Dexter

Slack Tide

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2009 on Showtime

• It's always fun when Dexter kills someone.

I have to admit, it's always a pleasure to see Dexter back to his murderous, psychopathic ways. The show has slowly been evolving from its Season 1 ways, and I think this season proves how far its come along. While we've had the occasional lull in the story so far, and one particularly dumb plotline (it rhymes with Sch-matista and Schla-guerta), but for the most part, this season is leaving Season 3 in the dust. At the time, I thought Season 3 was pretty strong, but the first half was extremely weak and made the season feel lopsided in terms of quality. However, this season has season has been pretty consistant with some incredible episodes in between.

I really hope the Trinity storyline pays off. Right now, I'm as intrigued as I'm going to be, and it looks like next week, Dexter finally reveals to Trinity about his murderous past. Sometimes, it feels like the show drags out storylines to last until the end of the season. However, the first two seasons didn't do this as much. In Season 2, everything felt like it was paced perfectly.. if anything it ended a little early, leaving us with a season finale that felt a little lackluster. Right now, there's only five episodes left, so they need to really start picking things up if they want to finish up the Trinity storyline.

I am a little intrigued by this killing an innocent person storyline, although it feels like he's already done it. Wasn't Miguel Prado's brother innocent? He killed him out of self-defense, sure, but he was innocent nonetheless. And I'm getting a little tired of Harry doing nothing but reiterate what we've already been shown and told by real characters. I miss the days when we were actually shown flashbacks of Dexter's past.

However, there's a lot more promising aspects of the show than disappointing. Quinn appears to be going the Doakes route, and if he's not careful, he'll find himself locked inside a cabin in the Everglades. And with Deb getting so close to learning about Brian Moser and Dexter's real mom, things are getting pretty crazy. Let's hope that the writers can get control of the story and not let it get control of them.