Dexter

Smokey and the Bandit

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 16, 2011 on Showtime

• Dexter hunts the Tooth Fairy. And it's awesome.

This is now officially the funniest season of Dexter so far. Every episode had me laughing all the way through, which is a nice change of pace from last season's brood-o-thon.

This week, Dexter tracks yet another victim (he's 3 for 3 right now, that's a first if memory serves), an old serial killer from the 80s whom he adored back in his teenage years. After tracking him down to a home for the elderly, he befriends the old fart to try and find evidence that he's the infamous Tooth Fairy. And cue the laughter; Ronny Cox is hilarious as Walter Kenny, a bitter, obnoxious old man who can't stop rambling and complaining.

The Tooth Fairy's downfall from elusive serial killer to insufferable old man who's alienated everyone he's ever known is very scary to Dexter, who fears to share Walter's fate. Him dropping his precious blood slides to the floor at the end shows that fear in Dexter, and that may lead him to eventually abandon his trophy-collecting ways, a way to make sure he never ends up like the Tooth Fairy, spending days staring at teeth (or slides)... and Teen Ass, Nipple Parade and Spanked, of course. That would actually be an interesting turn of events.

On the other fronts, Deb stumbles as the new lieutenant, but eventually puts her foot down and becomes herself again after trying and failing to emulate LaGuerta. That was a nice mini-arc for Deb, starting to learn the ropes. Her little threat speech to Mike after being scoffed at was legendary.

Quinn, on the other hand, was as insufferable as ever. He's been the blandest, most boring character ever since season three, but he's just acting like a two year old now. I really hope the Deb-Quinn issue gets resolved really soon. It's LaGuerta and Batista from last year all over again.

The villains' plot this time around was good, but then again, we don't yet know their motivations enough to judge. I trust the writers will come up with a clever twist. There's already rumors about Gellar being Travis' split personality, but I really hope that's not the case. It's really pretty obvious and cliché. Here's to hoping he gets more involved. That also applies to Travis, whom I just can't picture cutting someone's stomach open to fill him with baby snakes, or cut someone to pieces and glue them to mannequins. I know they want to stay away from the Trinity approch, aka showing us the killings in all their gory glory, to keep us from comparing the two villains, but we are doing that comparison anyway, and so far, Colin Hanks' performance pales in front of John Lithgow's.

That said, those gripes don't take anything away from this great episode, and that's why it still gets a 10. But they better deliver the goods with the villains, because so far, Hanks gets a big fat zero as a Dexter bad guy.