Diagnosis Murder

CBS (ended 2001)

Diagnosis Murder Fan Reviews (36)

• An absolute classic!

I love this show. If and when the show make it to the UK on DVD, I will love it forever! I am a big whodunit fan both of shows from the US and here in the UK. However, Diagnosis Murder is my absolute favourite of the bunch.
    The mixture of comedy and mystery holds the attention and the main actors play their parts wonderfully.
    OK, so there have been a few weak episodes over the 8 years the show ran but that's a tiny complaint for a show like this.
  • Missed

I sooooo miss this show, even though we do have loads of re-runs, it would be great to see Dick Van Dyke, his son Barry and the rest of the cast once again.

This show had some great episodes, which young and old alike enjoyed, as well as comedy and mayhem.

Bring it back!!!
  • The cast is great and the show never ceases to make me laugh, but it's so strange!

The cast is great and the show never ceases to make me laugh, but it's so strange! The characters interact really well together to create andinteresting and funny show. However the murder stories are kind of strange. It's always dumb luck that they ever solve the murder. And when does this doctor ever work? Don't doctors have really demanding jobs? Yet I like the show! Such a strange contradiction.
  • A must see classic

Diagnosis Murder stars Dick van Dyke as Dr Mark Sloan, a doctor and assistant to the police force. Dr Sloan and his friends aswell as detective son (played by real life son Barry van Dyke) work together to solve murders. Despite the fact that Dr Sloan seems to know every victim or murderer and every show seems to end in Dr Sloan orchestrating a plan to catch the killer red handed every episode, the format is never too repetetive and this is a great watch, with Dick van Dyke adding his usual humuor, obviously to cheer him up as a lot of the people he knows seem to end up dead.

As long you don't take the show too seriously, you wil enjoy watching Diagnosis Murder, as i do.
  • Great show.

Diagnosis murder is an awesome show. I always enjoy watching it. I still watch it when they show episodes no matter if I've seen the episodes before. The show's always full of action and of course he necessary romance. The actors did a great job in playing the characters. On screen, you could see they were friends off screen. I really like this show a lot. What's not to like? We have action, romance, angst, adventure, Sience fiction (thaink alienated), drama, humor and let's not forget, the show had Jesse ;) This is a show I won't forget easily. It's just pre relasing when you watch it.
  • Sometimes predictable, but very entertaining.

Diagnosis Murder starring Dick Van Dyke and his son David Van Dyke as murder mystery solving father and son with a little help from friends at the hospital - community general. A very successful show to reach 8 seasons, each episode will guarantee some laughs and entertaining moments.

Personally, I thought that this was a more recent show, maybe 2000+, I must say that I was surprised to learn that the show had first aired back in the 1990s. It would have been great to see the show go on further more, but it had a good run nonetheless.

I recommend for crime fans.
  • This series is the best ever. It is funny, sad, intriguing and very very capitaving. For anyone who has not seen it you are hooked from the first episode the last, you know the team are going to get their murderer but no story is ever the same.

Doctor Mark Sloan (Dick Van Dyke)and his colleagues,together with his gorgeous policeman son both on and off screen Steve Sloan (Barry Van Dyke(who also played St. John Hawk in Airwolf)investigate both usual and unusual murders, my favourite of which is Malibu Fire, closely followed by Retribution (1) and (2) in which Steve is on a life support machine after being gunned down by a prisoner who has a grudge against Mark Sloan. Steve does not recover until the final throws of the first episode, by which time his dad has been framed for murder and sentenced to death. Of course Steve, although on sick leave, sets out to clear his father's name.
    We are so lucky at the moment in the UK as we have the episodes on both BBC and Hallmark totalling three hours a day! Long may it continue!
  • The Sloan's are a father and son team that try and solve weekly who-dunnit murder mystery - they are helped in their investigations by the staff of Community General Hospital. This is a thoroughly entertaining show that needs to be seen to be fully appre

This show follows the staff at Community General Hospital, led by Dr Mark Sloan, attempt to solve a who-dunnit murder mystery. With the help of the police, and more specifically his son, Detective Steve Sloan, the pair manage to track down all suspects and using the clues left at the scene, apprehend the culprit.

In the UK this show is classed as a daytime drama, which often means it's not popular enough for evening viewing. I would tend to disagree - this show always provides compulsive viewing. The plots are often a little far fetched, and the guilty person is always going to be caught by the end of the show, but the way the show guides the viewer through the investigation is just so entertaining. The great characters, and light hearted approach to the script just adds to the shows endearing appeal.

