Dexter

Take It!

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 14, 2010 on Showtime

• disappointed at dexter

the first two episodes of season five were very sad, i almost cried several times. they were sad, but good. and then annoying lumen came... and made this season simply terrible. dexter is not consistent anymore, he's now too trusty and he simply doesn't seem to be a psychopath anymore, the one we all know and love. he even prayed in one episode, what is that, dexter? are you crying now, too? besides, i hate this lumen character, as i mentioned before (and what stupid name indeed). i hope the show gets a satisfying season finale because until now everything is very predictable and boring (although i have to say i LOVE watching Jonny Lee Miller, he's awesome).
  • Good Episode but...

I liked this episode. Dexter's relationship with Lumen seems to be coming along and it looks like she will be his next partner. But how long will it last?

There are only two issues I had with this episode. First, when Cole busted in the hotel room to get Lumen, he clearly broke the door frame. How is it they were still able to kill, and cut him up into pieces in a hotel room with a door that couldn't possibly close? The second, Liddy was able to take pictures of Lumen and Dexter dumping bags off Dexter's boat. Sure he may have had a telephoto lens, but would not have been able to get such clear shots from a distance at night without a tripod. Also, Dexter is pretty smart. Do you really think he would dump his bodies so close to shore?
  • Take It!

Take It! This was a perfect episode of Dexter. In this episode we got to see a wide spectrum of emotion and relationships between different characters. I really enjoyed this episode because it had suspense, thrills, and chills. I really liked how Lumen connected with Dexter, and how he really let go and connected with her by revealing his true self to her. I also thought it was interesting what happened to Deb, both how and why. I think the events of this episode will play major roles in the seasons ending. I was surprised by the ending and can't wait to see what happens next with all of the things that are happening to the characters!!!!!
  • Nothing happens.

Unfortunately, Julia Stiles' character continues to be as boring as ever, and the series continues to plod along. Like every other episode this season, Dexter reveals to someone how his wife was murdered and he found his son sitting in the blood. We know. La Guerta and Deborah are mad at each other. UH OH!!!!!!

**Spoiler in this paragraph**

This whole season has sucked, but I officially checked out when the "Who was the guy who said 'tick tick'?" mystery was solved by, you know...a guy walking up to Dexter and saying, "Tick tick."

This show now blows.
  • He's back everybody - the emotionless serial killer killing machine makes his return and reassures us that Dexter belongs in the TV hall of fame as one of the greatest shows ever.

I have to admit that this season has had me a little worried over the Dexter we all know and love. The first four seasons were almost without flaw but this season has seen one too many emotional moments from our favorite serial killer. But this episode... he's back!

In this episode Dexter and Lumen continue their hunt of the men who abused her. As we have come to expect when Dexter is on the hunt with a partner things never quite go how they were supposed to but for the first time this season Dexter really rises to the occasion. It seems that we have finally found someone in Lumen who can really appreciate Dexter for who he is. I am cautious to get my hopes up about this though for it has never worked out well for him in the past. I can only hope that this does work out well though as Dexter and Lumen (brilliantly played by Julia Styles) have excellent chemistry on screen. The homicide squad at Miami Metro is finally starting to grip me again. Their story has been a little stale and reminiscent of early series this year but now it seems as though civil war might break out. Laguerta has thrown Debra to the wolves to save her own hide and it has divided up the department, including it seems Angel and Laguerta. I have to say that this is the best news of the entire episode as I have never bought Angel and Laguerta as a married couple and I hope this sees the end of them. Laguerta in my opinion has never been a strong character and I often wish they had done with her what happened in the book... kill her off at the end of the first season. Finally the cliff hanger ending really made the episode. Has someone finally stumbled across Dexter's secret who is in a position to cause some real trouble? The blackmailing detective hired by Quinn has done a brilliant job on these last few episodes to boost the tension and once again I find myself dying to see next weeks episode. Let me sum up by saying, Welcome back to brilliance Dexter, you've been sorely missed.
  • Take it! Meet J. Chase, kill someone, watch the happenings at the station, get over some issues.

I'm not sure why this episode has received lower reviews, because it was one of my favorites for the season! The character drama is all there, questions are answered, and of course new mysteries crop up. This season is not so much about the events swirling around these people, but is a study on how the events change the characters' views and ethics. Spoilers coming...

