Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• I LOVED this episode, even though it barely features the Doctor. The Weeping Angels pull people out of the present and thrust them into the past; then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them. CREEPY!

This is an episode that barely features the Doctor, yet his presence haunts the entire story. The enemy is pulling people out of the present and thrusting them into the past, forcing them to live out their lives long ago. The Weeping Angels then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them.
    The entire episode is filled with wonderful, spooky moments, and four wonderfully realized, spooky bad guys. The scene where the Angel in the living room is creeping up on Larry Nightingale was truly spectacularly frightening! The sequence in the basement, with the angels surrounding the TARDIS, presented with a strobe light-like quality, was likewise nerve-wrenching!
    As with any well-rounded story, there needs to be elements that connect you to the characters. I found many parts of this episode very touching, especially when Sally meets Billy again at the end of his life. I feel that we are supposed to understand that she was meant to have had a future with him (as hinted at by the character accidentally calling herself by his last name), yet not only did Billy lose all of these wonderful moments, so did Sally.
    Without giving away too much, this episode managed to feel like Doctor Who, yet also feel completely fresh and unlike any episode I had ever seen before. It was simply brilliant! It was a great spooky episode, and managed to be scary without resorting to cliches like cats jumping out of cupboards.
    This could definitely be on a Halloween Night must-see list!
  • Mighty Creepifying

Taking the focus away from The Doctor and Martha we see what happens when you get someone with a decent brain and an inquiring nature on the case of something a little bit beyond normal comprehension. Sally Sparrow with the slightly unfortunate surname referencing another Sparrow currently swashbuckling his way across the big screen looks into the case of a mysterious house and following a series of clues and mad coincidences leads her to something far more dangerous than she envisioned.

Meanwhile it seems that the Doctor and Martha got themselves stuck in 1969 and I can't help but feel sorry for those people that got trapped in times not their own. Especially the Detective, the Doctor could have saved him. Anyways the final scenes with the frantic staring at the statues along with the frantic attempts to get into the Tardis in the flashing darkness were some of the best scenes of the season, especially as we never actually see the Angels move. The conclusion was a good one, bringing the story full circle. And next week Captain Jack is back. Woo!
  • Beware the Weeping Angels!

This was a great episode! My favorite for this season so far! The statues were real creepy! The scariest monsters on Doctor Who, ever! The scariest part, for me, was not when the statues were going after one of the characters, but when they were going after the TARDIS in the police garage! Real nail biter!
    This episode was way better than last season's "Love and Monsters!" which was done in the same format, concentrating on characters who are not regulars! Can't wait for the next episode with Captain Jack! Looking forward to his first meeting with the new Doctor!
  • You live in Scooby-doo’s house...

Weeping Angels.... Lonely Assassins! I love it!!
    Sally Sparrow is a beautiful character. And her unusual journey is an extraordinary fairy-tale that involves all the time paradoxes that sci-fi fans are fuelled on.
    The character of Laurence was a humorous, charismatic, needy guy that was a pleasure to watch.
    This episode was thrilling for the geek in me...
    We were introduced to so many people whose life was touched by the Doctor...
    The seasonal episode where there is very little Who are becoming some of my favourite.
    Not because I dislike the Doctor, but I enjoy seeing lives touched and exploring that further.
    There is only so much time in a 45-minute episode to meet and greet the characters. I love that we at least once per year are allowed access to these wonderful individuals.
  • Loved it despite watching most of it from behind the cushion. Beware the next time you go to the garden center.

Doctor who is back on track with a great writtian episode.

I have to admit i was stating to lose intrest with the last few episodes, i just don't belive the Doctor and Marthas releationship, it just feels rushed and seems to have happened overnight, were with Rose we had those moments that built their story up.

So it was nice to get away from them and to have a episode were you worried about what would happen to the charcters, and was also funny, a little romantic, with edge of the seat tension and purely scary.

With the return of captian Jack in the next episode i hope its just as good.
  • an absolute gem of an episode :)

I was born in 1970 and one of my memories growing up was watching a great tv show dr who. I had never really bothered with the last few incarnations of the doctor till christopher eccleston reprised the roll in 2005 (this is an actor i have great respect for). I have not been disappointed with the return of this show, and i enjoy sitting down saturday night with my young children and watching it with them (as i had done with my dad). This last saturday we where busy so i recorded it and watched it sunday, boy am i glad i didn't miss this episode :) it was well written, well acted and fantastically put together - even the limited screen time for the dr and miss jones didn't cause any issues for me, for me so far this season this was the highlight episode of a great season. Bring on the finale :)
  • In love with Sally Sparrow

For an episode designed to give Tennant and Agyeman a day off, this one is fantastically cast. Carey Mulligan captures your heart and makes it hard to believe you won't be seeing her again next week. There really is nothing left wanting in any of the supporting cast, either.

She truly won me over in the scene when Larry realizes when he had met her before and gets a horrified expression, and she says with a gorgeous smile: "There it is."

Needless to say, when this episode airs in the States, a lot of sci-fi fans will be renting Pride and Prejudice, and wondering why there's not anything else with Carey Mulligan in it. I imagine there's a bright future for her career.