This is a good all round show - it won't provide you with lots of plot twists like CSI, nor will it provide great action like 24, but this show does offer you a chance to sit back and relax, while watching a thoroughly addictive show...... and I've not even mentioned Dick Van Dyke as the lead role yet!!!
  • Diagnosis Murder is my favourite programme ever. Mark is so funny!

Mark and Steve make a great team but isnt Steve supposed to be the detective. Mark solves all the murders he should be the detective not steve!
    Amanda and Jesse help more than Steve all he does is jump on people to stop them getting away once Mark has solved the murder!
  • I miss diagnosis murder. I mean reallt miss it. And barry van dyke is sorta cute ya know. I think someone should bring it back!!!! here they stopped sending it. stupid. i miss it and i lovd it!!!!!!! ron

barry and dick has a father son ralationship which every father wants. and it is clear here. it`s full of action, and the good don`T always get whta they want. and the doctor is sorta a brother to barrys character, i think.
    love it. pretty much has it all.
    tiger-rj. having fun wathcing tv
  • Diagnosis Murder one of my favorites. Is it on TV anywhere now? If not, bring it back at the earliest possible moment!

Great detective show. Dr. Sloan convincing as doctor, Jesse convincing doc, Barry great cop. I like everyone on the show except the pathologist. I forget her name. Her character always angry, sarcastic, mean-spirited. I guess that was the writers\' idea of a \"strong woman.\" Why do almost all TV script writers seem to think any strong woman must be a virago, a Virginia Wolf type? Untrue!. A strong, secure woman is not afraid to be kind, respectful, vulnerable.Also didn\'t like the way Dr. Jesse Travis was always butt of jokes. Others on show were supposed to love him, but none showed any respect for him. Mean-spiritedness, ridicule, are never funny, just mean-spirited.
    That\'s my only complaint. Please bring the show back. I need my Dr. Sloan fix! Why was the show taken off TV?
  • Well, when I say nobody knows I watch this I lie, only one person knows I watch this....and she loves it too! We can be embarrassed together over being DM fans!

Diagnosis Murder is the type of programme that you really shouldn\'t like, but no matter how much you try to convince yourself that it is wrong to watch DM you hear that title music and just have to rush to the TV to see what mystery Dick Van Dyke and the gang will solve today. OK, I admit, some bits can be predictable, and the acting is not always the best, but hey, I still love it and nothing will change that!
  • Diagnosis Murder is a great murder mystery show.

I wish they would have kept Diagnosis Murder on. I don\\\\\\\'t know anyone else who watched it, but I loved it. At least they should have kept on playing the reruns, but they took those off too. 8( It was good and clean tv. Something you could go to to get away from all the dumb reality shows.
  • This is my all-time favorite show!

I love Diagnosis Murder; it is so great, so original, and so well done. Even though they sometimes tell you the killer at the beginning, it is still exciting to see Mark and everyone else put the puzzle together, while all the while you are putting things together too. It really makes you think hard and it also tells about medicing a lot which I will need for my future career. And Jesse is the all time cutest, blondest doctor. I love him! They are all great... sometimes Norman gets on my nerves, but that\\\'s besides the point. I watch it every day- it\\\'s on the Hallmark Channel for you peeps who want it back.
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE Diagnosis Murder

It may not have the effects of ER but it is still one of the best shows around. In the UK it is on in the afternoon which is a little anoying as i am at college during the day, but when i do get to watch it i love it. I love the characters, the plot lines everything, it is such a good show. Everyone should watch it at least once. It is such a good show, and is always changing. I would watch out with being friends with the characters though as there is the odd possibility that you could be murdered.
  • Amazing show with mystery as well as humor!

This show stars some fabulous actors. Of course we've got Dick van Dyke(Mark Sloan) and his son, Barry van Dyke(Steve Sloan) as leading cast but we've also got Victoria Rowell(Amanda Bentley) and Charlie Schlatter(Jesse Travis). Let's not forget Scott Baio (jack Stewart 'season 1-2), Michael Tucci(Norman Briggs) and Delores Hall(Delores). Apart from an amazing cast, the show has great plots that have humor as well as mystery, emotion, action... We see Mark solving more crimes then his son does but what would Steve be without their help? Which he gets whether he likes it or not which brings all of them in some interesting situations. It's a real shame this show has ended but nothing's forever!
  • Diagnosis Murder blew past my expectations.

