Doctor Who

Asylum of the Daleks

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 01, 2012 on BBC America

• A welcome return to Doctor Who

(Spoilers ahead.)

There's a lot to like about this new season, here's some of the things I enjoyed about the first episode of the latest season of Doctor Who. I'll talk about the technical side of things first, then move on to the story elements.

Since season 5, Doctor Who has been noticeably more beautifully shot. But now they're playing with angles and being more creative with the camera in more ways than they ever have, and it really helps create the mood. Not only that, but they're using focus in visually pleasing ways. Not only does it look fantastic, but it does give the show a more identifiable tone and otherworldly feel, which I think is imperative for a sci-fi.

It looks like Doctor Who has got a big boost to it's production values too. Often TV will trail behind movies with their effects and sets, but Asylum of the Daleks show off some of the best I've effects seen in TV. Skaro looked fantastic, along with the Asylum, the Parliament, and the rest of the visual effects. It's important in sci-fi to not be removed from the world that the creators and writers are trying to immerse you in, and I think Asylum of the Daleks really kept us immersed in a believable looking world.

The music was great as always. There's some nice new compositions. I really enjoyed the dark eerie piece that played in the opening scene on Skaro. It really raised the tension. If there was one fault, I would say that the music seemed misplaced in the scene where Rory looks out the window to see where they are. Perhaps something different should have been used? But that's just me.

Matt, Karen and Arthur have brought the characters of the Doctor, Amy, and Rory to life and are characters that I will remember for a long time. Their characters have developed since season 6, which has shifted the character dynamics in this episode considerably. The character dynamic between Rory and Amy was particularly interesting, and also resulted in particularly darker topics than we are used to on Doctor Who being brought up. It was refreshing and dramatic, but also heartbreaking. Perhaps even more so interesting is the noticeable change in dynamic between Amy and Doctor. No longer is she the girl who was once so dependent on the Doctor. She seems irritated and angry, and reminds The Doctor that life goes on when he's not around.

However, Jenna-Louise Coleman stole the show as Oswin. She was great. Wonderfully written, and perfectly brought to life by Coleman's performance. She's a real joyful character and almost nothing can get her down. You can tell The Doctor really liked her also. What was interesting was how they almost had her character break the fourth wall. It was almost like she was talking to us as she looked directly into the camera. I loved it!

The story itself led to some really awesome moments. It was fun and funny (Rory's first interactions with the Daleks. The reversing Dalek). Had some intense action (Being chased by Daleks or Dalek Puppet is never fun). Frightening (Amy blindly wondering out into a swarm of Daleks, Rory sneaking past all those seemingly dead Daleks.) And there some emotional, tear jerking scenes (Rory and Amy's time alone, and the final scene with Oswin).

Overall I'm giving this episode a 9.5. A highly enjoyable return to the series.