Dexter

The Angel of Death

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 30, 2011 on Showtime

7.9
  • Predictable and careless writing, anecdotic angel, sloppy editing, Baby Must Die but inspiring friendship, thoughtful duality, pivotal encounter, promising brunette fetishism (Spoilers)

If only season 5 had been the last ! Dex and Lumen could have lived happily ever after and in my opinion it would have made sense even if optimism isn't what defines the show the most. My complain is about the relative predictability and lack of attention to details. After all these years how is it possible not to be picky ? Our favorite serial killer should know better than cutting a papersheet in a book Travis probably knows from beginning to end. Moreover bringing it to his lab in order to match it with the numbers was silly. Considering the episode title I was also expecting some references to comics but beside a split second shot featuring angel wings behind Dex its spirit was nothing like The Dark Defender from season 2. An other issue was how Brother Sam's shooting was rushed when it could have happened right after his bro session with Dex. In general the editing isn't continuous enough. One minute you wonder what Deb and the new detective are doing at the beach house and the next our favorite worshiper prays in a pool of blood. Last but not least most scenes featuring Harrison are enduring and reminiscent of what we had to digest during True Blood's season 4. The only enlightenment concerned the baby stumbling upon Deb's crime photos because it was an obvious reference to Dex's own childhood and of course their birth in blood.

But Dexter is far from jumping the shark because its controversial monster has still plenty to offer. First his friendship with Brother Sam quickly grew on us thanks to some crafty character development. Second their discussion reminded me of season 3 as Miguel was Dex's first true best friend. The dual theme of light and darkness is also thoughtful because it binds the story to his Dark Passenger and of course Lumen. An other great thing about this season is Travis because I'm now convinced they were right to cast Colin Hanks. For the moment his role isn't really special but it's easy to relate to his character as we all need to believe in something. It seems Gellar gives sense to his life and until he met Dex he was apparently convinced to work for the greater good. However I'm not satisfied with the fact that his sister has vanished into thin air. Still the introduction of Clarissa Porter (Mariana Klaveno) helped me forget about her because when Batista came for Quinn I really thought she was working for Gellar ! That part was really well staged and quite intense on my side. Will Klaveno be the Courtney Ford of season 666 ? I doubt she's as disturbed as Christine Hill was but she's definitely an interesting addition to the cast. However all these brunettes make things a little too predictable because it's obvious Deb will be involved. Also the fact that Quinn is still enslaved by his libido wasn't entertaining and like Batista we all already know that it will inevitably backfire. To sum things up these impressions of déjà vu and the cons listed prove that the show isn't as fascinating as it used to be. It's still good but when it comes to Dexter I expect to be challenged and shattered !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.

"The Angel of Death" very well could have been an episode of CSI with how much time was devoted to two cops, Batista and Quinn, following leads about a case, but that does not mean it was a bad episode of television. It was another solid Dexter and while this season has been a little shaky more often than not, the dialogue on this show is always so sharp that even a bit of a filler installment still thoroughly entertained me.

• The Angel of Death

The Angel of Death was a superb and very entertaining episode of Dexter and I really enjoyed watching as Dexter and Brother Sam became more acquainted and had a touching moment. Deb continues to be stressed out and discovers a new place might help, which was a good idea but her location choice was kind of disturbing on some level. Dexter was awesome in this episode and I wonder if the newhomicide detective will catch on to him at some point as there was some minor groundwork to that possibility. The story was well written and the scenes of and about Gellar were awesome. Dexter catches his prey only to let him loose which I thought was risky, but I look forward to seeing how things play out in the next episode!!!!!!!

• Dexter figures out who Travis Marshall is.

I'm not really sure what to think of the final five minutes or so of this week's Dexter. Usually, it takes awhile for Dexter to confront or even discover the bad guy of the season. Season 4 was an exception in a way, except for most of the season, until the last few episodes, Arthur Mitchell has no clue that Dexter is a serial killer. Same goes for Jordan Chase last season. Dexter confronts him sort of early on, but Jordan doesn't know about Dexter until the end.

Right now, the show is doing something risky by having Dexter directly addressing and attacking Travis Marshall. Travis is clearly a bad guy, and while it's not clear whether or not Geller is a real person or a figment of Travis' imagination yet, Dexter did an incredibly stupid thing by allowing Travis to get away.

As I said before, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It feels like a really dumb move on Dexter's part, but I'm sure the writers will figure out a way, contrived or not, to get him out of the situation and give him the upper hand.

More intriguing is the shooting of Brother Sam. Once again, Mos Def did a great job as Sam tonight, and Michael C. Hall was given a chance to give his own little monologue to Sam, this time discussing what he remembers about his mother. There's not too much that Michael C. Hall can lend to the character of Dexter now that we know so much about him, but this was a great scene between the two. Sam getting shot leaves Dexter wide open to get some revenge. I doubt they would kill off Mos Def so early, so it should be fun to see what happens with that.