First of all, we get a good look at Jordan Chase. His philosophy is not far off from Dexter's, but the morals behind the actions are what sets them apart. He looks to be a formidable opponent for Dear Dexter. The Santa Muerte story does come up once again, but it too divides characters. Deb loses faith in the legal system as she gets caught up in its flaws. Perfect match for Quinn, who has no problem skirting the system when it denies him. After Deb has shot a murderer (Fuentes), she finds it hard to feel any remorse and again questions her previous beliefs of what is right and wrong.

We are reminded that Dexter is still dealing with a recent loss, and watch as he relives the events and work out how they fit into his life. He finds that he wasn't broken by it, because he was shattered so long ago. His comfort with Lumen is growing. He can pick up on her moods, he confides in her, and when confronted with her possibly leaving, he wants only what is best for her regardless of how it leaves him. And then there is Lumen. She has come a long way from the broken girl who Dexter saved. Her past life follows her to Miami with the appearance of her ex-fiance, who wants to whisk her off around the world. But her connection with Dexter and their mission has changed her so profoundly that she can't possibly turn on them. Watching the scene where she rocks on the floor while listening to screaming in her own head made me tear up, but Dexter's reaction to help her shut them out was superb. He has continually given her everything she needs to cope, without even realizing it, throughout the season. Their relationship has become one of mutual understanding and respect, and when he shows her exactly what it is that he does, she relates on a level that can only come out of something terrible. She can see him. Both are redefining what it means to be human and justified. Of course, excellent acting makes the show, and I really can't wait to see how this one will end.
  • 5x08

for me, this episode worked, it was very interesting to see all the stumbles dexter had before killing Cole, the thing I really HATE about this episode was the last scene where dexter discovered that jordan chase was one of the men who tortoured lumen only because he said "tick tick tick" as lumen heard, this was so ridiculous to discover a murder only by that, maybe that stupid final scene is the reason why I´m not giving a ten to this episode, but in general it was very good for me.

P.D: I´m from venezuela, I´m not an expert writing in English, please forgive my mistakes
  • take it!

I do not want to say Dexter is back, but this was a fine episode of television. It featured all the drama, all the killing, all the "how is he going to get out of this" situations, and of course all of the wildly inappropriate dialogue of Debra Morgan. I still feel that we are being cheated by seeing a killer for one or two episodes before he is dead, instead of getting a season-long chase, but the show seems to have finally found its groove and I wish that there was some way Lumen could stick around for the duration of the show, even though I know that will not happen.

Great episode here.
  • Dexter and Lumen try to take down Cole and Leddy gets closer to learning about Dexter

And just like that, Season 5 of Dexter has begun to live up to its potential. Not that the season hasn't been great up until now, but the show has reached that point where things are starting to spiral out of control for everybody and its only a matter of time before they all collide with one another.

Dexter and Lumen are still going after Cole, intent on killing him during one of Jordan Chase's seminars. Dexter, in the same way he did for Arthur Mitchell, is stalking Jordan and Cole to learn more about them and to figure out their lives. There's no way that Jordan Chase, Cole or anybody for that matter is as interesting as Arthur Mitchell, but I'm glad that the show is starting to focus on him a little more. He's a charismatic individual who seems to be able to get into people's heads easily and he should be a formidable enemy.

But the focus isn't on Jordan chase; it's Cole that Dexter wants. Him and Lumen get a hotel room next to his at the hotel he's staying at. The tension increases as Jordan calls Dexter in front of an entire audience to explain his thoughts after he found Rita dead... meanwhile, Cole spots Lumen in the crowd and chases her throughout the hotel, nearly killing her before Dexter barely saves her life and ties him up to his table. This sequence is as good as any in previous episodes and was unbelievably tense.

Meanwhile, outside of the Dexter/Lumen plot, we see Stan Leddy getting closer and closer to figuring out what Dexter does. While he's certainly no Doakes, he's a greedy old man who sees bagging Dexter as a killer or a criminal as his way back into the department, even after Quinn says he doesn't want him to keep investigating.

There's also a plot involving Deb being suspended by LaGuerta for the shooting in the club.. LaGuerta is clearly to blame for everything that happened, but the fact that LaGuerta is being cowardly and covering herself instead of Deb is awful. I was glad to see Batista standing up for Deb and for a plot that has taken up so much time and done so little for the season, I'm actually interested in it only because of the implications it has for Deb.. everybody else, I could care less about.

