Dexter

The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

• I just watched this and I can't believe that such a good show was dragged through mud. Season 1 was some of the best television I've seen my entire life. Season 2 was even better... up to the finale. Now I don't think I'll watch anymore.

Dexter went from becoming a very sympathetic character to one you don't really care to relate to anymore. The season ends with him letting Doakes take the fall for his kills. Then Dexter flies to Paris to axe a woman who (granted though messed up in the head) the writers went to extremes to make worthy of murder. I think the problem with this whole season 2 mess began when Doakes found Dexter in the everglades dumping the body of his mom's killer. Season 2 would have been far better if either Doakes never gotten so close to Dexter's truth, (which led him to be held hostage, which led Lila to find him and kill him, which led Lila to be axed) or if Doakes had let Dexter off and moved on himself to a cushy six figure income. I would have even have been happy had the show come to an end where Dexter surrenders and accepts responsibility for what he did (not taking others down just because they saw how screwed up he really is). In summary, I found it harder and harder to watch the season from that point on and was hoping for some ultimate redemption at the end, where Doakes would keep Dexter's secret and Lila would become better and quietly move on with her life. Instead, Dexter crossed the line from being an avenger to being a self-serving opportunistic sociopath, (i.e. just another psycho killer). And psycho killers aren't interesting, they're just f'ed up. I hope the showtime writers bother to research these sites. If you do, you guys just messed up some of the best, most original TV I've ever seen. I'm not watching anymore, and I don't think many others will for much longer.
  • Dexter avoids all consequences when all his troubles just go away one way or another.

After watching this season finale, I went on-line to look for reviews. I was shocked to see that all of them, on this site and others, were all extremely positive.

I hated this finale. You might say it ruined the entire season for me.

The whole season we are led to believe something is going to change, Dexter's life will not be the same again. Sure, I never thought he would actually get caught and go to jail, but I was looking forward to the creative way the writers were going to resolve the many issues that came up during the run of the season. The way they wrapped things up was horrible, in my opinion. I was truly disappointed. Doakes knows about Dexter? Let's kill him. Lila knows? Kill her. Everything to make Dexter happy. No creativity, let's just finish off all obstacles in his way, and let the last episode of the season take us back to exactly where we were on the first episode of the season. It's like you can skip the whole season and have no problem going directly to season 3. What poor writing... Rita didn't even care her boyfriend's ex girlfriend kidnapped her children and tried to kill them. She dismisses it all with "Well, as long as we're all okay". Give me a break... Even people who did not "cheer" Dexter on during the run of the show, could certainly relate to him or understand where he's coming from. And we were all happy and content when he avoided the law. But now, after seeing he was willing to frame Doakes for his crimes, an innocent man, I can no longer connect with him... I don't like him anymore. I want him to get caught; I want him to go to jail forever. And by making me feel this way, the writers kinda ruined the show for me.

And to have the season end in such a stupid way, where everything just neatly works out for Dexter, without even a cliffhanger to suggest "oh, but wait, there is still danger lurking over him", where all who stood in Dexter's way, good guys or bad guys, are finished off, just makes me not want to even bother with season 3.

Too bad, I really liked the show...
  • The Brits aren't masterminds.

Okay, so, I just wanted to note a few things that I got P/O over regarding this character 'Lila'/other stuff:

1. When she discovers Dex is a serial killer, she appears impervious to the typical overwhelming and mind-numbing sensation which normally trumps all over feelings. Instead she starts rambling on about Dex's and her own feelings. I'm sorry but she's nothing more than some drama-queen/crack-whore -- I'm pretty sure serial killers are out of her league.

2. The Brits aren't masterminds -- they're always portrayed as some intelligent, harder-to-catch villains but I'm sick and tired of that idea which is complete BS. Am I to believe this drugged up girl keeps escaping Dex just because she's got some British accent (which by the way repulses me -- people say it's cute, but it's just goofy)?

3. If the limey over-stayed her visa she won't be able to leave without being arrested by immigration at the airport.

4. So, how DO YOU get rid of a body in Paris?

All in all, it was a disappointing episode.

For one, it's sad to see Doakes leave the show -- I can't say he was one of my favorite characters but he did up the interest by adding the risk factor.

Two, I didn't like the fact that after all the trouble Lila's been causing all she gets is quick stab and a respectful closing of the eyes.

Here's hoping for a better third season.
  • They all lived happily ever after!!???

5.1
    I have to agree with user Egale20... It was such a disappointing finale, i loved the 1st season finale it was one of the best i had ever seen, but this 2nd season finale was just awful. I didn't think it was good Doakes died, I mean it was cool Lila came to Dexter's rescue and all, it was a good twist, but did Doakes really have to die? could they not have just found one of his limbs or something and Doakes could be alive somewhere with temporary amnesia or something??? The fact that Dexter was prepared to kill Doakes, a good person at heart for knowing his secret just seems un-Dex like! and Lila the psycho... she accuses Angel of rape, those charges don't just drop because you're an illegal immigrant, she would have to drop the chargers, or they would have to have proof Lila is loony!! the police didn't know she was crazy... until she kidnaps the kids and tries to kill them... oh but wait their mother, Rita, isn't angry; she's just glad they are all o.k ... please!!! if it were me, i would be furious with Dexter, not only because he cheated on me and left me for someone else, but because he did it with a PSYCHO B**** who tried to kill my kids, even if we were back together I could not just dismiss that... The whole episode was just so disappointing. And Deb and her relationship... over, just like that... ridiculous. Any way what more can i say... a poor poor episode finale in my opinion.
  • Everything wrapped up, yes. Satisfying? No.

Honestly, after all the build up, I wanted a better conclusion. Dexter not getting caught and Lila and Doakes dying would've been fine if the road leading up to it wasn't so damn obvious.

