Dexter

The Damage a Man Can Do

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 16, 2008 on Showtime

• Miguel had to go one step too far.

This was a very interesting episode to see because it's about Dexter showing Miguel how to kill and Miguel just wanted to go up to the target and shoot him but Dexter shows him the real way and Miguel starts to learn that Dexter has been killing for a long time and in the end Dexter probably will wish he hadn't shown Miguel how to kill when Miguel goes after the one person he wants to kill the most leaving a good cliffhanger for the next episode.
  • Season 3 finally hits its stride.

Watching Season 3, I've realized that in terms of quality, it's not quite up there with Seasons 1 and 2.. Not to say the show is bad, but some of the episodes don't have the same impact as the previous two. However, starting with this episode, Season 3 really hit it's stride. Having Miguel completely descend into Dexter territory was a smart move on the writer's part and sets Dexter up for possible problems in the future.

Also, after multiple episodes of having the Skinner case take a backseat to Miguel Prado and Dexter's relationship, it appears it's finally beginning to take a front row seat. Anton has been an interesting character (it's given something for Deb to do in the show)and him going missing makes the whole Skinner case a lot more intriguing.

Dexter has always been a smart guy, but just as Harry said to him, having Miguel as a partner was a stupid move. Seeing him enter Ellen Wolf's home was sinister and you'd have to be an idiot to not see what happens next..

I'm glad to see Season 3 finally picking up. It seemed almost like Dexter wasn't going to have a single problem to deal with, but Miguel Prado is proving to be a potential major one.
  • Lines That Shouldn't Be Crossed Written by Scott Buck Directed by Marcos Siega

Dexter: "I tell Miguel to be inconspicuous and what does he do? He shows up looking like the Unabomber. I've got my work cut out for me."

Yes, Dexter and if you think that's a problem, then you've really got your work cut out for you. Even without the use of fantasy sequences, what on Earth possessed Dexter into thinking that Miguel should be trained up to be a serial killer? I could say that Dexter's created a monster but he's not responsible for Miguel's dark passenger. Instead Dexter's enabled and unleashed Miguel's inner monster and this I can certainly blame him for. Bad Dexter, bad.

Friendships are supposed to involve a lot of fun activities but slaughter ain't one of them. It was inevitable that Miguel would continue on such a dark turn, given that we haven't actually seen an episode outside the premiere that would indicate that he wasn't dark in some way.

Wanting someone to accept your dark side so much is one thing but did Dexter really think that he could control Miguel? Miguel has more than proved that he's a law unto himself and he certainly knows too much anyway about Dexter.

He figured out that Freebo wasn't the first person that Dexter offed and to be honest, I don't think it was this episode that Miguel realised that. I think he's known for a while but now was seemingly the time in which he felt he needed to address it in order to get what he wanted from Dexter.

What he wanted to do was to kill Billy Fleeter, which for Dexter was worse than if Miguel had simply asked him to do the deed. Dexter showed the usual reservation but this wasn't going to turn out to be like Ellen Wolf. Billy was bad to the bone, Dexter had the evidence to prove it and Miguel was going to make the kill.

That being said, there were some interesting parts to the plot. For instance, Dexter made the decision to try and teach Miguel as much of Harry's code as he could in a short space of time. When Miguel wasn't scowling about the code, he asked a lot of questions that did make Dexter uncomfortable. That should've been enough to have gotten Dexter to have changed his mind about killing Billy.

Miguel drawing attention to himself during a stakeout of Billy though very nearly did. I actually cheered that Dexter told Miguel to forget and not because of Billy. I hate guys like Billy but Dexter's friendship with Miguel has managed to become even more destructive than Lila's was.

Thing is, Miguel knows how to push Dexter and using the dark passenger speak was a good way of getting Dexter to agree to the kill again. Plus Dexter is seemingly more needy for a friend now than ever so Miguel also played on that one as well to get Dexter to agree to the kill.

As for Billy's death, we've seen plenty on this show in three seasons. Last week's episode with Camilla dying was poignant but Billy's was disturbing. As a character, he's pretty by the numbers but what's so memorable about it is that Miguel is the one who ended up killing him and feeling elated by the experience.

For all the talk Dexter had about wanting someone who accepts him, this friendship with Miguel is only going to result in death. It was at this point last season that Dexter realised that Lila was trouble. The previews for the next episode give the indication that he's about to find that out for himself.

