Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews (516)

• Psychopathy the Next Step in Human Evolution

I have to say i was very disappointed that Dexter ended, and that it did so on a decidedly sour note.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!!! That Deborah Morgan was killed off in the final episode was a terrible misstep on the part of the writers and producers because, contrary to what many have said about a "waning" series, the show was actually just getting started.

I watched the entire series marathon style, over the course of a month without commercial interruption. In my mind, it grew in depth, scope and possibilities as one serial killer after the next was introduced [to one another] - with varying results, and to the astonishment of Deborah Morgan, which added tremendous dimension to the series.

There were times i found myself laughing out loud when she would walk into a room and see a group of psychopaths just hanging out!

it was hysterical! That's when the show really got started. There i was for cold-blooded killers. The show was very successful at drawing you in to the depravity of the "lifestyle" by divining a code of justice that lent legitimacy against the ineptitude and/ corruption of the police and legal justice system. Dr. Vogel was also instrumental in her role as facilitator, referring to psychopaths as apex predators, critical to the perpetuity of the human species. Brilliant!

Throughout all of this, though, Debra Morgan took the lion's share of the body blows, episode after episode in what I have to say was one of the best supporting roles i have even seen in television. Without her, the show would certainly have to die as she was the glue that held all of it together -- foil to the depravity, occasional comic relief against the endless chaos and tension. I've read that she just got sick of the role, that it was played out, but i would counter that it was just getting started.

If i were to script a sequel, I would have Dexter experience a psychotic break after Deborah told him He would then inject himself, fall unconscious, and dream her demise. We would then start season 9 with Deborah back in the saddle with Miami homicide, and Dexter living in Argentina until, for whatever reason, something compels him to return to Miami with his family, and a new world order of psychopaths [under the code] is created. Of course, I would have to figure out a way to get Hannah back into the country, but give me five minutes.

• Disturbingly Awesome!

Dexter, a monster born in blood with little to no remorse for human life because he lacks the complexities of human emotion. What makes Dexter fascinating, creepy, and charming is that he is a serial killer with a conscious, a killer's code that allows him to punish evil do-ers to protect the innocent. We question our own morality (sanity?) by rooting for this deeply disturbed person. It is Michael C. Hall's ability to transform Dexter into a lovable and relate-able human being that keeps me watching.

• Dexter rocks!

I don't know if Hall is healthy enough, but they could bring back Dexter and Angel, throw in guest-villains as good as Smits and Lithgow, and I'd be riveted to the TV for another 8 seasons.
  • The Last Season drop the show from an 8 to a 6

Plenty of people will tell you that the show starting dropping after the 2nd or 3rd season. I will disagree and say that except for maybe a bad (but not awful) season the show remained in top form until the final season when it went off the rails so much that it nearly ruined the show for me. Despite what writers and show runners think being clever does not make for a good ending sometimes writing to a predictable end is a good way to end a series. This was a 8 bordering on a 9 until the final season which dropped it to a 6.
  • All in All Great

Just finished watching it all, and I can say I am very satisfied with the way it ended.
  • Great at times, but uneven on the whole.