And, come on. At the start of the episode ?!?! How more anticlimatic could it have been? The moment Lila found Doakes it was clear to me that what is going to happen. What a shame that the show dropped the ball in the final episode....

Even the scene at the aquarium, honestly, what was that? 5 minute dialouge with Lila and afterwards Dexter's like "Woo, I just tricked her! I bet you didn't see that coming"

Umm, yes we did! There are no consequences, no development whatsoever.In fact, this episode single handedly "reset" the show to it's season 1 episode 1 state. Maybe the storyline revolving around Dexter's victims came a few seasons too soon: It should've been in the final season with finally people finding about him...
  • Rushed. (Spoilers)

This could have been a great episode, it was a good episode, but it could have been great. Several things were... off in my opinion.
    1. Doakes was a good cop, but his fate was sad in this episode. The result with his character was inevitable, but Lila being the one causing his demise so we wouldn't hate Dexter was far-fetched, smart, but still far-fetched.

2. The finding of Doakes, no one bothers to think that Doakes might have been set up. He was found in a remote place... well.. what was left of him. What was he doing there? No one thinks, even though Lundy suggests the evidence was compelling not even he was convinced of the fact that Doakes was a killer.

3. Lila blackmailing Dexter and then falling for Dexter's trick that he wants her. How stupid was she? Even though she was obsessed, she would've seen through his false motives. Why believe in a serial killer? Odd.

4. Her demise. How was he able to locate her in Paris? 5. Why are the kids running around happy at the end? Why aren't they traumatized? And why isn't Rita reacting in any way other than calling Debra? Her kids were kidnapped, why not hit the panic button?? And Deb goes running to save her brother, which is great, Deb is cooler than ever before, but I am hoping she called Lundy! She was leaving to get herself a life and stop living in the shadow of her brother, but no, he dragged her back...

6. LaGuerta has evidence, Lundy becomes a follower of this scent, yet it just dies instantly when the dental confirmation is in. Lame. This does give me hope that Lundy will return because he had a hunch that Doakes couldn't have been the BHB at the end, things just didn't add up for him.

7. And then there's the whole Debra and Lundy relationship. Yes, I have been a shipper through out the season hoping that this would continue into season 3. Would have been great to see if Lundy ever found out, but no. The writers decided his time is done here so far, let's send him to Oregon, oh, and let's pretend he doesn't care about Debra and doesn't want her with him because we have turned him into a total wimp these past 2 episodes. Yes let's get rid of a decent actor. Even though their relationship was to end (and it hasn't because she was supposed to meet him and she was forced to be elsewhere... Why the writers never gave Lundy a proper send off, maybe waiting at the airport... beyond me) it would have been fun to see Lundy interacting at a different level with Dexter. I've always felt though out the season that he in some way suspected Dexter, quite obvious when he questioned Dexter about the BHB in the traincar in episode 6, it was interesting and fun and I was hoping there would have been more exploration, but the finale was just over-rushed.

8. Why Paris? Why not Brazil or Mexico? They're closer!

I totally loved Deb in this though. In fact, she is the hero this season, not Dexter. Dexter was whipped by Lila and even though we got to explore what really goes on inside him, Debra was the one that really changed. Ever since her relationship with Lundy started and even before, she was starting to grow up and be mature about things. I want the slick, know-it-all, glory hound super rockstar special agent Lundy back. I hope he does make an appearance. I felt there was so much to this character that it's a shame to let him go.
  • And then there were none. All issues resolved, if not always to our satisfaction.

So - Doakes is dead and it's the brit bit who dun it, this saving Dex from dirtying his hands. Angel is saved, the girlfriend accepts Dex back, the case is closed... then the brit bit goes nuts and snaps up the kiddies, thus providing Dear Dex with all the motivation needed to go after her. All does not go as planned. Things catch on fire. All in all a very empowering finale, but somehow unsatisfying. Dex is getting thoughtful and moral and all kinds of complex, and it's not nearly as endearing as sweet, innocent completely clueless killer Dex was.
  • The writers aren't Mensa members for sure as they experience brain-lock. The last few episodes were a bit unimaginitive and predictable.

In my opinion, it was much too simple for Doakes to die at the hands of Lila. Wouldn't it have been great, if only for a moment to see Doakes, Lila and Dex together inside that cabin? That would have constructed one of the most engaging and intriguing hearts-to-hearts in television history. Maybe the writers went on strike inside their own minds. Erik King will be a huge loss to the series. I'm thinking that LaGuerta may continue where Doakes left off - consumed with suspicion, instinctively following the evidence, and tracking down the real Butcher. Though LaGuerta was a huge supporter of Dex, the evidence points to him, and no one is more surprised than she. A great scene it was with the kids walking in, as Dexter was relaxed and enjoying his freedom in bed with Rita. Additionally, the post card from Miami with Doakes face glaring at Lila's was priceless. The writing this season paled in comparison to the last; however, the ensemble cast was just as brilliant or greater.
  • Much to like in it but still.....

Well finally the grand finale of the second season of Dexter. While it was good with some great moments, it did IMO have the "could have been better" feeling on it. There was much build up for the Dexter-Doakes storyline, specially in the recent episodes. Well the way this story arc was patched up will go down as a slight letdown as far as i am concerned. Not because Doakes is dead but mainly because he died pretty quickly in the episode. After much build up, I expected much more elaboration and more Dexter-Doakes interactions. Sad to see Doakes gone now but I guess there was no other way, it was either him or Dex.
    The rest of the episode was focused on the closure of the Dex-Lila story. Well nothing shocking really but it was highly entertaining. Lila is killed of by Dex who now goes back to his former "hobbies" and back with Rita...a good conclusion.
    Lundy`s character also gets closure, so does his relationship with Deb. The actor is amazing and the character was captivating but he had done his part. He was a nice addition this season but his storyline is over.

