Dexter

Waiting to Exhale

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 07, 2007 on Showtime

• The Bay Harbour Butcher Case has begun.

With all the bodies found under the sea the press have nicknamed Dexter as the Bay Harbour Butcher and now Special agent Lundy one of the top investigators in America has come to Miami to catch the Bay Harbour Butcher Dexter hasn't let any of this get to him and he still continues to go after Little Chino and find a new dumping ground for him When he manages to kill Little Chino he dumps him on a stream that will take him past North Carolina In the end Rita gets the truth off Dexter about him setting Paul up and it leads her to think that Dexter is an addict and Dexter admits to it but Dexter is back to normal after he has put his brother behind him and now he will move on.
  • Dexter learned that he must find closure and let go of his brother so he can continue to kill.

Pretty good.
  • A World Without Them Written by Clyde Philips Directed by Marcos Siega

Rita: "Dexter I didn't ask for your advice".
    Dexter (to himself): "I don't know why people can't just deal with death".

It's a good question and there are a multitude of answers. Why is Rita so affected by the death of her ex-husband? The same guy who went out of his way to make her life a living hell. Out of all the emotions she should be feeling, shouldn't relief be the biggest one?

Guys like Paul are leopards and there's nothing or no-one that can change them. Sure he might genuinely care about Cody and Astor but not enough to stop terrorising Rita and file a false report against. I know there's probably a part of this storyline that should make feel some compassion for Paul but I refuse to.

His death has also caused something of a rift between Rita and Dexter but that's not the reason why I won't sympathise for him even in death. Rita's not stupid and eventually she would've caught on to Dexter's suspicious behaviour but I do hate the fact that it was a scumbag like Paul who had to enlighten her. I'd almost rather it had been Doakes.

In times of grief, you tend to take things out on those you love. Rita spent some of her time venting her anger at a funeral home but Cody and Astor also picked up on her stress and alerted Dexter. When he stopped by to see her, I did think she was going to go off on one. Rita strikes me as someone who's also capable of an explosive temper.

There are times when you wish Dexter would get a clue about the emotions of some of the people around him. Rita was pretty hostile with him throughout the entire episode and not for one second did Dexter think it was anything more than grief. In fact she was rather livid when Dexter suggested that the state bury Paul rather than she did.

With this I can see both sides. Paul isn't a person Dexter cared about. To Dexter and pretty all of the audience members, Paul had no redeeming qualities so at the end of the day, Rita and the kids were better off without him. I think despite admitting to Deb last week that there were elements of Paul she missed, Rita knows that she is better off without him.

Unfortunately with the can of worms that Paul has left in his wake and Cody and Astor's feelings, Rita's not thinking straight. She practically has to guilt Dexter into coming to Paul's funeral and when Dexter does show up, Rita ignores him for the most part.

Of course towards the end of the episode she does finally have it out with Dexter. It's one of those intense but non shouty confrontations that worked pretty well on shows like Six Feet Under. Dexter just sits there as Rita tells him that Paul told her about Dexter hitting him and leaving a shoe behind.
    The only problem with this scenario is that Rita mistakenly thinks Dexter is a drug addict. After all how else would he have been able to cook heroin to get Paul out of it? I'm no drug user myself but I don't think it's rocket science either and wasn't it somewhat reckless of Dexter to let Rita believe he was an addict.

He couldn't get out of that he hit Paul and dragged him back to his hotel but he could've gotten out of the drug part if he had kept his mouth shut and insisted he had nothing to do with it. I don't think Rita wanted to believe that Dexter was a drug addict and given that Paul was one, it wouldn't have implausible for Rita to have bought that. Paul did try to rape Rita before Dexter assaulted him.

Of course Dexter probably thought that by allowing Rita to believe that he could get her off his back. We all know that Dexter is beginning to feel the heat from different angles already. Rita finding out that he isn't as pure as the driven snow couldn't have come at a worse time.

Seeing as Dexter is so good at faking stuff, he'll have to work overtime to really convince a rehab programme that he's an addict and if the likes of Doakes gets wind of this I can imagine more craziness ensuing as well. Dexter did make a point of noting that all his secrets were beginning to surface.

