la la la la
  • Is it Worth Your Precious Viewing Time?

Ah, finally something completely different on the tube! Dexter is dark, strangely gripping and unlike anything I've ever seen on television. When was the last time you found yourself rooting for a murderer? Dexter Morgan is easily one of the most disturbing character's I've seen in a long time, yet I find myself anxiously waiting to see what he'll do next. His job by day is to help get the bad guys, yet I root for him to really get the bad guys at night when he delivers his own brand of vigilante justice. Will this guy ever get caught?
  • Dexter Morgan is a blood spatter expert in Miami. He has a girlfriend whose two kids love him, and a sister who totally relys on him. He brings donuts to work as routine. Oh, and he's a serial killer. But other than that, he's a really nice guy.

I really like Dexter. Its so quirky and i find it really interesting to have a first hand view of how Dexter sees the world. Watching his interactions with people on a daily basis is really funny, because there are times when his face slips and the viewer can see his irritation. He sometimes comments on whats going on around him, and its usually really funny and makes it impossible for the viewer to not feel understanding. Its really interesting how convoluted our thinking is; you feel bad for Dexter (a serial killer) and hate his enemies (usually cops trying to stop him). All in all its a really good show and is considered my "guilty pleasure". I dont want to admit how much i like the show because by society's standards, normal people should not be so infatuated with a show about a serial killer. Oh well.
  • A perfect look into a serial killer we can all root for.

When I first discovered this show i was reluctant at watching it. However about five minutes into the first episode I was captured and intrigued. It is enthralling and I immediately found myself on the side of a serial killer. The narration of Dexter Morgan throughout the show is full of life and mysticism drawing you closer into his world, is what he is doing right? Wrong? or in a Grey area of society. Most would say not but when you discover the crimes and atrocities these individuals have undertaken against the innocent there is just one question running through your mind, what would you have done if the knife were in your hand?
  • Potential spoilers in review. I think Jeff Lindsay got it right about the people behind the show based on his books, they made it something watchable.

I was a bit skeptical at first about Dexter after hearing a one sentence summary of the show, "Serial killer kills bad guys". It seemed a bit cliche and allowed people to have a nasty, moral gratification session with themselves regarding what is right and wrong. How wrong I was. It's definately one show you have to see before you can come to a clear conclusion on whether you like it or not. It has that dark comedy element that's always interesting to me and featured many actors I've seen in other TV shows i.e. Baptista, Doakes and LaGuerta all Oz alum. Suppose it's one of the reasons I was interested in the show because of the Oz connections.
    That being said, the show is not perfect. I personally find it annoying how each season manages to drag its feet for the first few episodes before finally getting somewhere, but essentially the wait is worth it. Another slight blemish is the how the show deviates from the current three novels bar the first season. I'm a purist at heart and loyalty to the original source is paramount to my ability to enjoy it. I would have loved the second season to be more like the second novel, "Dearly Devoted Dexter", as the villain is quite a nasty piece of work and made Doakes into a non-talking, prosthetic hands and feet travesty. But there are certain subplots of both sophomore texts that are similar like Deb falling for the FBI agent and Doakes tailing Dexter, so I can live with that.
    All in all, solid entertainment and it's definately worth the show being renewed for two extra seasons in it's third season.
  • I ended up watching all of the second season in three days! The show was great and so I had to watch the third season which I did and loved it too… I'm waiting for the forth season (2009)!!!

Alright, The show is great, I love it! So, I remember the show coming out on ShowTime but I wasn't feeling it because I was bummed that my two other shows Dead Like Me and Huff were both cancelled and since ShowTime time has some good shows and likes to cancel them I didn't want to invest my time to a new show so two years later I hear something about CBS picking up Dexter, and I was thinking that's cool… One weekend I had nothing to do and since I have ShowTime On Demand, I might as well watch a show and Dexter looked good and the third season starts in three weeks (Oct 2008), so I gave the show a chance! The first season wasn't available so I ended up watching all of the second season in three days! The show was great and so I had to watch the third season which I did and loved it too… I'm waiting for the forth season (2009)!!!
    I still haven't seen the first season yet...
  • very intriguing...

Dexter is a..charmingly disturbed guy that inspires us all!!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I love this tv series, it has everything that a tv series needs to succeed.. :) clever lines, a plot that makes you be stuck in front of the screen and much much blood!! luv it! :D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I declare myself a huge fan, and i hope that it will continue this way!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Finally he's back where he belongs, this episode turns out to bring the only Dexter back.