Well, where should I start from? I just finished the 7th season of Dexter and I' m waiting for the 8th and probably final season. Looking at the whole series from the beginning, I can say that I very much enjoyed the ride, despite the many inconsistencies along the way. For me, seasons 1 and 4 were the best of the series until now. Season 1 introduced us to the unique character of Dexter and we learned a lot about his past, his brother being the major antagonist, and season 4 had maybe the best antagonist of the whole series (the Trinity killer) and surely the best finale. That finale really was a major turn point for the series because until then, Dexter didn't suffer any loss of any kind and the death of Rita was a big blow for him. Until then, he was able to bypass ridiculous situations (season 2 anyone?) with hardly any damage. The show really needed to up the stakes and show that Dexter isn't invincible. Season 2 had its moments but the end was unbelievably convenient. Season 3 was really exciting for me at first, but from one point on, it was a bit boring. The episode where we led to believe that Dexter was kidnapped by the Skinner and it turned out that it was just a prank for his bachelor party was a big turn-off and the finale was even worse. Season 5 was a level lower than the usual Dexter standards until that time but it was solid. What upset me in the end was the departure of Lumen, which felt forced to me. Season 6 is a series low for me, I really didn't like it, I think that Travis Marshall was a lame bad guy and the faith theme wasn't very appropriate for a series like Dexter. Also, I REALLY didn't like the twist of Debra being in love with Dexter (we have Game of Thrones for that shit). The ending of Season 6 of course opened a lot of doors for the series' storyline and i think it should have happened sooner. Season 7 was the best delivery of Dexter since Season 4, the involvement of Debra in Dexter' s crimes was really captivating to watch and the character of Yvonne Strahovsky was a major plus. Another problem that I had with Dexter since the beginning was the side characters. Well to say it frankly, some of them are utterly boring: prime example is Masuka who is just there for comic relief and he doesn't succeed even in that (the series in general isn't so good when it comes to jokes, most of them being bad and making me uncomfortable). Quinn is another problematic character, especially in season 6, where the writers turned him into a man-whore for no reason at all. LaGuerta was also very unlikeable from the beginning but I guess that was the intention. Now that I said all the bad stuff, let me put a good word about Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter that really carry the series and had amazing scenes together in the last season. Well, looking forward now to Season 8, hoping it will conclude the series in the best (and maybe bloodiest?) way possible!

EDIT:

So, Season 8 huh? Firstly, I should say that when it comes to last seasons and especially finales, I don't think that they carry the significance that we give them and they shouldn't ruin the whole show for us, especially if that show had delivered excellent seasons until that point. That being said, Season 8 probably ruined Dexter for me and when I 'll look back at that show in the future, the bad memories will outweigh the good ones. It's like the writers took every drawback of the show (listed above), magnified it by a thousand and came up with Season 8. Stupid (and i mean really STUPID) plot points and plot holes (from Debra trying to kill Dexter and then immediately saving him, Hannah drugging Dexter and Debra for no reason AT ALL and then avoiding Dexter (!), Hannah killing her husband and NO ONE on the boat noticing anything weird, Hannah visiting a hospital with Harrison and checking in with her name and Debra's address (!) (not to mention her numerous public appearances) to Dexter submitting euthanasia to her sister and then leaving with the body (I mean, WTF?)), idiotic dialog (Batista's line about Dexter being like a 'pig in the shit' on his first day on the job was SO moving) and of course a story without focus that tried to put everything in the mix (Dexter and Debra, Dexter and Vogel, Dexter having an apprentice (again), Dexter and Hannah and so on), made this season so unbearable that in the end I didn't even care about Debra's annoyingly stupid death (A blood clot? Really?). So, goodbye Dexter and good riddance as far as I am concerned...
  • Rapid Decline

Dexter started out as the most amazing television show on air. Seasons 1,3,4 were incredibly and 2 wasn't far behind. If the last thirty seconds of season 4 showed anything but the death of Rita it would have continued to be amazing. Rita was a fantastic character and she made Dexter human, while also exhibiting his lack of emotion. Hannah and Lumen simply couldn't compare to Julie Benz's portrayal of Rita. When Rita died Dexter became basically a full-time killer. Subplots suffered from it. John Lithgow made season 4 incredible, but his character's actions made the seasons to come almost unwatchable. If it had ended at season 4, it would've been a 10 star rating from me.
  • It Pains Me...

I hate to give this a simply "good" rating considering what it once was.

It's unfortunate, the first two seasons were extraordinary. The characters, the plots, the episodes themselves, all amazing! Up there with the best television shows I've ever seen. Although the third season was slightly weaker than the two before it, it was still very good, and the fourth season climbed up to the quality of the initial two, and the fifth season was also very good.

