Dexter

The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• The writers aren't Mensa members for sure as they experience brain-lock. The last few episodes were a bit unimaginitive and predictable.

In my opinion, it was much too simple for Doakes to die at the hands of Lila. Wouldn't it have been great, if only for a moment to see Doakes, Lila and Dex together inside that cabin? That would have constructed one of the most engaging and intriguing hearts-to-hearts in television history. Maybe the writers went on strike inside their own minds. Erik King will be a huge loss to the series. I'm thinking that LaGuerta may continue where Doakes left off - consumed with suspicion, instinctively following the evidence, and tracking down the real Butcher. Though LaGuerta was a huge supporter of Dex, the evidence points to him, and no one is more surprised than she. A great scene it was with the kids walking in, as Dexter was relaxed and enjoying his freedom in bed with Rita. Additionally, the post card from Miami with Doakes face glaring at Lila's was priceless. The writing this season paled in comparison to the last; however, the ensemble cast was just as brilliant or greater.
  • Rushed. (Spoilers)

This could have been a great episode, it was a good episode, but it could have been great. Several things were... off in my opinion.
    1. Doakes was a good cop, but his fate was sad in this episode. The result with his character was inevitable, but Lila being the one causing his demise so we wouldn't hate Dexter was far-fetched, smart, but still far-fetched.

2. The finding of Doakes, no one bothers to think that Doakes might have been set up. He was found in a remote place... well.. what was left of him. What was he doing there? No one thinks, even though Lundy suggests the evidence was compelling not even he was convinced of the fact that Doakes was a killer.

3. Lila blackmailing Dexter and then falling for Dexter's trick that he wants her. How stupid was she? Even though she was obsessed, she would've seen through his false motives. Why believe in a serial killer? Odd.

4. Her demise. How was he able to locate her in Paris? 5. Why are the kids running around happy at the end? Why aren't they traumatized? And why isn't Rita reacting in any way other than calling Debra? Her kids were kidnapped, why not hit the panic button?? And Deb goes running to save her brother, which is great, Deb is cooler than ever before, but I am hoping she called Lundy! She was leaving to get herself a life and stop living in the shadow of her brother, but no, he dragged her back...

6. LaGuerta has evidence, Lundy becomes a follower of this scent, yet it just dies instantly when the dental confirmation is in. Lame. This does give me hope that Lundy will return because he had a hunch that Doakes couldn't have been the BHB at the end, things just didn't add up for him.

7. And then there's the whole Debra and Lundy relationship. Yes, I have been a shipper through out the season hoping that this would continue into season 3. Would have been great to see if Lundy ever found out, but no. The writers decided his time is done here so far, let's send him to Oregon, oh, and let's pretend he doesn't care about Debra and doesn't want her with him because we have turned him into a total wimp these past 2 episodes. Yes let's get rid of a decent actor. Even though their relationship was to end (and it hasn't because she was supposed to meet him and she was forced to be elsewhere... Why the writers never gave Lundy a proper send off, maybe waiting at the airport... beyond me) it would have been fun to see Lundy interacting at a different level with Dexter. I've always felt though out the season that he in some way suspected Dexter, quite obvious when he questioned Dexter about the BHB in the traincar in episode 6, it was interesting and fun and I was hoping there would have been more exploration, but the finale was just over-rushed.

8. Why Paris? Why not Brazil or Mexico? They're closer!

I totally loved Deb in this though. In fact, she is the hero this season, not Dexter. Dexter was whipped by Lila and even though we got to explore what really goes on inside him, Debra was the one that really changed. Ever since her relationship with Lundy started and even before, she was starting to grow up and be mature about things. I want the slick, know-it-all, glory hound super rockstar special agent Lundy back. I hope he does make an appearance. I felt there was so much to this character that it's a shame to let him go.
  • Much to like in it but still.....

Well finally the grand finale of the second season of Dexter. While it was good with some great moments, it did IMO have the "could have been better" feeling on it. There was much build up for the Dexter-Doakes storyline, specially in the recent episodes. Well the way this story arc was patched up will go down as a slight letdown as far as i am concerned. Not because Doakes is dead but mainly because he died pretty quickly in the episode. After much build up, I expected much more elaboration and more Dexter-Doakes interactions. Sad to see Doakes gone now but I guess there was no other way, it was either him or Dex.
    The rest of the episode was focused on the closure of the Dex-Lila story. Well nothing shocking really but it was highly entertaining. Lila is killed of by Dex who now goes back to his former "hobbies" and back with Rita...a good conclusion.
    Lundy`s character also gets closure, so does his relationship with Deb. The actor is amazing and the character was captivating but he had done his part. He was a nice addition this season but his storyline is over.