Overall, the finale was good but not great, mainly because of how quickly Doakes` story was resolved.

The Season 2 of Dexter will go down as a highly entertaining one. Great stories and actors...damn great TV!"Morning comes" IMO was the best of the season and definitely one of the best episode on this show. Excellent season and I hope they keep it up for the next Season as the adventures of our favorite serial killer continues!
  • I am glad that he killed her in the end.

The season finally summed everything up. I like when they leave on a little clif hanger at the end to get you something to look forward to in next season. The episode was good other than that. I like how he killed the british **** in the end, it would have left to many open end if he left her alive. I like that he is back with the better girlfriend, and that there is no chance of him getting blamed for the murders. I felt so bad for the sister and the end of her relationship. she always picks the wrong guys.
  • A lot happened...

I was suprised at how much happened in this episode. We get the conclusion to the whole Doakes situation and I think that it ended well.
    Spoilers ahead for those skipping ahead...

I didn't want Dex to kill Doakes and break the code. I'm glad he didn't have to make that choice. I kind of knew that Lila was going to do the deed but I didn't expect it to happen so soon in the episode.
    I liked it though. I thought it was a nice way for the character to go out and the fx were pretty nice.
    But all that was in the first few minutes and then we had to deal with Lila and her whole craziness. I thought her story was wrapped up well. I was prepared for her to get off scott free and become a killer in europe. I could have seen her popping up again in the future to give Dex a little trouble down the line. I was suprised that he tracked her down and killed her but I liked it as well. That shows her not to mess with killers.
    I like that the season wraps up with a clean slate and we can begin the next season fresh and with out too much stuff gumming up the works. All is clean except for Doakes old partner mourning his loss. I think she will be the next one to start sniffing around Dexter in the future.
    I can't wait to see what is going to happen in the next season and beyond.
  • Their fate is sealed.

Dexter's season comes to an end. AT this point we had good ideas as to how the season would end, it was how they would get there that was still up in the air.

I like the way Doakes fate was sealed by Lila. A tragic fiery conclusion to a good nemesis. Funny how Dexfinds the GPS amongst the evidence collected from the scene and realizes that uh-oh, it was Lila that did him in. Suspense reigned while he finds that Lila has Rita's kids and he must save the day there. After he does this and the APB is put out for Rita, sheescapes to Paris. This was the only disappointing piece for me. Dex of course follows and rather quickly with minimal suspense, dispenses with her. I guess it would have been tough to draw this out.

Other ends are tied up, Deb has to choose between G-man and Rita's kids and decides to help find Rita's kids. That storyline seems to come to a close as well as Batista's problems with Lila.

Very cut and dried at the end. Bring on next season and let's see who Dexter's next victim is.
  • Getting the end slide a little.. but good finish for season

Somehow it feels like last episode had all the tension, all the excitement and that culminated very fast in this episode, quite in the beginning with that bang..

But even with the tension was down, there were still some things.. I mean.. Lila and Dexter situation was unsolved and that seemed to take most of the time.. not that I stopped liking that storyline some time ago (it was promising first but.. turned dull quite soon). Ofcourse there was Deb's choice and I loved how they did it.. I was sure they can ruin it quite easily.. but that was well done.

So.. overall.. beautiful ending..but could have had the excitement through to the end.
  • Done With The Questions Written by Melissa Rosenberg And Daniel Cerone Directed by Steve Shill

Dexter: "It's pretty impressive. It seems it wasn't too long ago since I was taking care of you".
    Deb: "I like it better this way".
    Dexter: "Yeah, I can see that".

After an explosive set of episodes, its reassuring to know that Dexter's second season ended up going out with a bang as opposed to the feared whimper that some sceptics thought it would end up with. That being said, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who still are unsatisfied with the resolution with the Bay Harbour Butcher.

With the knowledge of a third season, it was always obvious that Dexter was never going to pay for his crimes but with loose cannons such as Doakes and Lila, there was still the issue of how Dexter would get away with murder yet again. It really didn't help that one was a hostage and the other a psycho stalker.

Framing Doakes was always going to be Dexter's way of dealing with problem number one. His code prevented him from considering killing Doakes and his devotion to Rita, the kids and Deb is what stopped him from turning himself in. As reasons went, they were more than valid.

However ever since "Resistance Is Futile", Doakes has practically had a clock over his head and sadly for him, his time was well and truly up. Thankfully for us, his death had nothing to do with Dexter but more so Lila, who just continues to show how incredibly unhinged she's become. It's hardly surprising that when Doakes tells her that Dexter is the Bay Harbour Butcher that her sympathy shifts to Dexter. Lila mutters on about how hard things must have been for Dexter to conceal such a huge secret, which is enough to make Doakes realise that she's nuts.

Of course Lila then also decides to protect Dexter's little secret by blowing the cabin up with Doakes. As deaths go, it's a little comical and while it's a shame that Doakes only gets less than ten minutes of airtime, it just confirms that Lila has signed her own death warrants by cleaning up one of Dexter's messes.

Of course at the time Dexter is relieved for the exploding cabin and dead Doakes. After all, a huge weight has literally been taken off his shoulders and while in the previous he almost accepted the idea of imprisonment, he's now eternally appreciative of the freedom he nearly lost.

On the flipside he also realises his GPS has gone missing and when he swipes it out of the remains from the cabin, he soon realises that Lila was responsible. So instead of a guardian angel, Dexter got a creepy British lady saving his ass. Needless to say, Lila is yet another problem that needs proficient sorting out.

