Dirty Sexy Money

The Watch

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 28, 2007 on ABC

• good episode

I love the flashback format of this episode. We get to see the past from mainly Dutch's point of view. He was devastated when he found out that Brain was his son and went to try to talk to Nick, but Nick didn't want to talk. Finally, we figure out which of Tripp's kids is not his. I wasn't expecting it to be Brian, but it makes sense. Brian is definitely my favorite character on the show. Jeremy is still lying to his girlfriend - I don't really like this story lines. It's not original and not interesting. Karen is now taking a liking to Simon, so that'll be interesting later on. Overall, good episode with great character development.
  • Best Episode of the Season

Nick and Brian are at the courtroom they end up loosing the case after Brian the Ediot bribes arbitrator. Back at the house Nick, Tripp and Letita discuss in how to handle the situation.

We Also see Dutch in flashback episode, we see him with Letita. She tells him devasating secret that he has father a child and that Brian is his son, Meaning Nick has a Brother. Karen pays a visit to Patrick in the hospital. As Karen is about to leave, Simon arrives to discuss business with Patrick. Simon invites Karen for dinner for a possible joint charity project.

Jeremy continues to pretend hes someone else instead of a Darling, Ellen tells Paddy to end the Affair with Carmelita. He later tells Carmelita that he gonna give her up.
  • Excellent, just excellent.

This episode was pure gold. If only it was a little better paced in the beginning it would be a 10/10, but still, easily worthy of a 9.5.

The fact that we finally see Nick's dad through flashbacks is great. I just think that the writers did an AMAZING job showing his tragedy. I have to admit I got really uncomfortable during the scene where Dutch begs Nick to accept his watch. That was really heartbreaking, very well. BRAVO.

In general, the flashbacks were great. It's a bit too over the top for me to except a Tripp/Dutch scene, but I would like to see a few of those in the future! Tripp cannot stop repeating how much he loved Dutch for what he has done to Tripp, and that's great.. but I want to see. Anyway, this episode was a huge development for Dutch, despite him being dead, Brian, and Letitia. Letitia is a backround character, and this doesn't change that, but at least she got some depth. I still think that what she did to Tripp is VERY unfair and unethical, but this episode makes me understand her a bit more.

Brian - where do i start? Amazing. The other key scene - Brian giving away the watch to Brian Jr. - that was just perfect. Shows how much his character changed during only 9 episodes.

Nick's and Brian's dialouge in the church was very well executed too. I liked how subtle it was - you just expected Brian to eventually break down and accept Nick, but it was done in a very belivable way.

All considered, an excellent episode of the show. Very memorable.
  • Family secrets are revealed and lives are changed forever in this fast paced episode that evokes sympathy and even a bit of humor.

In the beginning it was a guilty pleasure; then it was a morality play; now with the pivotal episode "The Watch" Dirty Sexy Money has become in my perspective a full-fledged drama to be reckoned with.

Let's get the minor scenes out of the way first and move on to the meatier ones. The aftermath of Patrick's recovery from his wife shooting him and the scene of Karen's burgeoning affair with her father's hated arch-rival Simon were filler, plain and simple. The levity of the episode was found in Jeremy's obsessive pursuit of Sofia who doesn't know that he is a Darling so one lie leads to another and before you know it he is in so deep he turns to Lisa for help, which she so willingly provides. Their scenes are fresh and it looks like the two get very cozy in next week's Christmas episode.

OK, the remaining scenes were electrifying thanks to the writing, the direction and the impeccable performances turned in by Glenn Fitzgerald (Brian), Jill Clayburgh (Latitia) and guest star Peter Strauss (the late Dutch George). Nick and Trip have their moments as well but Strauss' return to television in this role is a welcome sight after gripping performances 30 years ago in his breakout smash Rich Man Poor Man and then later on, Masada. For weeks the tease has been which of the children were not Trip's but rather the fruit of Latitia's on-going affair with Dutch? Flashbacks give texture and context to the mystery while allowing the audience to witness some poignant and painful moments for Latitia and Nick. What should have been to no one's surprise is that the one Darling which is Nick's half-brother turns out to be Brian. To date Brian has garnished little sympathy as he usually appears sullen and cynical. Now we understand. Even tho he didn't know the truth, in a riveting scene, he confesses to his mother that he has always felt estranged from the Darlings, a contention Latitia vehemently denied. That's why he went to seminary, Brian says, because he just never felt like he fit in.