That leads to problem number two – those delightful corpses found in the last episode are Dexter's handiwork and with the Miami met and the feds working together, our newest serial gets the title the Bay Harbour Butcher. It's not got quite the same ring to it as the Ice Truck Killer but it's a neat twist.

Last season Dexter was hunting for his own brother without knowing and now he's got his own colleagues hunting for him, including Deb. Seeing a photo of Rudy stirs memories for Dexter and Deb who are having a hard time dealing with things. Having a big cheese like Frank Lundy also over this case could create problems for Dexter too.

Played by Keith Carradine, Lundy seems like an okay enough guy. Nowhere near as annoying as either LaGuerta in her first few episodes or Captain Matthews in the latter half of Season One. However he still manages to create some ripples by effectively Doakes to leave him alone when the angry Sergeant tries to get on his team for the Bay Harbour Butcher.

As for the Rudy stuff of the episode, it's ghostly appearance for the most part. In the conference room Dexter sees Rudy photo talking to him and at Paul's funeral, Rudy is also talking to him. Dexter denies feeling guilty for killing Rudy but you can't help but think that Dexter is protesting too much.

In flashbacks we see things from Rudy's perspective. Harry picks up Dexter but effectively abandons Rudy. I didn't think about it before but why did Harry just up and abandon Rudy? If he hadn't, could Harry have prevented Rudy from becoming a vicious sociopath? You do wonder that things could've turned differently for Rudy if he had a similar support system that Dexter did.

Dexter isn't the only one with Rudy on their minds – Deb naturally has her own issues to deal. She's still living with Dexter and she also has to face the consequences of her bar assault but more importantly she still has people reminding her that she was screwing the Ice Truck Killer and has problems trusting men.

On the men front, there's a cute gym instructor who tries to help Deb with her punching. While she doesn't end up punching him, she does freak out a little when he gets a little too close to her. I have to praise Jennifer Carpenter's performance as Deb slowly struggles to rebuild her life.

Even in the working environment while Deb is able to get some answers on a drug bust, the only reason it comes to be is when she loses it with Joey Nunez and points a gun at him. Angel warns Dexter about Deb's erratic behaviour and Dexter resolves the issue by letting her stay with him for a little longer.

Another major factor in this episode is Little Chino. The vile scumbag managed to escape ending up in Dexter's slide collection in the season premiere and managed to get Eva killed without the cops being able to point the finger. This worked in Dexter's favour as it made him more determined to take the guy down.

However second time round, Dexter still had difficult. Little Chino arranged for a few mates to be there when Dexter tried his luck and it was only when Joey was next on Chino's hit list did Dexter actually get lucky. Well there is that thing about third time lucky and it applied here with Dexter.

Little Chino made a lot of noise about Dexter being as bad as him for killing him. In any other series, the hero or good guy of the piece would take this into consideration and either changes their mind and let jail be the option or go ahead with it and feel bad for doing. You could pick any hero you like; right now I'd go with The Doctor seeing as that recent Dalek/Davros altercation is playing heavy in my mind.

The great thing about Dexter is that he doesn't feel that way and has no problem with ridding the world of Little Chino. Dexter even comes close to gloating before dismembering Little Chino. I know I probably shouldn't support but it's nice to see that Dexter's performance anxiety was a temporary thing. Something tells me, he'll have worse to slay this season than Little Chino.

As for Maria, it seems I might have jumped the gun with her and Esme. I was hoping they would become allies to spite Tom but it seems that Maria is looking out for herself and seeing as Esme is allowing her personal life to conflict with her professional life, Maria has good opportunity for sabotage.

In fact she tries her hand at blackmail with phone records and Esme has to appeal to her better nature to stop their superiors from getting them. If Esme is smart, she'll have realised that Maria is a slippery creature. If Maria's smart, she'd work with rather than against Esme but Maria doesn't strike me as the type of woman who plays well with others.

As for everyone else, there's isn't much to go on. Masuka gets a few snappy one liners, Angel is still babbling out new age stuff and Doakes is still following Dexter. If Doakes isn't careful, Dexter will be able to use this brand of stalking to his own advantage. Right now Doakes has nothing other than suspicious and hatred of Dexter for his behaviour.

Also in "Waiting To Exhale"

I take it there are no fans of Whitney Houston then? I was half-expecting one of her songs to pop up given the title.

