Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews page 8 of 18

• Sympathy for a killer? How can that be?

If you asked me to describe Dexter in one word- serveral come immediately come to mind, clever, twisted, compelling, dark, funny, and I could come up with a few more. But, not just one.

Dexter is an adaptation of the novel, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, by author, Jeff Lindsay. The Showtime hit follows the life of a forensic pathologist who moonlights as a serial killer. The catch- Dexter follows The Code, a set of rules written for Dexter's protection by his stepfather. At the top of this code, is the golden rule: Dexter must only kill the really bad people.

Showtime is unknown for its controvesial programming. However, Dexter is something completely different. It is a clever character study that asks the viewer to care about a cold and calculating killer. It is nearly impossible not to care about him. Michael C. Hall delivers a dead on performance as the killer in question. Hall is able to show us that Dexter is the type of guy who would help your grandmother cross the street. He is gentle, kind, and good with children. What is not to like?

This is not a show for the weak of heart. Make no mistake, it is distrubing as much as it is compelling. There are many gruesome moments. The thing is, there is a whole lot more. Dexter forces its viewers to sit on their couches and question the moral codes that they have been taught. Dexter bears his soul for all to see. The question is, what is it that you see?
  • this is a great show.

my brother first got into the first season and i just couldnt get into it as i had to watch little clips every now and then because i didnt have the time to watch it properly. but then i finally got the time and was hooked from the start. after the first season i didnt think it could get any better but then when i watched the second season i was amazed that they had come up with another plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat. this season has been OK but i do not think it is up to the standard of the first two seasons. however it is interesting now that Migel Prado is dexters true friend and i want to see this develop.
  • This show has disappointed me i was a fan but this season has me looking for something else to watch

I ordered showtime after watching the first two season on dvd. I was a huge fan from the first few episodes. I was expecting big things from the new cast and the ending of last season. But I have become fairly disappointed. I have ordered the books also hoping that maybe next season the go back and look at the book and try to pick up the action again there really hasn't been much suspense this season. I really hope they pick it up because I would hate to see such a great idea go to waste like this season seems to be making it
  • The fantastically dark tale of a man and his strange urge to kill those who do not deserve to live. However, working as a forensic detective makes it hard to keep his head down and not seem suspicious. But no matter how hard he tries, he needs more blood.

I have to say: Dexter is magnificent! The story of a serial killer killing murderers I thought is just great because this is a serial killer you can almost relate with. He is different to everybody else; almost an outkast. He is always on his guard to make sure that people never discover 'his monster.'
    But anyway, the review: Dexter's storyline consists of a different story every season. The first season was based around him trying to catch the 'Ice Truck Killer' and the second was based around him trying to escape from the fact that he is the 'Bay Harbour Butcher' and the FBI are now looking for him.
    The characters are all great but the one that really shines is Dexter himself. He is just such a slick and cool character and with a name like Dexter, just makes hime sound even more sinister.
    The opening sequence is fantastic as it points towards murder in many ways, you really need to see it to know what I mean.
    Overall, I would give Dexter a 10/10! Highly recommended!
  • If you haven't seen The Latest Episode And don't want to ruin it SPOILER ALERT!!!

Well I thought Season 1 was awesome, season 2 awesome! And season 3 had abit of a slow start which was kind-of annoying and I would give it 9.5 but Some episodes this season have been slightly dry and nothing really going on. I am enjoying the whole plot about the ''Skinner'' case and I really have no Idea who it is. My only guess is Quin, but who knows. There's only going to be 5 more episodes (I think) and That fat women who wants Dexter to find the perfect pie?! I can't believe she new!!! That means there's been 2 people who know his secret. But I am interested to see what happens with the whole palm trees thing. And the show is still Superb Which I'm hoping their will be a 4th season because the 4th book is coming out next year!!! And Dexter haters can suck a Pickle :P
  • Can we all just get along

This season is a big let down !!!
    Why is every one getting a friend this season , dexter gets a friend , his girlfriend rita has a new friend. the LT Maria LaGuerta makes a new friend.
    Angel Batista has a new friend. Deb is getting a new friend. Like are these the same writers that gave us season 1 and 2 . ?
    Because based on season 3 , this show is a dud.
    No suspence , no big plots. Just a bunch of people making friends, , this season is over half way thru , and its been a snore fest
  • Dexter Morgan; Cop, father, serial Killer.

