Dexter

The Dark Defender

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 28, 2007 on Showtime

• Dexter confronts someone from his past and finds out some interesting information about Harry

I absolutely love the storyline this season. Even though I don't want Dexter to cheat on Rita, I actually really like him with this Lila woman because she seems to understand him while Rita would definitely throw him out if she found out what he really was. It kills me that he keeps finding out that Harry lied to him so much. At first I thought that Harry could really be Dexter's father, but then I remembered that last season he found out that his real father had died and that that guy had donated blood or something to him when he was kid, cause Harry wasn't a match. That means that Harry couldn't be his father. This show never seems to disappoint on any level. I love all of it and I cannot wait until next week when we get to find out more.
  • After a very transitional episode (S2E04), Dexter has returned to the levels of greatness it use to have in season 1. This episode is by far the best, strongest, and most riveting episode of season 2.

With so many jaw dropping moments, new insights on characters that we did not previously know, to the warm and very interesting FBI Lt Lundy, this episode had it all. The anger of Dexter was well acted, and the somber mood when he returned to Lila was well executed. He slept in her arms like his mother use to hold him.

The episode is well written and directed exceptionally well. The final camera pan at the end of the episode leading up to the camera was excellent and nerve-wracking.

It was revealed in this episode that there is a possibility that Dexter's adopted dad Harry was sleeping with his mother. Could this possibly lead to Harry actually being the *real* father of Dexter? Afterall, Rudy has pure black hair and dexter does not. Is this a hint that they were actually half-brothers? It would make sense as to why Harry picked up Dexter and not Rudy, and chose to raise him. The ending was shocking but expected. Only 5 episodes in and now Dexter is in serious trouble. Will they be able to successfully write him out of this trouble? If you recall in season 1, when the little boy saw Dexter attack the wife - it seemed like Dexter was doomed. Unfortunately, the whole Jesus sketch just came off a bit silly and definitely a cop out. Here's hoping that the same thing doesn't happen.

Either way, I'm on the edge of my seat looking forward to episode 6. Sunday can't come soon enough!
  • Partners in Crime Written by Tim Schlattmann Directed by Keith Gordon

Dexter: "I hide in plain sight, unable to reach out to people close to me, afraid I'll hurt them … like I've hurt so many others. This is what he made me become".
    Lila: "And that's what you should tell him".

It should be around this time every season that we get an episode that turns most of what we believe about Dexter on its head. Here this is exactly what happens and it makes for a lethal hour for Miami's best serial killer.

With everyone divided on the Bay Harbour Butcher either being a source for good or pure malevolence, Dexter finds himself thinking about his mother's death. During a particularly dull narcotics meeting he even drifts off to dreamland and wonders how he could've saved his mother.

It continues to show that no matter how much Dexter thinks he's devoid of emotion, there's always something strong that will elicit an emotional reaction. You could ask why this preying heavily on his mind now but with Rudy's death not being so long away, it's easy to see why Dexter is in a contemplative mood.

Telling Lila about his mother's death is good for his continued charade of being an addict but it's also good that he's emotionally engaging with someone. Lila might not be the best choice in terms of confidant but right now, she'll do and despite her obvious boundaries issues, at least she can doll out some sensible advice.

With three men responsible for Laura Moser's death, the obvious thing Dexter could do is track these guys down and add them to his slide collection. Two other obvious methods are to either urinate on their graves or talk to them behind bars. Lila suggests the latter two and she sounded serious when suggesting both of them.

Dexter seems to be good with taking other people's advice lately so he decides to do some digging up on his mother's killers. With only one of them available to sort out, it comes as a great joy that more about Harry's relationship with Laura Moser is brought to light thanks to some audios.

It seems that Laura was an informant rather than an addict. More interestingly is that Harry was assigned to protect her and because she ultimately got killed in such a gruesome fashion, he failed her on that account. The flashbacks with Harry this season have been good but this is the first gripping one we've had.

In a police station we see Laura and a younger Dexter talking to Harry and the latter is portrayed as reckless due to his lack of concern for Laura's welfare. She was smart enough to realise that her cover with that drug gang was essentially blown but Harry was too preoccupied with the idea of nailing the gang to properly protect Laura.