Dexter (to himself): "Where is the orderly, controlled Dexter? How did I lose him? How do I find him again? I'm drifting but not to sleep".

In a surprising moment in this episode, Deb actually asked Dexter if crime scenes get to him. Later on he sounded genuine to Angel when he admitted that he couldn't go there with certain thoughts.

Deb: "This stuff doesn't get to you".
    Dexter: "I'm more of a crying on the inside kind of guy".

Angel (re Eva): "Seeing her that way. Can you imagine that?"
    Dexter: "I can't even go there Angel".

Dexter got visibly confused when Cody went up to him during the funeral and asked him if he was going to be his new father. It would've been interesting to see how Cody would've reacted had Dexter said yes.

Lawyer (re Little Chino): "People tell me you're looking for my client".
    Masuka: "People told you right".

Gabriel: "Was that a yes or a no?"
    Deb: "It was yes but it sounded like a no but yeah".

Anyone else laugh when Dexter muttered to himself about not killing his sister? Now, that is very sibling like.

Deb (re brief case): "What **** **** left that there?"
    Lundy: "It's Special Agent **** ****".

Woman: "How many is a few?"
    Deb: "Three but one is a two parter".

Not only did Deb pull a gun on Joey but she also made him pee in his pants. Deb's also scary when she's angry.

Rudy: "I'm not sorry. I never left".
    Dexter: "I killed you".
    Rudy: "No you just took my life".

Rudy: "It's human nature".
    Dexter: "I'm not human".
    Rudy: "No you just felt it".

FXUK seem to be doing a lot of ads for the series Breaking Bad during the breaks for this show. I'm tempted to check it out.

Little Chino: "You kill me what do you leave behind?"
    Dexter: "A world without you".

Rita: "Part of me believes that with all of Paul's flaws, he paid the price for my dreams. Did you attack him Dexter? I understand. He attacked me".
    Dexter: "I hit him over the head".

Chronology: A few days after "It's Alive".

A very strong second episode, "Waiting To Exhale" timely sees Dexter getting past his performance anxiety and Rudy in enough time for him to be knee deep in other problems. Like last season, it's great that we didn't have to wait ages for things to kick as well as they do.
  • "Yes...I have an addiction"

Other then the final ten minutes, this episode was just more of the same from the slow pace episode that opened season two. The scenes that dealt with Pauls death were somewhat needed, but it felt like it took up too much time in this particular episode. Rita and Dexter didn't have a good connection in this episode until the very final scene that they had with one another at the end of the episode where Dexter told Rita about what he did to Paul at the end of season one. Dexter kills again, a two-episode arch which I'm sure won't happen again. I think these back to back episodes were very hard to put together. They felt different from season one, but it wasn't the kind of different you look for. Michael C HAll is still playing the part perfectly, the storytelling just isn't as compelling in the second season as it was in the very first of the show. There is a long way to go in season two however and many people say s2 > s1, so let's see where the show goes from here.
  • Dexter finally deals with the death of his brother and tells his girl a sorta truth.

I am so glad that dexter is finally dealing with the death of his brother. It wouldn't be much of a serial killing show without the killing. The guy he killed in this episode was massively huge. I wonder if he was really that big or if he was just filmed to look that big. I feel bad for Dexter's sister and all the issues that she is going through if I were in her shoes I would he going through the same. They didn't explore the dead bodies of Dexter's that they found I can't wait to see where that whole thing goes.
  • Admitting the problem

I think this episode in so many ways.. was to Dexter to admit his problems and work with it.

I really loved the scenes with Rita. I was so sure it is all going so wrong. I mean.. Rita was suspicious and then the all confront him thing. Dexter sitting there with that face and how Rita reacted. I think probably one of the best scenes. Very awkward but you expect it from Dexter in emotional situations.

Also the whole thing with Deb.. that was great development. Getting to that kid. That showed how scary she can be.

And bringing FBI in.. I liked that turn. So, this season will be hunt for Dexter? Sounds intriguing.
  • Third Time does the Charm...

Faily average episode not much happened...

