This Little Piggy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 28, 2013 on Showtime

• Have the writers just given up?

There is no way this show should be getting the high scores others are giving it at this point. Does anyone remember how exciting the show was with Doakes or Trinity? It was great television. And here we are, with just a few episodes left to go, and we've got Masuka's daughter and some boring nonsense about the 'brain surgeon', which after several episodes is now dropped with no consequence whatsoever to anything.

Why is Vogel now 'family', given Dexter previously announced he's done with her? Why is Deb so suddenly OK with Dexter after nearly a season and a half of trauma for her? Why bother investing airtime in minor characters like Masuka and Quinn at the expense of a truly exciting storyline for Dexter? Why bring in completely inconsequential plotlines like Yates's shoe collection or toe-breaking? What an unnecessary waste of airtime, as was his entire character.

The first half of this season has been a disaster. This is a greater travesty than the end of Lost, although at least we had two dull seasons before this one as warning signs. It's hard to get excited for whats's ahead. The people responsible for writing this show aren't even trying anymore. Dexter deserved a thrilling, climatic final season. It deserved to hit the ground running on episode one until right to the end of its run. It deserved to be gripping, tense and unpredictable.

What we have is this show's worst case scenario.