Dexter

Surprise, Motherf**ker

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2012 on Showtime

• Well guess what? Here in MD we've already seen this episode

Huge Spoiler Alert!!!!! I don't know how this happened, but here in Northeastern MD, we were somehow (mistakenly, I presume) shown the series finale a few weeks ago. We watch via DirecTV and record all of the episodes to watch later.

The show started out seemingly in sync with previous events, with Victor revealing a photograph of Hannah who is being held by his man. Dexter demands to talk to her which is granted. I won't go into all of the details but the show ends with Hannah dead by Victor's assistant, after she poisons him. Deb finds her body.

Don't know how this came about, I deleted the episode after watching it with my wife so my details are subject to memory loss.

Didn't anyone else in the world see this???
  • HORRIBLE WRITING

1.5
    Everything was poorly written and porrly executed Dexter the show is a shadow of what it once was... Needs to end quickly. Cancel season 8 and make a final movie or something... Just ewwgh
  • Not Good With Ending.

Spoiler!

La Guerta must died or get asylum and never return for the next season. Because it's about Dexter, not her. But Deb shot her? Now Deb really f*ck up and I don't like it. Dexter is a dark hero and Deb? She is a white knight with holy sword white unicorn etc.. So, now she got identity crisis because of this and this episode begin go to opera soap?

No wonder many fans disappointed. Dexter must kill La Guerta, not Debra. Deb must follow her principle and maybe next season she must shoot Dexter. Or.. I just get bored with her (yawn).

I just like Hannah (Ivone) to get role and hope she will be back on the next season.

Well next season Debra will be Dexter's robin? Oh please..
  • Curtain Dexter, it's time.

2.5
    Quite while you're ahead guys. Dexter season 8 will be pulling the piss.
  • Rubbish.

This season was really great up until the end. Kidnapping Estrada in broad daylight on a busy Miami street? GPS tracking AFTER the fact? (Jesus Christ, the cops can see everywhere I've ever been since 2010, in that Hannah just walking out of the hospital in that lovely orange jumpsuit? Dexter practically anticipating his arrest by setting up LaGuerta before he looked genuinely surprised when she turned up at his apartment?

It felt like the writers had put too much into the season and tried to wrap everything up as fast as possible instead of carrying decent points over into the next season. Isaac's storyline was great, and he died at a good point between where he wasn't around for too long and didn't get shifted off as a meaningless side character.

LaGuerta should have been carried over into the last season. Her struggle with the department was interesting to watch, and knowing she was on the right track while everyone else was in some incredible Hank Schrader-esque denial about the Bay Harbor Butcher's continuing spree even after the evidence was piling up against Dexter because of his sloppy work, was very interesting to watch.

Dexter is going down, and he definitely deserves it now.

This show was never perfect, but it's really slipping now.
  • Dejavu?

So... Hanna did made a mistake afterall. Her first victim to escape... picked a wrong time to do that. However she's now loose again.

I swear when I saw LaGuerta at Dexter's home I couldn't keep still. LOL

Was it only me that could keep still when LaGuerta walked Dexter into the precinct?

The ending was dejavu... Dex & Deb in the same position again... but this time the 3rd person was alive. Jesus Christ Dexter! You made your sister sin.

How the f*@k will this end Dexter?!? They both started the new year with blood on their hands.
  • Wrong season

I think the serial has jumped the shark.

What I appreciated most were the incredible ways Dexter succeed in killing without being never discovered. The moment Deb caught him in the church, in the last season finale, that was the beginning of the end. If this had been the last season ok, but going ahead now will be very difficult.

I fear the serial is dead :(
  • Wait... what?

For real... 7 years of series for this? Weak season, weak season finale. I wont be surprise Dexter escaping with Harrison to a desert island full of cool monkeys and lots of coconut.
  • good season finale

but LOTS of loose endings here. and, again, that leads to the lazy writing i've been mentioning since season 5. the writers must think viewers are really stupid. this season finale made me remember a lot the first book, darkly dreamin dexter - in the books, laguerta dies incredibly soon. i'm sorry dexter wasn't caught - because after all the shit he's done i no longer root for him. nor debra. they're really f*cked up and i hope they get caught next season. but if the lazy and predictable writing continuous... i suspect they'll get away with everything and will run away and live in another country. perhaps even hannah will join them and they all go live happily ever after in argentina.
  • Surprise...

