Doctor Who

A Town Called Mercy

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 15, 2012 on BBC America

• The Wild, Wild West

It's 46 years since the Doctor visited the wild west in the 1966 serial "The Gunfighters" though the show itself has moved on a millions light years.

I must admit I started watching this episode with the feeling I was not going to like it, as I'm not really into cowboys, but this one is good. In fact it is more than good.

The setting is perfect; not a quarry in sight, no dodgy ply-wood scenery and rich colour rather than the washed out look one sometimes gets.

Karen is never better than when she has a strong part to play. rather than playing the compliant companion when she tends to go all powty-wowty. What other companion could you imagine pulling a gun on the Doctor, well maybe Donna Noble, and then put everyone in their place when the gun starts firing.

The main plot finds the Doctor faced with a dilemma; does he give up a war criminal to save the people of the town, or should he take into account the good he has done for those townsfolk. Others take the easy way out of his hands.

A great episode aided by the fact that this series is unhindered by any need for a story-arc. The departure of the Ponds (sorry, Williams), the arrival of a new companion at Xmas with all the speculation which is rife after the first episode and the fact that next year is the 50th anniversary make this the most awaited and exciting series ever. For the mement it has not let us down.