Dexter

Shrink Wrap

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 19, 2006 on Showtime

• The real Ice Truck Killer is revealed.

In this episode Dexter realizes that women have been killing themselves and they all go to see the same therapist When Dexter goes to see him the therapist actually helps him a lot so he keeps going to see him However Dexter still has to kill him for his crimes and the police would never get him It was also weird to see Dexter tell the therapist that he is a serial killer and its the first time he has ever told anyone A big part of this episode is the Ice Truck Killer getting revealed as Rudy This makes things interesting because he is dating Debra.
  • Matar al psicólogo

Dexter se encuentra sólo en este mundo del asesino serial y ya está empezando a faltarle esas charlas entre colegas llenas de recuerdos y vos me entendés no?
    Entonces su subconsciente lo lleva al psicólogo que dicho sea de paso es un loquito importante que hace que sus pacientes se sienten contentas a cortarse las venas.
    El pobre de Dexter comienza a abrirse ante él y le confiesa lo que és y esto lo llena de enrgía y de vida y va a hacer chanchadas a lo de su novia que ahora estás hasta las pelotas y bueno jod*** al menos pudiste sacar algo de adentro tuyo y viste quién es the ice truck killer jaja que bueno esto mejora sin dudas.
  • Sorry Doc, Ima Have to Let You Go

Probably the best episode in all of season 1. Dexter struggles in his relationship and is worried about pushing Rita away through his own disconnect with society. In an attempt to find a new worthy kill he ends up getting actual therapy from a shrink and must delay killing him because he ends up needing the advice for his personal life. Eventually Dexter loses it in a session when suppressed memories come surging back into his mind and he flees the building and rushes to Rita to "rectify" any doubts she may have had. When Dexter finally reveals what he is to his shrink it's hilarious and one of the best moments on the show. This Episode is filled with great lines, great acting and the true identity of the Ice Truck Killer... BINEY!!!
  • Revelation

So.. this was really the episode that in so many ways reveled so much - and I not only mean who is the ice-truck killer, but on Dexter. The idea of sending him to therapy was brilliant and it worked fantastic turning the episode - I mean, he saying it out loud - it was weird moment but for char development, important turn point as we saw.

I think mostly it all went to char development and for Dexter, even thought Deb and her new boyfriend stole some of the glory. But to act out that kind of complex char.. I really think that is amazing and needs lot of tallent.

So, now we know who he is.. and we only need to know how Dexter will get him.
  • Episode eight of the first season of Dexter. Dexter attends therapy as he suspects the shrink is up to no good, plus the Ice Truck Killers Identity is revealed... to the audience.

Dexter starts seeing a shrink after he suspects that the shrink is encouraging his patients to commit suicide. However, the meetings soon have an affect on Dexter as he starts to relive his own past and face his memories and fears.

With the Ice Truck Kille having confessed in the previous episode, LaGuerta isnt convinced so decides to investigate further and is convinced that the man "confessing" is a fake and wants attention.

Great episode of Dexter and probably my favourite out of season one. Liked the ending the way we found out the real Ice Truck Killer was, totally never guessed it would have been him and liked the fact the the character was introducd a few episodes earlier. Great cliffhanger to episode.
  • I knew that he was the killer.

This episode had lot of sex. I am glad that Dexter and his girl finally hooked up think that it will make them closer in the long run. I love Dexter's sister and her new boyfriend together, but I knew that he was the killer. I think it a nice twist to the show. I hope he's around for a while he's kinda cute if you don't think of him as a killer. I am so glad that I started watching this show it's so different than anything on TV. It's a nice change of pace for me. I can't wait to completely catch up.
  • Revealing..

While looking into a series of suicides of high-profile, powerful women, Dexter notices a pattern: they all saw the same shrink. Dexter goes into stalk mode and becomes a patient of the shrink to ascertain whether or not he is the killer that he seems to be. Unexpectedly, the shrink helps Dexter unlock dark secrets from his past. Debbie's latest relationship with Rudy also quickly heats up. Dexter's relationship with Rita, however, seems to be in danger as Paul works his way deeper into Rita's life and much to Rita's consternation, the kids love him and he's actually civil to her. Meanwhile, Dexter's certainty that Neil Perry is not the Ice Truck Killer helps LaGuerta to decide to not just accept Neil's confession, despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Finally the Ice Truck Killer gets revealed...
  • Do not read the "review" posted by melindakw, unless you want to read MAJOR spoilers about the Ice Truck Killer for future episodes.

