Dexter

The Big One

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 12, 2010 on Showtime

• And that's a wrap on another great year!

Well it is not the episode I was expecting this week but I can't say that I am disappointed. Most of the story lines, with the exception of the Santa Muerte killings, came full circle and we were left with a nice open ending that will lead on into Season 6.

I have to say I am a little surprised that they didn't take this opportunity to out Dexter to Deborah but to be totally honest what happened felt natural. There is nothing worse than a show running with people skirting around a secret like Deb has for so long if it is only in order to keep the tension high. But what happened in this episode felt totally natural and was perfectly in keeping with the direction of the show and so I am happy to let it slip another year.

I often wonder at the end of a season of Dexter what could possibly happen in the next season that would not only be different than what has been done before but could actually top previous seasons, but this year I find myself with too many ideas as to what comes next.

This season seems to have been all about moving the Dexter character forward from the emotionless killing machine he was into a man who recognizes and accepts that he does indeed have emotions but that they aren't all bad. I wonder if these new found emotions will push him further to kill for justice rather than need... time will tell. It was an interesting ending this season with the relationship between Dexter and Quinn. It seems an uneasy truce has been reached but how long can that last now that Quinn has never been more certain that Dexter is a killer?

To sum up, a fitting end to another great season. It's a sad goodbye to Julia Styles and an eager wait for next September and what new wonders this show can bring.