Dexter failed to dispose of Little Chino in which resulted in the tragic death of a witness against him. He's determined to get it right the next time, but Sgt. Doakes is still following him in his off hours. With the discovery of Dexter's burial ground, a special joint task force with the FBI is established. Doakes hopes to join but is rebuffed. Debbie clearly has not recovered fully from her ordeal with the Ice Truck Killer but her use of excessive force results in a major drug bust.

Rita is having trouble coming to grips with the death of her Paul and she now realizes that Dexter set him up. In order to explain however, Rita thinks his an addict in which Dexter goes along with it; Rita suggests to take a 12 Step course to help him through
  • Dexter is great every time.

After the season finale, Dexter had tough times to move on. Over a month passed since Dexter killed his brother but in the first episode of second season, he had two preys but he could not kill them, his hands were shaking, his mind was somewhere else so he could not focus on what he was doing but in this episode, he confronted with his brother and Dexter is back. This episode was exciting with special scenes. RÝta wanted the truth about missing shoe and dexter confessed what he did to her husband but Rita thought he had an addiction and she was right although it is another addiction.
  • Dexter's back! So is Rudy...

The new season is picking up, and the storyline is slowly starting to unravel. Deb is finding it hard to face her demons, when the 'Bay Harbour Butcher' is linked to her ex-fiance and the man who tried to murder her, the Ice Trucker. Meanwhile, Dexter is dealing with the Ice Truck killer's death in a different way, and in doing so finally finds a way to let his brother Rudy go...

Season 2 is very different and the Bay Harbour Butcher case has brought a brand new side of Dexter out, the side of him which is afraid of being caught. This season has also shed light on Debra's inability to let others see what she is going through. After a breakdown in the previous episode, her condition becomes increasingly worse when she chases a young boy down the road pointing her gun at his throat. Meanwhile, Doakes is still on Dexter's back and Rita is becoming more distant from Dexter than ever following Paul's death.

"I have an addiction." Oh yes you do, Dexter.
  • A great eposide none the less

A great eposide none the less i wwas glad to see dexter back on track now that finally he knoows what's wrong and Dexter finally told the truth about his addiction, and even though Rita took it completely wrong, it was still a big step to say it out loud to another person. I didnt like that he told Rita the truth about Paul but I was surprised how rita handeled it and didn't blame dexter for paul's death. It will interesting to see what happens next now that everything about dexter is out in the open and he has a new enemy on his tail
  • Dexter gets back on track.

Well, it looks like Dexter has finally said goodbye to his brother, though that last scene was a real shocker. A bit like the ending of Carrie, very well done and written. I wonder whether it will be last scene with his brother, after all, we frequently get Harry flashbacks, so he might still appear in flashbacks.

Debs, on the other hand, is clearly not over things. Her pulling a gun on the kid was way over the top, even though it did have the desired result.

The new lieutenant is also having serious relationships problems, which is one thing. Using police resources to keep track of his phone calls is a whole different ballgame. I'm sure this won't be the last we hear of it.
  • What an addiction!

So Dexter finally told the truth about his addiction, and even though Rita took it completely wrong, it was still a big step to say it out loud to another person. I am glad he told Rita the truth about Paul. Not that he felt guilty about it, but just that Rita won't go thinking about it and Dexter always coming up with excuses or anything. Plus she doesn't feel 100% guilty for what happened to Paul. It will interesting to see where it is going with Dexter's body dump being found. This would make international headlines with the amount of bodies being found.
  • As things fall apart in Dexter's world... the light of hope begins to shine. then wackiness ensues!

Everything in Dexter's has been falling apart... he hasn't had a successful hunt in over a month... he couldn't kill a voodoo shaman who had been poisoning clients... and his last hunt, ended with his target's escape... furthermore, Doakes has been on his trail day and night... Deb has been living in his apartment, causing chaos in his neat orderly life... even his relationship with Rita seems to be on the skids... and on top of this, his old dumping ground is being brought to light, drawing the attention of not only the police, but FBI...

But this episode shows how he progresses from one of the lowest points he's ever been in his life... he begins to come to terms with his brother's death as Rita comes to terms with the death of her ex-husband, and as Deb tries to move past the whole "Ice Truck Killer" thing... great character development, action, and in general an excellent episode for the whole family!
  • Love it.

