Disney's Hercules

(ended 1999)

Rtkat3

Disney's Hercules Fan Reviews (14)

• About this series

This had wonderful performer for James Woods in 1999.
  • Fans of the movie will rejoice in the excellence of this show based on the movie

Disney's Hercules is by far one of the best movies to ever be shown. It introduced me, and many others to Greek mythology, and mode it fun for all. After the success with the movie, somebody thought it would be a good idea to make a spin off TV cartoon. Now normally spin offs on movies or TV shows tend to fail. Look at The Cleveland Show and Planet Sheen, but this series actually does a great job staying to the movie. The show is about Hercules in his continuing training to be a hero, and dealing with teen life. Now usually teen issues in a cartoon sound terrible, but Hercules makes it fun to watch with its lovable characters and excellent humor. It makes me wonder why most shows couldn't be like what Hercules did with teen issues. It makes teen issues fun, and makes teens to come over their issues. Unlike recent teen shows like True Jackson, or iCarly, or Sonny with a Chance, this show doesn't add stupid and melodramatic drama to it. The entire cast from the movie is here. You have Hercules, Phil, Pegasus, Zeus, Hades, Cassandra, and so on. Everyone is here, and are still just as goofy and funny like in the movie. The plots are great, and really good. Some are a little predictable, but they are mostly original ideas. The artwork is excellent and stays true to the movie's characters and set designs, and the animation is superb and flows very smoothly in this show. The humor is really good, and each character will make you laugh, especially Hades. My only complaint is that this show only lasted 7 months. I really think they could have kept going with this show, but I guess the creators were running out of ideas. If you haven't seen the film on this series yet, do so, and then see this show.
  • A godly follow up to a fantastic movie.

I say, spin-offs usually never work; they flub up the characters, kill off important ones, mix up ancient Greece and Rome, etc. This one refuses to do any of that, and successfully manages to get almost everyone (even the minor gods/goddesses!) back for a family reunion of sorts--even Hades and the Muses! It just goes to show that a good spinoff works--and that we get minor-character centered episodes for once--like the Aphrodite one, the Hera and Zeus-centered finale, and many more episodes that keep you reeling on the edge of your seat. Get rid of Hannah Montana, bring this show back!
  • a good disney cartoon

the show disneys hercules was about heruclues growing up as a teenager and a hero intraining like from the disney movie. and it showed him stoping bad guys and myicle animals and monsters that were from the movie. and he would go through problems and thing he had to deal with like fighting with his father zeaus all the time. the show was not on that long but i still thought i was a good disney cartoon that reminded me of the disney animated movie hercules. and that is why i give the show a 7.0 because it reminded me of the movie and i really enjoy disney
  • This show is a lot of fun!

True there is the canon problem of Hades knowing that Hercules is alive, but on the other hand the show wouldn't be as much fun without James Wood's sense of humor. Icarus - and eccentric but loyal guy who flew too close to the sun - and Cassandra - a gloomy but friendly psychic who keeps foretelling doom - are great additions and I wish they were in the movie. I also love the humor, especially with Icarus and Pain and Panic. It's also great that they made references to other Greek mythologies. The voice casting is also brilliant, especially since they use a couple of my favorite voice actors: David Hyde Pierce (Daedalus) and Dom DeLuise (Bacchaus)!
  • had everything i wanted in a cartoon, then and now.

i liked the movie very much, i liked each epsiode as much as the movie. i like Greek mythology, and the show was filled fat with it. lots of great actors/actresses: Betty White (Rose from Golden Girls) ,Vince Vaughn, Jason Alexander, Reba, Idina Menzel ,Regis Philbin, Jennifer Aniston, Jenifer Love Hewitt, Lisa Kudrow (blonde from F.R.I.E.N.D.S) have guest starred.
    singing in some episodes, sounds cheesy but they were kinda catchy. and sung by the lovely, gospel Muses.
    good characters; real nice, heroic demi-god Herc, hero-in-training while common teenager.
    crazy, funny, lovable Icarus- Greek legend he tried to fly with fake wings, didn't work, in the show he lived through with slight brain-damge as Herc's bestfriend and stocker of Herc's girl-best-friend Cassandra. Cassandra is a gloomy oracle, scarcastic and i liked her alot. Icarus is in love with her-she is very annoyed with it- it was one of the best elements.
    Herc's hero-trianer was a grumpy Satyr (half.goat.man), orinally Danny Devitto and his Pegasus(flying horse) was also so friendly, like a dog almost. and there was some moronic, arragont prince and the always funy Hades, lord of the dead, voiced by James Wood.
    Hades wasn't the only God, Zeus, Aphrodite, Herems, Artemis, Apollo, Neptune, Athenta ect lots of famous, misunderstood monsters too.
    a very good show, miss it a lot, wish i could see them again, and the ones i havn't seen before.
  • one of Disney's best

Hercules, was down right hilarious, the movie was great, I like pain and panic, one of my favor quotes for the movie is Hades: (to pain and Panic "I have 24 hours to get rid of this bozo and you are wearing his merchandise") the series picked was about Hercules as a teen, it still had the laughs of the movie though.
  • What to say about such a great cartoon? They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Hercules earned a special place in my heart. The characters were all great, the writing was pretty crisp and funny, and most of the time, the animation was good. I believe that there were one or two plotholes with the whole show's concept (from what I vaguely recall about the film), but the show was just so entertaining I stopped caring. Hercules is such a well-rounded char with believable flaws, and he's just so darned likable you can't help but root for him. Hades is a rare villain, one who has a great sense of humor but can still be evil and menacing too. I actually enjoyed the series far more then the feature film. Disney should totally put this show out in DVD.
  • Take a gander at the main page ;)

Sadly there wasn't enough of this show for there to be much to say. I will say for what was there it was a great 'sequel' to the movie in that we got to know more about Herc's youth. It's always fun to get to know the characters, if only they wouldn't end it so fast!
  • Outstanding series.