WARNING!!"

The "Review" posted below by melindakw is not a review at all, but a statement of major spoilers for episode 8 and MAJOR spoilers for the story arc in future episodes concerning the Ice Truck Killer. She provides no spoiler warning or spoiler space. Her posting has no place in a forum for individuals watching the episodes for the first time.

This has been reported to tv.com moderators and hopefully they will do something about it.

(repeating to meet 100 word minimum)

• A excellent episode for revelations.

Dexter admits he is a serial killer and then murders the shrink....but not before revealing he had sex with Rita and he feels good...so ironically the shrink actually helped him.
    We learn that Rudy is the Ice truck killer and Dexter seems almost drawn to him ..but alas kills him as well even after discovering that Rudy is actually his long lost brother Brian.
    Dexter is still trying to live up to Harry's code but it is getting harder and Doakes is hot on his trail..can't wait for the next episode.
    Poor Deb...maybe now Rudy is dead she could date Angel (Ha ha)
  • Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie.

Dexter goes one-on-one with a shrink. Maria gets killer nerd boy to withdraw his confession. Dexter snoops around in shrink's office, to find that his patients were victim of his emotional and mental murder. Dexter actually has a break in therapy, and gives Rita a piece. Debra also gets a piece from a serial killer as well, but it's not Dexter, it turns out the Doc she's dating is the real ice truck killer. Did not see that coming. Doc replies to Dex's craigslist message. Things don't look to good for Deb off-screen. The shrink gets "shrink wrap"-ed after Dexter's breakthrough. The ice truck killer would seem a little cliche if the character wasn't introduced so early in the season. Looks like it played out fine. don't worry barbie, we'll both share a cold one soon.
  • As some of you might have guessed, it was the doc...

I am glad I didn't spoiled too much of the plot before watching this episode. As soon as he was introduced, I had a feeling it was him, Dr. Rudy. Loved three aspects of this episode. 1. Dexter and the therapist 2. Lieutenant Maria LaGuerta's scheme with the fake and the whole thirst for credit thing going on and 3. The revelation of the ice truck killer.

Dexter went along with the therapist relaxation technique and his past was shown in very nice visual manner. It's just an overall great episode. The only concern or I guess negative thing I find is the whole craiglist thing. Dexter and the ice truck killer were supposed to be meticulous, precise, etc, hard to track right? Then wouldn't using craiglist easily identify them using IP addresses? I don't know. In any case great episode. Gotta go watch the next.
  • Rudy is the ice truck killer

Emmett: "Most people can't stand blood"
    Dexter: "I hate it".

Liar, liar, pants on fire! If Dexter had such a hard time with blood, then his little night time hobby would be a lot more problematic than just getting caught. We've seen him sever people and he isn't the first bit squeamish about doing it either.

The only lingering emotion Dexter has so far expressed about blood is the fact it sets his teeth on edge which indicated his bloodlust but in his continuing quest to not draw attention to himself, it's hardly a shock that Dexter will say anything to not draw attention to his darker impulses.

This week on the death o meter, it turns out that three very strong and successful women have all been killed in quite a horrific manner but instead of being yet another slew of victims by the Ice Truck Killer, it happens to be that all of these women had ended their lives but Dexter's convinced that they didn't do it willingly.

You can't blame him for thinking that way. You don't have to be a blood spatter analyst, a serial killer or even have an imagination to at least come to the natural conclusion that the latest victim didn't exactly volunteer to take her own life. Even if she wasn't murdered, it's clear that someone was definitely pushing her buttons for her to end things in quite the messy manner she did it.

When the usual cliché of the spouse turns out to be a dead end, the writers go for something more innovative. After all this show either tries to ignore clichés or sends them up in a way other police dramas evade. It's made this show all the more a must see hit as result too.

The piece of innovation in question is that all three of the women were patients of the same psychiatrist – Emmett Meridian and soon enough, Dexter decides to investigate the shrink and the best way to do that is to become a patient. It wouldn't be the first time Dexter has played the long game and lulled his victims into a false sense of security and it's a necessary ploy for the victim.