I don't know if I would go as far as to blame Harry for what happened to Laura but there's definitely a lot he could've done to have prevented Laura from getting killed. Dexter himself was justifiably angry when he uncovered this little bombshell but it wouldn't be the only bad dent on Harry this week.

As for Lila, she further upped her game by suggesting a road trip to see Santos Jimenez, the only freed killer of Laura Moser. Dexter not telling Rita about this was smart in a sense but also something that will backfire on him. After all, Rita is blatantly threatened by Lila despite the fact that neither of them have interacted.

It's hard to understand Lila's motives all together. On one hand, she's incredibly unprofessional and does seem desperate to shag Dexter. She even suggested that he dumped Rita and there's a later scene where she bares her soul to him as well. Then there's the fact that so far she's only person who sees Dexter that doesn't want to expose him as a wrong one.

Also it's her who actually saves Dexter from himself this week. When Dexter came close to killing Santos, it was Lila who ended up talking him out of it. Of course she assumed that Dexter was using rather than killing but either way she ended up being the voice of reason that Dexter needed during his meltdown with Santos.

It's not that I actually wanted Santos to live, it's just under normal circumstances Dexter would've been in a better to do him in but here he was losing it big time. Santos was a surly enough prick but if Dexter had killed him right there and then; it would've put him in a lot of hot water. Also the fact that Harry was sleeping with Laura raises a lot of questions as well.

However scene where Dexter and Lila were on the bed is a bizarre one. At one point I did think he was going to sleep with her but I'm glad he didn't. Instead Lila revealed that she accidentally killed an ex-boyfriend by burning his house to the ground. Lila did seem remorseful enough for that but it only further sets off alarm bells as far as I'm concerned.

With Lila seeing Dexter for who he is and accepting it, it makes perfect sense that Gail would see Dexter for what she thinks he is and have difficulties reconciling with it. As far as Gail is concerned, history is having a very bad habit of repeating itself and Gail doesn't mind expressing that.

First she tackled Dexter and told him to abandon Rita and the kids if he truly cared for her. As much as I like Dexter, it's hard to find fault with Gail in this scenario. She was on the money about Paul and Rita refused to listen to her. Gail seemed intent on making amends with Rita in the last episode. I guess a part of that means protecting her daughter from unsuitable men. Sadly that's exactly where Dexter fits in right about now. It also helps that the writers don't write Gail as a harridan either.

When it comes to Dexter, Rita does stand her ground on that one. Even though she knows that Gail is making sense she still defends Dexter and his addictive behaviour. Even though I do actually side with Dexter here, I have to admit that Rita can often be a little too naïve for her own good. At least we know that unlike Paul, Dexter would never intentionally hurt Rita.

Gail however is relentless and when Rita thought that their confrontation would result in his mother packing her bags, it was funny to see the opposite effect occurred instead. With Gail now intending to stay around for a little longer, Dexter will definitely have to watch his step. She might not be on the level of Doakes in suspicion but she's not far off either.

Speaking of Doakes when he has many things to say on Dexter's behaviour, he really ought to take a look at his own. Last week he killed another guy and while it's obvious that he isn't keen on talking about it, it still doesn't avoid the fact that he's also a bit of a loose cannon.

Even Maria has her worries about Doakes and when I say worries, I mean it. The woman might have been content with sleeping with Esme's fiancé to get her job back but even she's capable of caring about someone else. That makes sense given the fact that both her and Doakes are virtual outsiders/

Of course Doakes doesn't appreciate Maria's input and tells her to mind her own business. He even uses the fact that he knows about Bertrand to get her to back off. I don't know why but for some reason the fact that Doakes knew in depth just how low Maria would sink to get what she wanted took me back a little.

I quite like the Maria and Doakes dynamic so I kind of hope that neither one of them fall out with the other. I feel that way mainly because they only have each other as confidants due to the way their aggressive behaviour has alienated them from everyone else on the force.

Someone who's doing a lot less alienating is Deb. After deciding to give a relationship with Gabe a go, she decides to snoop for some more information on her new boyfriend. Gabe's quite the cutie and at first I did wonder if he was lying about not knowing the Ice Truck Killer case. However it does appear that this relationship is a little one sided.

