Dexter

The British Invasion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 16, 2007 on Showtime

• Done With The Questions Written by Melissa Rosenberg And Daniel Cerone Directed by Steve Shill

Dexter: "It's pretty impressive. It seems it wasn't too long ago since I was taking care of you".
    Deb: "I like it better this way".
    Dexter: "Yeah, I can see that".

After an explosive set of episodes, its reassuring to know that Dexter's second season ended up going out with a bang as opposed to the feared whimper that some sceptics thought it would end up with. That being said, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who still are unsatisfied with the resolution with the Bay Harbour Butcher.

With the knowledge of a third season, it was always obvious that Dexter was never going to pay for his crimes but with loose cannons such as Doakes and Lila, there was still the issue of how Dexter would get away with murder yet again. It really didn't help that one was a hostage and the other a psycho stalker.

Framing Doakes was always going to be Dexter's way of dealing with problem number one. His code prevented him from considering killing Doakes and his devotion to Rita, the kids and Deb is what stopped him from turning himself in. As reasons went, they were more than valid.

However ever since "Resistance Is Futile", Doakes has practically had a clock over his head and sadly for him, his time was well and truly up. Thankfully for us, his death had nothing to do with Dexter but more so Lila, who just continues to show how incredibly unhinged she's become. It's hardly surprising that when Doakes tells her that Dexter is the Bay Harbour Butcher that her sympathy shifts to Dexter. Lila mutters on about how hard things must have been for Dexter to conceal such a huge secret, which is enough to make Doakes realise that she's nuts.

Of course Lila then also decides to protect Dexter's little secret by blowing the cabin up with Doakes. As deaths go, it's a little comical and while it's a shame that Doakes only gets less than ten minutes of airtime, it just confirms that Lila has signed her own death warrants by cleaning up one of Dexter's messes.

Of course at the time Dexter is relieved for the exploding cabin and dead Doakes. After all, a huge weight has literally been taken off his shoulders and while in the previous he almost accepted the idea of imprisonment, he's now eternally appreciative of the freedom he nearly lost.

On the flipside he also realises his GPS has gone missing and when he swipes it out of the remains from the cabin, he soon realises that Lila was responsible. So instead of a guardian angel, Dexter got a creepy British lady saving his ass. Needless to say, Lila is yet another problem that needs proficient sorting out.

Facing off Lila in an aquarium was a great way of getting him to confirm to her that he kills people. For once Lila did appear to be afraid of Dexter but that fear soon turned into lust when he tried to get her on side. As liars go, Dexter could give master classes in the subject.

He said all the right things to push Lila's buttons, based on the fact that parts of it were true. Dexter at times doesn't think he's capable of feeling but his relationships with Deb, Rita and even Angel in the last episode have proved otherwise. Lila literally doesn't feel anything and unlike Dexter, her attempts to masquerade feeling and mimic certain behavioural patterns aren't as successful.

It doesn't matter though because as far as Lila is concerned, Dexter has finally let her in and even wants to run away with her. Lila might be unfeeling but she couldn't be that stupid to not even consider the idea that Dexter was lulling her into a false sense of security. She even asked him at one point if he was planning to kill her and I don't remember hearing Dexter deny it.

Unfortunately for Dexter though, Deb ruined his perfect scheme by arriving at her apartment when he planned to kill the skanky Brit. It also didn't help that Dexter had to play along with Deb's hostility in front of Lila as well. There was a great moment where Lila taunted Dexter about the bag. It was also another realisation on her part that Dexter had planned to bump her off.

As much as I hate the woman, there was the smallest fraction of me that pitied her when she later opened the bag and saw Dexter's little weapon collection. For all her lack of feelings, she was still dumb enough to believe that she and Dexter were soul mates. There's no denying that they have some similarities but Lila's lack of boundaries is what makes her dangerous.

She proves that when she uses Dexter's kit to knock out Lexi and snatch Cody and Astor. Given that she accused Angel of rape and murdered Doakes so casually (the **** even bragged about the latter during the aquarium face off); using Rita's kids to get at Dexter was wholly stupid.

Worse still Lila trapped Dexter with the kids in her own place and then decides to the ground. Luckily for Dexter, he's able to get them out in time but it gave Lila enough time to leg it to Paris. As getaway destination go, it wouldn't have been my first choice – no offence.

However while skipping the country might have been a good idea, it doesn't mean Lila actually got away with her crimes. Now how many ex-boyfriends do you know who would go all the way to Paris just to kill you? Not many but obviously Dexter is an exception as his dedication for justice now sees him travelling to another country. At least Lila will be delighted to know that she made enough of an impact on Dexter that he would travel halfway across the world to end her.

Of course Lila, even as death came to take her still believed that she was doing the right thing for the man she loved. Dexter wasn't particularly impressed or grateful but he did admit that thanks to her, it was okay for him to be himself. I suppose even as an audience who have widely loathed the character of Lila should at least give her credit for Dexter getting his groove back so to speak.

