Dexter

Sí Se Puede

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 02, 2008 on Showtime

• Dexter has a new accomplice.

This episode was about Miguel and Dexter's trust for each other when Dexter sets a target for them to kill but Dexter makes it as good as impossible and just thinks Miguel will back down I have never known whether Dexter can trust Miguel but after this episode he has proven to be trustworthy when he gets Dexter a kill he never thought he would have had but is yet not ready to share his kills with Miguel or anyone.
  • Friendships Written by Charles H. Eglee Directed by Ernest Dickerson

Dexter: "My dad used to say 'be careful what you think you know about someone; you're probably wrong.'"
    Miguel: "Smart man."
    Dexter: "Sometimes."

Yes, the same man whose lies that were revealed from the previous two seasons have soured Dexter's overall view of him. Harry might have been economical with the truth but there's no doubt that's he got Miguel's number. Too bad that Dexter isn't as easy to persuade nowadays.

Much as I like Jimmy Smits in this role and as much as I would like to go against all odds and think that Dexter may have finally found a friend, a friend that he can totally be honest with in Miguel, the truth is that Harry's right. You don't need powerful observational to come to that conclusion, just common sense.

Unfortunately Dexter seems to be leaving his common sense behind him whenever he's around Miguel. It's true that Miguel does have Dexter over a barrel (and that will be something he'll inevitably use to his advantage or as revenge) but Dexter seems to think that Miguel is on his side and thanks the results of this episode, he's gonna remain thinking that.

Harry told Dexter earlier on that Miguel wouldn't be able to accept the real him and when Miguel kept asking Dexter uncomfortable questions about Ethan, Dexter's response was to test Miguel. For that, Dexter showed some smarts but unsurprisingly enough, the test backfired on Dexter.

Dexter was hoping that Miguel wouldn't be able (or would out right refuse) to bring Clemson Gull within his proximity. In fact it very much looked Miguel would refuse, he was citing enough reasons why neither of them should risk but it was still a shock to me as well as Dexter when he agreed to get Clemson.

Dexter noted that Miguel seemed to have a similar enthusiasm for killing bad guys as he did but Harry also pointed out that Miguel would sell him out in a second if they ever got caught. During Dexter's fevered attempts of getting Clemson away from the courthouse, it very much looked like that Miguel was going to live up to Harry's words. I guess now would be a little too soon for him to do that.

That being said, even though Miguel earned Dexter's trust by helping him escape with Clemson, Dexter still wouldn't let Miguel actually see the process in which he kills his victims. It's obvious that Dexter would find some way of taking some control back from Miguel. Here's hoping that he's right about Miguel not holding a grudge for Dexter deceiving him though.

If Dexter and Miguel's friendship is dangerous, then it's nice that Rita and Sylvia are allowed to have a far normal friendship. Unlike their respective others, they're not setting out to dismember bad guys but instead decide that working together in real estate could be a good thing.

Rita desperately needs a career for herself and Sylvia clearly seems to think that Rita could have a knack for real estate. I'm actually gonna be sorry to see this friendship fizzle out because if Miguel is unlikely to survive past this season, then Sylvia won't either. Still at least her and Rita have the healthier friendship, compared to Dexter and Miguel of course.

Speaking of healthy, Angel seemed to be in a very good place this week as well. He finally managed to get a date with Barbara and all he had to do was not to fall for a honey trap. Come on, was there anyone who didn't immediately realise that hooker wasn't a set up? Either way it did its purpose and got Barbara to realise that Angel might be worth taking out for a meal.

Meals were also the rage for Camilla as well who wanted a key lime pie. It's great to see her back, even though it's under the sad circumstances of her having lung cancer. Dexter himself looked pretty crestfallen with her deteriorating state but there were some odd hints in the episode that Camilla wanted Dexter to kill her. Will he? Should he even?

Deb herself also had a hard time of it in this episode. Finding out that Wendell was the latest victim of the Skinner certainly put her on edge and with good reason. For a second, I thought she was going to think that the skinner was killing people because of her personally. She certainly wouldn't have been wrong to have jumped to that conclusion and she was especially worried for Anton.

However thinking Ramon might have been the Skinner was a stretch in a way. Ramon's volatile and dangerous and certainly not panicky when it comes to torturing people but even that's not enough to make him the skinner. It was smart though that Deb at least looked into the option discreetly. Also smart was that when she and Quinn discovered exactly what Ramon was really up to – torturing drug dealers to learn where Freebo was, she still played things by the book. Even Maria and Angel who weren't overtly enthusiastic about her hunches couldn't fault her this week.