At first you might say to yourself how can you write a show like this and make it believable. That is what I thought and well I must say that they have delivered. You would not believe the twists and turns that accompany this show in every episode. I have not seen one episode that has disappointed me. The cast is great and the story is too. If you want a great adult cop show that is not you boring crime scene show then this is your new wake up to life. If you have settled for crime scene investigating on other networks then you have truly lost out on the greatest show to ever dawn on our tv sets. Check this out Dexter does not disappoint.
  • Dark, intelligent, and addictive - one of the few shows worth watching these days

Dexter is a show I purchased on DVD based on only seeing the first episode. It's a riveting story with intelligent and realistic characters, all superbly acted. Dexter himself is such a dark portrait, the kind of person you initially have trouble understanding why nobody had ever clued in to him. And yet as the series progresses his life unfolds through flashback, his memories showing the strides he has made both in overcoming his sociopath tendencies as well as the methods in which he learns to control them. He becomes less of a cold heartless murderer and more a conflicted man who understands the drive behind his unnatural urges. If shows like CSI and Criminal Minds are your flavor, then Dexter is the perfect compliment. It goes inside the mind of the murderer, beyond the crime scene, beyond the crime. It's a compelling, intelligent and very addictive show. This is a must-watch and a must-have for any fan of the crime genre.
  • since the beginning of season 3 dexter is asking questions far beyond the ideological belief. that is not only refreshing, it is important in a time where wars are reproduced, redirected and authorised in the ...

since the beginning of season 3 dexter is asking questions far beyond the ideological belief. that is not only refreshing, it is important in a time where wars are reproduced, redirected and authorised in the patriotic tradition of former generations. the show is far more than dexter trying to hide who he really is. and in the end, we could really use someone like him, questioning the methods of former generations and shaking things up. but than again there is his law and order politics: keep the streets clean, you might say. so what is it? i really don't know. just that it is exciting as hell...
  • Sympathy for the devil...

This show is absolutely fabulous!

Dexter is a lab tech working for Miami PD, spezialized in blood spatter analysis. But that is only his day job... By night he tries to satisfy his urges to kill people. As the show develops, we learn why he has to kill and how he manages to stay under the police's radar.

Never before was it so easy to feel sympathy for a killer, becaus he is not a bad guy really... This show reveals that there is a very large grey zone in people regarding "good" and "bad". Watch just 2 or 3 episodes and you'll know what I mean.
  • Pivotal

The pace of the first 4 episodes was a bit slow.
    That changed in episode 5, as Miguel's discovery of Dexter's dark secret opens the doors to some fast paced action going forward.

It should be truly interesting to watch Miguel aid Dexter and eventually participate in Dexter's rituals, under the name of justice.

Of course, good things never last, and the series finale will probably end up badly for one of them (hint: It won't be Dexter).

Character development was much too slow in the few episodes.

Refreshinghly, the most irrititating of all characters, the Asian Internal Affairs Agent, who is trying to get her to rat on Quinn, was not in the show at all. (She is more irritating than the ever whining Lana Lang in Smallville).

Quinn has been a fairly unimpressive character so far, but hopefully that will change at some point and he will step up.
    He seems to be involved in the Skinner case, probably as the person who is feeding information to the Skinner himself.

Miguel's brother has not been much more interesting than Quinn. Expect him to get kicked off the force in a later episode and become a non factor.

The loss of Lundy, Doakes and Lila has not been made up with the new cast of characters, although Jimmy Smits has done the best. Sadly, his days are probably numbered.

The skinner bears a resemblance to the Dr. Danko character of the 2nd book, who removed all appendages/extremeties of his victims, including their tongue, leaving them unable to do anything.
    So far, the screen version is a pale imitation of the character in the book.

I was starting to lose a bit of hope after the first few episodes, especially compared to the last 2 seasons.
    Now, though, it looks like the stage is set for a wild ride the rest of the season.

Hang on!
  • I love this show, even with the blood splatter!

I wasn't sure about this show.. hearing it was a serial killer that hunts other serial killers. How weird could it be. But it was just the oposite. I have grown to love this series from the hero who isn't sure who he is or what he is suppose to do other then offing baddies. To his foul mothed sister that sometimes I'm not sure if I would shy away from or ask her to marry me. I will say that I am loving Rita's development and that she continues to be a good balance for Dexter and his dark side. We are now finally underway in the third season and this show still keeps me coming back every Sunday! I watch it before anything else that I have on my DVR!!!!!
  • Dexter is a blood specialist working for Miami Homicide by day and a vigilante serial killer by night bringing judgement to those like him who take innocent lives. Living by a strict code, this monster attempts to hide in sheeps clothing.

