Dinosaurs

Hurling Day

Aired Friday 9:30 PM May 10, 1991 on ABC

• "Hurling Day" is a holiday in which the son in laws get to throw their mother in laws off a cliff into a tar pit. Including Earl.

I totally agree with the guy that reviewed this episode before me.. this def. was a episode that showed a problem in every day life.
    Although, I don't know about you, but I found the idea of throwing your mother in law off of a cliff into a tar pit hilarious. The fact that the guys liked it so much just added to the comedy. Not that I agree with the idea, but Come on. It's a kids TV show. YOu have to be able to live a little when it comes the to mental picture of an old lady getting thrown off of a cliff. =)
  • Following an old tradition, Earl is looking forward to hurling Fran's mother into a tarpit when she turns 72, but young Robbie, always the thinker in the Sinclair family, decides since times have changed, traditions do too.

Many episodes of "Dinosaurs" reference situations people face in every-day life, and this was another one of them. It shows that just because someone's gotten old, it doesn't mean that they're no good anymore. Too many people underestimate older people and assume they've nothing left to give, no reason to stick around, they're no use to anyone, which is why many of them end up in rest homes and are forgotten, when the reason they're old is because they've lived longer and seen and done many things in their lives and because of the long lives they've lived, they have such interesting stories to tell. Even though Ethyl is 72, she proves to be very lively every time she comes around, and it proves if she had been hurled, it would have been, as Robbie put it, a waste of a perfectly good old lady.