There's no such thing as the serial killer in harmony with real life justice. There is no such thing as friendship between our subconscious wish for vigilantism and forgiveness. Dexter is back where he belongs, in that lonely intermediate world of intuitive action.
    There could be no other way than eliminating Miguel, the symbol of the attempt to harmonize both ways. The one is that functioning world with Ritas, kids and Jobs, the other is that mind, always trying to bring our own regime and equitableness over others and that very society. So what does it mean? Every attempt of that personified inconclusiveness Miguel to cross the line has to fail.
    And isn't it so? The father is always right, even being an adulterer or whatever bad sinner in the eyes of the world, i.e. Deb, the child can't help but give in, look for his love and acceptance. Otherwise that very child, means Dexter, wouldn't exist.
    So my killer is back on that lost track, no friend to find, ever.
  • On pins and needles till the Season Finale next week, plus who else thinks Jimmy Smits deserves an Emmy for his work on this show?

I can't wait till the season finale, but then again, that means months and months of waiting for new Dexter eps! This season has been the best by far, and a big part of its success has been the phenomenal performance by Jimmy Smits as Miguel Prado.

I'd like to voice my support for an Emmy nomination for Smits; if anyone has an idea how to do so (via the network or Emmy committee) I'd appreciate the info.

Besides Jimmy Smits' smoldering performance, Dexter is as affably creepy as ever and Deb has been breaking my heart.

I just hope that Dexter and Rita's wedding goes as planned but however it all works out, we can count on the writers of Dexter to NOT leave us hanging, thank goodness. There are more than enough season-ending cliffhangers on t.v., thank you very much.
  • Finally the high stakes have returned!

[Spoilers!] An indication of great television writing is a show that has you playing out in your mind how the script for the next episode will read. Imagining all the myriad possible reactions that Dexter might have upon waking up in the Skinner's chair has been one of my favourite pasttimes this week. Tomorrow is gonna be good!

After a slow start to Season 3, the high-stakes plot that Dexter was so known for in the first two seasons has returned. It may have been the partly the slow setup of several new characters to blame for that (does anyone else think Yuki is completely unneccessary?), but we certainly can't complain about that anymore because the last 10 minutes of this episode were some of the most intense minutes that Dexter has offered yet.
  • watching the bait..

its so easy to watch a movie and get disillusioned, drop the suspension of disbelief, as it were.. and boringly watch the little fish get eaten by the big fish. I am not sure how I feel about him taking someone under his wing and the B plots are always more interesting with his sister in them. I love how every character is shattering into complicated pieces with each ep and even though I know that someone is going to get killed.. its always a treat to see how it is done. This episode of Dexter totally led me to its final conclusion waaay before the hour was up but the shots, the way the writing unfolded the suspense and execution [punny?] were very very interesting to watch.
  • An A-Class show, that has you on the side of the killer.

I first decided to watch Dexter because I wanted to know how a show could make a serial killer seem like the good guy. I hadn't read the books so it was completely new to me.

I found that this show is really interesting and seems to get better and better every season. And we as viewers actually sympathise with Dexter. Personally I like seeing the human side of Dexter, but the killer in him is very entertaining.

The characters in this show are all great, with a few that can be annoying but they all work perfectly. I love how the the storylines get better and better. Keep Dexter coming...
  • A run down of each season.

This show is so amazing.
    This is basically a run down of each season and how I rate each one.
    The first season focused on a killer named "The Ice-Truck Killer" because he drove an ice-truck and froze his victims after killing them to stop blood flow and spillage. He goes through Dexter's apartment and gets information on him and starts leaving messages to Dexter about his past. In the end you find out who the Ice-Truck Killer is and it's shocking. There is a great season finale. This season gets a 10/10. Truly unbeatable.
    In the second season, Dexter must hide that he is a killer after his bags of bodies under the sea are discovered. He is labelled the Bay Harbor Butcher and he must make sure that he is not found guilty for these killings. His girlfriend, Rita thinks he is on drugs and must go to rehab where he meets a woman named Lila who turns out to be very dangerous. Doakes discovers that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher so Dexter locks him away. It all results in a shocking final two episodes. This season gets a 9/10.
    The third season focuses on a killer labelled "The Skinner" because he takes large chunks of skin off his victim and then kills them. Deb is hell bent on finding this killer while Dexter finds out that Rita is pregnant and they soon become engaged. Dexter also meets his first real friend who goes by the name of Miguel. Miguel finds out Dexter's secret and it turns out that Miguel is like Dexter and needs to kill. Towards the end of the season the two have a falling out and they are in a game of chess with each other. At the time of writing this there is still two episodes left and it is shaping up to be one hell of a finish to the season. This season gets an 8.5/10 so far but could improve after the final two episodes.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11