Facing off Lila in an aquarium was a great way of getting him to confirm to her that he kills people. For once Lila did appear to be afraid of Dexter but that fear soon turned into lust when he tried to get her on side. As liars go, Dexter could give master classes in the subject.

He said all the right things to push Lila's buttons, based on the fact that parts of it were true. Dexter at times doesn't think he's capable of feeling but his relationships with Deb, Rita and even Angel in the last episode have proved otherwise. Lila literally doesn't feel anything and unlike Dexter, her attempts to masquerade feeling and mimic certain behavioural patterns aren't as successful.

It doesn't matter though because as far as Lila is concerned, Dexter has finally let her in and even wants to run away with her. Lila might be unfeeling but she couldn't be that stupid to not even consider the idea that Dexter was lulling her into a false sense of security. She even asked him at one point if he was planning to kill her and I don't remember hearing Dexter deny it.

Unfortunately for Dexter though, Deb ruined his perfect scheme by arriving at her apartment when he planned to kill the skanky Brit. It also didn't help that Dexter had to play along with Deb's hostility in front of Lila as well. There was a great moment where Lila taunted Dexter about the bag. It was also another realisation on her part that Dexter had planned to bump her off.

As much as I hate the woman, there was the smallest fraction of me that pitied her when she later opened the bag and saw Dexter's little weapon collection. For all her lack of feelings, she was still dumb enough to believe that she and Dexter were soul mates. There's no denying that they have some similarities but Lila's lack of boundaries is what makes her dangerous.

She proves that when she uses Dexter's kit to knock out Lexi and snatch Cody and Astor. Given that she accused Angel of rape and murdered Doakes so casually (the **** even bragged about the latter during the aquarium face off); using Rita's kids to get at Dexter was wholly stupid.

Worse still Lila trapped Dexter with the kids in her own place and then decides to the ground. Luckily for Dexter, he's able to get them out in time but it gave Lila enough time to leg it to Paris. As getaway destination go, it wouldn't have been my first choice – no offence.

However while skipping the country might have been a good idea, it doesn't mean Lila actually got away with her crimes. Now how many ex-boyfriends do you know who would go all the way to Paris just to kill you? Not many but obviously Dexter is an exception as his dedication for justice now sees him travelling to another country. At least Lila will be delighted to know that she made enough of an impact on Dexter that he would travel halfway across the world to end her.

Of course Lila, even as death came to take her still believed that she was doing the right thing for the man she loved. Dexter wasn't particularly impressed or grateful but he did admit that thanks to her, it was okay for him to be himself. I suppose even as an audience who have widely loathed the character of Lila should at least give her credit for Dexter getting his groove back so to speak.

So as a second season villain went, Lila was in some ways refreshingly different to Rudy but at the same times, obvious parallels could be made. Both of them used various tactics in order to get Dexter more in touch with his dark side and both of them loved him. The only difference is that Lila didn't have the same kind of emotional impact on Dexter or viewers (for obvious reasons) that her death would ultimately cause some sort of sadness.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Big Bad the third season can deliver but with both the threats of Doakes and Lila now gone, what does the future hold for Dexter? It's undoubted that all season long Dexter has raised questions about whether or not he's good or evil and it's also interesting to see if he'll be able to maintain his promise to no longer worry about such questions.

One thing I did appreciate about Dexter is that he felt some guilt Doakes' death. He might not have loved the guy but at least he showed compassion for Maria, killed Lila for him and even attended his funeral. The sad part however is that whatever you think of Doakes, he didn't deserve to die and he especially didn't deserve to have people still think of him as the Bay Harbour Butcher.

Unfortunately everyone still believed that it was him and while it means that this thread won't be dragged out next season, I seriously pitied Maria. Lundy was put in the unenviable position of confirming to her that Doakes was dead and even when it looked like she too believed he was the BHB; Maria still collected money for a memorial.

It's hard to say what side I would've been on. Would I have been like Angel, Deb and Masuka and refuse to believe that Doakes was innocent or would I be collecting money like Maria? Deb even challenged Maria but empathised with her as well. I like how the writers have used the Rudy angle to strengthen Deb as a character.

We saw that with the way she took charge and tried to mind Dexter after the fire at Lila's place and even the way she was determined to get Lila out of her brother and Angel's lives. Hell, we even got to see it when she was determined to salvage her relationship with Lundy.

That led to their break up. It was clear that Lundy was trying to dump her, mainly because he probably it would better for Deb rather than him growing tired off her. It was plain to see that she was never going to make it to the airport in time but I guess it went to prove Lundy's point about Deb being married to her job.

Speaking of relationships, when Lila wasn't trying to kill the kids, Dexter and Rita were seemingly getting back into their groove as a couple. However as much as Rita loved having Dexter back in her bed, I found the warning she gave him to be quite interesting if he stepped out of line. Rita's another character who's majorly changed for the better this season as well. This ball busting side to her has definitely made her a more interesting character to watch.

Also in "The British Invasion"

The title of this episode came from the 1960's influence of the likes of the Beetles and the Rolling Stones. Deb: "It's Doakes, you **** hate the guy".
    Dexter: "I used to. I can't even afford to think of him as a person".

Masuka made some off hand comment about making a movie out of the BHB events during his time with Dexter.

Lila (re Dexter): "He's the butcher?"
    Doakes: "That's what I've been trying to tell you".

Rita: "I've been right here. You were the one that went away".
    Dexter: "Yeah I did. I forgot who I was but I've got it straight".
    Rita: "Well keep it straight or I won't be here next time".

I loved that before the first break, we got a scene that actually mimicked the opening credits. It was very tongue in cheek.

