Dexter

Swim Deep

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 28, 2012 on Showtime

• Deb saves Dexter

In this episode La Guerta pushes forward in her investigation into the Bay Harbour Butcher but her mistake was not keeping it a secret because she asks Deb to help her question the families and Deb was shocked to see Dexter on a photo at the wedding where he was getting ready to kill someone Dexter tells Deb he believes that with no body there is no proof but he was close to been caught but he wouldn't be in this position if Debra hadn't found out about Dexter Dexter finds out that Hannah McKay is a killer and it is likely that she will be his target on the next episode while watching out for La Guerta.
  • Incoherent

What happened in this season? I see all these inconsistencies popping up and this episode is so far one of the weakest.

Why does the wedding photographer's family have the pictures from that wedding? The photographer disappeared directly after the wedding, how did anyone got his pictures?

Why is Dexter suddenly so out of character at some scenes? Like when he confesses to murder over the phone to Isaac, and via the jail phone, which most probably is tapped recorded.

At the first episode LaGureta picked up the blood slide at the crime scene and said to the CS technician to make sure to that blood slide as evidence. How come the slide is suddenly such a secret?

It unfortunately feels like this season is the least coherent yet.
  • Swim Deep

It's not that this year's main arc is particularly boring, but past history shows us that things should have picked up by this point and that does not seem to be happening anytime soon. It's just not as fun as it usually is, look at the way this episode was structured to see that.

And the LaGuerta scenes are just painful to watch.
  • A fine balance between intrigue and entertainment

As I said in my previous review, this season is going far too fast - and I stand by that statement still. Dexter is 'free' from Isaac (SP), but I can guarantee that he's not free from the brotherhood. There's a fine chemistry between Dex and Hannah, she seems to enjoy her time as a killer as much as Dex enjoys the chase he goes through for his kill - not sure how this relationship will develop either. Hopefully it won't be another Louis and kill her off suddenly.

My main gripe is Deb's acceptance. She's the moral part of Dexter, the aspect that's always balanced him between the next kill and doing what's morally right. Now she's fine with it - so long as she doesn't know. Seriously? I can accept that there's only two seasons left, so they have to make haste progress with certain characters, but Deb will be here until the end of the show, so there's no point in rushing.

I did enjoy the episode, but I'm beginning to gain a few gripes with certain aspects of this season - still, it's fine progress from last season!
  • Twisty

This weeks episode of Dexter - Swim Deep - probably the best episode ever. So dark, as Dexter falls deeper into the brown, murky stuff, beginning to realise that his hobby of ritually executing pathological killers that have evaded justice is just not fun any more, along with the love/want to kill relationship between him and Yvonne Strahovsky from Chuck confusing things further... Excellent...!
  • Double Trouble

Dexter continued his very busy season 7 schedule this week. LaGuerta begins to move forward on her investigation and brings Deb in to the fold after Deb finds out about her getting lab tests done outside of the Miami Metro Labs which Masuka saw as a hint of him getting fired. LaGuerta has a list of missing people since the Butcher case was officially closed. Deb takes the list to Dexter and he points to three one of which was a wedding photographer who killed single women who went to the weddings and photographed it. Dexter says that he wasn't seen and Hannah, Wayne Randall's "unwitting accomplice," to discover other bodies buried in Miami. Sure enough they dig up a dead couple wrapped up in a shower curtain. The evidence suggests that the woman of the pair was killed by someone much smaller than Randall which makes him aware that Hannah was much more than a prisoner of Wayne Randall, especially when Dexter noticed her playing with the giraffe toy Randall had with as he put it, "nostalgia." Dexter in the meantime has Isaac on his back and notices that his curtains are drawn in his apartment and so draws Isaac out to a different location by calling his apartment and leaving a message about a meeting Dex is supposed to be at. Then Dexter calling the caf and standing there talking about why Isaac was after him was one of the powerhouse scenes of the episodes which further solidifies that Ray Stevenson is just the man for the Big Bag Job. Also the discovery of Louis's blood on his boat really surprised Dexter seemed really surprising and I think he suspects that Louis was on his boat to perhaps sabotage it. Him being aloof to his complicity in killing Viktor Baskov and then when Isaac brings up targeting the whole police department and Deb Dexter immediately goes into paternal mode and admits that he killed Viktor but he did it alone. I think Isaac being aware of the transponder in the necklace Viktor had on him that led him to the boat threw Dexter for a loop. His research on Viktor and noticing that he can't just kill him like any normal bad guy because surely other Koshka Brotherhood Boss's would surely come to Miami to investigate his death and exact revenge which left him little options. Batista further investigates the bartender suicide and how it doesn't fit with him loving his family and Deb has to shoot him down for Dexter's sake. Also, her staying in LaGuerta's investigation and visiting the wedding photographer's son and finding Dexter in one of the shots and pocketing it really proves that Dexter needs her help even though by episode's end she will no longer want to be a part of it. Dexter's leading Isaac into the Columbian bar was so very clever and well executed in the post-investigation and it fitting into the earlier details of the Columbian cartel being at war with the Koshka Brotherhood. Isaac is according to Dex, "a brutally efficient killer." Dexter matches blood from the scene to Isaac and he gets arrested and charged with the killing of the three cartel guys in the Columbian bar. The scene where Dexter told Deb about Isaac following him and her finally putting together that he killed Viktor Baskov it's like she just keeps getting hit with new information this year and it keeps damaging her psyche and really leads to her organically saying that she won't be a part of covering up Dexter's activities anymore. The scene stealer of the episode goes again the Ray Stevenson for his conversation with Dexter, who is given a run for his money by Michael C. Hall, in the final scene where Isaac is behind bars and tells him that "This is not over." Putting Isaac behind bars is a smart move writing wise since we're not even half of the way through the season and if this kept up he would've logically been done away with in one or two more episodes but this way makes it much more complicated and he can surely plead self-defense since the cartel soldiers were armed to the teeth. Anyway, I don't really see how Hannah can fit into Dexter's life at this point but there will be a cat and mouse at least along with all of their URST.
  • Swim Deep

Swim Deep was a perfect and entertaining episode of Dexter. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and there were some great action sequences. The stakes got higher for Dexter and Deb as Laguerrta gets involved and Sgt. Batista tries to continue his own investigation. Isaac continues his pursuit of Dexter and it was great watching Dexter do some great scheming. It was equally interesting to see Dexter and Hannah talk more. It looks like there are plenty of sub plots to develop. It was cool how Deb covered Dexter's A$5. I liked the ending and look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Dexter.

Dexter what have you done, You've messed with the wrong people & i'm sure

you will get yourself out of this, but in the mean time you've involved so many

people. If Quinn takes the bribe that would not surprise me, i never really liked him.

I knew Debra would never come around with what Dexter does, it wouldn't be a good

storyline for Debra to accept it. What did Debra say "Obviously you dont know Dexter

because this is normal for you, but trust me this is not f*** nornal for me not at all.

How am i suppose to do my f*** job which at this point is the be all & end all of hypocrisy.

Because i am the LT of f*** homicide & i have already helped you cover up 2 murders,

3 this makes 3" . Poor Debra... Loved this episode.