We all wanted Maria LaGuerta dead, it just never seemed possible our hopes would be met.

Going into this season I thought that the end would have Debra killing someone, but again, I never expected it to be her.

The episode had its moments, but it became a little too predictable, even if it did get darker than the show has ever gotten. The show had been taking a more mainstream turn recently, so this revelation that Dexter would kill an "innocent" (as Harry oddly worded it) was welcome from this watcher.

Fitting wrap-up, but not quite as good as we are accustomed to.
  • Surprised, motherfucker!

Well this was definitely a predicted this would happen, just not this way. I was hoping Debra would remain 'innocent' and that Dexter would solve their problems cleanly, but that would be a bit cliche.

One big problem is gone, but we see how Deb reacted to finding out about Dexter's true nature so what will she be like now? She keeps getting in even deeper.

Deb walking in on Dex was a sloppy mistake, but I'm wondering how they'll explain Estrada shooting LaGuerta in that container. I'll agree with AudioFileZ in that Dexter is more like a primal killer, but he was still doing it to protect his family. All in all, can't wait till Season 8!
  • Dexter.

OMG, i wasn't expecting anything like that, how does Hannah just walk out of the hospital & nobody informs Miami Police & now she's out there, free. Cant believe that Debra shot LeGuerta, but i guess to protect her brother not to mention LaGuerta had shit on Debra as well. Just a question what happened to the blood slides that Doakes kept, LaGuerta still has them hidden somewhere. What started out a great season, then frizzled out after Isaak's un timely death, is going to be i hope a fantastic start to the final season - 8. Well played for a season finale. Thumbs Up.
  • Mmmmm

Daaaaaayyyyyyyuuuuumn
  • Wonderful season...

From the previous season's end I concluded this will be one of the best seasons having to take Debra into his confidence and expecting the intensity to be this high, and yet seeing Debra do the ultimate sacrifice for Dexter's well being was the magic of this last a while there I thought she wouldn't...

I hope we get to season saw some writers saying that this show ended after season 5, but I everyone has time to check every show there this year we got new shows that are brilliant such as Arrow, Elementary, Vegas, but still Dexter owns...
  • Very good!

And thank god this only goes one more season. This episode pretty much made sure of it. You're borderline overstaying your welcome, Dex. Now get outta here, ya crazy so and so.
  • Now that's 'Struggle for existence'

'Dexter' has changed a lot. Having so many cliff hangers and excitements wasn't the shows typical style, but I guess I'm starting to like the new style. And the finale was a great episode (it would've been even better with Isaak Sirkov). I guess, this is the end of the road for Deb's normal life. She would probably even convince herself that she did it for her (to protect her career) and not for Dexter. May be even try to suicide. Now I don;t think they'll kill off her character because that'll be too much.

I feel in one of the episodes in the coming season Deb would probably say to Dexter

"I SHOULD'VE SHOT YOU!" - An emotional scene, that would be.

Anyway things I don't understand are:

- It wasn't just LaGuerta or Doakes who got the creeps from Dexter. At one point Quinn had serious doubts about Dexter too (Season 5) and interestingly it was LAGUERTA who wanted Quinn to back off! If she discussed this to Quinn (instead of Dexter's family friend Matheson) , he would have even shared the photographs of Dexter and Lumen dumping things into the sea in the middle of the night. The photos Quinn got from the guy he hired to spy Dexter. However, Quinn seems to be occupied with his love life issues.

- Why does no one, even Batista, asks LaGuerta "Why Dexter?" ?

- Hanna's escape scene was dumb! Seems a 10 year old could've tricked those cops. They didn't watched her nor handcuffed her instead let her have her privacy!

- So let me guess what Hanna did after her 'logical' escape. Probably went her home to get a flower and then gets back to her boyfriends apartment to leave it at the front door. I mean if the copss were looking for her would'nt it be her home and her boyfriends apartment they give more focus on (Dexter-Hanna relationship was not only public but it was Dexter who turned Hannah in so that should make Dexter's apartment the top of the list for the cops as they should've assumed that she might go to Dexter's for revenge or something.