Lundy (re Doakes' death): "I wanted you to hear it from me first".
    Maria: "Thank you".
    Lundy: "I'm truly sorry".

Lila: "You're wrong. I have feelings for you".
    Dexter: "You wanna have feelings for me. They're just impulses".

Deb looked cute in her little floppy hat and parka set up. Lundy's a man after my heart because I'm not much of a sun person myself.

Lila: "Come to say goodbye?"
    Deb: "Actually we came to see you cleared out but now that we see your way, we're good to go. Have a nice **** life".

Lila (re the bag): "I'm pretty sure it's mine. I can open it up for you if you'd like to check".
    Dexter: "No, it's my mistake".

In the fashion stakes, Dexter was rocking a pretty dark coat when he went to kill Lila in Paris. I actually want a coat like that.

Lundy: "It's more than that to you".
    Deb: "Okay I love my job but not as much as I love being with you".

Cab Driver: "You don't want to go to the airport?"
    Deb: "Of course I want to go to the airport".

The music in the episode was pretty exemplary, especially given the nice use of the theme music earlier on in the episode.

Dexter: "So I'm gonna be like this forever?"
    Harry: "Yes".

Deb: "How can you be so **** relaxed?"
    Dexter: "I'm good at compartmentalisation".
    Deb: "You're a little weird, Dex".
    Dexter: "Yeah, that's not gonna change".

The Harry flashback in this episode was brief once again. The young actor from the first season was back playing Dexter.

Lila: "Dexter".
    Dexter: "You wanted to feel close to me, this is the most I can offer".

Lila: "Don't do this".
    Dexter: "You told me to accept what I am. To trust in the one I know with absolute clarity. Thank you".

Chronology: The episode took straight after where "Left Turn Ahead" left off.

As a season finale, "The British Invasion" does everything that it needed to in wrapping up the stories for the BHB, Lila, Doakes and Lundy without cheating audiences along the way. With this show heading into a third season, it'll be amazing to see the quality maintained as greater shows themselves have often suffered fatigue in their later seasons.
  • lila had it coming

ding dong lila is death. So the end comes it wasnt all that i was expecting but still a very good episode it just dosent live by the standars of the last few episodes , i have to admit im going to miss doakes sure he wasnt very nice but i still couldnt help liking him and about lila she really had it coming i mean killing doakes framing angel trying to kill the kids ... altough i liked her in the first few episodes of the season (mostly because she is really hot) once she showed her true pshyco colors i realise she deseved dexters knife. also sad lundy went awy i hope he comes back thoug.
  • Dexter is always brilliant better than 95% of tv out there.

A little off disjointed for a finale, but I think that you need to judge a series as a whole and this ending was nice effects and higher budget. Gorgeous cinematography even for a Dexter episodes. I like how Lila became the ice truck killer for this season ties up endings well and plays cute humorous scenes nicely with dark blackness. I wish people weren't so quick to judge such an awesome show. Why do I have to write 100 words is this English class I said all I need to say right about now with one more word. Awesome.
  • the second season finale of dexter.

just like it showed in the preview lila had been responsible for doake's death. his death was cool,he went out with a bang. i was knida sad to see him go, his character grew on me. laguerta'a reaction was so sad. she knew th truth, but no one cared. doakes went out a murderer with no sympathy. lila had annoyed me so much, and im actually glad shes gone. when she stole dexters bag it just annoyed me. it made me worry that she would turn him in. when she found out he was the butcher, it was classic. her reaction was hurt, but i think she expected it. in her last effort to hold onto dexter she took ritas kids. i thought she would hurt them, but instead she was really nice. then she trapped them and dexter in her burning place. but dexter saved the kids and with a little help from his dads memory, escaped. i thought this episode was really good. a great finale, with a lot of good storie tied up.
  • Dexter's season 2 finale, "The British Invasion" wasn't as shocking or maybe even as exciting as season 1's brilliant finale - it was still a very solid finale.

As most of us predicted last week, Lila decided to kill Doakes. And poor Doakes sure went out with a bang; muttering in slow motion "motha f*kka" - just brilliant. It's really unfortunate to see Doakes now gone from the show, as his character was both exciting and empathetic. The Dexter/Doakes scenes stole the show for season 2, and to have that end is just criminal.

I think the most annoying part of Doakes' death is the FBI's apathy on finding out what really happened. I guess seeing that there was a dead chopped body, butcher weapons, and Doakes' charred corpse was enough evidence to wrap it all up - even going so far to ignore the evidence that Lt. LaGuerta had been compiling. Evidence that Lundy felt was compelling enough to want to learn more of was all seemingly dropped. Even Masuda mentioning that the stove was turned on that caused the explosion from the gas leak didn't trigger any suspicions is just mind boggling. Is this really the end of the bay harbor butcher storyline? Or will Season 3 continue with LaGuerta making it her destiny to prove the innocence of Doakes?

The Lila/Dexter/Deb scene was definitely one of the best of this episode as Lila taking Dexter's "death bag" was brilliantly directed and filled with tension. And poor Lila, sitting in her jeep staring at the bag not wanting to know what's in it, only to discover what she feared – Dexter was indeed going to kill her. In her last ditch effort, she kidnapped Rita's kids and tried to kill them and Dexter by burning her apartment down one last time.

Seeing Dexter break through the fire with a blanket and a body-check into the wall was a tad silly in my opinion. I'd of much rather seen Deb save Dexter's life this time, which would be a cute moment considering Dexter saved Deb from Rudy last season.

