Dirt

Dirty Slutty Whores

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 09, 2008 on FX

• London, Paris, Milan

The Milan Carlton storyline was hugely trashy and obvious in who it was spoofing, but I actually really liked it, at least more than I did the Anna Nicole story in the season premiere. Elisabeth Harnois was hilarious in the role, and any decent Paris Hilton hater would crack a smile at the sight of Milan getting sentenced to public lashings in whatever Middle Eastern country she was in. I was actually expecting her to be taken out by a firing squad, but I guess even that would be too insane for Dirt.

One interesting moment was Lucy telling Don that she loves Milan Carlton. I liked that they were alluding to the fact that somebody in Lucy's position could never actually dislike somebody like that, since without famous starlets like Milan in the public eye, she'd have no magazine.

Elsewhere, we had an Alec Baldwin/David Hasselhoff spoof involving a middle-aged sitcom star (played ironically by Tom Arnold) who yelled at his daughter over the phone and crawled drunkenly around on his kitchen floor while his daughter videotaped it all. Sure, this story was fun, but I can't help but feel a little cheated by the writers. I'm not a huge fan of "ripped from the headlines" stories on TV shows, and I can't help but feel bad for the people writing this stuff. What's so amazing about writing on a TV show is that your ideas are able to be acted out and watched by millions. Just retelling real-life news stories that by now are extremely outdated just doesn't sound fulfilling for the people behind the scenes. And it isn't hugely entertaining for the audience. I really hope they ditch all this stuff.

One thing I'm growing worried about is the lack of any real arcs so far. Maybe I've become spoiled by the arc-heavy plotting of Dirt's FX siblings Nip/Tuck and Damages, but shouldn't at least some arc stories have been set up by now? I really hope Dirt doesn't get too bogged down in its celebrity-of-the-week formula, as the whole show could suffer as a result.

Director: Stephen Kay