Given what Deb went through with Rudy, perhaps it's not a good idea that she's in any relationship right now. When she snoops through his emails she assumed that a book he's writing is about the Ice Truck Killer. It later takes Lundy of all people to make Deb realise that Gabe only writes children's books. Something tells that Deb will make one wrong assumption too many and then Gabe will tire of her and leave.

However if that doesn't happen or Deb doesn't dump the guy, then I'm sure her relationship with Lundy will also intensify. It seems with each new episode that airs, the flirty subtext is more apparent and during their surveillance at the docks, it did look like Lundy was trying to come on to Deb.

The thing is Deb seems to be aware that there's an attraction there too. She might not play on it or encourage it all that much but she definitely knows that Lundy's into her. She was uncomfortable with him at the docks but more receptive when he started talking about his wife's death. When they do shag, it'll kill whatever paternal role Lundy could've played in her life.

Also in "The Dark Defender"

So all the papers are debating about the Bay Harbour Butcher being a good guy. Dexter still hates the name, not that I blame him.

Dexter: "Shouldn't you be moving back to your office, boss?"
    Maria: "I'd rather be here".

Two episodes in and Doakes still hasn't said a peep about Dexter being an addict. However the trailer for next week looked like he was going to spill.

Lila: "So what were you doing to your mother in this dream?"
    Dexter: "Saving her life. She was murdered when I was a boy. I was there. I saw it".

Deb: "Looks bad doesn't it?"
    Gabe: "Yeah. The cute panties help".
    Deb: "Would you believe that I'm trying to get to know you better?"

Gabe mentioned being in El Salvador visiting family during the reign of the Ice Truck Killer. His book was also called "The Ice Princess". I can see why Deb would've thought it was about her.

Dexter: "I would never hurt Rita like Paul did".
    Gail: "Because I'm not going to give the chance. It's only a matter of time before you pull her under like Paul did".

Doakes: "Why the **** would I need counselling?"
    Maria: "Because you shot a man last week James. That's the second time in less than six months. It's got to be taking its toll".
    Doakes: "I'm fine".

This episode gave some confirmation that at one point both Doakes and Maria might have had a sexual history.

Deb: "Did you hear anything I just said?"
    Lundy: "Not one word. It's one o'clock. I always stop and eat lunch at one o'clock. You'll learn that about me. Why don't you sit down?"

Dexter: "Good news is you've got the place to yourself if you want to tie up Gabriel again".
    Deb: "That one never gets ****ing old".

So to ask an obvious question, is there a possibility that Harry could be Dexter's biological father?

Maria: "How did you know about Bertrand?"
    Doakes: "I didn't for sure until just now".

Rita: "You turned your back on me and your grandchildren".
    Gail: "That wasn't my fault. I tried to warn you about Paul but you ran away with him anyway".

Dexter tried to make chit-chat with Gail about the armadillo encounter earlier on before she tried to get rid of him and Rita is trying to give up smoking.

Santos: "You got me confused with someone else".
    Dexter: "I know exactly who you are. You made me into what I am".

Dexter: "Thought I could resist".
    Lila: "Jesus are you using?"
    Dexter: "No but I'm about to".

Lila had some fun with a cottage painting in the hotel by making it look all fiery. That probably was a hint to her history of arson.

Lila (to Dexter): "They blamed the fire on his drugs but it was me. He died because of me".

Dexter (re Marcus): "Did he deserve it?"
    Lila: "Yes".
    Dexter: "Then you didn't do anything wrong".

Chronology: Thanks to Maria, it's a week since "See Through" and less than six months since "Father Knows Best".

"The Dark Defender" is a suitably apt title for this episode. Anything that really explores Dexter's psyche in such a detailed manner is going to be a winner and this utterly superb episode just keeps hitting that awesome button. Also with security footage of Dexter cleaning his boat at the end, it seems that more trouble in on the horizon for our anti-hero.
  • so little by little we are starting to learn the real truths in dexter's so very twisted past and i gotta tell you its just as good as the very begining....my only worry is what is going to happen next and how long will i have to wait this time?

i thought it was a good episode as were all the episodes before it, yes it dropped off for a second there but i still couldn't help watching the next episode because i knew i would not be dissappointed. the writing of this series is set so that even when u think my god they are going to ruin this show they turn around and give us just what we want to see......Dexter is a character i've been waiting for and i hope to see much more of him in the future as i know all of you are as well.
  • Dexter faces his mothers killer.