And finally to the surprise of no one again, Dexter arrives in Europe and kills Lila. I felt some pity for Lila as she stared at Dexter before he killed her. A tear dripping from her face, she really did love Dexter but unfortunately for her did not know how to express it in a civil manner. I was almost a little disappointed there wasn't more to Lila other than just being psycho and a female British serial killer. Having Dexter end her life with a knife to the heart was a great ending to the show and to the Lila character. While I wasn't the biggest Lila hater like other people on tv.com, I will miss her ability to upset me and Dexter. Dexter's surprise attack on Lila at the end was a great moment for Dexter fans, but I think it was not as great as last season when Dexter ninja'd Rudy. His great pain of killing Rudy was a lot more tragic and real, whereas Lila's was pure vengeful and cold.

Dexter's season 2 finale wasn't as shocking or maybe even as exciting as season 1 brilliant finale - it was still a very solid finale. Where does Dexter go from here? Will he go back to being a serial killer with a different MO? Will LaGuerta attempt to uncover the truth? Will we learn more about the relationship between Dexter's mother and Harry? Is there an answer as to why the writers contradicted Dexter's first kill [The nurse that was trying to kill Harry, whom Harry asked him to kill] and the apparent kill that sent Harry over the edge?

It's almost saddening really to know that Doakes, Lila, and possibly Lundy are gone from the show forever. They were three really well written and acted characters that I will personally miss. Overall, this season was a solid one but you have to feel that the beginning 4 or so episodes are almost completely worthless as much of the story and character issues were either pointless or later forgotten or even completely ignored. Nevertheless, still a solid finale for a season that lucky to avoid the season 2 curse.

Season 2 final score: 8.8
  • Review

A Lila centric episode to end season two. The second half of the season was indeed far better then the first, but overall I was hoping for a bit more from Dexter. This show is so unique and special and they have the perfect guy (Hall) playing this role that will be very hard to duplicate if they ever try to do a show similar to this. Doakes dying in the first couple of minutes at the hands of Lila was not something that I saw coming. I figured Lila and Doakes would both die, but I didn't figure that Lila would be the one to do Doakes in. I thought he would have died in crossfire or something at some point. The second half of the episode certainly dragged on a little bit. Deb misses her plane, so hopefully we see some conclusion with Lundy at the beginning of the next season. Angel is cleared of his name and Lila bites the dust. Overall, they have done everything that they had to do to make seaosn three a new experience. Dexter is still with Rita and has a new slide collection to work on. I think season three will begin with Dexter on a killing spree as opposed to the "I cant kill" at the beginning of this year. Overall - Season 2 was "Slightly Above Average" for me.
  • All the loose ends have been tied up...

Using the GPS she stole from Dexter's car, Lila makes her way to his cabin and finds Doakes locked up. He tells her that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher, but if he was hoping for a sympathetic ear, he won't get it from Lila who decides to protect Dexter in blowing up the Cabin. Dexter cant believe it as he says in his voice over Was it spontaneous combustion? Divine intervention? If you believe that God makes miracles, you have to wonder if Satan has a few up his sleeve, Sgt. Doakes ends up dead but there's a little matter of Lila knowing the Secret.

Back up at the lap Dexter finds that his GPS in the evidence bag, but how did it get there? He knows it was Lila all along; he goes to meet her and decide to leave together. Dexter wants to make her his victim, he goes to meet her at the flat but Debbie pops up from now where (Debbie you silly women), Lila shows her self but ends up leaving with dexter's handy tools, Lila soon finds out that Dexter was planning to Kill her.

Lila takes Rita's children back to her place, Dexter gets there but Lila sets the place on fire as she escapes, he gets the kids out of there and in the nik of time Debbie comes to rescue.

Lila leaves the Country, but Dexter tracks her down in Paris and disposes of her. Cant Wait for Season 3 Now
  • After soo long, the Dark Passanger is back!

Lila discovered that Dexter is the Bayharbour Butcher, and captured Doaks in that little hut near the swamp. She wants to help Dexter, /because She still believes that Dexter is her soul mate.../ and blow up the hut, with Doaks.
    The Miami police has every evidence that he was the Butcher, so they close the case. Dexter is in safe. The only thing left is Lila, who knows about him. He tries to kill her, but she escapes thanks to Deb, and kidnap Astor and Cody. She couldn't kill them because Dexter saves them. After that Lila run to Paris. Everything comes back to normal. Dexter got back his identity, /The Dark Passanger/, his family, and his peacefull life. Everyone feels bad about Doaks, but that was the only way, so Dexter could survive this. Of course after this, Dex hunt down Lila in Paris. :)

Wasn't bad, but I think the next season gonna be more darker, because the real Dexter is back!
    They gonna need a new, badass serial killer against Dexter Morgan! :)
  • The Bay Harbour Butcher case is closed but Dexter must deal with Lila.

I think that what has happened in the last 5 episodes is part of the finale because so much has happened in this season early but in this episode a miracle happens for Dexter when Lila gets to Doakes and blows up the cabin because she thinks she is his soul mate and she did it even though she knows he is the Butcher Dexter knows what happened was a miracle but he feels he has to kill her In this season things have definitely went Dexters way and Lundy who still doesn't truly believe Doakes is the Butcher is overwhelmed with the evidence that points to him and the case is closed As the season goes on we have seen how crazy Lila is and Dexter goes to Paris to do what many have wanted him to do since the start of season 2 and now Dexter has a new start with no Lundy,Doakes or Lila.
  • In this episode the second season documenting the tales of the secretive slasher, Lyla finds out about Dexter disaterous hobby and chaos ensuthes.

I really enjoyed this episode although i am sad about the death of Doakes. However I am glad that Lyla was finshed off as she had just become more of an anoyance than a threat towards the end of the series. Well until she locked Dexter in her burning apartment with Ritas kids. ( Great sequence by the way.). I hope in the next season they bring someone like Doakes in so Dexter will have more of a challenge to do his dirty work without being caught.Im in england and this episode has just arived here so have no clue about season 3 yet and i dont dare look a t Dexters tv.com page in case it ruins the next season. Thats how much i like this show. Hope you agree with me if you see this. thannk you for reading.