The shows main weaknesses were evident during the sixth season, which was loaded with boring characterization and major plot holes. Aside from a decent resurgence of quality in the seventh season, the eight was just awful. The finale was detrimental to the series, and will go down forever in history as one of the worst series finales of all time.

I have a hard time recommending this guess I say watch it, and suffer through the latter seasons. The early seasons are topnotch.
  • Remember when this was such a good show?

One of the best shows ever 3 of the first 4 seasons it was on. Leila was a little weak S2 but Doakes more than made up for it. Didn't really like the Jimmy Smits story line but thru the first 3 seasons I was often on the edge of my seat. S4 and John LITHGOW more than made up for it and that finish with Rita in the tub. WOW!

Sadly like a lot of successful shows the writers lost their mojo and have been mailing it in since. Some highlights from S5 to current but not even a fraction of the quality the earlier seasons brought. Maybe they'll surprise me and have a quality finish. 4 years ago I would have believed that, now not so optimistic.

S1- 10//S4- 10//S2 9.0//S7 8.0//S8 7.0//S6 7.0//S3 6.5//S5 2.0 (there must have been some highlight that terrible Julia stiles season, I just can't recall it, otherwise it'd get a zero. A self help guru as serial killer? LOL) *After watching the craptastical S8 and equally underwhelming series finale I had to drop the overall score I gave the show. Really this is 2 shows, the one with Clyde Phillips running it, S1-4 and the one with Scott Buck 6-8, (some other clown ran the mess of S5) S1-4 are 9+, 5-8 a hell of a lot lower than that!

• Dexter: The End Has Begun

I just found this podcast on itunes called Dexter: The End Has Begun. It's the most original and creative podcast I have listened to. It's right up there with the AfterBuzz TV stuff. If you want to re-live the last season of Dexter this would be a great way to do it. The Serial Killer Joke of the Day and Floridians Esta Locco segments are hilarious! Trust Me. Let's all hope for a great finale. Bye bye Dex!!!
  • Jeff Lindsay on What a Serial Killer Reads

Hi Dexter Fans, got Dexter author Lindsay to share what the blood-spatter analyst-by-day/serial-killing vigilante-by-night reads for inspiration. You can check out Dexter's reading list here:
  • Did I miss something?

WHY???WHY?? Did that Federal Marshall release that monster? Didn't he know he was wanted? Didn't he see any of the new broadcasts?????
  • my wishes for dexter season End

Hi ! dexter fans im mohammed a big Dex fan and I want to Share my wishes For the End Of dexter

8 years Of my life with have passed I was watching dexter and it The end I was waiting

When I say I've been disappointed I'm addressing a few .

and I've crossed the stage of feeling disappointed With Season 8

I do not know happened to the brilliant writers They lost classic touch

That we are used to And I think she fell in season 5 and with seasons 6 and 7, it has increased ill

I do not want to hit disappointed on you fans as did the makers of Dexter

but this is my wishes list

1 I wish rita is the woman in final And the reason behind dexter change It's well worth appearing in the end more then Hannah

2 I wish Trinity killer was the Serial killer for this 8 season

3 i wish Harrison become like dexter Like Father Like Son

4 i wish quinn and debra get married

5 i wish masuka and his daughter get married to hhh just kidding

6 i wisk dexter After that dropped this season To be renewal our add 2 More episode

7 i wish for now that dexter end in season 4 Because season 4 was epic

Thank you for your patience and your reading
  • not the best, but absolutely my most favourite!

so, this is the end! many moments will be missed, delightful or horrible, characters that i love or i love to hate, and of course the story. i've watched monkey in a box and so far still disappointed. this season i feel there's so much unnecessary and stupid plot, it's like watching second class movie. harrison fell so that hannah would go outside deb's house and be seen in public is STUPID. can't they make up another story?, i mean i hate blaming harrison. but, okay, i am not hoping for a happy ending, because there shouldn't be a really happy ending, but at least make it good and right whatever how it ends.
  • Writters not the cast.