Best quote of the episode: "This is my timey-wimey detector, goes ding when there's stuff."

All in all, this sets the bar high for the rest of Series 3.
  • Excellent episode and well written, they just keep getting better!

Very good viewing. My daughters insisted on watching it then remained behind the cushions for the rest of the episode. Those scarey looking Weeping Angels are so much more scary than the Daleks! It's going to be hard to beat this episode but i'll definately be tuning in to see if they've accomplished it!. Statues give me the creeps now!!
  • Scary, creepy and just plain awesome.

It's hard to put my thoughts together for this episode, considering I've just finished watching it in the middle of the night and am now sitting in my very well lit room kind of creeped out still. I loved this episode so much I just had to get online and review it though I rarely do that.

That was absolutely the scariest hour of television I've seen in a good while - in the beginning the statues were already creepy, but by the end when the teeth came out? I shudder at the mere thought. I absolutely loved Sally Sparrow. She started out a stranger but as the episode went on, she just completely won me over to the point where I think she would make a great companion for the Doctor. I liked her so much I can even forgive how little of the Doctor there was in this episode. I also very much enjoyed all the little clues in the episode. The Weeping Angels taking both Cathy and Billy into the past and her getting messages from them was bittersweet. Absolutely one of the best, if not *the* best episode of this show. Just fantastic.
  • Bloody Brilliant - once again

Again, a fine example of why this season of DW is the best of the lot. the entire concept behind it was well thoughtout, filmed, acted, and cast!

While the absence of the Doctor was well-done, we see in the end that it all comes together when the final truth of it all is revealed to us.

Brilliant story, very Twilight Zone in nature, very informative in the history/timeline of the Doctor and his companion.

To see that even in the past, the Doctor relies on his companion to supply him with "life" is nice, resentful as she is about it on DVD, she is happy to be with him in any time and place. The beings were genuinly creepy considering they are everywhere in the European world - not so much here in the states, but it will make you think twice when you drive by the next Catholic cemetary with it's winged angels statues all about!

Well done Everyone - Cheers from America!
  • Amazing and terrifying.

The Weeping Angels are more scary than the Daleks could ever be, or any other Who villain I've ever seen, for that matter. This episode is marvellously well-written, clever, and like I said, absolutely terrifying. I might have actually hidden behind my couch, had I been near one. Instead I'm just going to be afraid of statues for the rest of my life.
  • Without a doubt the very best episode of the new Doctor thus far. Incredible writing, wonderful acting, and an amazing plot that kept you right up to the last minute.

While the Doctor is as well portrayed as usual by Tennant, the surrounding cast is very strong in this episode, made even better by exceptional writing that blows away any other show on atm.

If anyone rates this as anything less than a 10 they probably didn't see the episode. Kudos to all involved. I was very, very impressed. (Enough to write a review on TV.com, which I never do.)
  • See, it was good.....but....

I just felt we were missing something. Maybe it was too hyped as being the "scariest" Doctor Who episode in a long while. But I found it didn't even compare with the Satan Pit or The Unquiet Dead etc etc. Sure the angels and the blinking was a a great idea. But there was too much story in the build up to it.
  • What can i say what others have not?

As I said, there is not much I can say that others have not, but wow, this was a fantastic episode. One of the best since the new season started, Not only was the enemy excellent, but the way they went about the whole story, and of course an actual decent ending too, there is something to decent writing after all.

I think what did it for me in this episode was how the 'Angels' sent people back in time to different periods, but what i did not understand and this was my only gripe in all this, maybe I missed something with people talking behind me, but how did they get the Tardis Key and how comes until Sally went to the Police depot that they then only found it, maybe I am looking too deep into this. Overall it was a fantastic episode that I WILL watch again.

Hail to the Doctor!
  • Don't blink. An amazing episode that at the same time makes you want to keep watching and hide under the bed.

Blink is appropiately named because after while watching your episode its hard enough to blink, let alone look away.

The episode is sort of an ironic twist with the Doctor trapped in the past, leaving cryptic hints. A trail of breadcrumbs for someone he hasn't met. Creepy? Very. Despite being an Doctor lite episode this is no way subtracts from the experience, and Carrey Mulligan plays the part of Sally exceptionally well, and quickly goes from a stranger to a key character.

The episode begins with the Doctor leaving a message in an old abandoned house, which is to start with very creepy. The angel despite having done nothing at this point looks very ominous. The plot seems a whole lot creepier without the charismatic Doctor to make light of it, and this works to the benifit of the episode.

The television conversations are at first a little confusing but quickly become interesting and even humourus, the ending is at the same time scary and ridiculous i laughed at the "I'll rewind it".

The episode is very well cast with Billy in his brief but brilliantly played role. "Lifes short, you're hot", strangly true especially as he will die later that day. Nightingales excentric behaviour with his quotes like "You only own 17 DVDs?" both added to the episode excellently in my oppinion.

The ending had my heart beating, with the light bulb and the TARDIS disapearing without them. I was caught completely off guard by the Doctors ingenious method of trapping the angel s as i was expecting him to reappear and save them in a way i could not possibly fathom.