Demonslayer4257
  • A great and very neat wrap-up to all of the second season's riddles and loose ends.

Dexter has always been a series that is both very high in quality AND entertainment value. The writing is superb and witty and the acting ranges from top-notch to genius. Can you tell I like this show, much? I can't help it but feel this slight tad of dissapointment when I compare this season finale to the previous one. The ending of the first season was just so compelling that it would be very hard for this one to be able to top it.

Still a lot of plotlines got their resolve during this episode, from the Lila-problem to the Lundy/Deb problem. All of this was brought to us, in true Dexter-fashion, in a very exciting and brilliantly plotted way. I honestly didn't expect such a neat little wrap-up in the end (where are they going to go with season 3?) but it all worked out well. This season was a bit slower at the beginning, IMHO, but towards the middle everything became as engrossing as it had been before, if not even more. The pace, the characters, the writing...everything made this season a gem, and I can't stop myself from assuming that the upcoming season will be just as great (or even more). Dexter is one of the most intruiging shows on television today and I think it hasn't even peaked yet, it's only warming up now, and already it has become somewhat of a milestone in television drama.
  • Things in the second season of Dexter come to a final, bloody close.

Weel, it all over. The second season of the best show on television is complete. The finale was a bit overblown and overhyped, but it was not bad. I have to say I had a feeling Doakes was going to die but I had no idea of how exactly that would come to pass. Lila killing Doakes to try to bring hersel closer to Dexter makes total sense--if you think from her twisted, insane perspective. I knew a long time ago that she would end up dead...but that didn't make me hate her any less as a character, and it didn't make me unhappy when it actually happened. I was glad to see her go. From a writer's point of view it is a shame to lose a character with such potential. But the writers wanted to start season three with a clean slate, and so, Lila had to Go. I thin that if may have made sense for her to be a part of season three. She might have moved to a different city and started her own serial killing spree. Of course tihout Dexter's code, she would have been just another sick freak. Eventually he might have had to track her down. I could have seen Dexter taking Rita and the kids on a vacation to wherever it was that Lila "set up shop" and at night, sneaking out to kill her. But then again, I'm not a Hollywood writer...but with the strike going on, who says I couldn't be. Ha ha! Anyway, I'm rambling. I assure you this episode was very good and if you didn't see it or you've just stumbled across this review and have no idea what Dexter is or you've never seen it...buy the DVDs, because you will love it!
  • Just great

An excellent ending to the second season of Dexter. the nice thing about this show is that it has many twists and turns but makes sure to cut off all loose ends.

************WARNING SPOILER BELOW****************************************

In the "British invasion" Dexter's problems are solved when Lila steals Dexter's Navigation system and finds the cabin hidden in the Florida Everglades where Sargent Doakes is being held captive. She breaks in and Doakes informs her that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher. Lila in a delusional state feels that she now truly understands Dexter and wants to protect him. She leaves a gas line open and turns on the stove locking Doakes in the Cabin. Almost escaping Doakes is instead nearly all but incinerated by the huge explosion which destroys the cabin.

Dexter is relived by the instance but is unaware how it happened.

Dexter is given a new lease on life and begins to appreciate all that he could have lost should he have confessed or be caught as the true killer he is. Taking advantage of this renewed sense of freedom reconciles with Rita and they have an early morning romp before the kids stumble upon them to interrupt or as dexter put it "The Sex Police are here."

Later in examining charred evidence in the Forensics department from the Cabin explosion Dexter discovers his burned yet still recognizable Navigation unit that was taken from his car. Realizing that Lila could be the only person to take it he makes contact and arranges a meeting.

In this meeting Lila and Dexter profess their true fondness for each other and arrange to leave town the next day. Dexter has other plans.

Dexter hides in Lila's apartment waiting to "Remove" her when Deborah walks in almost becoming Dexter's victim on accident. She assumes that he was there to make sure she had left too when Lila walks in. Lila then sees Dexter's bag of tools and realizes what is going on. She grabs his bag and leaves telling Deborah that shes leaving town, and walks out.

Dexter leaves and tries to phone contact Lila to no avail.

Lila Pulls her jeep on the beach and looks at Dexter's tools. She then goes to Rita's home and knocks out the babysitter that was watching Astor and Cody.

Dexter returns to the Police station when Captain Astor tells Dexter that a woman called saying that she had specific knowledge to the Bay Harbor Butcher case and that Dexter has something to do with it. Realizing that Lila is trying to stall Dexter and he immediately rushes to Rita's house.

Upon arriving at Rita's house Dexter finds the children missing and the babysitter unconscious. Rita walks in and Dexter informs her that the children are missing and to call Deborah get get police searching for the children.

Dexter immediately goes to Lilas Loft and finds the children awaiting him who appear to be fine. Turning around Dexter sees Lila and she tells him that that essentially he "Screwed up". She grabs a lit standing candleabra and throws it to the ground igniting the curtains on fire. Lila runs out of the apartment shutting the steel doors and locking them closed with a chain. As the apartment engulfs in flames dexter kicks out two small windows and rushes the children through them to safety. once out he attempts to open the locked doors again with no luck. Gasping from smoke inhalation on the floor he remembers his father telling him that he will always be the way he is. Waking out of his daze he sees the lathe and plaster opening a hole in the wall as it burns. He jumps up wrapping himself in a blanket and rams the wall numerous times before flying through the wall to the outside entry way collapsing to the ground. Deborah grabs him and pats the flames away.