My two favorite seasons were #5 and #7. Two least favorite seasons were season 6 and Season 8 is at the bottom of the barrel. Dexter is still one of my favorite shows but it would have been better just to end it last season and left it up to the viewer to decide what happened. I didn't want Dexter to die but it would be a fitting end now sense he has died a slow death this whole season. You can sum up this whole season in two episodes #1 and the yet to be seen #12 Everything in between is gobeldy poo. Also watching the first season compared to the last it seems like Hall has lost the drive to play Dexter... I think he will get it back but; it will be years down the road. Carpenter is an amazing actress and I find she has carried the show this season as well as last.

I don't know but I think Hall and Carpenter are afraid of being type cast, Why can't more actors be like Robert Downy Jr. "I am iron man". It doesn't mean you can't do other things or play other roles, but if you own something "own it". Even till the end. That said hall and Carpenter I love ya, will stick it out with ya even till the end...
  • Best TV show ever

Firstly - geoffmaze - John Malkovich wasn't in Dexter?!

I was hooked on Dexter from the very first episode. It is exciting but believable without being cheesy and you can really feel like you can relate to the characters. Who would have thought you could fall in love with a serial killer! Seasons 1-6 were brilliant, edge-of-your-seat viewing but season 7 was quite poor in comparison. Season 8 so far hasn't been great but hopefully it will be a good end to what was, on the whole, a 10/10 show.

One thing I have to say I really dislike about it is that Harry pops up all the time as Dexter's "conscience". I feel this does spoil it a bit.
  • Best tv show ever

I loved it since season 1 and I still do. Dexter is the only show which isnt stupid and priceless after a few seasons.. Characters are perfect, story makes sense and we just love it! Only Deb character in this season is a bit weird, but it is understandable why she acts like this. But I guess she lost a few fans... But we still love this show! Go DEXTER!!!
  • The Knife's gone dull

IN the beginning, I watched 4 episodes in a month and couldn't get enough! I was a proponent and would tell anyone who would listen to watch Dexter! It was a psychological thriller with just enough gore to make it scary! The imagery seemed dead on, I loved the "Dark Passenger" analogy, and Harry seemed like a reasonable addition to Dexter's life, someone he needed, his little angel on his shoulder so to speak. I have adored MCH since 6 ft under and was so excited to be engaged in another series that I thought would be the pinnacle of a fairly low-key career (but quality). I don't know what happened! Dex is gone. I don't see the same fire, the same blood thirst, the same sweet sensibility that we all grew to love. It has been like watching a very slow, very sad train wreck. I can't look away and miss the end. I've never missed an episode. But it is getting harder and harder to watch. Deb, used to get on my nerves, but now she is the only thing worth watching, Hannah is eye candy, and Dexter, well, I don't no him anymore. This show has gone from engaging, get under your skin thrilling, with intense story lines and suspense to a bunch of washed up crap, watered down drama and no real science any more. The whole forensics thing is a joke. I wonder if the cast recognizes their fall from grace, and what a disappointment the show has become for the true fans? And what is the deal with Harry? What happened to his insightful advice? The imagery has gone from edgy to something that appears to be a parody of what was once an incredible show! SAD. :(
  • They lost me.

O man, I've recently wathced the first episode agian with me new GF. That reminded me of the first seasons. They were so much better then what we see know. Where is the dexter that we once knew. Everything about this show is worse then when we started. Season 6 was the worst and 7 started to be a bit better but now, I'm happy that it's over after this one. They Definetly lost it.

FUCK YOU SHOWTIME!
  • A great show needs its end.