Also in order to be convincing, Dexter has to do the one thing he has a particular hang up – allowing someone else to have a sense of control over him. It also doesn't help that the person in question happens to be a threat but Dexter is more than eager to put Emmett into an early grave before he does more damage.

And as shrinks go, Emmett is probably one of the least patronising sounding ones on TV but he's no Huff either and he's quick to spot Dexter's need for control. It probably didn't do Dexter any favours when the first thing he did in his session was to try and turn things to his advantage by questioning Emmett's abilities as a shrink. Now that was just playing into Emmett's hands and Dexter didn't seem to like that one bit.

Still while going along with his reasonably well executed charade, Dexter actually does get some help from Emmett when he gets to open up about his and Harry's unethical father/son relationship and in general being adopted, which only two weeks ago both LaGuerta and Deb engaged in a conversation about.

For Dexter, this week's flashbacks saw him trying to control his urge to kill another classmate for crudely jesting about Deb in a sexual manner and a rather pissed off Harry had to drill that into Dexter. Heck we even saw Dexter get a little carried away when he had Harry at his advantage too.

You kind of wonder at this point why Harry just didn't try to get Dexter professional help as it did appear that his code was no longer going to rein Dexter in. There's also every chance even now that Dexter will cross the line that Harry spent too much time trying to keep out of.

That being said, I don't blame Dexter for wanting to kill Josh. I live in a town with narrow minded nasty jerks just like him and the urge to react violently is always high. You do wonder why people like Josh get out of trying to provoke a fight with someone they either don't know or dislike for some inane reason. Either Dexter does seem to have his own deep seated parental issues and there are ones that won't be going away anytime soon. We still don't even know what happened in his life prior to being adopted that might have contributed to the way he is even now.

But Harry isn't the only thing that Dexter doesn't have to be worried about as since Paul has resurfaced his nasty self, Dexter now has to work even harder to keep his pretences with Rita and the kids going and while he felt excluded with the kids trying to bond with their father, it's Rita's yearning for sex that really put the frighteners into him this week.

After that somewhat expected breathing exercise, Dexter managed to get the urge to flee his therapy session and then go back to Rita where the two of them finally had sex for the first time and while it may have been hot, there was also something rather sweet attached to it. Dexter talked about Rita sussing him out and he seemed sad at the idea of losing her rather than losing a means of masking his true nature.

He needn't have worried because not only did the sex actually give nothing away but it also solidified their relationship as well. Now Rita feels even closer to Dexter and with any luck the two of them will find a way of getting rid of Paul. I know he's supposed to an obstacle and so forth but someone like Doakes is far more effective in that role compared to a drug addled wife beater.

However while Emmett may have done some good for Dexter, he still had to pay the price for getting his female patients to take their own lives and his hubris when Dexter confessed to being a serial killer was priceless. We haven't seen Dexter kill for a while and he certainly savoured taking Emmett out. In a way, I was sad about Emmett having to die due to the fact that Tony Goldwyn was so great in the role; I ended up wishing that he had been signed on for at least three episodes as opposed to one. Of course gory deaths, sex and abusive former spouses aside, the best part of this episode was it's last two minutes and all because we finally got to see who the Ice Truck Killer really and it's none other than Rudy. Come on, it couldn't have been Dexter and it was extremely obvious that it wouldn't be any of the regular cast members and the simple way he was revealed at the end works perfectly.

Plus Rudy is also now deeply connected to Deb so you can argue that another personal stroke has been added in the ongoing Dexter/ITK twisted love story too if you want. In a matter of three episodes Rudy has gone from creepy potential fling to the very man that Deb has fallen in love with.

Okay we've seen this in plenty of US TV nowadays where characters barely know each other and they fall head over heals and end up impulsively marrying them while another person in the real world would take the time to get to know them rather commit themselves so freely.

Still though it's almost easy to buy into Deb's sudden attraction to Rudy, especially given how convincing Jennifer Carpenter is. Deb cries during sex and Rudy boasts her self-confidence and she has no problem whatsoever in letting him use her legs as models for another patient. Heck I even laughed over the fact that Deb went into details of her feelings for Rudy in front of Masuka and Doakes. It's just a pity that the poor girl is in for a serious fall.