Bottom line: It was damn good to see Doakes ( I miss all those previous characters like Trinity, Miguel,
  • My thoughts..

SPOILERS

Ok here we go...

1. Hannah wasn't handcuffed to the hospital bed?! prison guards are idiots.

2. So why did Deb shoot La Guerta instead of stepping out and letting dexter do it. Next season is gonna be full of her feeling atleast it would have been because she allowed dexter to kill La Guerta rather than killong herself. I dont like the way the writers forced her to cross the could have done it in a more logical manner. Anyways i hope next season doesn't revolve around her popping pills.

3. Are you telling methodolgical character like Lietenant Deb would allow there to be footage of Deb getting gas from the closest police station? I myself would have driven an hour out to get i just don't get the dumb decisions they make esp cause their jobs revolve around putting evidence together.

I still love the show though.
  • Very good finale!

A very good way to wrap up a season that hasn't gone so smoothly. There were some great moments (who can forget the incredible season opener?) and some not so good moments (the unnecessary stripper/bobby storyline), but overall this was a solid season of Dexter - definitely a lot better than season 6. i am going to miss the show when it finishes its last season, but it will be for the best as this show has definitely run thin. i will say this, I love the hannah mckay story and i can't wait till next season to see how it wraps up. This season finale doesn't rank as high as some of the other classic endings to dexter (season 4 and 2 in particular), but it was still a great hour of tv, everything wrapped up with still so much more left
  • WOW!!!

Now that I wasn't expecting!

When La Guerta was telling deb to kill Dexter, That shyt was intense. I was speechless. She was like "Put him down!" ,like Dexter is a rabid dog or something. You actually had a sense of Dexter as a monster. The finale blew my mind. This is the kind of writing that made ''Dexter'' what it is.
  • ending hymn or song?

guys whats that song which is played after LaGuerta's murder on the new year party scene?helppp??
  • No surprise here.

They had the last chance to divert from the simpsons-formula where, by and large, everything reverts to how it was at the beginning of a season. They could have Deb arrest Dex, or let him run, or let Deb pretend she's the BHB, or.... but no, they bailed out with another lame a kill that fixes everything so the police soap opera with serial killer gimmick can continue. Horray for another season that will be the same as the last five

Yes, yes Deb killed somebody. Big woop. The show is about Dexter, and the formula around him never changed.
  • Surprised!!, i know i was

What an ending, i was 80% thinking Deb was gonna shoot Dex, but i remember that La Guerta had dirt on Deb and Dexter so there was reason for Deb to shoot her, but intense setup, it showed Dexter at his darkest moment.

I hope next season is shorter and more to the point, nothing of track, and massive ending.
  • A bit predictable...

The finale had some great scenes and is setting up for a great last season.
  • Surprise Motherf**ker !!!!

10/10
  • Survival Instinct Trumps Harry's Code

Call it Choas Theory, or simply Murphy's Law, but whatever it is the once affable killer on his own mis-guided sense of justice has been demolished: reduced to a primal killer with only a criminal's survival instinct. Perhaps inevitable, the turn of events in the season six finale still shock.

A full six years after being first introduced to the affable serial killer with a semi-palable sense of justice comes what just may be finest single episode to date. That is certainly high praise as any story is largely coasting in such a time-line. Not Dexter however as it manages to make the audience squirm with tension, even destroying the very thing that made Dexter likeable in spite of his obsession. With this single episode Dexter is reduced to a criminal whose survival instinct has made him do things he never would do as he lived by "Harry's Code". Or has it?

Actually it still hasn't and that is because of the brilliant turn where not Dexter broke his code, or became a common criminal, but Deb did as if some kind of sacrificial lamb led to the altar. Whoa! LaGuerta messed with the wrong bitch! But, now things are so complicated that it is almost impossible to see what lies ahead without so many multiple outcomes that the audience is only left guessing. Thus calling this episode a brilliant turn is in no way an understatement.

