Doctor Who

Aliens of London (1)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 16, 2005 on BBC America

• The Slitheen possible the worst enemy ever, pull down an episode that potentially had lots going for it.

There was lots of potential to this episode. Taking a real look at those left behind after the Doctor whisks away another companion. Unfortunately they used one of the worst alien enemies, the Slitheen. I understand this show is a family show and children are a primary part of the audience but fart jokes should not be the only bit of comic relief throughout. What is an interesting idea on paper, an alien ship crash lands with the Doctor trying to unravel the spectacle of the whole thing, coupled with an interesting comment on the fact that what the Doctor does by attracting companions can have negative affects on those around, becomes childish because we have a juvenile enemy who hardly acts like a worthy adversary. Why they felt that this story needed two parts is beyond me. Although they try to leave you on a cliff-hanger the fact that they immediately follow it up with a trailer that eliminates any previous notion of peril. What the Doctor is about to die, wait he is running around next episode; wait Rose's moms is in trouble, no she is also alive; so much for that build up.