As for Rudy being the Ice Truck Killer, I'm personally cool with it but I am wondering what his motives really are. Like Dexter he's perfectly to make himself appear normal and after butchering Tony Tucci, it's amazing that he's able to give his former victim a new set of legs too. Rudy's level of integrating with society really is scary as he was able to even fool Doakes.

Plus not only how did he find out about Dexter but why is also so obsessed with him too? I liked the way Dexter attempted to reach out to the ITK via an online ad and how Rudy ended the episode by replying before heading into his big old freezer. This plot has managed to get ten times better and there are still four episodes left.

With the real ITK revealed, it was finally time to scrap the phoney and on her quest to slowly but surely prove that she has some intelligence, LaGuerta listened to Dexter's theory about Neil being a fake and came up with a few ways to trick him into confessing.

Of course Neil isn't entirely stupid and when's he able to suss that the journalist Maria allowed him to talk is really another cop, he has great fun in teasing her about not only the Captain now taking credit for the capture of the ITK but also how she managed to bag her promotion all those years ago over Doakes.

It was established in the previous episode that Neil had nicked certain police files so him knowing the latter piece was interesting. Deep down Maria might be a good cop but also I have the feeling that she knows that Doakes is a better and was more deserving for the promotion as opposed to her.

That being said whether she's a good cop or not or even a total pain in the arse, I didn't want to see her undermined by a pathetic piece of scum like Neil Perry so her method of waving a head in front of his face until he confessed was a sweet moment for Maria. Not only can she keep someone like Neil off the streets but her actual police work proved that the Ice Truck Killer was still at large.

Sadly while Maria has progressed, her Captain has devolved and while I could almost understand him taking over the press release last week, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the way he casually dismissed Maria's breakthrough. Sadly for him, payback's a **** and Maria is one of it's advocators as she decided to let Tom dig his own grave.

Also in "Shrink Wrap"

Congrats to Tony Goldwyn who not only put in a superb performance as Emmett but he was also the guy who directed this very episode. He also helmed the equally excellent "Return To Sender".

Angel: "Why do blood stains look like crustacean to you?"
    Dexter: "I love sea food".

The social worker who stayed Dexter and Paul was a bit insensitive with Rita arriving home late during the storm. She could've left when Dexter arrived. Paul's the liability, not Dexter.

Deb: "I'm a team player"
    Dexter: "You are?"
    Deb: **** you".

Dexter: "It's personal"
    Emmett: "This is therapy we share a personal thing".

All of Emmett's victims were women but when confronted by Dexter, he wasn't able to explain why he targeted them. He might have done if he wasn't gagged.

LaGuerta: "We both want the same thing"
    Neil: "Ten minutes alone with Angelina?"

Gay Neighbour (re Emmett): "How about you, how are you finding him?"
    Dexter: "I'm a sociopath, nothing can help me".

It was funny that Dexter seemed oblivious to being chatted up by that neighbour of his. It's almost too bad that Dexter is straight.

Deb: "I'm sure it's really hot crying after sex"
    Rudy: "Everything about you is hot".

Neil (to LaGuerta): "Let's be honest you didn't catch me, your Captain did. At least that's what they say on the news".

I wonder why Rudy made the prosthetics of Deb's legs. The patient thing was a ruse. Maybe he wants a momentum after he kills her.

Rudy: "Embarrassed to be seen with Captain Hook?"
    Deb: "Not even a little".

Dexter: "You want there to be a next time?"
    Rita: "And a time after that, don't you?"

Dexter's aliases this week were Sean Ellis (to Emmett) and frozenbarbie@hotmail.com for the Ice Truck Killer.

Dexter: "I'm a serial killer. Oh God that feels so amazing to say out loud"
    Emmett: "Well that is amazing because I've never heard you make a joke before".

Standout music: "Make Me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen.

Dexter (to Emmett): "You helped me accept who I really am. I'm grateful for that but I was raised with certain principles. Sorry but actions have consequences and this is yours".

Chronology: Few days since "Circle Of Friends", perhaps more judging on Rudy/Deb's relationship.