First of all, it was so great to see Rudy back (in some form). I didn`t think the character got a proper closure last season, its done now. Rita gets more suspicions and is now convinced that Dexter did set up her ex-husband. She knows Dex have an addiction but think that its "just" a drug addiction. I love where Rita turns from crying to actually laughing when Dex said he is addicted. Debra is still very much affected by her story with the ice truck killer and shows it on field. Meanwhile, the FBI agent comes to town to investigate on the "bay harbor butcher", which of course is actually Dexter. The latter is getting back on his game gain and finally kill little Chino. As was kind of sad cause I actually liked Little Chino LOL. He makes me laugh.
    No doubt Dexter still has it.
  • Huge step-up from the premiere.

This episode unlike the premiere didn't lose focus at all, and definitely did a good job developing the plot.

Since it's been a while I've seen this episode, I won't go in a deep analysis, but. I LOVED the way Dexter gave closure to Rudy. It was a pretty cool idea to "bring" him back. Huge props for the writers for that. I also like the storyline with Debra. I think that's some kind of a "sleeper" storyline that once kicks in, we all will be completetly astonished.

This episode while didn't feel anything like season 1, set up the stage nicely for the season(unlike the premiere) and created a new, different - but still as good as in s1 - atmosphere. That's it for now, I can't for episode 3.
  • Dexter finally gets over his performance anxiety and gives some interesting truths to Rita

Dexter just keeps getting better and better. It never seems to disappoint or leave one stone unturned. I felt really bad for him with his memories of his brother who he knew he had to kill but also who he knew was the one person who truly understood him and who he actually kinda misses. Rita wanting to give her ex such a proper funeral kinda sickened me, I understand wanting to do something for the kids about their father, but she still shows signs of being a battered woman who cares about someone who treated her like garbage. I was laughing my head off when Dexter and she came to the conclusion that he was an "addict" it was so funny cause you could see so well on his face he just didn't know what else to say! So funny, I feel like this aspect of the storyline is gonna be really hilarious through out this season. I feel really bad for Deb still trying to deal with what happened to her, especially with the pulling the gun on the kid thing, she obviously still needs help. I also was glad that Dexter was finally able to get Little Chino, I'm glad to see that he's back in action and I can't wait to see where things go with the Bay Harbor Butcher case.
  • Dexter tries to get back on his feet by hunting a criminal that escaped his grasp earlier. He is also confronted by Rita about his late night excursions. Also, Debra slowly unhinges and people start noticing that maybe she hasn't fully recovered yet.

what an amazing episode!! they just keep piling the pressure on dexter. although I'm a little worried that they played the plot line of the "bay area butcher"/them finding dexter's bodies a little too soon in the show's life, it nonetheless is extremely exciting for him and us viewers. I'm also glad dexter finally got his hands on the huge huge huge hispanic gang leader. such an amazing way he tracked him down at the end. I'm also glad that they are keeping the 'young' dexter alive through flashbacks. it helps us viewers better understand our favorite psycho Florida native.
  • Keeps getting better.

Good, solid episode. It's ironic that Dexter seems to wrestle with a lot of deep emotional issues for a sociopath. Can't help but wonder if his "half true confession" to Rita will force his hand later this season. Deb continues to be an interesting counterweight to Dexter's own coping, she's ripe for a nervous breakdown. She makes him more likeable. Other embedded story arcs are starting to emerge between the old female boss and the new. My money is on Maria to sell out the new boss to regain her standing as top dog in the department. Can't wait for the next episode.
  • Another excellent season 2 episode. This is proving to be quite the pivotal next step for Dexter.

Episode 1 of season 2 left you with some hard questions as it ended. What would happen now since Dexter's work had been discovered, buried deep within the ocean? Would his secret be made clear to the world? Would his step-sister disown him? These particular answers are left for later as we see just what Dexter is going through after killing his brother and messing up his very first kill after a month. Amazing character development here. You almost feel sorry for the man who just wanted to fulfill an inner desire, a desire so gruesome and reptilian, and seeing his world slowly fall apart as a new character by the name of Det.Lundy steps in to create the life of the 'bay harbor butcher' a living hell. All we can do is wait and see what happens as now Rita finds out more about Dexter, though something completely different than what we might expect.
    I'm patiently awaiting October for the return of one of the best TV shows on planet earth, if not the best. Highly recommended episode.