Then there's Yuki. She further made herself look bad by threatening to tell the station about Deb working with IA. Deb retaliated by telling Quinn that Yuki was investigating him. Quinn wasn't all that surprised when he heard this but was he lying when he said that Yuki was doing it out of revenge? Yuki certainly seems vindictive enough and Quinn's mostly okay.

Also vindictive was Ellen Wolf in building a smear campaign against Miguel to Maria's disappointment. However it does look like Ellen might have good reason to go after Miguel though, especially given the strokes he pulled with the whole Chicky Hines thing.

Also in "Si Se Puede"

The title means 'yes, you can', 'yes, we can' or 'yes, it is possible'.

Harry (to Dexter): "I understood. I just couldn't accept it and Miguel won't either."

Harry dressing up as Dexter during one of the fantasy sequences was perhaps one of the strangest things the show has done in a while.

Dexter: "Ramon's got anger issues. I don't want you to get hurt."
    Deb: "Aw, you do care about me."

Anton: "You sounded kinda upset on the phone."
    Deb: "Yeah, kinda upset in person too."

Wendell's body was a lot gorier than any of the previous victims of the Skinner that we've seen so far.

Dexter (to Miguel): "We took out the garbage twice. We should both quit while we're ahead."

Maria: "Life catches up."
    Dexter: "So does death."

For a minute there, during that exchange, I thought Maria was going to say something about Doakes.

Camilla: "Dying I can do. Hell, I'm doing it. The pain is unbearable."
    Dexter: "How bad?"

Deb (to Yuki): "If you weren't such a **** I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't in IA where careers go to die."

Quinn's hair grew a lot in this episode that I found myself liking him more and more. He looks better with more hair.

Harry: "We only see two things in people. What we want to see, and what they want to show us. You don't know Miguel any more than he knows you."
    Dexter: "You're not seriously going to lecture me on relationships after the debris field you left behind?"

Deb (re Ramon): "How do you want to do this?"
    Maria: "Book him. I want to inform the family."

Chronology: A day since "Turning Biminese".

"Si Se Puede" has it's moments as an episode but it's not the series or this season at it's best, even if it is still of very high standard though. For that I can't complain too much, just can we have some more on the Skinner please?
  • Good

I think Dexter has been too quick to accept Miguel as an ally. I think he could leave a bit more for Miguels imagination. Fair enough, he didn't bring Miguel to "the kill" itself, but he might as well have. Good think that he let Miguel come up with the plan though, Dexter is still clever. I think that he should be more careful though, normally he plans his kills carefully and with the necessary time needed. He doesn't rush it like in this episode where unexpected difficulties appear, that rarely happens when Dexter does it his own way. It's quite revealing of him to tell Miguel about some bloke that has been locked up for years that he's zoomed in on. I don't know how I feel about this yet. Sure, in theory it would be good for Dexter to have a friend to confide in, but to actually get an accomplice that can blow his story completely is very daring...
  • And so season 3 starts to pick back up!

-- Contains Spoilers (of course :P ) --
    This episode reminded me why I watch this show. The first few episodes of season three were good then it slowed down a lot...till now.

This episode was fast paced, fun and well written.

The Good:
    - Dexter gains an ally to share most of his dark secret with.
    - Dexter knows Miguel is trustworthy.
    - Miguel seems a bit unstable with the whole thing, (Based on what his wife said) leaving room for some suspense in the future!
    - The skinner is very interesting and could be a familiar character, leaves a lot of great possibilities. (Debra's partner, Ramon, or even Miguel...or Miguel's wife! (Dun dun dun!) Or it could just be a random person)

The Bad:
    - Miguel's wife and Dexter's girlfriend annoyed me in this one for some reason.

All in all, this was an awesome episode...more than I can say for Heroes lately >.>
  • one of my all time favorites

the main focus in this episode was the dexter-miguel relathionship it was very interesting wathing them working as a team i didnt thought it would work but this show has proved me wrong. alot of excitement goin on on the breakout scene. the other big plot of the episode was the ongoing skinner investigation deb is realy strating to become an essencial character during the season also it was nice to see that the characters suspects are also ours ( ramon) altough proved inocent of being the skinner deb and quinn arrested him and i cant wait to see how that is going to play out.
    the camila story was nice its good to see the writers dont forget that easy of old characters one of the best and already on my top 5 list.
  • Dexter and Miguel work together on a case.

Week after week you hear me talk about how great Jimmy Smits is in the role and how Miguel and Dexter work so well together. Well, that is the case again for this episode as their chemistry just keeps getting better and better. They've really formulated that realistic feel where it seems like they're not even on a script anymore and are just talking.