I really wanted to know the identity of the Ice Truck Killer and while I'm surprised that they didn't wait until the final or penultimate episode for the big reveal, "Shrink Wrap" was so amazingly satisfying; I couldn't fault it to a tee. Seriously there wasn't even remotely bad about this episode, it was literal perfection.
  • Review

I'm thrilled to look ahead in the season one rankings for Dexter and see 3 episodes that are supposed to be better then this one. This episode was nothing short of amazing. Every scene had a purpose and the true identity of the Ice Truck Killer is revealed, which can put to bed several questions I believe. So the Ice Truck Killer is the new boyfriend of Deb, which I thought was fantastic writing on the part of the writers. While I saw it coming, Im sure only a handful of people really got the twist ahead of time. The fact that this man is going after Deb now must mean something and draws many questions - why did he stop temporarily to get involved with Deb. Also a very sick connection in that he happens to be the person fixing the man he cut limbs off of. Thought I didnt get the cough drop clue handed to us a few episodes back. Possible tag team in the making perhaps? Dexters trip to the Shrink were amazing, some of the best scenes of the series. Really great writing during those scenes and the flashbacks to a time where Dexter got his first real urge to go and kill someone. And it seems like his father is always watching over him in some way, making sure he doesn't snap. I love the use of flashbacks in this series so far. Not too much, but enough to make them worth the time they are given. Also loved to see the sexual connection between Dexter and Rita though I don't know what is going to become of it in the future episodes. Dexter has said that any woman he has relations with usually sees him for the emptyness inside that he is. Hopefully that wont happen with the shows best tag team, I believe. Overall, very good episode. Even Maria kept me entertained with her pursuing the fact that this man is the real Ice Truck Killer. Best episode of the series so far - I hope there are better ones, but this is setting some very high standards.
  • The Ice Truck Killer is revealed

So some serial killers are scarier than others because the Ice Truck Killer is uber-creepy. But at least we know who it is now. This was a great episode. Dexter actually being antimated during his therapy sessions was great. His smile seemed to actually be a smile of happiness and not just for show. All of the therapy sessions were great and showed us so much about who Dexter is and how much his adopted father has meant to his life and growth as a killer and as a human.

I am looking forward to the watching the rest of episodes and can't wait for Dexter and the Ice Truck Killer to come face to face.
  • Amazing episode that fixes some of the original novel's flaws.

In a different review I've mentioned that "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" isn't a great novel. When I came across this series (last year's best kept secret if there's one) I wondered if the creators would know and were hoping to improve on it with the adaptation or just loved the original and were determined to translate it faithfully. I now think there's a little of both, but definitely a clear awareness of the novel's shortcomings.

In this episode we're back to the elements that made Dexter's first few episodes so great. There's a serious argument being made about sex and violence here, but it's ultimately tied entirely to the characters and the story, in no way feeling like an idle fortune cookie TV moral. As for the elements of the novel fixed in here, I'm not entirely sure about how many of them are going to be corrected. I'm referring to the two bigger ones related to the plot itself, not the writing. Those would be the dreams Dex has and his doubts about them and the Ice Truck Killer's actual identity. While the later is probably left untouched, which could retain the lame factor of the book's solution, the other one is definitely fixed through great casting and simply not addressing the issue in the series so far (except for a marginal reference: "I never dream. When I sleep every part of me sleeps"). The episode-specific things going on here, by the way, are some of the best in the show. Michael C. Hall is amazing in this, his Emmy absence a shame to everybody. Thankfully season 2 is underway and he'll be getting at least one more chance. He deserves it. On a side note, it's a pity that Emmys tend to be a popularity contest rather than an artistic recognition, but that's how these things work.

Where I live, Shark is being marketed as the natural successor of House's crown for dysfunctional heroes. I couldn't disagree more. Shark's cookie cutter format plagiarism is further from House's brilliance and tone than Dexter. Let the blood-stained slides keep coming.
  • We finally find out the true identity of the Ice Truck Killer.

Fantastic episode! For one thing, it was amzing when you consider that the actor playing the shrink also directed this episode. Secondly, even though it's not the season finale, they revealed the identity of the Ice Truck Killer, which I and most people I know, weren't expecting till the season finale.

It's a nice twist that the ITK is involved with dexter's sister Debs and considering the interest he's shown in Dexter's past, it shouldn't have come as a surprise that he's interested in his family, dexter's only family, his sister.

