Dexter

Those Kinds of Things

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 02, 2011 on Showtime

• Righteous Kill: A Dexter Morgan Story (Spoilers Ahead)

Season Six kicks off with a fresh kill and things pick up a year after Season Five to give Dexter some room to move away from Rita's shadow and be on his own again. He is still raising Harrison as a single dad and has hired Angel's sister Jaime to be his Nanny, no word on what happened to the pleasant Irish-woman. LaGuerta gets a promotion to captain by blackmailing Captain Matthews in a typical "she would do that" type of way. Deb and Quinn are still together and like any series he has something serious to ask her. Dexter attends his 20 year high school reunion and gets a taste of what it's like to be popular and also targets the high school football captain who killed his wife three years ago. Enter into the fold a duo of killers, Travis and Professor Geller, two religious enacting psychos who killed a fruit worker and filled his stomach with seven worms afterdisemboweling him. Dexter's reunion adds a bit of the macabre humor for someone as pop culturally hopeless as Dexter and he even gets serviced by the Prom Queen for being her cheating ticket out of high school. Dexter also begins to work on finding a preschool for Harrison and doesn't know what he wants to leave behind for his son and reevaluates the religious school choice. LaGuerta offers Batista the job of Lieutenant in the wake of her promotion and he says he'll consider it. Masuka takes on a few new lab assistants since he now teaches Forensic Pathology and will get a rotating intern as a possible weekly gag or something. Aside from being a strong isolated episode and an unhinged Dexter killing willy-nilly like in Season One there were some things missing. The thing about a show like Dexter is that it can't go on forever, as a suspense driven drama it can only go on so long before it uses all its tricks. The season villains seem powerful and disturbing and are at the moment unrelated to Dexter but they will collide sooner or later but until that happens this season may have to pick up the pace sooner than later to keep this from getting tedious up until midseason.

• Those Kinds of Things

Those Kinds of Things was a brilliant episode and perfect start to a new season of Dexter. The beginning of the episode was just great and really had me on the edge! I felt like the show had revitalized and refreshed itself in a lot of ways and didn't waste time with to much nonsense. I find it interesting that this season seems to be based around religion yet the nanny who was religious and perhaps sparked the questions about it within in Dexter, about his son, is not here this season. The high school reunion was a perfect way to bring in the new season and it was so fun to watch Dexter in this environment getting advice from his father, Harry. There was humor, action, and character development starting off the season right! Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks were awesome in their roles and some of the scenes were a bit horrifying and chilling. I look forward to this season to see how the story around all the characters will continue to unfold!!!!!!!!!

You know that fall is really here when Dexter is back on our TV screens.

The show has suffered from slow starts where they try too hard to establish these characters in the past few years, but this episode was actually pretty solid while featuring an introduction. I am not sure if Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos can replicate what Julia Stiles, Jimmy Smits and John Lithgow did before them, but we will see.

There was some comedy here, and although they did not explain it, I am glad it happened regarding a Batista/Maria breakup. Smart move to separate them and an even smarter move to not waste our time showing that.

Good start and let's hope this season is as "crazy" as the hype has been about it.

• Dexter questions the idea of religion and we meet the new villains.

Looking back on Season 5 of Dexter, it's not that it was a bad season, but it just didn't leave me feeling satisfied the way Seasons 1, 2 and 4 did. Season 5 started off strong, got stronger and simply fizzled out and limped into the finale. Everything wrong with the show was evident by the finale: Dexter nearly getting caught by Deb but is saved at the last second, Lumen randomly leaving, the relationships of the show, the much-too-tidy tie-up of Quinn and Liddy's fiasco... I just felt like the show was like "Well, that didn't work the way we wanted it to" and hit the reboot button.

That being said, the Season 6 premiere isn't exactly a reboot, but with Scott Buck at the helm (writer of some good Dexter episodes and some GREAT Six Feet Under episodes) and no romantic interest bogging Dexter down, Dex can somewhat get back to normal, despite having a kid in tow. What I liked most about the premiere was how skittish it felt. It sounds like something that's not worth liking, but to be honest, I was glad to see no romance for Dexter. We watch him go to his high school reunion, an episode that feels straight out of Season 1 because of how disconnected it is from the main plot. Last season found Dexter going after one guy, Boyd Fowler, and he ended up being connected to the main plot. It'll be nice to see some stand-alone kills from Dexter.

As for the main villains this season, played by Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos, we didn't get enough here to exactly make a judgment on how they're doing, but I will give the show this: this is creepy. Whereas other villains operated because of their own psychosis and damaged pasts, these seem to be operating under the guise of religion, and that can be a freaky thing. It should be interesting to see how these characters bloom.

Another surprising development is the lack of Batista and LaGuerta being together. Talk about the writers taking the advice of the fans into account. Nobody wants to see those two having plots that take up significant chunks of time. That being said, I'm not sure how much better watching Batista and his sister is, but at least Batista is being given something to do besides pine for LaGuerta and argue with her. Also, I see Deb and Quinn as being strong enough to exist without Dexter. I'm looking forward to seeing how their plots grow from here on out as well.

The premiere was good for sure; I wouldn't go as far as to say great. There's room for improvement here, but this was a good start.

(Also, I love the way they use Harry here. Lately, I've seen less and less reason to have Harry stick around, even though I like James Remar, but tonight, we saw him be more of a father than we've seen him be since the flashbacks in Seasons 1 and 2.)