As for Ellen Wolf, did Miguel really do her in? I know he hates her guts and is clearly unhinged but I like Ellen and I don't want her to be one of Miguel's victims. Besides, she screwed her own client over so that should've been enough for Miguel to leave the woman alone.

More importantly, she also gives Maria a chance to be fun. I like seeing a Maria, who's neither screwing around with people to keep her job or fawning over Miguel. Ellen's injected some needed fun into Maria and even into parts of this episode as well. I don't want Ellen to die, especially through Miguel.

Plus Ellen was fun in this episode whereas Rita who I usually love was pretty irritating. I know she's pregnant, hormones and everything but I also thought she was being a bit of a **** at some points as well. She's been with Dexter long enough to know that he's kind of socially clueless.

Thankfully though, there weren't that many scenes to endure and while I did want to scream, 'shut up, Rita', I think Sylvia managed to convey it a lot better when she told Rita to concentrate on filling the envelopes rather than addressing them.

Also by no coincidence whatsoever, Rita's temper was seemingly sated when Dexter got her an engagement ring she didn't want but in reality, she really did, continuing the trend the women say one thing and mean the other. Okay, so maybe Dexter shouldn't have had Deb point out the fact that Rita really did want a ring after all but it did make for a nice brother and sister moment. Sometimes Dexter really does need Deb to help him out. He probably should've asked her about wedding music as well seeing as Rita was so ratty on that subject too.

Onto more interesting subject than Rita's hormones, has the Skinner really managed to snare Anton? Is this going to be the third season in a row where Deb's love life is still a disaster area? Who knows but poor Anton. He gets relieved of having to be a CI and then he gets snatched by Miami's latest psycho. Deb's love life certainly keeps a going. Then there was her spat with Quinn over the cop. Maybe Quinn should've reported Stewart's meth habit to his superiors but would that have really done anything to have save Stewart. I can see why Yuki might have been mad with him but I don't necessarily think that Quinn was that responsible. Users are still going to use, regardless of what actions Quinn might have took.

As for Angel and Barbara, nice to see another functioning relationship on the series. Quinn might have teased him a few times and Angel might have gone overboard when he thought he was being dumped but either way, I think him and Barbara do make for a sweet couple.

Also in "The Damage A Man Can Do"

Very interesting title for the episode. Miguel has proved that he's very damaged as well.

Cody (re waffles): "You're making that up."
    Dexter: "I am even hurt that you would say that."

A lot of people seem to be commenting on how Julie Benz looks a lot more glam this season compared to last. I was thinking it myself as well.

Anton: "I'm a musician, I work nights."
    Deb: "And what do you do during your days?"

Maria (re Miguel): "You knew that was going to happen."
    Ellen: "Doesn't mean I can't **** about it."

Miguel was causing problems for Ellen even after the outcome of last week. Man, he really does know how to hold a grudge.

Miguel (re kill area): "Where slot machines go to die."
    Dexter: "At least one gambler."

Bartender: "Can I get you anything else?"
    Ellen: "How about a foot massage with those big, gorgeous hands of yours?"

There was a bit a flirty vibe with Ellen and Maria or was that just me?

Deb: "Oh my God, you just get dumber every day! How do you survive in this world? Of course she wants one."
    Dexter: "How am I supposed to know that?"
    Deb: "You are such a Y-chromosome cliché! Just buy her a beautiful, romantic, 'I love you with all my heart' **** engagement ring. And Dex, size matters."

Dexter: "How do you feel?"
    Miguel: "Fantastic."

"The Damage A Man Can Do" certainly lives up to it's title. Dexter's really in danger ground with Miguel and whatever closeness he feels for the guy is going to be something he'll regret soon enough. Still, a stunning episode nonetheless.
  • Good

Miguel wants in on the kill this time, and he's being very eager, I think it's very unnerving. Miguel is acting like it actually matters to him personally. Which was obvious in the last episode as well with Ellen. The code doesn't allow personal vendettas. Anyway, Dexter explains more of the rules to Miguel who appears to be willing to follow them. But what happened in the end...?! Deb and Anton slept together and she seems happy, apart from the fact that he is missing of course. We're getting to know Quinn better and Angel and Barbara are very sweet. The voicemail he left her was a classic! :D
  • Better