Another breaktrought happened in Dexter and Rita's relationship, which I'm sure will improve once they get rid of Paul, the ex on parole. And I think they will get rid of him, one way or the other...
  • Frauds Written by Lauren Gussis Directed by Tony Goldwyn

Emmett: "Most people can't stand blood"
    Dexter: "I hate it".

Also in "Shrink Wrap"

Angel: "Why do blood stains look like crustacean to you?"
    Dexter: "I love sea food".

Deb: "I'm a team player"
    Dexter: "You are?"
    Deb: **** you".

Dexter: "It's personal"
    Emmett: "This is therapy we share a personal thing".

LaGuerta: "We both want the same thing"
    Neil: "Ten minutes alone with Angelina?"

Gay Neighbour (re Emmett): "How about you, how are you finding him?"
    Dexter: "I'm a sociopath, nothing can help me".

Deb: "I'm sure it's really hot crying after sex"
    Rudy: "Everything about you is hot".

Rudy: "Embarrassed to be seen with Captain Hook?"
    Deb: "Not even a little".

Dexter: "You want there to be a next time?"
    Rita: "And a time after that, don't you?"

Dexter: "I'm a serial killer. Oh God that feels so amazing to say out loud"
    Emmett: "Well that is amazing because I've never heard you make a joke before".

Standout music: "Make Me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen.

• "I can't kill Meridian yet. I need another session!"

"I can't kill Meridian yet. I need another session!" is one of Dexter's lines on this episode. Actually, one of a few that have a taste of dark humor in the exact quantities needed. The thing is this episode acts as a kind of closure to a storyline arc that started with Neil Perry's character, but went beyond it. And the funny thing is it ended just as it has began: high on top, which can happen only when the end is programed right from the beginning, which on it's turn show us how careful the production of this show was. Almost as careful as Drexter himself.

The high moment of the episode is Michael C. Hall's performance when coming to Rita's house late at night to have sex with her. It has been a long time since I saw an actor/actress show so much only with facial expression. It was amazing and disturbing at the same time disturbing.

Finally, we are shown who the true Ice Truck Killer really is. And guess who was right? I still think it was too soon, but since last episode the clues were too incriminating. But if you think we're gonna lose some of the exciment, you're wrong. Now, every moment Deb passes with him may be her last since at the end of the episode he sends a very "tender" message to Dexter saying they are going to play together with someone very soon.

In other words, stay tuned!

PS. I just wish Dexter hadn't killed Dr. Meridian. In one's view he didn't killed his patients, he just induced them to.
  • Another amazing episode

Dexter’s target victim this week is a psychiatrist who use’s his influence to persuade powerful successful women to commit suicide. Before Dexter can go in for the kill he must first investigate which leads him to have a few session of therapy. Mean while Paul, Rita’s estranged husband is making life more difficult Rita, Dexter, and the kids. LaGuerta discovers that Perry is a fake when his fingerprints don’t match the ones found at the abandoned hospital. Deb is dating Rudy who turns out to be the Ice Truck Killer. This episode was really good and had a lot of important thing happen. I can only see bad thing in the future for Dexter now that Deb is dating the Ice Truck Killer especially since he know about Dexter’s secret lifestyle.
  • Wouldn't Dexter like to know his sister is sleeping with the enemy or maybe his friend?

Now we know who the Ice Truck Killer is, and now we are left with a whole bunch of new questions...like how does he know Dexter? how does he follow Dexter? is he only sleeping with his sister to get to him? and many more. What's in those jars in his freezer anyway? I can't stand Paul. It seems he's building up to hurt Rita again (physically). I hope Dexter takes him out or someone else does. I love when Dexter gets cosy with his 'intended', because you may think he won't kill them, and then wham, he kills them anyway.
  • I wish I could just put an N/A for the number score.

I've been holding off on writing this review ever since I saw the episode. Dexter has been the best new show of the season by far. Ugly Betty is cute, Heroes is limping along to something interesting, and Studio 60 is always about to turn a corner (unfortunately the show is a downward spiral). But Dexter is something special. It's a show that meets the potential of its premise rather than coasts on it. It's perfectly cast, well-balanced, smartly-written, and showcases some brilliant direction. This is all not to mention the masterful performance of voice-over work of lead Michael C. Hall.