As for Travis and Geller's plot, it's still not 100% clear what's going on. We're getting closer and closer to discovering it (looks like it's going to be some sort of religious thing involving the Apocalypse), but right now, we're getting the typical "Batista goes out and looks for clues and finds a couple of things that will lead nowhere for awhile." This time, Quinn comes along and together, they visit an old student of Geller's who used to live with him. Quinn decides he wants to sleep with her, and as a result, him and Batista discover that Geller has been planning these attacks for years. It's a horribly stupid way for the writers to unveil to us new information, but whatever, I'll roll with it.

I'm still enjoying Deb's new role as lieutenant, mostly because it makes her more of a character than any of the other supporting actors. I didn't care much about her argument with the babysitter, mostly because I don't think the babysitter has the right to get all irritated, but once again, it's something I'm willing to deal with mostly because it's not all that important.

Also, somebody has to do something about Masuka. C.S Lee is a good actor and I like his character in small doses, but man... giving his character substantial amounts of scenes that take away from Michael C. Hall's is a mistake, regardless of how much of a fan favorite he is.

I don't know... the episode was good, but I'm not really sure what to think about the direction the season will end up at. That's a good thing and a bad thing. Good because it creates more of a mystery and bad because the journey to get to the end will be that much more confusing.

• Finding the Whore (Spoilers Ahead)

Dexter, after having seen Travis as he believes him to be Gellar's accomplice, finds evidence on the Angel of Death's wings that leads him back to a document restoration place at a museum where he discovers Travis works. One thing I don't understand is the time jump from last week where Dex saw Travis staring all open eyed at the locusts why didn't Dex simply follow and go after him then if he thought something was up, it's never stopped him before, he just decided to let Travis walk away and thought "eh. I guess I'll find him later,?" Gellar and Travis begin their next project of trying to find their next victim; the Whore of Babylon. While on a nightly excursion they happen upon a newspaper labeling Gellar the Doomsday Killer and so he decides to leave Travis to his own devices for the evening lest someone should recognize him. Travis tries to capture a drunken party girl but some dudes stop him. Apparently Travis has no experience with this at all because he didn't even try to knock her out he just kind of clumsily engulfed her and she screamed, how discreet of you Travis. Deb tries to find Quinn's engagement ring to give it back to him to return. Brother Sam comes to visit Dexter and Harrison to which he gives Harrison a new plush toy and informs Dexter that for all the darkness that he has after he tells him about his mother's death in front of him, that it only takes a little light to balance it out and that Harrison is Dexter's light in his life. Travis and Gellar, after Travis's mistake wait in a car and Gellar makes Travis run over a guy, walking beside a girl, by pushing his gas foot to the floor and then making him grab the girl and putting her in the trunk. Batista and Quinn visit Gellar's old assistant and Quinn ends up sleeping with her and Angel finds Gellar's old drawings that depict the Doomsday killings exactly. Anderson is in awe when Dexter solves a murder/suicide case in less than 20 seconds and asks how he fits in with such an inefficient police force like Miami Metro, also he's married, ok. Masuka gets a new intern who is fancy with computers and deletes the ITK arm sale from the internet completely so as to cover the tracks of Masuka's indiscretion. Still curious as to whether Gellar's real or not? So are we, especially since Travis says that he didn't kill those people and Dexter just lets him go. Assuming that he wanted to be led to Gellar by Travis in the first place, why not grab him next episode after he was done finding Gellar too. It's not like Dexter to make mistakes like this, in the middle of grabbing a killer that just says "hey the other guy did it" and then just saying "ok, I guess you can go now." It was a total let down, though I was kind of hoping that Dex would have Travis lead him to Gellar with the wire around his neck. So a little bit of a fumble here, but an otherwise great development episode that solidified the message of the season and saw Brother Sam get shot, which will surely occupy Dexter next episode while Travis and Gellar begin to work on the Whore.

• Dexter decides who the "Doomsday Killer" is: will he will make haste in putting him on his table?

Episode five of season six opens with Dexter leveraging a clue he finds on a repair to one of the angel wings attached to last episodes victim. "This is no amateur", Dexter says. A group PD meeting reveals the victim worked at the Miami Cultural Center and had sex prior to being killed. These are big time clues, but still the department as a whole doesn't have Travis on their radar. TBatista and Quinn are told to go to the University of Tallahassee and get something solid to help locate Gellar as he is the decided murderer. As telegraphed, things are definitely ramping up. Sam comes by the department due to a drive by shooting at his business afterhours to which the PD did not respond likely since it was afterhours and no one was injured. Sam takes the opportunity to push Dexter into letting him come by the same evening to see Harrison and talk. Dexter reveals the source of his darkness being the overriding reason he is now a blood splatter specialist. Sam seems to be using a low-key methodology to, hopefully, bring Dexter around to the light he senses Dexter is missing.

