Caught On Tape

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2007 on FX

• Leakin' Lizards

I've been a fan of Courteney Cox for almost 15 years now, and I always thought she was a capable, pretty-good actress. That was until Dirt came along, and I realized that she's one of the most powerful TV actors around. Like Julian McMahon on FX's other trash-fest Nip/Tuck, Cox has made what could have been an irritating, obnoxious character into somebody the audience completely roots for, and absolutely loves, despite their questionable actions.

Lucy Spiller frackin' rocked it in Caught on Tape, and more so than any other episode. Cox completely puts across a woman who owns absolutely everything and everyone around her, and knows it. The one scene in this episode that proved that to me was when Julia was appearing on TV, blaming Lucy for the sex tape leak. Lucy's expression as she watched the TV screen was just plain awesome, and you just know she's going to calmly walk away and open up a can of kick-ass on the irritating nobody spouting crap about her. Lucy is, simply put, an amazing character, and can do no wrong in my eyes.

Caught on Tape is probably my favorite episode of Dirt so far, with a tense storyline and continued character development that should lead up to an explosive finale. Julia's public meltdown was great to watch, and it was entertaining to see how low she will go to get media attention, as well as the fact that we as an audience all know something bad is gonna rear its head soon for her. Laura Allen still irritated (especially in the embarrassing "ohmigod, my career's ovah!!!" scenes), but Julia's quickly evolved into one of Dirt's most entertaining characters, a complete turn-around from the tedious scene-destroyer she was when the series first premiered.

Meanwhile, Don's vision of a black-clad, ghostly Lucy proved to be one of the best visual images of the episode. Coupled with Marqui telling him that he needs to kill his boss, I literally cannot wait to see how all this unfolds next episode. If there was one tiny thing I disliked about this episode though, it was the appearance of disgusting fame-whore Perez Hilton. Considering he regularly trashes Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow on his site, I was surprised that Courteney Cox would give him time in the limelight, but thankfully his appearance was limited to one scene.

Exhilarating from start to finish, and featuring both great performances and awesomely quotable dialogue, Caught on Tape just blew me away, and proved that Dirt is so deserving of another season. "You're about as useful to me as a third tit". Ha!! Classic...

Director: Fred Keller