Diagnosis Murder blew past my expectations. At first, I had expected same old same old plot development but twist after turn of excitement and action just way exceeded my expectations. Mind you, there were some problems (most discontinuity issues) that I don't have the time to mention but all in all, a solid 9.
  • Dr. Mark Sloan, along with his clever and courageous, as well as silly and compassionate, group of associates, solve some of the most baffling and suspenseful murders on mystery TV.

I love love love love love this show SO much!! I never miss an episode on Hallmark! I am a mystery buff and this show is my favorite mystery show of all time next to Murder, She Wrote!

Dick Van Dyke, still a fabulous actor, marvelously portrays the daring and witty "amateur detective" Doctor Mark Sloan. Full of humor and warm wit, along with incredible smarts and mystery skills, Mark Sloan is a wonderful detective, an excellent father for his son and daughter in the show, and a fabulous doctor. He's found the solutions to some of the most confusing and fascinating murders I've ever seen!

My favorite episode would have to be "X Marks the Murderer". Although slightly scary in its own ways, it was also a simply magnificent episode of the show. I certainly hope they keep on rolling with the episodes.

All in all, I give it a perfect 10! Diagnosis Murder rocks my world!
  • Terrific series. Great ensemble.

I have to admit to liking this show better when Charlie Schlatter was on it. No offense to Scott Baio, but the series didn't seem to click with him. While his acting was fine, I don't think the material suited the show (his past on the street didn't seem to work).

When Charlie joined they turned the show away from the streets and made it more what it was supposed to be: doctors solving crimes. Perhaps it was the type of crimes that changed as well. And it worked with the type of characters depicted on the show.

I can watch this again and again. The characters are very likeable and the plots are easy and fun to watch. I'm glad it's coming out on DVD.
  • why god why

for the life of me i will never understand why shows like this and murder she wrote were so popular. i could not stand them. i guess i just was not old enough to get it. here is an example of how cbs survived the 90's with safe entertainment. if it were up to me all the episodes of this show and murder she wrote would be locked up somewhere never to be seen again.
  • My summary is that more young people should watch this show, it helps people to realise what is really happening in the real world and anyone interested in making a career in medicine either as a doctor or a pathologist can get a few tips of this show.

I love this series it\'s just great, everything on the film is fabulous, the characters are so real and so positive they do everyting that a normal person would do in the situiations given. I especially love dr sloan he\'s just great he always finds the answer and he does it in the most funny ways. Dr Sloan has so many tricks up his sleeves that you dont no which hand to watch at all times.
  • When You Think of Great Murder Mystery Shows, Diagnosis Murder Comes to Mind

After watching this series for a good portion of my life, I am finally starting to discover through the reruns just how good of a show that this really is. Every single episode is intriguing and leaves you on the edge of your seat. The occasional movies were also great never straying far from the core of the series. I am glad that they have finally decided to bring this show to DVD as I know that there are a ton of fans out there who have been waiting for it for ages, including myself. If you have never watched Diagnosis Murder before, now would be a great time for you to start, especially with the release of the first season on DVD. 10/10!
  • Diagnosis Murder is a crime based show that Mark Sloan, whose played by Dick van ####, solves a crime within the one hour limit with help from Lt Steve Sloan, whose played by Barry van ####, Jesse, Amanda and sometimes by Jack.

i love this show because it has humor and it also has some serious parts between all of the characters. Everyone are very good actors and actresses especially the main characters, Mark, Steve,Jack,Amanda and Jesse. I also love this show because I like Steve,Jesse and Jack in their own unique way. I am not sure which episode is my favorite because I like different things in each episode that i have seen so far. I also like how Dick's and Steve's family members are guest stars on some of the episodes. Another thing that i like about Diagnosis Murder is that in different episodes, it shows the actors and actresses other talents besides acting. Like for instance,in the episode, The Pressure to Murder, it shows Jesse playing the guitar, which he can play in real life.
  • I give this television show a ten out of ten. If I were a film critic and this were a film I would give it four stars. This is my all time favorite show. Much more exciting and fun to watch then the so called reality shows. I give this show two thumbs up.