And yet the reveal of the Ice Truck Killer may have deflated my hopes for this show.

First, let's get to the good: the direction this episode was the best yet. It's one thing to direct the gruesome stuff. But what really captures the beauty and humanity of this show where the two sex scenes: the one between Debra and Rudy and the one between Dexter and Rita felt real. Director Tony Goldwyn managed to find that rare balance of intimacy and sexiness in these scenes. Credit is also due to writer Lauren Gussis for the making the conversations feel real and the actors for making sure that each of her words came to life. I honestly can't remember when I saw a sex scene so well done, let alone two.

But then there's the ending. We discover the identity of the Ice Truck Killer and the show now feels like it's reaching when before everything just came so easily. On the one hand, Rudy makes sense. He makes sense to the point where it's not at all surprising. Someone who deals with amputation is a very obvious choice. However, I don't see why the Ice Truck Killer couldn't have just been a stranger. To put him so close to Debra AND Tony Tucci makes both those characters look completely retarded. I want to trust this show and trust that in the end, Rudy as the ITK will yield dividends (and obviously the potential is there since he's so close to Debra), but I had him pegged as the ITK assuming it was someone we already knew. And while it isn't an outlandish choice, it's also a bit of a letdown.

Now, finally, I can move on to the next episode and have a new hour of Dexter kick around in my head for a couple weeks.
  • Better and better and better and better

This show continually meets and exceeds expectations.

SPOILER TO FOLLOW, do NOT read on if you've not yet seen the ep...

What a phenomenal twist! All I can say is poooor Deb...

Here I was just enjoying the episode for its own self-contained storyline, and then comes the next step in the over-arching story of the Ice Truck Killer!

I should've known there was something a little funny about the new Doc. I already realised he'd probably hurt Deb; there was too much concentration on him and Deb's investment in him, for him to just become a stock-standard love interest.

We discovered tonight just how Laguerta (sp?) got her position, in some nice exposure yielded by the most unlikely of sources (crybaby), and as mentioned, we see Deb fall deeper and deeper for our new Doc. Can't WAIT for next week, as usual!
  • Dexter finds taped therapy sessions troubling so he kills the therapist. The therapist had patients who had committed suicide. We learn who the ice truck killer is.

5.4
    Am I the only one who thinks that Dexter could very easily have gotten this one wrong? Having not spent time treating strong willed patients with suicide ideation there are a lot of details I don\'t know (and neither would Dexter). How many take their lives no matter what anyone else does? Is \"tough love\" therapy a reasonable choice? Who says he even has the ability to cause such an outcome? He may be a lousy therapist but I don\'t see nearly the required evidence to condemn him to death. Is that possibly the point?

Obviously the pretext for the series is over the top but even in that context I don\'t see how people conclude this action fits with the others we\'ve seen. It is usually wrong when the government punishes people for what they say or think and it is even more questionable in the case of a vigilante. I suppose Huff is lucky that he was cancelled or Dexter might be visiting him soon on a trip to L.A.
  • Miami, murderer, moody, mosquito...

Directed by Tony Goldwyn, bloody wife in a blood full bathtub, turned out two other women already killed herself in the same bloody way, (alright enough blood already, I guess), and turned out these women had the same shrink. Dexter went in undercover as a patient, and uncovered that the shrink kills using psychology, or messing up people’s minds. On the other story lines, Dexter shunned sex after Rita came on to him at first, but retuned after induced traumatic memories with shrink. How weird is that! And, of course, the shrink didn’t live. Can’t wait for the next episode and the ice truck killer is out (I think he might be just a copycat), the apocalypse is great!
  • Just made me realize that this show is brilliant!

Ever episode gets better and better. I'll never stop watching if they keep this up. I've enjoyed every episode to date and this one finaly pushed me over the edge. This show is f***ing BRILLIANT! I didn't feel like writing more but the minimum is 100 words so i'll just copy and paste. :)

• Great episode as usual, but...[read review]

...it was a little predictable.
    It's not a big problem, but if the episode could have delivered the punch, it would be a 9+ episode, which is very rare nowadays.

