Dexter

The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

• On both story and character levels, Dexter is executed with masterful precision. Even if you think you found a flaw, you've still got to give it a "10" compared to everything else on television.

I thought every writing choice totally worked and led to one of the most gratifying endings to anything I've seen in years- plus, I absolutely love it when stories find a way to work in a moderate spiritual nudge...one of the last things, if not the last thing he says was something like- "I can't help but think that a higher source wants me to keep doing what I'm doing". FRAKKIN' AWESOME! I could see an argument for Lila's involvement taking the pressure away from Dexter having to make a hard decision, but Dexter had already made the decision to not turn himself in, so in that sense he had fully arc'd. We didn't have to see our hero kill someone he (and we) didn't want to see "Dexter-ized" (if you will). Also, Dexter showing up to take out Lila right at the end (just as I was thinking "don't tell me she's going to become a serial killer herself") might have been a little cliche, but it's a great audience pleaser, gave solid closure, and just had me walking away thinking "wow, this season was perhaps better than season 1, I love this, and I'm jealous as a writer".