Dexter

This is the Way the World Ends

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 18, 2011 on Showtime

• Ughhh. Really?

For a series that more often than not gave us, pretty much, perfection, this season has been nothing ... less than ... lackluster.

I guess that in a show that has such a phenomenal run, one would expect some episodes that are not up-to-par, and EVEN a season or two that rank at the bottom. This episode though ... this season ... has been really bad.

Many times we have seen situations and things that were just too conveniently set up for Dexter's 'trade' and settings which too conveniently got him out of messes. At these times though I talked myself into giving the writers the benefit of the doubt and my TV "mind" told me it was a good or an evil higher power that was protecting him. Like others have already said and described on this page though, it was pretty hard to overlook in this season, and more so in this episode. Luck is one thing, miracles another (even the boat was named Milagro / Miracle); but the track the writer's have taken of leaving more and more things to 'chance', is upsetting. I LIKED that Dexter was so well-taught by Harry that this training, and his skill, and not just blind luck, bailed him out.

As for Debra falling for him ... this has been obvious from mid-season 1. I just didn't think the unravelling would be lazily crammed into one or two episodes. And what is it with Deb's character? Where she used to be strong she has now turned into this emotional, crazy woman? C'mon.