Dexter

The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

• I just watched this and I can't believe that such a good show was dragged through mud. Season 1 was some of the best television I've seen my entire life. Season 2 was even better... up to the finale. Now I don't think I'll watch anymore.

Dexter went from becoming a very sympathetic character to one you don't really care to relate to anymore. The season ends with him letting Doakes take the fall for his kills. Then Dexter flies to Paris to axe a woman who (granted though messed up in the head) the writers went to extremes to make worthy of murder. I think the problem with this whole season 2 mess began when Doakes found Dexter in the everglades dumping the body of his mom's killer. Season 2 would have been far better if either Doakes never gotten so close to Dexter's truth, (which led him to be held hostage, which led Lila to find him and kill him, which led Lila to be axed) or if Doakes had let Dexter off and moved on himself to a cushy six figure income. I would have even have been happy had the show come to an end where Dexter surrenders and accepts responsibility for what he did (not taking others down just because they saw how screwed up he really is). In summary, I found it harder and harder to watch the season from that point on and was hoping for some ultimate redemption at the end, where Doakes would keep Dexter's secret and Lila would become better and quietly move on with her life. Instead, Dexter crossed the line from being an avenger to being a self-serving opportunistic sociopath, (i.e. just another psycho killer). And psycho killers aren't interesting, they're just f'ed up. I hope the showtime writers bother to research these sites. If you do, you guys just messed up some of the best, most original TV I've ever seen. I'm not watching anymore, and I don't think many others will for much longer.