Dirt

Dirty Slutty Whores

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 09, 2008 on FX

• It was a fun episode, but it came off a bit desperate for me, but I still enjoyed it.

Milan Carlton: Her character is a parody of Paris Hilton. While the show took this episode to basically take real issues and just alter them a bit and make 40 minutes out of it, it still managed to be enjoyable. You can only imagine what type of situations Milan goes through and she was just a perfect replica of Paris, it was so surreal.

Jimmy Darby: His character is David Hasselhoff and Alec Baldwin in one package. Just think of stuff from these two celebrities that have affected their kids in I don't know, the past two years? I think it was a better move to just actually combine the situations of the two celebrities instead of having just one, it would all seem too dull.

Overall, this episode is something I'd like to see once every season, but surely I hope thy don't continue with this for numerous episodes.
  • This episode is for gossip mongers. The writers mixed up some celebrity stories and did not even try to be subtle.

I know - it is weird: I like this series but I don't really like gossip and celebrities. In this episode the writers mixed up the biggest stories of 2007 and did nothing more.

Actually - the title "Back to normal" would be a better title for this episode. The main story line has to make room for some stories which we already have read so much about. The writers do their best to give these unoriginal story lines a new twist - but it is nothing more than gossip. The main problem is: everything is black and white. In the first series Lucy and Don explored all shades of grey. But the drunken father is plain good, "Milan" is a f*** b*** and Lucy is courageous without any doubt. Obviously the quest for Lucies father is forgotten. The only silver lining was the end. It is unauthentic, unbelievable, unlogic - but it is worth a laugh.
  • London, Paris, Milan

The Milan Carlton storyline was hugely trashy and obvious in who it was spoofing, but I actually really liked it, at least more than I did the Anna Nicole story in the season premiere. Elisabeth Harnois was hilarious in the role, and any decent Paris Hilton hater would crack a smile at the sight of Milan getting sentenced to public lashings in whatever Middle Eastern country she was in. I was actually expecting her to be taken out by a firing squad, but I guess even that would be too insane for Dirt.

One interesting moment was Lucy telling Don that she loves Milan Carlton. I liked that they were alluding to the fact that somebody in Lucy's position could never actually dislike somebody like that, since without famous starlets like Milan in the public eye, she'd have no magazine.

Elsewhere, we had an Alec Baldwin/David Hasselhoff spoof involving a middle-aged sitcom star (played ironically by Tom Arnold) who yelled at his daughter over the phone and crawled drunkenly around on his kitchen floor while his daughter videotaped it all. Sure, this story was fun, but I can't help but feel a little cheated by the writers. I'm not a huge fan of "ripped from the headlines" stories on TV shows, and I can't help but feel bad for the people writing this stuff. What's so amazing about writing on a TV show is that your ideas are able to be acted out and watched by millions. Just retelling real-life news stories that by now are extremely outdated just doesn't sound fulfilling for the people behind the scenes. And it isn't hugely entertaining for the audience. I really hope they ditch all this stuff.

One thing I'm growing worried about is the lack of any real arcs so far. Maybe I've become spoiled by the arc-heavy plotting of Dirt's FX siblings Nip/Tuck and Damages, but shouldn't at least some arc stories have been set up by now? I really hope Dirt doesn't get too bogged down in its celebrity-of-the-week formula, as the whole show could suffer as a result.

Director: Stephen Kay
    Writer: Joel Fields
    Rating: B
  • Paris Hilton, Alec Baldwin and David Hasselhoff are skewered in this episode, which finds Lucy and the staff of Dirt covering an heiress arrested for drunk driving and jailed and a verbally abusive tv star yelling at his daughter via voice male.

I absolutely loved this episode. I must admit i had given up on this show last season, but tuned in after i read some actually positive reviews about how the show has shifted tone and is actually better. And, of course i had to see what happened to Lucy. I was really surprized at how good the show is now. I am glad they got rid of all of the side stories and Don's hallucinations and are now focusing on the stories and cuthroat tactics of getting the story in a wickedly funny way. This show makes fun of the tabloids, but fills your appitite for trash and camp entertaiment, which is the reason tabloids sell in the first place. This episode was so funny by obviously roasting Paris Hilton, Alec Baldwin and David Hasselhoff. It was so wicked because of how obvious it was, basically all they did was change the names!! I actually found myself laughing and totally enjoying every minute of it. I also love the relationship of Lucy and Don, it is really sweet at times. This is what I was hoping Dirt was going to be when i first saw advertizments for it season 1. I really hope they keep on track.

I am so glad that FX gave this show a 2nd chance and the creative people listened to the critical reviews and improved the show. I hope it finally catches on because this was truly entertaining. You gotta love Courtney Cox as Lucy.

I really love the tabloid graphics introduction on the opening titles, def sets the tone and is really fun. Just one thing I hope someone listens to is that they should get rid of the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song and use Lupe Fiasco's "Superstar" instead. The lyrics "Are you are what you say you are? a superstar. Well have no fear the cameras hear and the microphones, cause they wanna know!!!" That would be perfection!!!!!!!
  • David Hasselhoff, Paris Hilton, and Alec Baldwin are parodied in this episode where a sitcom star both berates his young daughter viciously via voice mail and gets drunk and eats cheeseburgers on the floor. Plus a party girl heiress gets arrested.

5.5
    I'm still longing for the days of the strange and almost beautiful halllucinations of Don's schitzophrenic zenith, but I was mildly amused with this episode. I thought the Paris Hilton-like character was amusingly witchy and devious and the PR-guy coaching was enjoyable. The drunk sitcom dad was all right, nothing overly intriguing. I still want to see more about the fallout from Julia's death. I feel like a golden opportunity was missed by skipping over it so fast. We missed any potential weirdness this could've caused between Holt and Lucy (it has to be a little awkward when your lover's ex tries to kill you) and a more intelligent way to humanize Lucy. It feels like it was a clever plot line that got dropped before it reached fruition and now the importance of it has been played down so much I'm beginning to wonder why I found it so interesting in the first place. Holt is still almost non-existent in this episode and Willa's plot, now that she suddenly isn't headed for the top, is a yawn fest. I have absolutely no interest in the new reporter and I'm praying the endless parade of ripped-from-the-tabloids stories isn't taking over as the meat of every episode. Where's the drama? Where are the love triangles? The drug use? Secrets begetting secrets until one is so wrapped up in the web that every movement sends shivers of consequence rippling out? Holt felt guilty in season one for what he did to Kira and, later, to Julia. Where's his remorse now? He seemed to understand that his accident contributed to Julia's fall then. Does he not similarly equate the accident with the first step leading to Julia almost killing Lucy and then dying as she fled the scene? Is he not a bit angry or guilty to find that his new lover sold out his old lover and indirectly caused her demise? Do people in this show have any feelings anymore or are they all just walking caricatures? Not to mention that certain lines made me wonder if the writers' strike really is over or if the Dirt writers are still busy manning the picket line. When Lucy makes the unorginal and obvious statement about trying to figure out how the heiress' father will use his money to get her off, I was perplexed as to why she'd say "Did I just say that? I'm a little turned on." What about that statement was so viciously cutthroat or overwhelmingly insightful?

While I admit to being entertained tonight (gotta love our Paris doppleganger getting three lashes), I still don't feel like I'm watching the same show I did last season. Currently, Dirt has all the depth of a puddle. Here's hoping we eventually get a little deeper.