6.9
    I loved the movie and love the series. Another Disney hit series that's well worth watching. Though the movie is definately way better than the series, I would absolutely recommend to most anyone to watch the series. Herc as a bumbling teenager struggling to become the hero that will get him back to Mt Olympus. Excellent.
  • The movie was great and so was the series!

The Disney series for Hercules had the same original comic style as the movie.

The Disney's Hercules is set during the time between Hercules training to become a hero and thus a god. After the series ends is where the original movie picks up.

This program is interesting and only because of where the characters were compared to the movie. It's quite interesting to have a series based on a movie only to have it begin in the middle of the already created movie. That seems like quite a task and of course Disney pulled it off with flying colors.

This show is highly recommended for children, young teens, and overall loyal Disney fans.

• Hercules was a well rounded children's show that introduced the young to greek mythology.

Though the story of Hercules and other mythic beings are really changed in this show. I still felt it caught the essence of greek mythology.

The voice acting was nice, and having actual well known celebrities doing much of them was a rare and nice touch.

My only complaint of the show was the character of Hades. Granted..he was a good villian. But his own story was very very badly mangled and mixed with the aspects of Christianity's Satan too much.
  • Summary of show and why we love it!

Disney's Hercules was on of the many Disney produced animated comedies of the mid to late 90's. The show is basically a pre-qual of the feature length movie staring Hercules on his quest to find out the true him. The over all plot of the movie is as follows: Hercules, son of the Greek God, Zeus, is turned into a half-god, half-mortal by evil Hades, God of the Underworld, who plans to overthrow Zeus. Hercules is raised on Earth and retains his god-like strength, but when he discovers his immortal heritage Zeus tells him that to return to Mount Olympus he must become a True Hero. Hercules becomes a famous hero with the help of his friend Pegasus and his personal trainer, Phil the satyr. Hercules battles monsters, Hades and the Titans, but it is his self-sacrifice to rescue his love Meg which makes him a True Hero. Disney's Hercules became an animated series in 1998 Disney's Hercules premiered as part of The Disney Afternoon. The show sadly, was low in ratings and the first 52 episode season was thought to be the last, but Disney decided to give it another 13 episodes and cancel it as their 65 episode limit without being able to say that they didn't try. The show actually taught a lot of Greek history to its viewers which most would learn in later years of their life with they attended middle school and high school. The show was just as humorous as the movie -- if not more. From the opening sequence to the ending credits viewers will love every minute of Hercules and the well balanced characters. It really puts things in perspective that kids thousands of years ago still battle the same every day issues as kids today and that they are no alone. Disney's Hercules," like the animated series "Disney's The Little Mermaid," is based on his teen-aged adventures, though, unlike the series, it is not a prequel to the film of the same name ("Disney's The Little Mermaid" featured tales of a 15 year old Ariel which occured before the start of the theatrical film). Nor is it truly a sequel like "Disney's Aladdin" (whose tales takes place after the events from the original film). Rather "Hercules" features events which occur midway through the actual film, during his years in training on the Isle of Idra under the tutalage of Philoctetes (Phil) the Satyr. Many of the Olympian Gods and Goddesses only glimpsed during the film pay visit to they young hero-to-be, but are they around to help or hinder him. Hades is definitely around to hinder him. Since events occur before young Herc meets and falls for the lovely Megara (Meg), he is joined by two new friends Cassandra (comedienne Sandra Bernhardt) and Icarus (French Stewart of "Third Rock From the Sun"). The main character of the series are Hercules, the hero in traingin; Cassandra, the would be today goth that can tell the future, Icarus, the hopeless and obsessed best friend of Hercules who loves Cassandra. Disney’s Hercules had the Greek god still in geek god mode, before his “Zero to Hero” transformation. In the series, “Herc” was enrolled at Prometheus Academy, a school for both gods and mortals. Winged stallion Pegasus was still around, as was Philoctetes (“Phil”), who was as feisty as ever. Other carryovers from the film included Herc’s dad Zeus, winged messenger (and now budding journalist) Hermes, god of death Hades, and Hades’ incompetent minions, Pain and Panic. In 1999 the series ended after two seasons and a total of 65 episodes. The series has left very little impact on the animated television indrsty since it never got the publicity it deserved. Today Disney’s Hercules can be seen on Toon Disney at 12:30 A.M and 6:30 A.M (Eastern). The show has yet to be released to VHS or DVD except for one newly released DVD in the U.K featuring episode of Disney’s Hercules and The Legend of Tarzan. If you enjoy Disney’s Hercules then you will also enjoy Disney’s The Legend of Tarzan which currently airs on Toon Disney at 9:30 A.M (Easten time) as of August 2005.
  • Goood