Doctor Who

A Good Man Goes To War (1)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 04, 2011 on BBC America

• Not the cliffhanger we wanted, but the road to it is definetely worth it.

We were promised an action packed mid-season finale with a mindboggling cliffhanger that will hold us in suspense for the following couple of months, when Doctor Who picks ups again. A Good Man Goes To War got half of that right. Literally every second of this episode is used to its full potential, as it stretches out a narrative that could easily fill up a feature length movie. The build up to the Doctor's reveal at Demons Run was great, his assembled army was awesome, and for an episode that introduces at least a dozen new characters, it manages to keep its pace and not fall appart, even though it bursts at the seams. The visuals were stunning and the sets amaizing. The Moff's ingeniuos writing once again shines as he screws with the audience more than once with a couple of red herrings here and there that could very nearly make you fall of your chair. Where the episode ultimately dissapoints though, is the end. Sure, River's big reveal is big and it will have change things forever for Amy, Rory and The Doctor now that they know the truth, but it wasn't what we wanted to see revealed. We wanted to know who River killed, why was she imprisoned, how did she know the Doctor's name and most of all, are they married? With all the hype behind the big reveal, not getting even a mention of those things sure is a letdown. Which, unfortunately, makes the big cliffhanger seem a bit hollow, despite the grand nature of the reveal. Still, it was one hell of a rollecoaster ride to get there, with Matt Smith once again stealing the show with an absolutely brilliant and spot-on perfomance. Looking forward to seeing the wrap-up to Season 6!