Doctor Who

A Good Man Goes To War (1)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 04, 2011 on BBC America

• A good man goes to war? Was it really a war?

Something about this episode really wound me up! So after the whole 'flesh' incident where upon it was discovered that Amy was one and that she had her baby on a spacecraft where the woman with the strange eye patch was. It is here on this space station (I think...) where there are humans and strange ominous figures called the Headless Monks. What really annoyed me was the bit where Rory speaks to the cybermen and the ships blow up behind him. The entire point of the doctor is he doesn't ever kill that's why children watch it with their parents and adults without children can see what the doctor does without weapons.

We are then introduced to a lot of characters we do and don't know from previous episodes like the lizard woman (sorry I can't remember the species) who seemed familiar to me but yet I couldn't put my finger on her. A soltaran medic who doesn't have many lines and a fat blue man who I think is connected to the hooded monks so can track them down. River however won't appear until an opportune time later.

This is all a very muddled and chaotic episode to me and doesn't really have much going for it in my own mind and I have tried to take favor in it I really have. There's always the bit I love however when they all say "We are not fools," before being proven otherwise. The enemy also did not feel like a worthy advisory since they were overpowered in seconds before a counter attack by the monks and Amy's baby has a secret of its own...

As for a rating I can't give it any higher than a seven at its best and not as low as a five so lets go for the one in between. 6 and I really do hope that after this episode the following will still get me involved as much as previous episodes have done.