This episode was somewhat better than the rest of the season. Dexter is still a good show but kinda in the shadow of its formerself...for the moment, cause things could change.
    So Miguel-Dexter association is defintly worth it, great lines and story. Miguel Prado is quite a character as he gets more and more complex. Never thought he`d actually want to kill. The way this was executed was perfect..it had that classic morbid Dexter thrilled. The cliffhanger is good too as the thing with Miguel gets bigger. I know Jimmy Smits is only a special guest star and he`ll probably leave after this season but I do hope it`s not the case. Couldn`t care less about Lundy leaving last season and was happy to see lila go but here it`s totally different...Miguel prado has the potential to go futher.
    Even the skinner storyline was interesting, I just hope he is not someone predictible like Quinn.
    Some funny lines with Batista here..Rita was quite well uninteresting.
    So things are looking better. It still lacks that trilled it had for the first 2 seasons, that made you die for more but it may be coming. I actually think it may take a Dexter vs. Miguel situation for that to happen. I just hope they don`t do a Doakes and leaves Miguel in a certain death sotryline.
  • One of the best episodes I have seen on my favorite show. May Contain Spoilers so don't read if you haven't seen the episode yet.

In this episode it shows Miguel's darker side and how he wants to kill a man, Dexter was teaching him how to do it, and how to leave no trace of evidence so you can never get caught. I also loved the fact how he wasn't telling Miguel about the code and who came up with it. In the back story it was showing what happened after the One night stand with Debra who was with that black man (Forgot his name sorry)and how she went to go and check where the guy was and realized that the Skinner had been watching all along. The episode had everything you wanted. A good Story line between Dexter and Miguel, a superb back story with Debra and Quin and Angel and the Lawyer woman, it had tention, excitement and all you need! And a great cliff hanger at the end how Miguel goes into the ''Innocent Lawyers house'' where he was about to kill her. Breaking the code of Harry. A Perfect episode which was definitely the best of the latest season.
  • the code of harry...... and dexter and miguel

wow easyly the best episode of the season i mean so much happend in this episode but what realy stands out is michael c. hall and jimmy smits preformance they are so good that make a couple of serial killers believeable . now the other good things : this king guy that could be the skinner or at least has very dark secret , poor anton but it makes for an awsome set up for next episode and of course the final scene just blow my mind SPOILERS is miguel going to kill ellen wolf? it seems that way. oh this season is awesome
  • There is *no* way this show can get any better.

There is *no* way this show can get any better. But that is what I have been saying since the first episode, and the way this show's quality is accelerating, these guys are making light speed look like a drunk snail stumbling backwards.

The kill was incredible on so many levels. After Dad's chilling warning "you don't get to have friends, Dexter. Nothing good can come out of this.", Dexter seems to have a son in Miguel. He did everything – from showing him the ropes and keeping him in line to being there all the way. It was definitely like a rebirth for Dexter – the way he was crouching and watching the kill was reminiscent of how they found him in that container all those years ago. Only this time, he was fully conscious of it all.

One asks further. Is the "darkness" a social effect – like we were led to believe with Dexter? Or can it be something people are born with? Or even learn from those closest to us?

Another butterfly has been born. But this one did not go through the cocoon of the Code. How far will it fly before the inevitable hurricane comes?

I also loved all the little things that happened, but were totally eclipsed by Dex/Miguel. Included a crazy pregnant Rita, Angel's apology and all Deb-Dex conversations.
  • Miguel wants in on the Action

What an Episode, the best of the Season so Far. Miguel wants in this time and gives Dexter a victim, a debt-enforcer who busts heads, named Billy Fleeter. Miguel is so eager to kill Fleeter that it seems unnatural, don't get me wrong, it's not that the character turn isn't believable; it's that Miguel's desire to cause pain and right wrongs comes from an inner place of extreme anger. Miguel learns to kill and Dexter has let him into code, wrong move? What the hell was he doing at Ellen Wolf's place?

The Skinner looks to have targeted someone well known to Deb, Anton. Deb tells him that he's a free after Quinn admitted that he didn't file the right paperwork. The two of them seem to work their best when they're actually...working together.
  • Dexter brings Miguel further into his world as Miguel wants his first kill. Dexter deals with the reality of having a hormonal Rita while Deb frees Anton of CI Duties.

Well we've come to episode 8 as we creep our way to the wrap up stage of the season and low and behold another top ep fro the guys at Dexter. This ep had everything, story advancement, tongue in cheek moments as well as great tense moments for Dexter and Miguel.

This week Miguel decides that he want to kill the next target. A former college footballer who kills for his bookie to pay off gambling debts. Dexter feels awkward about the whole thing that opening Miguel to his code may lead to problems. This main arch of the story was handled very well as Dexter never considers the consequences that might come from Miguel killing (a rampage me thinks!).