We found out who the real ice truck killer is, although, people with a few years of tv-show experience, like myself, could've guessed who it is from the previous episode.
    Debra's date, without Dexter being in it, is irrevelant to the plot, so why show it? Surely, they showed it for the person who Debra dated with, the doctor - who's turned out to be the ITK - and the whole date scene was so the doc drop his mysterious line involving the bodyparts.

That was too much of a clue, actually, it was like a spoiler, destroyed big part of this episode.

The episode, on the other hand, had great character moments. Dexter targeted a therapist, who was telling his patients to finish with themselves in their weakest moments. Kinda... weird, eh? I liked every therapist-Dexter moment, it was really a blast, but as I said, the episode couldn't really deliver the punch.

Eight.
  • a glimpse into the workings of a killer...and I don't mean Dex...

Poor, poor Deb. I feel so sorry for her. She is one of my favorite on the show and I think she deserves someone who treats her right. I thought she had found him. A doctor who was nice to her, good looking, liked what she did for a living. And you could tell that she was in to him. She told him that being with him was like making love and not just f*cking. She also said that she was scared to tell people because this was something special to her. So of course it has to go bad, real bad, as in like new boyfriend is the one and only ice truck killer that she has been working on bringing down. And someone who knows Dexter’s secret. I see nothing but bad in her future.
  • As equally deserving of a score of 10 as last week. We see more of Dexter's past and more into his mind, Rita deals with her husband's return, Deb falls in love, LaGuerta plans her revenge and the Ice Truck Killer's identity is revealed.

Dexter's Kill of the Week this week was the most interesting, because it was a psychiatrist with a dark side. As Dexter scopes out the psychiatrist's office for clues about his killings, he is given insight into his own life through their sessions.

Rita's husband returning has made life difficult for her and Dexter, with Paul seeking to reunite with Rita. Rita sees this as a lure to return to her old life and confirms her love for Dexter and her new life. When she tries to be intimate with Dexter he leaves, fearing she will leave him after they are intimate. Then, he uses the psychiatrist to help him through that issue and embraces Rita and the loss of control he fears.

LaGuerta isn't going to take the betrayal to the press she received at the end of the last episode lying down, and acting on Dexter's advice, she looks into Perry's confession and finds that he is a fraud, but lets the DA proceed after voicing her doubts, securing the credit for the eventual bust and placing the blame elsewhere.

Deb has moved away from her usual string of bad men and is with the prosthetics doctor Rudy. She doesn't want to mess up what they have, but he might see to that eventually.

But the most interesting bit was when Dexter began to remember the event that twisted him beyond repair when he was a child. Seeing him crying in a pool of blood tells us we might soon see more of this past, which is exciting.

This show keeps getting better, everyone needs to see it. The only problem is that the show is a bit graphic, sexually and violently. This may stop it from reaching as many people as it might, even if it is all tastefully handled.
  • "Barbie, Be patient. One day we'll share a cold one."

The first word that comes into my head after watching this episode is: WOW! I just can't believe it! Did they really show us the ITK?!?! Talk about an unexpected reveal four episodes prior to the season finale! Not that the one who turns out to be ITK is exactly a shocker, but to have him explicitly revealed at this point is quite a surprise and I wonder what will happen next.

Michael C. Hall continues to exude confidence in a very difficult role. His performance is so intoxicating and provocative. I don't believe I have ever seen such intense acting on a TV show. (Note to self: Rent the Six Feet Under DVDs asap!)

Dexter has become my favorite new show this year and I can't wait for next week's episode. Thank you Showtime!
  • It was a bit predictable, but that's okay

Actually, I only began suspecting the doctor at the beginning of this episode. He\\\\\\\'s just using Debra to get to Dexter. It is kind of a bad twist, but I guess it\\\\\\\'s a good way to bring the ice truck killer and Dexter together. Neil Perry turned out to be a computer hacker, and was able to break the police\\\\\\\'s firewall and get all the information to make him look like the ice truck killer. The district attorney is still going to go through with prosecuting him for ice truck killings though. It\\\\\\\'s only gonna piss the doctor off letting someone else take credit for his killings. So he\\\\\\\'ll do it again. All we need to know now is how the doctor knows so much about Dexter and his secrets.
< 1 2