A really good episode where Dexter finds his mothers killer and with help from Lila she persuades him to face his mothers killer but Dexter didn't take Lila's advice and Dexter learned that his mum was with Harry Dexter then knows that Harry had lied to him again Lila was surprisingly able to persuade Dexter not to kill him This lead to Dexter finding out more secrets this time about Lila where she tells him she has killed someone by accident and she got away with it but Dexter is the last person she wants to tell that story to It was a very interesting ending with the camera so now Dexter is going to have to act fast to make sure nobody sees that footage.
  • We learn more about Dexter's mother.

This episode is called Dark Defender which is a great name for Dexter instead of Bay Harbour Butcher. Dexter deals with his past and we learn more about Harry and Dexter's mother. Harry knew Dexter's mother and he was guilty of Dexter's mother's death in fact because even if he promised, he was unable to protect her. Dexter's dream was one of the most effective and emotional scene of Dexter because Dexter saves her mother as a dark defender. Lila brought fresh air to the show, she is a really good character with depth and she has similarities with Dexter because She has a secret, too like Dexter.
  • The more I watch Lila (Jaime Murray), the more I am captivated by her. She is a perfect addition to the best show on TV.

The only thing I don't like about Dexter is that it is only a 1 hour show. I record the show, and watch it back as if I am down to my last scoop of ice cream, and want to savor every bit of it.

Lila is incredibly intoxicating as Dexter's program sponsor. Leaving the bathroom door open just far enough to tease Dexter is a fantasy I'm sure many men have dreamed about at some point in their lives.

Rita's mom deciding to stay in Miami and live with her will no doubt lead to Dexter spending less time with Rita and more with Lila, which works for me.

What a great show this is. I can't wait to see how the department clues in on the Bay Harbor Butcher and how Dexter is able to fend them off. Something tells me that Lila may have killed more than just her ex boyfriend/drug dealer, and that she may be more like Dexter than we are lead to believe.
  • Probably the best season 2 episode yet, and it's not even over.

After one season and four episodes that defined modern television, one would ask just WHAT Dexter had up his sleeve for the remainder of the season? The answer is in the form of this very special episode entitled The Dark Defender, and for a good measure too.
    This episode embodied just what Dexter's about. Excellent character development and riveting, deep plot arcs are what make this episode so good. We find out more harsh truths about Dexter's past and of Harry as well this time around, which add a lot to the tension that has engulfed Dexter already concerning the Butcher investigation, which I might add, might topple Dexter over very soon (hint: the ending). I just might pass out from shock if they continue writing in such an absorbing way. Kudos to the writers yet again for achieving such a level of maturity and keeping the viewers on the edge of their seats, something many writers have stopped doing.
    I cannot say anything more than what has already been said here, other than the fact that I will be tuning in next week surely for what seems to be the mother of all adult TV shows at this time, and hoping Dexter can make it out in one peace.
  • Dexter tries to avenge her mother`s death.

Dexter finds out that one her mother`s murderer was alive and free and on the advice of Lila, he decides to settle the game. Of course Lila just meant to go and talk to him...But Dex to go and kill him. Well he end up not killing him, Dexter is changing a lot now...can he really fight his addiction?
    Meanwhile the investigation on the Bay harbor butcher did not really moved forward but the harbor was being watched and I was surprised Dexter was so careless to go and clean his boat even after Debra told him the harbor was being monitored. Debra and his new boyfriend seems to be getting along well even if she thought at 1 moment that he was writing a book on the Ice truck killer. I like the Fbi guy, he`s cool and I like his relationship with Debra....and Lila is hot!! and it was nice to seem her meet Batista.
    Rita chooses Dexter over her mum but the latter decides to stay just to make sure Dexter don`t take the "wrong road" Interesting episode....I cant wait to see what`s next for Dexter who is now kinda more Lost than ever as even Harry lied to him...and it was a terrible lie as he Harry is in some sort responsible for what happened to Dexter`s mum.
  • Is Harry Dexter's real father?