Here is a series that proves a man of violence is a man to feel complete sympayhy for. How so if our hero is a serial killer of serial killers? He kills only the bad and for reasons that surface all eight seasons; so well you're always reminded of Dexter's motives when he kills and question what reality he's meant for because it seems he can never find a fare one. Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall), the Miami Metro Blood Analysis/Bay Harbor Butcher has the quality most well likable TV heroes posses and at the same time has a quality that could never match. A serial killer who is the everyday working man, respected and understanding, and comes across a treacherous spirit. The performance of Michael C. Hall is forever masterful in the way he conducts this tormented reasoner. From the opening episode to now, we can finally come to terms of Dexter's fate, Hall's everlasting approach as we see deeper and uglier depths of his high class killer. Finally can we come to terms with Dexter's final sequence, which we've questioned since the series' pilot.

From the likes of Cranston's Walter and of course the start of it all, Gamdolfini's Sorprano, here is the magnificence of a dark hero with a nature to question. The things that made "Dexter" unique furthermore were its very disturbing killing scenes. I'm talking about the dramatics of Dexter wrapping his victims to a table in a room filled with plastic and forcing pictures of his victim's victims. One of the more humorous was that of a car salesman who killed a girlfriend as Dexter points out his many lies. One of the more memorable was that of Jimmy Smits.

And from a supporting cast that stayed loyal and hopeful each season including Jennifer Carpenter as the tough sister Debra Morgan, who can't go by a sentence without dropping the 'F' bomb. Jarrad Zayas grew to me in this series, always supplying the more understanding. James Remar, a great character actor was always so effective as Dexter's daddy, when we see him mostly as Dexter's conscience or his past. Julie Benz supplied the most affection for Dexter and Yvonne Strahvoski and Julia Stiles were just right as the compatible partners of Dexter's undecided love.

"Dexter" was a show that was somewhat hilarious in its dark undertone, a wonderful character show and a show for great performances. No matter how beyond belief some incidents were; there were many completed moments and memorable exchanges to always acknoweldge.

But as the rule goes, fantastic shows always lose its touch midway through the end. Think about recently, "True Blood". Seasons 6, 7 and yes a bit of 8 are missing the juice of what accelerated the first five seasons. The latest three seasons are murky and miss out the clarity. They lack the perfection of the incredible fourth season with the exhilirating performance of John Lithgow as the show's best villain.

Despite the flaws of the recent "Dexter", there comes a sensational climax to it and why we watched the show in the first place. One of Showtime's finest shows, evolving a character we've grown strong for and understood greater. I praise the great writing and directing of the first great seasons and admire the detail within the role of Dexter. I've become more involved with Dexter and cared for his fate, and of course the roles of Debra, LaGuerta and even the bit of Keith Carradine.

For Michael C. Hall, this was a role for a career, just now knowing what Dexter's kill count is... A countdown of YouTube will one day be listed.
  • Good time to end, looking dated and slipping in quality

Love this show and am half way through season 6 for the second time. Dexter's character now appears to be diluted and weighed down with human emotion and sentiment, the evolution is a credit to the character development I guess.

The show is now starting to look it's age. When it came out, it was one of the best things on TV. Now it looks clumsy and cheap next to more modern offerings such as Suits, Hannibal and Boardwalk Empire, to name a few. There are some glaring errors and the science seems watered down to some CSI: Miami cliche. Has it always been this low brow?

What made Dexter great was the strength of the characters, how the show's creators got you to empathise with what made Dex what he is, recognising some of the traits in ourselves. The 'End of Show Baddies' were fantastic and it felt like a real rollercoaster ride.

Season 7 was great, but largely down to Jennifer Carpenter's acting, she really is the highlight as Debs.

Season 8 just feels very formulaic, run of the mill, safe and with too much filler. Established characters seem like shells going through well worn motions. I feel that if the writers are going to get in to the mechanics and science of crime solving, then show it in some detail, rather than a dumbed down glimpse that looks like some awful kids show spoon feeding us how they get from a-b.

It seems they don't know whether to really get under the skin with Fogel and focus on Dexter, or keep the show to it's established format.