Overall, the finale was good but not great, mainly because of how quickly Doakes` story was resolved.

The Season 2 of Dexter will go down as a highly entertaining one. Great stories and actors...damn great TV!"Morning comes" IMO was the best of the season and definitely one of the best episode on this show. Excellent season and I hope they keep it up for the next Season as the adventures of our favorite serial killer continues!
  • Their fate is sealed.

Dexter's season comes to an end. AT this point we had good ideas as to how the season would end, it was how they would get there that was still up in the air.

I like the way Doakes fate was sealed by Lila. A tragic fiery conclusion to a good nemesis. Funny how Dexfinds the GPS amongst the evidence collected from the scene and realizes that uh-oh, it was Lila that did him in. Suspense reigned while he finds that Lila has Rita's kids and he must save the day there. After he does this and the APB is put out for Rita, sheescapes to Paris. This was the only disappointing piece for me. Dex of course follows and rather quickly with minimal suspense, dispenses with her. I guess it would have been tough to draw this out.

Other ends are tied up, Deb has to choose between G-man and Rita's kids and decides to help find Rita's kids. That storyline seems to come to a close as well as Batista's problems with Lila.

Very cut and dried at the end. Bring on next season and let's see who Dexter's next victim is.
  • I thought it was great.

I was glad it didn't have any cliffhangers. It'll be interesting to see how season 3 pans out because it seems that Dexter will have to change his MO entirely. If one dead felon turns up, MPD will realize that Dokes was not the BHB. I wish he could Rita, then Deb. What I think is funny is that I hate several of the characters on the show, the acting from several of characters is pretty weak, yet I love the show. It's probably my favorite....well, The Wire is probably my favorite, but Dexter get points simply because of the subject matter.
  • A fitting conclusion.

I had no idea how they would tie story lines up in a way that honored everything they set forth, but somehow the writers pulled it off. I'm sad to see Doakes go, but I get it. What were the options -- he and Dexter become friends? Doakes looks the other way and lets Dexter keep killing? I credit the writers with taking a one-note character in the form of Doakes and giving him texture and depth and emotion this season. And Lila -- she's no Rudy, but she served a great purpose this season. Took Dexter on a hell of a ride. Also very happy to see Rita back with Dexter. I just hope, as I've heard, that the show doesn't become victim-of-the-week next season. What kept me and everyone I know hooked is the incredible continuing story lines. Like reading a fine novel. Bravo.
  • Things in the second season of Dexter come to a final, bloody close.

Weel, it all over. The second season of the best show on television is complete. The finale was a bit overblown and overhyped, but it was not bad. I have to say I had a feeling Doakes was going to die but I had no idea of how exactly that would come to pass. Lila killing Doakes to try to bring hersel closer to Dexter makes total sense--if you think from her twisted, insane perspective. I knew a long time ago that she would end up dead...but that didn't make me hate her any less as a character, and it didn't make me unhappy when it actually happened. I was glad to see her go. From a writer's point of view it is a shame to lose a character with such potential. But the writers wanted to start season three with a clean slate, and so, Lila had to Go. I thin that if may have made sense for her to be a part of season three. She might have moved to a different city and started her own serial killing spree. Of course tihout Dexter's code, she would have been just another sick freak. Eventually he might have had to track her down. I could have seen Dexter taking Rita and the kids on a vacation to wherever it was that Lila "set up shop" and at night, sneaking out to kill her. But then again, I'm not a Hollywood writer...but with the strike going on, who says I couldn't be. Ha ha! Anyway, I'm rambling. I assure you this episode was very good and if you didn't see it or you've just stumbled across this review and have no idea what Dexter is or you've never seen it...buy the DVDs, because you will love it!
  • yugifasho wrote a review that says everything I wanted to say about this episode.

The season 1 ender had a huge twist and shocker that I found incredible. Never did I suspect that Rudy was actually Dexter's brother Brian. While Season 2 didn't have an ending that was quite that explosive, it was still nonetheless suspenseful and action packed.

Doakes was not necessarily a bad guy, just a tad obsessive and maybe in need of anger management. He was a very good cop and character. It was a shame to see him go, but really, it was either him or Dexter. Even if Dexter decided to continue with the plan to frame him, Doakes would never stop telling people it was Dexter, and then the FBI would have to look at Dexter more closely. No, Doakes dying was the only way that could have ended. I liked Lila as a protagonist in this season, but I still hated to see Dexter pull away from Rita and the Kids. Seeing him get back with them at the end was a big plus for me.