While Dexter is very busy dealing with his own "Marla", astonished with how another person could see him and not look away, interesting side stories are developing. Debra is still having a hard time trying to face her recent past with the Ice Truck Killer, which leads her to make false assumptions. Rita's mother is becoming a nuisance (actually she "sees" Dexter but wants to look away) but Rita has manned up to her and defended Dexter/her relationship with him, causing mom to decide on "staying" in Miami! The hunt on Bay Harbour Butcher continues and more facts are revealed on the algae. Debra and the FBI Agent scroll down to the marina where Dexter keeps his boat as well, and they come up with the idea that this particular marina is too dark, so they furnish it with surveillance cameras. Dear Dexter speaks of his untold past to Leila, who convinces him to do some confrontation. They ride away together to find the only person from Dexter's mothers brutal homicide. Dex beats him bad, and he reveals his mother to be in a relationship with Harry!!!
    I like Dexter very much, and I like the way they have turned the show. This twist is not bad at all, any other way it could have been lame but the writers managed a successful turnaround. I am looking forward to next week!
  • Dexter learns more about Harry...

Dexter agrees to face his past. He learns that only one of the three men who killed his mother and him and his brother in the shipping container is still alive.

Dexter decides to face the man who has taken his life away Accompanied by his Sponsor Laila in which the pair bond; as they share a few home truths about each other.

Debbie is still seeing Gabriel but blows up at him when she sneaks a peek at his e-mail. Rita's mother Gail decided to join her daughter in the previous episode in this episode she tells Dexter he should leave after finding out about his meetings hes been attending. The police investigation continues and they narrow the Bay Harbor Butcher's Marina down to three possible sites. Dexter decides to give his boat a clean but doesn't realize that Agent Frank Lundy has ordered a Surveillance watch on all the marines.
  • Dexter deals with his past, and learns new things about Harry.

Lila tags along with Dexter as he goes after the man that murdered his mother. I'm not sure whether or not I like the character of Lila. She seems too free spirited to keep Dexter grounded; though, she perhaps understands him better than his girlfriend Rita.

The way Lila was holding him after he left the man that killed his father reminded me of mother and child. I wonder if Lila is a substitute for the mother he lost. She seems to provide him with a strange form of unconditional love. It did not surprise me to learn that she had killed someone herself. If she makes it a habit she may come face to face with the Dark Avenger.

Dexter is beginning to see look deeper behind Harry's masks. He is coming to see the man he put up on a pedestal was human. I think Dexter will continue to see new sides to Harry and understand that his Dad did his best.

Debra's continues to suffer from the affects of what the ice trucker killer did to her. Her snooping was very understandable. I did find the FBI's guys interest in her a little creepy, but I'm not sure why. I maybe predisposed to dislike him because he is after Dexter.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I really can't wait to see what happen now that Dexter is got on tape "cleaning" his boat.
  • I loved Dexter's dream as Dark Defender.

I really enjoyed the comic version of Dark Defender. And I really enjoyed that Dexter is finding out more about the men who killed his mother, but what I'm not enjoying lately is his sponser Lila. She's just not right for Dexter. I always enjoyed this show because of Dexter who always seems in control and kills with ease. Now he seems scared and hesitant (we thought he got over that a couple weeks ago, regarding his brother), and he runs to Lila every second, and she made him stop from getting revenge on his mother's killer. She seems like she is stalking him, and they did that last season. Overkill.
  • Dexter meets the man who killed his mother.

An exciting episode with a surprise twist. Dexter does not kill the man who killed his mother. Due to Lila's influence he leaves before actually killing the man. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. It does change the premise of the show somewhat. Dexter is no longer the emotionless killing machine who feel that he has no control over his killing urges. Rather, he's become more and more human and seems to be in control now.

I hope Debra and Gabriel works out, for a while it felt like they were setting her up with the FBI guy, but I think Gabriel is a much better match.

Rita's mom, who doesn't trust Dexter, decides to stay. I'm sure that will cause more complications for Rita and Dexter's relationship, especially since Rita already doesn't seem too thrilled about Lila.
  • Shadows from past and present

So.. This episode maybe was little slower than previous ones and it somehow reflected the action.