Meanwhile back at Rita's she is raging with hormones as the pregnancy gets to her along with the wedding. Dexter tries to understand and help but she refuses to lighten up. Dexter soon finds a way to loosen the tension with some help from Deb.

Speaking of Deb, she finds that Anton was never an official CI and so she can let him go from a life of snitching. The relationship seems to be becoming more serious before Anton disappears. Has he skipped town with his new freedom or has the Skinner struck again!

I say it in every review but Dexter is nothing if not consistent. But while this is a flaw for some shows that just don't seem to grow, for Dexter this is a blessing as every week the audience is treated to TV brilliance. Keep it up guys, I'm a but sad that this season only has another 4 eps left in it!
  • Holy Moly! The season is just getting better.

I've bean reading some forum posts where people think there isn't enough action this season. Some are complaining about Dexter 'settling down', becoming a father, making friends.

If *all* you want is action, there are plenty of brainless shows on Fox. This show is so incredibly written. Even if there hasn't been as much killing or 'action', I've been on the edge of my couch for 5 episodes straight. What is going to happen next between Dexter and Prado is incredibly suspenseful. It's an intelligent as well as original show. All the sub-plots are even interesting to follow. I've always felt that Prado was too unstable. He may think like Dexter, and could even be like him, but he hasn't had the training and discipline as Dexter does. Prado flies off the handle constantly at the frustration of feeling inept in his job. He would rush out in broad daylight to take out a killer who got away without thinking. He would get caught after only 1 or 2 guys on his own. He's sloppy.

I wanted Dexter to tell him he was the bay harbor butcher, and somehow thought Prado would put the pieces together with the guy saran wrapped to the table. I want to see his reaction. I hope that is in our future.

And what with the ending? I think he was there to kill her, still high off the kill he made earlier. Others Ive talked to think he could be there to confess, feeling so guilty after it all wore off.

I HAVE to know!! I wish it was sunday today.
  • Miguel kills for the first time.

Another great Season 3 episode of Dexter. Here we saw Dexter teach Miguel about the code and as a result taking on his responsibility. Debra fears that Anton may have become the next victim of the skinner and Angel's relationship progresses.

A lot of points came off as fillerish here such as Rita planning the weddding and the generic bad guy that Dexter and Miguel chose to kill. Luckily the show knows how to be entertaining even when it isn't the most original storyline. I could have done without all the dating drama as well but it looks like that is bound to happen as Showtime is hoping for longevity with Dexter.

A good episode overall just a few minor flaws.
  • Wow, looks like Miguel isn't all what he seems to be when he readily embraces Dexter's darker practices. Does Miguel know more than he let's on? Is it all a trap?

Miguel brings Dexter another "project," but this time he wants to get his hands dirty. Dexter realizes it's time to teach Miguel the Code – for his own safety as well as Miguel's. As Dexter walks Miguel through the process, Dexter both struggles with, and enjoys, letting Miguel into his private world so completely. But Dexter doesn't realize that this has only whetted Miguel's appetite. Miguel and Dexter make their first kill together, but there's more. After the kill, we see Miguel going to someone's home, the person to answer is Ellen Wolf!

Rita finds herself losing control because of the pregnancy. She becomes worried that Dexter may get fed up with her. A lot of Rita walking around irritated in this episode, and Dexter ends up buying her a big fat ring.

Because of her hard work, Debra finds herself one step closer to catching the Skinner. But after she finds out a secret about her new boyfriend, Anton, he disappears on her. Debra finds out that he wasn't on the CI payroll, because Quinn did it off the record. Looks like the Skinner may have gotten his hands on Anton, once again propelling Deb into a relationship that will mostly likely end badly.

The Good: Jimmy Smits and Michael C. Hall, the scenes in the kill room were very well done. Can't believe Smits almost actually took out the stuntman in that scene! Eeek!

- Deb and Quinn working the Skinner case was actually interesting. Clearly the head tree trimmer guy is the best suspect for the killings. When will Dexter jump on that bandwagon already?

- Ellen Wolf and LaGuerta having a ladies night out was just weird. But at least now I understand the need for Ellen Wolf's presence on the show, it ties in directly with Miguel.

- Is Miguel sleeping with Ellen or is he going to kill her?

The Bad: Rita and her hormones.
    - Angel and his new relationship bore me to tears.

Bottom line: Felt like a set up episode, but definitely worth your time!