Dexter is sitting on a stretcher and asks Deborah how she knew to come to Lilas place and she stated that it was pretty obvious.

Lila is seen boarding a plane to Paris France.

Deb and Dex have a cute moment together stating that Deb is now taking care of Dex and not the latter.

Scene End. Black.

A tram or lift goes riding past the screen and the shot is taken to Lila opening the Door to her apartment in Paris. She checks her mail that has been slid trough the mail slot in the door and finds a Postcard that says "Greetings from Miami" on the front and a picture of Sargent Doakes on the back with no writing. Dexter leaps out from the shadows piercing Lilas spine with a needle. Lila tells dexter that she couldn't feel her legs or the rest of her body. He tells her thats why he did a spinal injection because he has a plane to catch.

He lays her on her and she tries to use reason and excuse to not do this but he tells her that she of all people always said how she understood him. He plunges a knife into her chest and waits for the life to leave her eyes. He seals her in a bag, and zips her up.
  • Just amazing, as most of the episodes in this season !!!!!

Well, this episode was amazing, like the whole season.

The end was my favorite part because i couldnt believe that Dexter would let Lila just go missing like that and do nothing.

So when the episode was almost over, and the whole Doakes being the BHB was over, i was like "please kill lila, please", and then she showed up in Paris all normal, like nothing ever happened and i knew Dex was going to get her !!!!!

To me that was the best scene in this whole season.

I do think that the BHB case is not over, someone will find out something next season. Anyway, great season, waiting for the next one.
  • This is the way a finale should be.

I won't rehash what a lot of people have said but I have to say this. The creators of this show know how to end a season and all those other shows should really take note. I find it very satisfying to have all the seasons loose ends tied up in the finale instead of the usual season ending cliffhanger that most shows try to leave you on. Perhaps they think this will keep us coming back but in my mind it does more harm than good. Giving the season some closure does a couple things, it answers all those exciting questions about what is going to happen to doakes, lila, rita and the kids, etc, but it also makes me feel like I got my moneys worth by not forcing me to tune in next season, which just feels cheap. After the end of last season and now this one, I can say that I am really looking forward to next season and feel that the writers and producers of this show really know what they are doing. I sure wish other shows had the balls to wrap thing up so neatly, just like dexter. Lets hope this writers strike is over before filming is supposed to begin.
  • Lyla saves Dexter from being caught but then she decides that she needed to threaten Rita's children just because she still can't have Dexter. Once again someone threatens Dexter's family and he does what is necessary to protect them. BYE Lyla ABOUT TIME

This season finale was the bomb. In my opinion, even though Dexter is a serial killer, he didn't deserve to be caught, so I guess thank the lucky stars that Lyla was as nosy as she was. She took care of Dexter's problem, although I don't think that killing Dokes was the answer. Lyla really shouldn't have threatened the children and that is what put the nail in her coffin. In the end she proved that she was a murderer and she got exactly what she deserved. She showed us that Dexter really does have feelings when it comes those he cares about. So to all those who think about threatening those Dexter finds important, BEWARE!!!
  • This sums up the two first seasons. And they leave us wanting more.

Before I saw the last episodes I did not like the idea that Lila would kill Doakes and Dexter would get away. I felt it was too weak, rushed, and Doakes deserved a better death than by the hands of Lila. He should rather be turned in to the police and let the system deal with him, or get a worthy death by the hands of Dexter himself.

But after the season finale they made me change my mind. The worthy-death-thing had already been done last season with Rudy. I think many more would have complained that it was unoriginal and so on. Turning Doakes in would not have worked at all. He would constantly point Dexter out as the killer, and with Lundy and LaGuerta doubting that Doakes was the BHB there is no way Dexter could come out of it in a credible way. Doakes HAD to die! There way no way to avoid it. But the amazing thing is how they made us feel about it!

For two seasons now Doakes has been the loud mouth macho that was suspicious of Dexter. And we all, at one point or another, thought to ourselves that Dexter should just get rid of him. He would just be another obstacle removed; Dexter only had to find some dirt on him, that he did something terrible in his military carreer or something. It wouldn't be hard coming up with a story that made him deserve to be Dexterised. But, in merely a couple of episodes, the writers managed to create a chemistry between Dexter and Doakes that the viewers loved. And it was acted out brilliantly. Doakes went from being one of Dexter's obstacles to becoming a cherished "friend" whom we wanted to keep for a long time. But we couldn't. We had to let him go. It still amazes me how they managed to turn that situation completely around. That is brilliant writing! Making us want the impossible, and yet not give it to us.

When it comes to Lila, at least some of us, wanted her dead from the beginning. And eventually the rest followed. This also had to happen! And killing her IN a body bag, with a knife through her heart, with a sad look on her face was great! I actually felt kind of sorry for her at that moment, but knew that there was no way she could get away. I still think this was meant to happen after Doakes' funeral, like several months in the future, but then they couldn't end with Dexter's voice-over at the end.

This season finale was not meant as a action packed-heart beating-thrilling-biting your nales-cliff hanger. It was meant to wrap up the last two seasons, and it contained some of my favourite scenes of the entire two seasons. Including the morning sequence with the theme song as background music. Brilliant!

Dexter made many mistakes this season; cheating on Rita, not going by the code, making an innocent man go down because of his own crimes. We were shown the sacrifices that were made in order for him to realize who he is. He was uncertain about his identity, because of his brother, his father and his sponsor. But now he has worked through all that, and evolved. He is now the master.

In a show about a serial killer, this season ended with the most unsatisfactory death of them all. But it was not in vane. Because of that we'll get to see more of Dexter in the future. And I pray that the writers can serve us more of what we've got so far. A brilliant end to a brilliant season of perhaps the best show on TV!
< 1 2