When this first came out it passed under my radar as ... well I don't really now why so let's say it was poorly marketed. When I finally came to watch it I had 2 seasons to take in back to back courtesy of a frend who "showed me the light" and I loved every moment.
    Apart from being an interesting and unconventional program with plenty of dark humour and the spunky yet foul mouthed Deb, nearly every episode is 100% dedicated to the story of Dexter with life or death hanging in the balance for him at the end of each ep (all killer, no filler if you'll pardon the pun).
    What well and truly makes this show for me is Dexter's confused inner monologue, struggling to comprehend the humanity around and within him, the relationships he has somehow forged with those around him, his decisions and their consequences. Dexters acting makes it.
  • Dexter tries to get Miguel to keep his mouth shut about Freebo. Meanwhile Dexter tries to get Rita to say yes to his many failed proposals. An episode that has its lighter moments and it makes it all the more enjoyable.

Dexter has always been a favourite of mine and this episode is a perfect examp why. This ep is able to balance the drama Dexter goes through every week while all the time keeping it lighter than usual. This ep almost seems like a return to season 1 and pulling out of the darkness of Season 2.

This week Dexter tries to keep Miguel quiet about the killing of Freebo as Miguel feels that he can confide in his brother, Ramon. Dexter knows that anymore people knowing is just too risky so begins to spend time trying to get Ramon to explode in front of Miguel.

At the same time Dexter soon realises that it would fit that he should propose to Rita. With the baby on the way it just feels like a nice fit for Dexter but Rita is not so keen on the idea. She wants to marry Dexter out of love not obligation.

The third story in the ep is Debra's constant pestering by Internal Affairs to rat on her new partner. As Deb begins to learn about him the more she feels unsettled by him.

The key to this ep being so good is how most of these issues are handled very light heartedly by the writers and the cast. Dexter sets up Ramon by sending in anonymous tips to the police with an excentuated southern accent. All the while he is also learning from a great con artist to learn to fake loving proposal for Rita. This show balances humour with drama seemlessly and I can only hope that this trend continues
  • This season feels flat. No where near as good as the first two. Writers too busy doing re-writes for prime time possibly?

I have been a die hard fan of Dexter since day one. I must say in all honesty that so far, this season has been disappointing. Are the writers too busy this season doing re-writes for prime time television? I really don't think shows which are created for premium paying customers should even be eligible. The only reason I didn't cancel Showtime was specifically because of Dexter. I think the writers really need to re-focus on what is important. Showtime's die hard fans of Dexter. The first three episodes have lacked the excitement, intensity, anticipation, surprises and even mystery. The first two seasons left one anxious for the next week's episode. Really wish "Angel Batista" would work on word pronunciation. It has been very noticeable this season. Reminds me of "daffy duck" for example; fweebo. Nothing Latin there. Don't care for Debra's new hair style; the long straight look suited her character. Looks as if the writers are even cleaning her up a bit, probably to make it easier for re-writes. Would like the old Debra back. I have a problem with Jimmy Smits on Dexter. He is okay and done well in many shows in the past but I hope he isn't going to be permanent. All in all the show feels flat. Get back to what works.
  • Transitional.

Some spoilers ahead!

In my opinion this episode was a lot less exciting and good than the one last week. I don't think anybody thought Dexter wasn't going to be the father of the baby. He would never walk away. So I'm glad the writers didn't take too long to close that. Again, one horrible voice-over line made me shiver.
    "It can't be Freebo. I killed him. But only Miguel and I know that. And we're not at liberty to tell..."
    Why do they keep doing that? We know Dexter killed Freebo. We know they can't tell anybody. I wish they'd stop that 'feeding the audience information' trick, especially in those cheesy VOs. But there were also some good things, otherwise I wouldn't give the episode an 8. The pedophile story was good and Dexter's general attitude towards children added something to his character. The expansion of his code is something he worked on for a while. Now he can 'punish' those who are guilty of a crime (even if they haven't killed anybody) in his own special way. After all, there are more horrible things that can be done to a person than killing him or her.
  • The best show on cable!!

Dexter is in my opinion the greatest show on tv right now next to Heroes. The first season was absolutly wonderful and edge of your seat show leaving you wanting more at the end of every episode. I knew that there were blood spatted experts that work for forensics but Dexter moves it to a level that the viewer can understand from the good side and the bad. Hes not a bad guy at all down to earth but his deamon inside of him makes me want more and more. This is one of those shows that just gets better and better with each season. With season 3 in the works right now Im hoping that this is only the begining for this searies and hopefuly its one of those 10 or 12 season shows. It definately has the potential for it. I picked up the book and the show does it justice unlike other shows based on books this one hits it on the nose.
  • Finally a show that makes the 'bad guy' a 'good guy', the 'bad guys' as 'badder guys', and the 'good guys' as totally oblivious! In short, absolutely brilliant.