Nick finds Brian sitting alone in a pew with the scene opening up with Brian praying. Actually it's more of a statement than a prayer. "You have some sense of humor" he says wryly. After telling Nick that he still hates him and this newly revealed brethren status changes nothing, Brian softens a bit and asks him to stay. Then comes one of my favorite quotes that appeals to me as a minister. "That's what church is for; dragging a ruined past through a messy present to a perfect future…" And he's right! The last time Nick saw his dad alive, Dutch gave his son his father's watch, which then Nick gives to Brian which he initially refuses but then changes his mind and in the last heart wrenching scene we see why. Brian takes off the watch and gives it to Brian Jr. as the tyke is whisked off by his mother far away from anything smacking of the Darling dynasty. The tears flow freely between father and son and perhaps for the first time we the audience feel sorry for Brian. What some may feel is emotional manipulation I do not. I saw the scene as real and powerful. Why does this episode move me so? Combination of factors. One, I too am a minister who at times has resorted to marital and professional malfeasance. Secondly, my own family held secrets from me as to my own parentage. My birth father abandoned his wife and four children two weeks before I was born. When my mother re-married her new husband quickly adopted me and gave me his name before I was old enough to realize what was going on. It would be years later when I was 11 or 12 before I forced the family to fill in some gaps.
  • so many layers in the episode for me.

There was so many layers in the episode for me. Nick and Dutch - finally seeing their dynamic and the pain between them moved me; Dutch & Letitia - you know, she really is a piece of work. I feel like she is more shady than Trip; Nick & Bryan - from the first episode I always felt like they were like 2 brothers fighting; Bryan & Letitia - she has no idea how much she hurt him. Nick was so stunned and hurt as was Bryan. The church scene had me moved, but the end with Bryan Jr was too much for me - I was a weepy fool.
  • A heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Way to go! Wow!!!

A heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Way to go! Wow!!! Just when I thought this show would end up as another superficial, sappy, soap-operatic drudgery of network television, I was truly caught off guard by something special. Tonight, a great show got even better, in an episode that aspired to the level of cinematic greatness.

What an emotional rollercoaster--this show had it all. Laughs, tears, suspense... One of the most impressive aspects of this show is, that it plays with stereotypical expectations and manipulates them into pure television watching joy. Was it predictable that Brian would be Nick's brother? Probably. Did that make this episode any less enjoyable? Definitely not. Bravo ABC, lets see more television like this!
  • This was one of the most touching episodes of the season.

I absolutely loved this episode! I cried at the end when Brian Jr. got taken away from Brian. Everything was carefully written and cleverly excecuted. This was the saddest episode of any series. The scene in the church with Nick and Brian was very emotional. I honestly thought the twins weren't Tripp's but I guess I was wrong. Everything was great in this episode. I'm giving it a 9.9 out of a 10 only because I thought it would be a little more suspensful due to the promo. If you're going to watch this episode of Dirty Sexy Money be sure to have tissue box with you at the start.
  • Nick's brother is revealed...

...and it's Brian, the priest! That's who I thought it was, and i'm glad I was right. I really didn't want it to be Karen or the twins. There wasn't much bonding between brothers here, but Nick did give Brian his father's watch, which he gave to his son, whom he had to say goodbye to, and tha was sad to watch. I was really hoping that he would be able to keep his son, but maybe some other time.

Karen and Simon Elder are kind of together now, I guess. That's a little strange. Maybe it will be over before it starts though, next week.

I really want Jeremy to tell Sofia who he is, she already likes him so it couldn't hurt, but he needs to do it soon before he digs himself any deeper with the whole painter thing.
  • Review

I thought the episode was really good, but there wasn't too much to the epiosde other then the blockbuster reveal thar Brian and Nick are really brothers and Brian isn't apart of the Darling family of trouble-makers. Juliet has pretty much been written out of the show, with nothing of use to be doing right now it seems. I dont mind much, as I didnt really like her character anyway. Patrick scenes in the hospital wasn't anything new or exciting. It was the same old my wife v my girlfriend boyfriend storyline that we have seen since the beginning of the show. I liked all of the flashbacks that the show used, I thought they were all pretty important to the overall plan of the show. Jeremy Darlings storyline was comedy at its best and I thought that was a fantastic filler part to the episode. I thought the scene with Nick and Brian in the church with the watch and then Brian giving it right back to his son was comedy and memorable at the same time. Overall, I thought the episode was very well put together and I loved the ending with Brian saying goodbye to his son. Looking forward to the big episode next week...