The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

• This sums up the two first seasons. And they leave us wanting more.

Before I saw the last episodes I did not like the idea that Lila would kill Doakes and Dexter would get away. I felt it was too weak, rushed, and Doakes deserved a better death than by the hands of Lila. He should rather be turned in to the police and let the system deal with him, or get a worthy death by the hands of Dexter himself.

But after the season finale they made me change my mind. The worthy-death-thing had already been done last season with Rudy. I think many more would have complained that it was unoriginal and so on. Turning Doakes in would not have worked at all. He would constantly point Dexter out as the killer, and with Lundy and LaGuerta doubting that Doakes was the BHB there is no way Dexter could come out of it in a credible way. Doakes HAD to die! There way no way to avoid it. But the amazing thing is how they made us feel about it!

For two seasons now Doakes has been the loud mouth macho that was suspicious of Dexter. And we all, at one point or another, thought to ourselves that Dexter should just get rid of him. He would just be another obstacle removed; Dexter only had to find some dirt on him, that he did something terrible in his military carreer or something. It wouldn't be hard coming up with a story that made him deserve to be Dexterised. But, in merely a couple of episodes, the writers managed to create a chemistry between Dexter and Doakes that the viewers loved. And it was acted out brilliantly. Doakes went from being one of Dexter's obstacles to becoming a cherished "friend" whom we wanted to keep for a long time. But we couldn't. We had to let him go. It still amazes me how they managed to turn that situation completely around. That is brilliant writing! Making us want the impossible, and yet not give it to us.

When it comes to Lila, at least some of us, wanted her dead from the beginning. And eventually the rest followed. This also had to happen! And killing her IN a body bag, with a knife through her heart, with a sad look on her face was great! I actually felt kind of sorry for her at that moment, but knew that there was no way she could get away. I still think this was meant to happen after Doakes' funeral, like several months in the future, but then they couldn't end with Dexter's voice-over at the end.

This season finale was not meant as a action packed-heart beating-thrilling-biting your nales-cliff hanger. It was meant to wrap up the last two seasons, and it contained some of my favourite scenes of the entire two seasons. Including the morning sequence with the theme song as background music. Brilliant!

Dexter made many mistakes this season; cheating on Rita, not going by the code, making an innocent man go down because of his own crimes. We were shown the sacrifices that were made in order for him to realize who he is. He was uncertain about his identity, because of his brother, his father and his sponsor. But now he has worked through all that, and evolved. He is now the master.

In a show about a serial killer, this season ended with the most unsatisfactory death of them all. But it was not in vane. Because of that we'll get to see more of Dexter in the future. And I pray that the writers can serve us more of what we've got so far. A brilliant end to a brilliant season of perhaps the best show on TV!