We've seen Dexter kill people for three seasons but seeing them tied up and asking what the f is going on never grows old. I did not like scenes with Dexter at the hospital. That whole story just seemed kind of filler-ish too much. Luckily we had enough intensity in the torture scenes and with Dexter fearing he may have been to make up for it.

Not much else I can say other than another great episode of Dexter.
  • The Skinner still on the loose and Dexter targets another victim with the help of Miguel

Another one of Deb's witnesses from last week's episode shows up dead another victim of The Skinner. Deb becomes convinced that The Skinner is now targeting her witnesses using her to get to his victims. Deb starts suspecting Ramon is the Skinner; she follows him to a parking lot, where he beats up a man and stuffs him in his trunk. She tails him to a warehouse only to find out that he isn't the skinner.

Deb finally tells Quinn that I.A are snooping on him, Quinn tells her they have history. Anyways onto Dexter; he tests out Miguel by choosing the hammer guy, Gault. Dexter presents a crap plan for Miguel, who sees right through the utter crappiness and devises a much better, much sneakier way to grab Gault. The plan insists of Gault being transferred down another to Miami to testify in a case Miguel is trying. He grabs a few moments with him and gives him a key to escape. The courthouse discovers that Gault has gone and start a search for him, Miguel comes to the rescue he picks Dex up so he can dispose of Gault. Has Dexter just found a true friend?
  • True friends?

For me, this one was all about real identity. "Sì Se Puede" continues in the adventurous vein of surprising and thrilling us. I loved each and every one of the darkly delicious scenes with Dex and Dad, and through that, this show delves into the darker aspects of our psyche like no other.

Do I know you?: Do we truly know others? Was really brought home with Dads' line "only 2 things we see in people - what we want to see in them, and what they show us". Miguel, Quinn and even Angel all demonstrate this perfectly.

Trust: Dex is involving somebody he barely knows into his most intimate space. "Let's invite Rita and the kids!". Brothers?: Miguel pulls through Dex's test. However, the next step will be even bigger. And what of the other brothers? One is clearly out of control and the one was killed by Dex. How is the "true friend" going to react to that one? One doubts that it will be kind.

Evolution of the Code: Although dear dad is all cold logic, Dexter is adding his own spices to the family recipe. Will it work? Dunno, but if it doesn't, it will be a glorious and epic fail.

Dignity: Those hospital and pie scenes show us again how precious life is. And how deeply human Dexter's mask really can be.

Skinner: Quinn now seems too obvious - as is Anton. Would it not be marvelous if it were La Guerda? She is venting about Doakes, and is trying to compensate for a cold trail. Then Dex can take her down, and it is the end of the only weak link to this outstanding cast!

The kill: Dex still guards and feeds his needs. Liked the incorporation of the housing crisis!

True friends? Some things will always be in short supply for our beloved serial killer.
  • Tonight's The Night. But it feels different. I won't be alone. Uncharted territory for me: Not without risk and strangely exhilarating.

This episode keeps it's main focus on one question.

Can Dexter and Miguel work as a team?

And the answer lies within the episode title itself:

Si Sue Puede. Yes We Can. Emphasis on the "We" (Just like it was emphasized in tonight episode) Dexter's dad is warning him continuously and even bringing some humor to the table. The humor in this show continues to get darker and darker as Dexter seems to be getting lighter and lighter. Although episodes like last week remind us that him getting lighter comes with a cost. Yet we once again see Dexter is many different angles. We see him, once again, gloating to his dad about how well he is handling everything. We see him bonding with Rita, Debra, Miguel, and Camilla who is now dying. And we also see him working with Miguel, which is uncharted territory for Dexter.

In the end this is a classic episode. An excellent half way mark for this season as it has managed to define much of the Dexter and Miguel relationship.

Ramon Prado becoming more violent was interesting and very tricky. Quinn's side of the story against Yuki was a tad predictable but hopefully we will see more of it next week.

Angel is awesome again. Nice to see him in a relationship. Also Debra is in a great relationship too. I never really liked the romantic relationships in Dexter until this season. It's great stuff.

The Maria snitching on Miguel thing is rising up and I'm feeling the story will reach it's climax and possibly it's conclusion next week. When he was talking to Rita it was great too. Hopefully we will get some more marriage stuff next week. I mean unless it's going to take them another season I think they better hurry. Watching Dexter not even listen to the excuse of the victim once again was very emotional this time. I really felt everything. Dexter's trust in Miguel and his need for so many things. And how important the ritual REALLY is to Dexter. There was also a feeling of hopelessness that Dexter could never be the same. It's all up hill from here. The action will continue to rise.

The ride has just begun.