Ad campaigns for this show had the tag line of "Am I a good person doing bad things, or a bad person doing good things?" - but I'm still trying to understand how the writers are able to make a serial killer so loveable!!

If you're reading this review to decide upon watching this show or not, firstly I'm honoured, and secondly I highly recomend it. It has the perfect balance of drama and comedy, without the unnecessary gore and violence. Granted, there is violence, but nothing to keep you up at night - unlike 'SAW 2'...

Dexter is nothing short of brilliance, and a fine example of a show that can last forever!
  • Much better!

Much better.
    This episode was much better than the season opening. It's back to business again for Dexter. Tracking down and killing Freebo. The moment he stabbed him, we saw the absolute evil again that's still inside Dexter. Very well played.
    The story with Rita was maybe a bit predictable, but still very interesting. Dexter realizes he might even be a good father, but what about the monster? Will his kid become a monster too?
    During the last scene with Prado I was holding my breath in anticipation. How is he going to get out of this one? But he managed it and even gets Prado on his side. Allthough they might best be described as frenemies. And the blood on his shirt! Now I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.
  • Forensics, mystery, suspense, funny, sex...what more can you ask for?

Dexter Morgan is a sexy serial killer, but only kills the really bad guys. I love hearing his thoughts, he cracks me up! It took me a while to like his sister Deb, but she grew on me. I've read the books, so the show is quite different from them and I'm glad. Even though I enjoyed the books, the show has it's surprising twists. (Like how Doakes was killed in Season 2). I'm glad they don't have Rita's kids as miniature killers-to-be like they are in the book, that would be bizarre. This is a great show and I consider it one of my faves!
  • U have heard its music, u have seen commercials on it, u are reading this review but u havent still watched it?? What are u waiting? Dexter - The Dark Dreaming Serial-Killer is a show that has all in it.

Ok so to start off id like to point out that dexter one of my favourite shows. If u like it and ur like me u could probably go and check: PrisonBreak & SuperNatural.

Plot - 10/10 - Hey guys if uve seen any other story better then the 2 first seasons of Dexter than u probably should pm me. The story is awesome, full of turns and twists that u can hardly predict. It is intense and has a lot of nicely-done drama.

Acting - 9/10 - I thought id put here a 9 jst because there are so many actors nowadays and id give a 10 only to a few few of them (namely in tv shows only to Jensen Ackles probably). But even if not "movie famous" actors in Dexter are the some of the best u can expect from Tv shows.

Character - 10/10 - Serial-killer, ex-hooker hot babe sis... do u want more??? Dexter character are absolutely so real they will make u understand every going on of the show. They have minor flows but in general are absolutely 10.

Music - 10/10 - Thought Id absolutely put this in here. Te te re te re te re te te re te te te te te. Dexter's music is absolutely awesome! It will really make u feel the scenes. It will be so real!

So what are u waiting. Go and watch Dexter!
  • Dexter Morgan is one of the most complex characters on TV, and that helps to make this one of the most addicting shows on TV.

As the title suggests, this show centers around the character Dexter Morgan. And it is his character that makes the show such an addicting show to watch. Dexter is a killer, who kills people who have committed terrible crimes. The time that he isn't killing people, he is trying to build a "normal" life for himself. He has a job, ironically working with the police as a blood splatter analysis. He spends time with his sister Debra, his friends from work, and his girlfriend Rita and her kids. In addition to all of this, the series deal with Dexter's struggle to deal with his lack of emotions, along with trying to relate to others' emotions.

And on top of all that, each season has its own over-arcing story, dealing with a major killer, usually with some kind of connection to Dexter. Each season has several episodes which build up the story, which are great in themselves, but they are ultimately a build up to the final 4 episodes (give or take), which are absolutely amazing.

The show itself is almost as complex as Dexter, due to its mixture of dark comedy, drama, and some extremely tense moments fused together. I have seen many very addicting shows, but this is one of the most addicting that I've seen.
  • I love Dexter!

