Dexter

Showtime (ended 2013)

AJMeredith

Dexter Fan Reviews (513)

• Is Deb the real backbone of the show?

I know I might look a little slow to some people about this but I had to wait for this 8th and final season of Dexter to realize that all the different stories only including Batista, Quinn, Quinn and Batista, Jaimie and Quinn, Masuka and his "why-the-hell-now?" daughter, etc.... well they're not that interesting, right? I mean, do I see that now because they actually became uninteresting the last 2 seasons or was it always like that?

And now I have to admit: those arcs may never have been that good after all.

So why didn't I see it before? Of course our focus on Dexter/MCH is a pretty obvious reason why. But now I'm wondering: Debra?

Well, we got to admit that since she left the station (physically this season but mentally last season since she was trying to process what she just saw her brother do), do we really care about the others? For 2 seasons now all I like to watch about this show is Dexter, Deb, and Dexter/Deb. Even more right now (thanks to great performance!). So I guess we can ask ourselves that question.

Yes Dexter is a great character. But how long the show would have lived if it were only about him and nothing else around? (not the station, the co-workers, the "family" life, the kids and of course not his sister). Not too long, I'm afraid.

So here's Debra. Creating and maintaining connections with everything else in his world, and in this show.

And when she decides not to be this bond anymore, anything that doesn't involve Dex/Deb (and let's say Vogel a little bit) is kinda boring.

So without Debra (and without J. Carpenter performance to make her evolve like that), who knows, maybe the show would be already off the air.

Anyway, I like this show, I like the fact that it's its final season and I'll keep on watch it till the end (even if it means I have to watch all the other stuff that don't involve the Morgans ;) )