Season six in its sum total comes off as a master-stroke in the Dexter canon. It has caused so much tension that one is balled up with a level of un-easiness that is hard to describe. In the past it wasn't on this level, even considering the game-changing season five finale. Fans actually need the time to un-coil and wait for season seven. Add to the Mt. Everest of morass the fact that the last of Hannah McKay isn't on the horizon and there must be a pot-boiler final season yet to come. Did I mention "brilliant"?
  • Wow!!!, little Ms. Debra Shows out......

I was so afraid that this episode was going to have Debra killed off. But yesssssss, they wacked Larguata or whatever her name is. I am so interested to see next season. This episode was so
  • How has it come to this

A fantastic season finale with a shocking ending where Debra decides between La Guerta and Dexter and chooses to kill La Guerta The only way Dexter could fix things is to kill La Guerta thats how desperate he had become and how close La Guerta was He originally did plan to make it look like someone else killed La Guerta but when Deb arrived the plan changed Dexter has proven to be smart enough to drop the Bay Harbour Butcher case but the La Guerta case will now open and could leave consequences especially for Debra Deb already feels distraught and you could see on Deb and Dexter's face when they returned to the party that they don't believe what had happened and that they have done a bad thing There is a lot to think about for season 8 when it returns in the summer.

• Surpise Motherf*cker

I think this was an excellent end to an awesome season.

First of all Dexter killed an innocent or two back in season three or four. Mistakes during his normal hunts. Nothing new there.

I didn't think the current trend of Debra knowing the real Dexter would work out. I thought they might have to make some plot where Debra either died or forgot everything.

But behold, It was Deb that killed the innocent (as Harry coined it) and although she cried obsessively afterward when they went to Batista's party they seemed like they were holding it together pretty well (like she scratched her knee and after crying it was all better). Makes me wonder if there isn't a table set-up in Deb's future and who might be on it if there is.

I thought LaGuerta was going to get it. She was screwing around too much and outlived her usefulness as a character, especially after Williams left. Still I was envisioning her getting suspended or terminated.

As far as this not being as good as previous episodes, I would like to remind people this is the first we seen where Debra involved herself in one of Dexter's kills by choice. We know that she helped cover up the kill at the end of season 6, but that was exclusively Dexter. Afterwards she helped cover his tracks again, but still this was all after the fact. This was the first time Deb willingly participated in actually killing someone. It's a far cry from the season 6 finale. I think the interesting turn will be how this picks up in Season 8. It looks like Deb may have a little psychopath in her, and if she can hold it together may become the perfect partner for Dexter. No one can watch this from Season 1 and not see this one coming.
  • Do you remeber Miguel Prado ????

I just can't help but to remember that episode from season 3 when Miguel Prado tries to kill La Guerta because she was suspecting him to commit a murder , & he was justifying that he needs " to protect him self & do what he has to do for survival " , and that what made dexter kill him to protect the innocent La Guerta !!!!!

NOW both Dex & Deb decide to get rid of La Guerta the innocent they once protected HOW F***ed up is that ?????

• OMG! That last scene!!!

Thinking about the last scene still gives me goosebumps. After that scene, I just couldn't move for a whole minute or more as I was in complete shock. The intensity, acting, writing was spot on in that scene. Jennifer, you rocked that scene when you cried and hugged laguerta after you shot her. It just felt so natural for her to feel bad about killing a person, an innocent one even. JC really deserves an emmy for this season of Dexter. This season is officially my most favourite season of Dexter.

I haven't given this kind of rating for a dexter episode since 'Run' but this one really deserves it. This episode had the urgency required in a episode like this. Really, Quinn should be dead too. And please dont start with him dating Batista's sister. I'm done with Quinn's love life. I can't believe Batista is actually retiring. Deep in my heart, I thought that he would change his mind in the process. Going to miss him working in the Police Department. Doakes was fun to watch. I must admit, the make-up artists absolutely nailed Dexter's hair and look from season 2. It actually felt like a scene which was filmed during Season 2.

I felt so sad for Laguerta in that last scene, although I hated her character, as she could never get justice for her innocent friend, Doakes. That scene where she arrests Dexter, I'm so glad that it wasn't a dream sequence. Now, the police department knows that Dexter was a suspect in the BHB case.

Hate to wait a whole year for the next season. The ending of this season was more intense for me than the last season's. Hope they continue from where they left off.
< 1 2