So as a second season villain went, Lila was in some ways refreshingly different to Rudy but at the same times, obvious parallels could be made. Both of them used various tactics in order to get Dexter more in touch with his dark side and both of them loved him. The only difference is that Lila didn't have the same kind of emotional impact on Dexter or viewers (for obvious reasons) that her death would ultimately cause some sort of sadness.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Big Bad the third season can deliver but with both the threats of Doakes and Lila now gone, what does the future hold for Dexter? It's undoubted that all season long Dexter has raised questions about whether or not he's good or evil and it's also interesting to see if he'll be able to maintain his promise to no longer worry about such questions.

One thing I did appreciate about Dexter is that he felt some guilt Doakes' death. He might not have loved the guy but at least he showed compassion for Maria, killed Lila for him and even attended his funeral. The sad part however is that whatever you think of Doakes, he didn't deserve to die and he especially didn't deserve to have people still think of him as the Bay Harbour Butcher.

Unfortunately everyone still believed that it was him and while it means that this thread won't be dragged out next season, I seriously pitied Maria. Lundy was put in the unenviable position of confirming to her that Doakes was dead and even when it looked like she too believed he was the BHB; Maria still collected money for a memorial.

It's hard to say what side I would've been on. Would I have been like Angel, Deb and Masuka and refuse to believe that Doakes was innocent or would I be collecting money like Maria? Deb even challenged Maria but empathised with her as well. I like how the writers have used the Rudy angle to strengthen Deb as a character.

We saw that with the way she took charge and tried to mind Dexter after the fire at Lila's place and even the way she was determined to get Lila out of her brother and Angel's lives. Hell, we even got to see it when she was determined to salvage her relationship with Lundy.

That led to their break up. It was clear that Lundy was trying to dump her, mainly because he probably it would better for Deb rather than him growing tired off her. It was plain to see that she was never going to make it to the airport in time but I guess it went to prove Lundy's point about Deb being married to her job.

Speaking of relationships, when Lila wasn't trying to kill the kids, Dexter and Rita were seemingly getting back into their groove as a couple. However as much as Rita loved having Dexter back in her bed, I found the warning she gave him to be quite interesting if he stepped out of line. Rita's another character who's majorly changed for the better this season as well. This ball busting side to her has definitely made her a more interesting character to watch.

Also in "The British Invasion"

The title of this episode came from the 1960's influence of the likes of the Beetles and the Rolling Stones. Deb: "It's Doakes, you **** hate the guy".
    Dexter: "I used to. I can't even afford to think of him as a person".

Masuka made some off hand comment about making a movie out of the BHB events during his time with Dexter.

Lila (re Dexter): "He's the butcher?"
    Doakes: "That's what I've been trying to tell you".

Rita: "I've been right here. You were the one that went away".
    Dexter: "Yeah I did. I forgot who I was but I've got it straight".
    Rita: "Well keep it straight or I won't be here next time".

I loved that before the first break, we got a scene that actually mimicked the opening credits. It was very tongue in cheek.

Lundy (re Doakes' death): "I wanted you to hear it from me first".
    Maria: "Thank you".
    Lundy: "I'm truly sorry".

Lila: "You're wrong. I have feelings for you".
    Dexter: "You wanna have feelings for me. They're just impulses".

Deb looked cute in her little floppy hat and parka set up. Lundy's a man after my heart because I'm not much of a sun person myself.

Lila: "Come to say goodbye?"
    Deb: "Actually we came to see you cleared out but now that we see your way, we're good to go. Have a nice **** life".

Lila (re the bag): "I'm pretty sure it's mine. I can open it up for you if you'd like to check".
    Dexter: "No, it's my mistake".

In the fashion stakes, Dexter was rocking a pretty dark coat when he went to kill Lila in Paris. I actually want a coat like that.

Lundy: "It's more than that to you".
    Deb: "Okay I love my job but not as much as I love being with you".

Cab Driver: "You don't want to go to the airport?"
    Deb: "Of course I want to go to the airport".

The music in the episode was pretty exemplary, especially given the nice use of the theme music earlier on in the episode.

Dexter: "So I'm gonna be like this forever?"
    Harry: "Yes".

Deb: "How can you be so **** relaxed?"
    Dexter: "I'm good at compartmentalisation".
    Deb: "You're a little weird, Dex".
    Dexter: "Yeah, that's not gonna change".

The Harry flashback in this episode was brief once again. The young actor from the first season was back playing Dexter.

Lila: "Dexter".
    Dexter: "You wanted to feel close to me, this is the most I can offer".

Lila: "Don't do this".
    Dexter: "You told me to accept what I am. To trust in the one I know with absolute clarity. Thank you".

Chronology: The episode took straight after where "Left Turn Ahead" left off.

As a season finale, "The British Invasion" does everything that it needed to in wrapping up the stories for the BHB, Lila, Doakes and Lundy without cheating audiences along the way. With this show heading into a third season, it'll be amazing to see the quality maintained as greater shows themselves have often suffered fatigue in their later seasons.