I love this show. I don't what it was that got me hooked. I used to watch it every Thursday night at eight o'clock. When CBS stopped showing it I got very dissapointed. I didn't think I was ever going to get to watch it again. Then I caught it on television at nine in the morning and I watched it then. Then again it wasn't on anymore. Then about two months ago I was flipping through the channels and caught it once again. They are all reruns but I love this show so much that I make sure I catch it every Sunday. I get to watch four great hours of this show. I would recommend this show to everyone. The plot and characters are great. I would deffiently love to find the seasons disc sets and buy them. This show is great.
  • Dick Van Dyke as a serious actor was better than I thought!

For the first few episodes, I thought it was wierd to see Van Dyke play a doctor, but this show really became one of the few major network shows that I wanted to seriously watch anymore,a trait I lose more an more as good TV series are cancelled and horrible reality shows pollute primetime. Diagnosis Murder became much better to me once Scott "Hey, I'm the one who killed Happy Days!" Baio left the series. The episodes just kept getting better and better. Dick and his son had a wonderful camaraderie, and the mysteries and characters worked very well. The Matlock crossover was my favorite, as are the cameo episodes where all the familiar stars return. I just wished the show lasted a lot longer. It seems as if it was taken away just as I was trully starting to enjoy it.
  • It is one of the greatest shows ever to be aired

I think that this show was great. the way the show was set up, it could have gone on forever. my favorite characters are Jesse and Dr. Mark sloan. I don't have one favorite episode but I think that the latter seasons had some of the best and most creative episodes. The shows that were two one hour shows can sometimes be watched on the hallmark channel. I was really sad when it was cancelled and i am even more said that PAX as stopped showing reruns of the show. if anybody knows of a channel that shows reruns, please tell me.
  • I have always loved this show, ever since I was a little girl. I'm just as big an addict now!

Though I'm really a fan of anything that has Jesse, I love the entire series. I bought the 1st season as soon as I could afford it. Now they just need to put out more seasons to satisfy my insatiable need. I always loved the formula of this series, and the father/son duo of Dick and Barry Van Dyke. I was a bit leery when they had the grandson's on, those episode's weren't quite up to standards, but otherwise a wonderful series I was sad to see go. It was quite understandable why it needed to go off air, I mean Dick was in his late 70's, and no man that age should have to deal with the rigorous time consuming schedule of filming a weekly TV show. But it was in the top 10 ratings throughout most of it's long run. It was something to be proud of. Especially when you consider it's star was over 60 for the entire series! Long live Diagnosis Murder in syndication! I will always be a devoted watcher, and I hope everyone else will too.
  • The adventures of a doctor-cum-detective Mark Sloan, who helps the police solve murders that they usually think isn't or have arrested the wrong person.

Running for eight seasons between 1993 and 2001, and along with five made-for-television movies, Diagnosis Murder saw Dick Van Dyke play Dr. Mark Sloan, a doctor at Community General Hospital who helps the police solve cases that usually involve murder.

This series is an average version of a cross between Murder, She Wrote and Quincy, where you tune in knowing that the murderer will be arrested in the end – a trait that most afternoon detective shows use. A few times though the murderer actually got killed, usually unintentionally.

Not one of the best shows around, but if there is nothing else on TV on a rainy day, then you can waste an hour watching this – is also available on DVD, but unless you are a die-hard fan, then I wouldn’t recommend it.
  • A group of doctors and a police officer all come together to investigate suspicious deaths and stuff.

I love this programme! Plainly love it. Dick Van Dyke is Brilliant! He really is. And i love trying to work out who murdered who because im into forensics and stuff so when they give you the clues and stuff. But i never seem to work out the whole lot. Sometimes ive worked out who done it, but not how it was done and vice versa. The reason i gave it a 9.9 was becuase sometimes you already know who the murderer is and although i still like them i prefer to try and work it out myself. Jesse is really fit too soits just like the show has everything for me! (if only it had aliens and supernatural beings). Although they did have the episode with the vampire that was good. A great show and even thought i was only 1 when it started i love it.
  • Diagnosis Murder starred Dick Van Dyke as a doctor/police dective who ran a hospital called Community General.

Diagnosis Murder was basically a drama but it had some humor to it to. It teamed up real-life father and son legend Dick Van Dyke and Barry Van Dyke as father Mark (Dick) and son Steve (Barry) This show got better with every episode I was instantly hooked, me and my mom always watched this show together, There was a few guest appearances like Matlock (Andy Griffith) and a few other. The season 5 finale was very shocking, not something I expected. I always expected the unexpected with this show.
< 1 2