I really cannot say enough great things about this show. I have only seen the first 2 seasons, but let me tell you not a single episode wasn't fantastic. I think the writing is brilliant, its got a wit about it and they do a fantastic job with their sort of quirky anti-hero protagonist, Dexter. This show will have you rooting for a serial killer, now that's excellent writing. Another great thing is that they never lose sight of the larger picture. Every episode will somewhat tie back to the larger story arc which again, fabulous writing. Not only does this show have a great writing team, but the actors are fantastic, and the style in which it's shot is amazing. Do check out this series at once. I was hooked only 10 minutes into episode 1...
  • He's anything but normal.He's fast becoming the family man.On the outside he appears just a nice nerdy type guy.On the inside he has dark deep secrets. His own guilty pleasure is that he loves to kill bad guys& a few good one's along the way on accident

I have been a fan since day 1. I'm glad they moved the "old shows" to primetime TV BUT if that's all that you've seen of Dexter, I suggest you get Showtime because you're missing out. The show is so cleverly done that it makes us cheer for the "bad guy" when he gets away w/ murder! I'm not too fond of "sister Morgan". I think the character is too overdone. She tries too hard to look tough & it clearly shows in the acting skills. Overall, I Love This Show! I hope it lasts longer than the "average cable series" which are usually around 5 yrs.
  • Dexter, being a simple guy who has a family, friends, a girlfriend, a steady job, and a hobby. All this seems like a normal guy, but he is far from normal. He has lost all abilities to be normal and has began to focus on his hobby, Killing...

This show is amazing. Its the best show on television as of now. Who would have thought a killer as a protagonist would make a master piece. The serial killer, Dexter, is simple in his strategy just kill other killers. But its all beginning to change as the story is evolving and taking on more. The show evolves as the story goes on. Unlike other shows when either they stick with the past accomplishments or just butchers, no pun intended, the original aspect of the show that made it great. I love the storylines, the characters, the actors, everything about this show is considered great to me.
  • It was fine.

This episode was a decent bridge. It was fine. Scenes were a little choppy. No inherent dramatic structure to them. The introduction of Lila was great. The end of the Rudy story line, not so good. A little melodramatic for my taste. After all the powerful end of season one, to see Rudy come back and have a heart to heart with Dexter in a church felt icky. And then Rudy leaping up out of the water out of the end? I enjoy Dexter because it avoids the horror cliches. That one was a bit heavy handed. But I'm looking forward to what comes next in the season. Especially with Lila.
  • Dexter Morgan is a seemingly regular guy. He has a girlfriend, a job at Miami Metro as a blood splatter analyst, But just one thing Dexter has an urge, a want, a need to kill ever since he can remember. So he takes it out on Miami's Criminals.

Finally I am getting around to these reviews that I haven't done in forever.... Anyways Dexter is pretty dark especially if you can't stomach blood. But the character of Dexter is fascinating to watch evolve and just be. All the characters are great in this show even some comic relief from the likes of Masuka (that guy cracks me up!) Angel the damaged good hearted cop, Deb Dexter's foul mouthed fellow cop, Rita Dexter's girlfriend coming out of an abusive marriage with her two children Astor and Cody who adore Dexter, and of course various criminals. Michael C. Hall's performance is brilliant! I can't really find the word's to describe dexter except that it's bloody brilliant!
  • Dexter is an absolutely brilliant show, and is the first show which I have ever truly become addicted to. It is not necessarily head of its time, but a show which i believe IS under appreciated. In quick "summation" then, DEXTER ROCKS!! :P

Dexter is a show based on the series of novels by Jeff Lindsey, one of which is known as Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It is a show which centres around a man named Dexter Morgan, a man who works for the Miami forensics department as a blood spatter analyst, but who also goes around 'at night' serving his own brand of justice to criminals who have escaped due punishment, as he is a serial killer.
    The slogan when advertising the show is whether Dexter is a good guy doing bad things or a bad guy doing good things, and is in my opinion one the greatest shows ever made!!
  • Takes life. Seriously.

Dexter is a sociopath working with the police as forensic expert, pretending to be normal during the day and acting as vigilantes during the night (Yes, exactly like a superhero). Adopted at the age of 3 years old by a police officer Henry Morgan. His foster father instilled in Dexter a moral code and taught him to channel his instinct(this is the wicked part of the show in my opinion, the "daddy educational program"). The plot its original and the acting its great, Michael C. Hall does an amazing acting job, playing both the part of serial killer Dexter and acting normal Dexter. About the rest I found the first season too predictable, sincerely I was expecting something more but in the end its a good show.
    All in all I recommend this show, the fan of American Psycho will love it.
  • An exciting new direction.

This was a very good episode. Just as in the season two premiere, I was a little timid going into this episode. Season one was classic, but season two went way beyond any expectations I had. Dexter's sophomore season may be the best quality television ever. I was not disappointed with this episode at all. It's nearly flawless in every way. There are some great character moments, a setup to a great plot, and a shocking revelation that will leave you quite breathless. Go find the episode. You don't need to wait until the official premiere on Showtime. You won't regret it.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12