I'll loyally watch it to the end, but it's going to be a fizzle, not a bang. I'll be glad when it's done. It's never really reached the heights of Trinity. Though my least favourite season, season 6 looks better second time around.
  • Is Deb the real backbone of the show?

I know I might look a little slow to some people about this but I had to wait for this 8th and final season of Dexter to realize that all the different stories only including Batista, Quinn, Quinn and Batista, Jaimie and Quinn, Masuka and his "why-the-hell-now?" daughter, etc.... well they're not that interesting, right? I mean, do I see that now because they actually became uninteresting the last 2 seasons or was it always like that?

And now I have to admit: those arcs may never have been that good after all.

So why didn't I see it before? Of course our focus on Dexter/MCH is a pretty obvious reason why. But now I'm wondering: Debra?

Well, we got to admit that since she left the station (physically this season but mentally last season since she was trying to process what she just saw her brother do), do we really care about the others? For 2 seasons now all I like to watch about this show is Dexter, Deb, and Dexter/Deb. Even more right now (thanks to great performance!). So I guess we can ask ourselves that question.

Yes Dexter is a great character. But how long the show would have lived if it were only about him and nothing else around? (not the station, the co-workers, the "family" life, the kids and of course not his sister). Not too long, I'm afraid.

So here's Debra. Creating and maintaining connections with everything else in his world, and in this show.

And when she decides not to be this bond anymore, anything that doesn't involve Dex/Deb (and let's say Vogel a little bit) is kinda boring.

So without Debra (and without J. Carpenter performance to make her evolve like that), who knows, maybe the show would be already off the air.

Anyway, I like this show, I like the fact that it's its final season and I'll keep on watch it till the end (even if it means I have to watch all the other stuff that don't involve the Morgans ;) )
  • Love it

This is my favorite TV show
  • What a Shame Dexter Is Showing Its Last Season

The Show Could At Least Hit 100 Episodes??? This will be a "MASSIVE" Miss When its GONE
  • Dexter Needs to Pay

5.5
    In the final season, Dexter needs to somehow pay for his vigilante justice. Maybe go out in a blaze of glory. Yeah, he has a kid, but this doesn't mitigate the fact that he's killed over a hundred people in the series. Maybe Deb, his sister, needs to do the deed, with both of them going out in a final glorious scene, although now she's killed a heroic cop herself, someone who was onto Dexter. This can't end well, or justice will indeed be denied. I would pit Dexter against a monster even worse than himself, and the only way Dexter can take him/her down is to die himself.
  • It's just getting better and better

What I like about Dexter is that every season has new characters and a main killer,the subject of season 6 religion was very the best season many season 7 liked it,yes he killed less but it was more about his relationship with Debra and the human inside you don't like on cause she's gonna be in this show even is an important part in Dexter's 8 the first 2 episodes just great!If they gonna keep on making 10 more of these episodes than I think it'll be a great season finale,Series finale
  • Dexter's gone suckey

Loved Dexter, but the show has gone completely soap. Its been coming for a while now - more about relationships and personalities than Dexter. This happens to most good shows and then they go down the tubes. Could hardly stand to watch S8 E1. Too bad, Tidg
  • Why must all the good shows go?

I hate reality shows and love a well written drama. I will be sad to see Dexter go. All the great shows are ending and the new shows are crap. what to do, what to do?
  • Dexter ends, finally.

The next June 30, 2013 begins the final season of Dexter, the Robin Hood of serial killers. After 8 seasons, comes the highly anticipated end, but not the expectation that it can generate since Dexter lost the magic long ago, but to know how the history of the Morgan brothers work out.

After its peak during the fourth season and the brilliant performance by John Lithgow as Trinity, series began a path that was only going down. Soon we will see the outcome of a series that knew how to trap us but like many others abused of its success ad nauseum.

Where will the Dark Passenger end his trip?
  • Looking forward to Dexter's final season!

The teaser for Dexter's final requiem is so wonderfully creepy. Love the Jill Tracy song they used on it.