The whole thing between Dexter and Lila was brilliant. I like the weird situation Dexter is caught and the game he was playing but the thing seems to get more and more out of his control and it really looked like he is intrigued that there is someone who sees behind the mask and actually might understand him. That's dangerous: for everyone else. That, probably, would mean giving up all normal (I mean Rita and children).. and turning to that twisted world but hey.. nothing in this serie is not twisted.

Also the developments on other sides were good. I loved Deb and her trusting issues and irony. And that FBI guy seems to get some more depth too.
  • Nutshell review: Dexter 2x5 - The Dark Defender

Good episode, with some cool dramatic moments (Dexter confronting his past - literally)

But, problem is: Lila is starting to get a bit too annoying. I like the whole "life coach" approacH(or whatever you want to call it) but Lila is almost like Dexter's mother which in my humble opinion kills the drama and suspense a bit. It's all too convinient. I don't want Dexter to turn into the Dexter/Lila show.

The Dark Defender "vision" was hilarious and well done + points earned for that. The ending while definitely "edge of the seat"-quality, a bit too out of character(bit too sloppy for Dexter!) 8/10
  • Season Two Struggles To Get On Track

Season two has really focused on character pairs. Dexter + Rita and Dexter + Lila are two of the strongest pairs in the group. I'm really not sure what to make of the Lundy + Deb pair that we have seen so much of this season. I don't get what Lundy is supposed to be for Deb - a father figure? I viewed him as being more of the bad guy this season for Dexter, but all he has really done is be there for Deb to assist her thourgh her troubles. Doakes + Maria - Not a pair of characters who I very interested in at all. I liked how Dexter went to approach the man who killed his father, but his struggles to kill this season are starting to get very...annoying? Isn't that why we watch the show. Maybe I should understand the dynamic of what he is going through right now in terms of character devolopment, but I guess that part I hate the most is that he feels "reborn" one minute and then "I can't kill again" two seconds later. Five episodes into season two and I must say those of you who say s2 > s1 must be watching something that I am not.
  • Watch out rita the new girl it trying for your man.

I am really loving the new girl. I think that she is perfect for Dexter. I hope that he drops the old girlfriend and gets with the new chick. This was a really good episode, I can't believe that Dexter didn't kill that guy I was really expecting him to I wonder how long it is going to be before he kills again. I hate Rita's mom I can't believe that she is moving it with her; she needs to tell her to get her own place. The whole things crazy, and I love Dexter's sister's new boyfriend her is really cute.
  • Dex looses his cool and I hate Debra more than any other character in the history of television.

Seems like our boy Dex is starting to lose his ice cold edge. I like it when he finally acts normal and beats the sh** out of his mother's killer. I would also like to start a subtopic here with the heading: "Jennifer Carpenter (Debra Morgan) is the worst actress ever". My greatest joy in Dexter was when I thought she was going to get killed by the ice truck killer and be gone from the series. Her lines are horrible and she speaks as if she is a robot with turrets. This episode just enraged my hate with her even further, so much that I almost had to turn it off. Overall, I hope she (Debra) dies sometime soon.
  • The Dark Defender is the episode in which Dexter confronts one of his mother's killers.

This season of Dexter is horrible. We have the introduction of Lila, a useless character. Something about this woman irritates me. I can't stand how she constantly is all over Dexter. I happen to like the Dexter and Rita relationship, and this woman is starting to tick me off. I didn't like how she was walking around naked and showering with the door open. I hope that when Rita finds out, she pulls a Dexter on that skank.

Secondly, what have they done to Dexter. He's turning in a whining little crybaby. I don't want to see his "human" side. I saw that in season one, and in small doses it is interesting. Call me crazy, but when I watch a show about a serial killer, I expect to see people getting killed. I don't want to see the killer being emotional in every single scene. If ever any of Dexter's victims deserved to die, it was the guy that killed his mother, and yet he just let him live. Even if he had killed him, the way that he overpowered the guy was so sloppy. Whatever happened to the cold and always in control Dexter that we rooted for in season one? I hope that Dexter kills Lila at the end of this season. It would definitely go a long way in making up for this drivel that we've had to watch so far. The only reason that this episode got a seven is because of the implications of Harry and Dexter's mother.