But this was a great episode nonetheless. When Dexter finally does kill Cole with Lumen by his side, she seems shocked for just a moment, and he slowly begins to tell her how his mother was killed in front of him and that this is who he is. It seems as if she's read to accept him for who he is, but who knows.. things could change. It seems like things might be better for Dexter now, but only time will tell. And I have to say, I'm curious as to why Harry hasn't showed up in three episodes. It's one thing if it's one or two episodes, but we're up to three now.. that's gotta be significant.
  • Can and will Lumen be the soul mate that Dexter's been craving for? ... ...

I must admit that I'm not that on board with the Dexter-Lumen story line from the beginning, but this episode's changed my mind.
    After all that he's been through, Dexter deserves a soul mate that truly understands him and like he said himself : it's good to have a partner. It is exhausting for him to lead two different lives and assume several roles in the same time. Imagine how relaxing it'll be when he could come home to a woman that knows everything and accepts all!
    But will she be the woman? I don't know ... ... ... ... ...
  • Take it, Dexter!: Season Five's First Masterpiece

Things heat up this week as Dexter attends a self help seminar run by Jordan Chase in order to kill Cole. Lumen gets contact from her ex fiancée who happens to be in Miami and wants to leave the country with her. Meanwhile, fallout from the Club Mayan shootout has Deb put out to dry but she was put there by someone. Batista decides to back her story up because he cares in a heartfelt moment that we don't much see between them. Laguerta proves to be a total pig whenever someone needs to burn however and Lumen and Dexter share his secret and the kill of Cole while Liddy gets closer to discovering Dexter's secrets but Quinn may not be too interested in that any more. Overall a fantastic episode even though it pains me to see Chris Vance depart after only two episodes he did well, only now we have to wait and see who ends up on the table next time.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Charismatic women, award winning acting, fascinating "Debxter", inspiring Lumen & Dex, smart dialogs, beautiful monsters, expressive direction

Dexter is a pantheon to itself. The Mount Olympus of all TV shows. Climbing it has always been a challenge for the mind. Indeed you can't switch off your brain to access its realm, beyond good and evil. When I thought the dream team behind the show could never outclass masterpieces like Lost Boys, they did it again. Take It! was so overwhelming that it could have been a finale. I still can't believe how smart and well executed it was. One week to dream about it, one week to remind its numerous bright ideas.

The first thing I enjoyed about this eight installment was the respectful and accurate representation of women's power in our society. Actresses like Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver have already portrayed charismatic female characters in films and now I'm convinced that Julia Stiles and Jennifer Carpenter play in the same league as these almighty ladies, even if Lumen and Deb are not as physically strong as Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley. We had already waited long enough after the writers for them to finally give Carpenter the part her divine talent deserved. From her acting to the dual dialogs I've never been so fascinated by Deb's fate. Lost Boys nearly pictured her and Dex as twins and their relationship developed in the most empathic and ambivalent way. Their conversation in the kitchen was pivotal and should give you a few tips about what the upcoming seasons should be about. Se7en ? That would be the perfect number ! Their wicked connection actually reminded me of Jack Shephard and John Locke. What are the differences between them ? Are serial killers and cops similar in a twisted way ?

Moreover Jordan Chase and his partner in security blurred the lines even more. They always find a room for the guests to shine like John Lithgow did in season 4. Wouldn't it be great if they pulled an American Psycho from their magic hat ? I don't expect them to top Christian Bale's psycho character but I'm now convinced that they have a tremendous potential. In fact it's inevitable considering how useful they were to better comprehend her beloved monster ! The beginning should also move you because even if gorgeous Jessica Camacho was only featured as Yasmin for two episodes witnessing her floral life so brutally shattered was heartbreaking. Of course it was anecdotic compared to Christine Hill devastating act in season 4 but still the impact it had on the characters was undeniable. Even the "BastiGuerta" incident is over now and what used to be a sarcastic pun has now revealed its meaning and made the season even more rewatchable.

If you add the close-ups that felt like televisual paintings, specially the interactive one between Lumen & Dex, the intriguing cliffhanger and inspiring references to cult episodes like The Getaway well missing Dexter would be almost like not living. To sum things up I can't help wondering how they have accomplished such an extraordinary job. Instead of caging the creativity and skills of their team mates it seems the little big heads behind Dexter have chosen to let them express their mind blowing talent. Get it ? Watch it !
SHOXW