Dexter went through a roller coaster this season. From recovering from the trauma of killing his only brother, who understood him. To not being able to continue killing because of Doakes. To finally getting a chance and finding himself unable to actually do it anymore. To going into rehab and meeting other 'addicts'. To facing his mothers killer and sleeping with Lila and losing Rita. To almost losing everything when Doakes broke into his place and almost turning himself in. To deciding that the people around him need him too much to give himself up.

It was a wild roller coaster. But I loved every step of it.

I will be itching to see Season 3
  • Dexter's season 2 finale, "The British Invasion" wasn't as shocking or maybe even as exciting as season 1's brilliant finale - it was still a very solid finale.

As most of us predicted last week, Lila decided to kill Doakes. And poor Doakes sure went out with a bang; muttering in slow motion "motha f*kka" - just brilliant. It's really unfortunate to see Doakes now gone from the show, as his character was both exciting and empathetic. The Dexter/Doakes scenes stole the show for season 2, and to have that end is just criminal.

I think the most annoying part of Doakes' death is the FBI's apathy on finding out what really happened. I guess seeing that there was a dead chopped body, butcher weapons, and Doakes' charred corpse was enough evidence to wrap it all up - even going so far to ignore the evidence that Lt. LaGuerta had been compiling. Evidence that Lundy felt was compelling enough to want to learn more of was all seemingly dropped. Even Masuda mentioning that the stove was turned on that caused the explosion from the gas leak didn't trigger any suspicions is just mind boggling. Is this really the end of the bay harbor butcher storyline? Or will Season 3 continue with LaGuerta making it her destiny to prove the innocence of Doakes?

The Lila/Dexter/Deb scene was definitely one of the best of this episode as Lila taking Dexter's "death bag" was brilliantly directed and filled with tension. And poor Lila, sitting in her jeep staring at the bag not wanting to know what's in it, only to discover what she feared – Dexter was indeed going to kill her. In her last ditch effort, she kidnapped Rita's kids and tried to kill them and Dexter by burning her apartment down one last time.

Seeing Dexter break through the fire with a blanket and a body-check into the wall was a tad silly in my opinion. I'd of much rather seen Deb save Dexter's life this time, which would be a cute moment considering Dexter saved Deb from Rudy last season.

And finally to the surprise of no one again, Dexter arrives in Europe and kills Lila. I felt some pity for Lila as she stared at Dexter before he killed her. A tear dripping from her face, she really did love Dexter but unfortunately for her did not know how to express it in a civil manner. I was almost a little disappointed there wasn't more to Lila other than just being psycho and a female British serial killer. Having Dexter end her life with a knife to the heart was a great ending to the show and to the Lila character. While I wasn't the biggest Lila hater like other people on tv.com, I will miss her ability to upset me and Dexter. Dexter's surprise attack on Lila at the end was a great moment for Dexter fans, but I think it was not as great as last season when Dexter ninja'd Rudy. His great pain of killing Rudy was a lot more tragic and real, whereas Lila's was pure vengeful and cold.

Dexter's season 2 finale wasn't as shocking or maybe even as exciting as season 1 brilliant finale - it was still a very solid finale. Where does Dexter go from here? Will he go back to being a serial killer with a different MO? Will LaGuerta attempt to uncover the truth? Will we learn more about the relationship between Dexter's mother and Harry? Is there an answer as to why the writers contradicted Dexter's first kill [The nurse that was trying to kill Harry, whom Harry asked him to kill] and the apparent kill that sent Harry over the edge?

It's almost saddening really to know that Doakes, Lila, and possibly Lundy are gone from the show forever. They were three really well written and acted characters that I will personally miss. Overall, this season was a solid one but you have to feel that the beginning 4 or so episodes are almost completely worthless as much of the story and character issues were either pointless or later forgotten or even completely ignored. Nevertheless, still a solid finale for a season that lucky to avoid the season 2 curse.

Season 2 final score: 8.8
  • Just amazing, as most of the episodes in this season !!!!!

Well, this episode was amazing, like the whole season.

The end was my favorite part because i couldnt believe that Dexter would let Lila just go missing like that and do nothing.

So when the episode was almost over, and the whole Doakes being the BHB was over, i was like "please kill lila, please", and then she showed up in Paris all normal, like nothing ever happened and i knew Dex was going to get her !!!!!

To me that was the best scene in this whole season.

I do think that the BHB case is not over, someone will find out something next season. Anyway, great season, waiting for the next one.
1 2 >