Dexter works a new double homicide that in short order he, seemingly, solves as a murder/suicide. Gellar works Travis further to actually make him more dependent on Gellar himself as Travis fails on a solo mission to extract the next victim. Travis is now square in Dexter's sights. Dexter enters Travis' apartment when Travis leaves finding clues, the most important of which is a bible that the numbers found on the victims has been cut out from. Dexter has a degree of certainty that Travis is the murderer working with Gellar who was, apparently, his professor in college. Batista and Quinn find professor Porter, an attractive young brunette, who was Gellar'steacher's assistant. She states her belief that Gellar isn't the killer as she knew him well due to a brief period where she lived with him. A bit of social tomfoolery after hours in a bar turn into Quinn's one night stand with professor Porter. Batista retrieves Quinn the next morning finding a book apparently penned by Gellar in Porter's apartment. The book depicts the murders already committed, as well as those to come, in graphic art. Quinns poor judgement suddenly looks like a huge break. Quinn isn't a very endearing character, but he's a good spoiler as he brings lots of potential bombshells to light...only to have most of them eventually backfire. It's almost a certainty his unprofessional romp in the hay will do the same, but the good part is we don't know when that will happen.

Gellar extends his control over Travis, using his previous failure, by hand feeding him their next victim: a girl who Gellar has decided is no more than a whore with scant reasons other than he is Gellar and he is doing God's work. Travis always seems conflicted, yet more scared if he fails Gellar who he believes hears the voice of God. This is important in building exactly who Travis really is. In the meantime, Dexter is ready to put Travis on his table and ambushes him as he leaves work. In a rare instance where Dexter doesn't immediately incapcitate his victim he questions Travis and realizes Gellar is actually committing the murders using Travis as a lackey. Dexter warns Travis that he is following a false prophet and he will, for now, spare him. Wow, this just doesn't happen: Dexter letting a victim who has seen him go. Things are bound to get complicated and we see Dexter is very much being true to the "Code of Harry" as to how he allows his dark passenger to dictate retribution. Dexter is definitely still in control, but he is struggling a bit with his reasoning as well as his conflict with the thought of believing in something greater than himself. Now, Dexter is certain Gellar is the one who must be on his table and this is his mission. The one on one battle between two dark forces has now began. Travis is questioned by Gellar as to what he isn't telling...Gellar senses Dexter's intrusion and he tells Travis to remember the story of Jonah from the Bible. Dexter says he does believe in the constant worldly struggle of light and dark (is he the light in this particular struggle?). In the world we live in, Dexter states, darkness usually wins. In the next scene Sam is shot multiple times as he opens his business. The viewer senses Dexter is about to explode with vengence trying to balance the scales. As usual, the viewer has little choice but to wait until next week's episode to see how all of this volatility plays out further, and to see if Sam is murdered or survives. An excellent episode that provides lots of petrol to fuel an inevitable explosion. This show doesn't let up and we, the viewers, are assuredly "hooked"!

• I really loved this episode. In fact Dexter is coming back to its original rails (last season was not so great, although good enough in my POV). Following are my personal assumptions and have nothing to do with what have been shown so far:

I think Gellar is already dead and he is the result of Travis's sick mind.

Travis, as Gellar's student, became a fan of the professor/writer and, additionally, the "source of inspiration" to his sick ideas.

Very probably, after having haressed Gellar as an unconditional fan he is, Travis shared his thoughts with the teacher who, obviously would not sponsor his ideas.

He was then, mostly obliged to get rid of Gellar. However, he could not accept to be apart from the one who was his sole inspiration. So, today he's guided by visions of the chosen one (Gellar's phantom, the one who talks with God).

On top of all that, Travis (by using the image of the professor)feels redeemed by his sins and reduces his own culpability level/participation in the murders (he's a believer after all).

He's somewhat like Dex (himself with his inexistent father figure is always validating his misguided actions and choices). Dex builds a "mature" and "reasonable" argument explaining why he needs to get rid of serial/sick killers.

Travis do the same (with his invisible gourou). He must get rid of sinners, thus must prepare the world to the coming apocalypse. He's a minor servant for making good to humanity.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing how Dex will deal w/ this killer. I mean if above exposition is "confirmed", Travis is the only Doomsday killer to be blamed and NOT a simple puppet.

Dexter will be obliged to kill a character who's a bit like himself (guilty but "not guilty?").

About the story itself, hope that Brother Sam survives and that Quinn be less idiot and more professional.