I think the ending of the episode slotted in very well and the whole "One Year Later" solution to everything as well as the talking to someone who hasn't met you yet. The closing slideshow of photos was scary and if i had a stone statue in my garden i would have almost certainly moved or at least looked at it.

Overal and amazing episode, i would even go so far as to say the best episode ever. If Martha does leave the show i think we may have just found a prime candidate for the next companion.
  • 'The angels are coming for you but listen. Your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. Good luck'(Spoilers)

Atmospheric, cleverly written and in places a little scary, Steven Moffat’s Blink was a particularly superb episode… and the relatively minor presence of the Doctor was really not an issue. In an old rundown house, Sally Sparrow finds a message for her underneath the wallpaper from a stranger called ‘The Doctor’ warning her of the Weeping Angels. Sinister angel statues are in the garden and seem to be moving… Via a message on a DVD, the Doctor tells Sally the truth about the Weeping Angels. They’re dangerous, deadly… and they have the TARDIS, stranding the Doctor and Martha in 1969. It’s down to Sally to save the day. But there’s one thing she has to remember- don’t blink… Vastly superior to last season’s ‘Doctor-lite’ Love & Monsters, this was great.

The short time that David Tennant has on-screen does not diminish the impact he makes. His stark warning to Sally about the Angels is chilling but is lightened by his description of time as ‘wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff’. Freema has even less to do, sadly, but at least she makes an appearance. And when the main characters are not the main focus of the episode, you either need a decent script or a decent guest cast to make up for it. Whilst Love & Monsters had the second, Blink has both. Carey Mulligan is great as Sally and would, under different circumstances, probably make for a very good companion. She’s intelligent, brave and can take matters into her own hands. What more could you ask for? The tantalising clues left to her by the Doctor initially can be confusing but they all make sense towards the end.

The rest of the guest cast all acquit themselves well, with Finlay Robertson particularly strong as Larry, the geeky net-head who is instrumental in helping Sally solve the mystery. His rapport with Casey was very good. Similarly, Lucy Gaskell and Michael Obiora are good in their roles as Sally’s friend Kathy and DI Billy Shipton respectively. There’s a few poignant moments- notably Sally and the aged Billy Shipton in the hospital which pulled at my manly heartstrings- and a few moments of good old-fashioned terror (notably towards the end when the Angels attack). Whilst not as scary as the little boy in The Empty Child, the Angels were nonetheless an unnerving adversary to go up against. The idea of going up against something that can kill you by sending you back in time to live out your life and die and that can vanquish you if you blink is a scary one. Plus there was a nice little nod at the end with shots of various statuary (most of which is based around Cardiff), which could mean the Angels are still alive… I bet a lot of kids will be checking any statues they pass for the next few days!

It could have been a disaster, but Blink was far from it. Whilst there are stronger episodes within the series for me, this is absolutely fine. And next week sees the return of the delectable John Barrowman! Cannot wait.
  • Great to watch (from behind the sofa!) as they finally make a good episode that relies heavily on the guest star.

Forget about Love and Monsters if you hated it! The concept is the same here; Shelly is suddenly thrown into an adventure that's not really of this world and the Doctor is absent for the most of the episode. That's where the similarities end. It's a fabulous story with really scary monsters. Was glad I just taped the episode and watched it in the middle of the day or else the angels would have haunted my dreams. Simple but frightening.

The cast was awesome, and the characters, though some shown only for a few scenes, were really well written. You actually cared about what happened to them. And no matter how Shelly's friend and the cop lost their lives in the present, they still had full lives in the past. Creepy and yet full of hope at the same time. The pacing of the episode was great, and there were those quirky Doctor Who moments. The DVD easter egg scene with Shelly was fantastic. I really enjoyed the way this time whatever would happen was the Doctor's future. The ending with him and Martha rushing off to slay another monster was absolutely perfect.

*applauds*

The teaser for the next week's episode was finally one that could call uplifting (instead of just some random scenes as it sometimes seems). Can't wait to see Ten and Jack in the same scene! /geek
  • I really can't think of anything to say that will sum up just how amazing this episode is.

I know that I tend to give out 10s quite freely, but this episode totally deserves it. I think this is possibly my favourite episode so far. The preview of this episode just didn't do it justice - I thought it was going to be terrible. I'm always wary about episodes that don't have much of the Doctor in - that's what the show is all about after all, but like last years episode (Love and Monsters?) it really paid off and turned out to be one of the best episodes of the series.

The whole concept was just brilliant. The angel statues were really creepy without being over the top. It's really simplistic yet so effective. Modern horror films could take tips on how less is sometimes more. It's got all of the things that make DW so fantastic for adults and yet is essentially a kids show.

I loved the Doctor and Martha's bits. Really well done. The easter egg concept was so good. Really modern and something the doctor would totally do. I can't really explain exactly why I love this episode so much. It's one of those where you just love it without being able to say exactly why. But I do love it, and I think that it is the best episode of the entire 3 seasons. Well done to the writer!

So I'm going to stop rambling and just say - watch it! It's so worth it.
  • A Girl Named Sally Written by Steven Moffat Directed by Hettie MacDonald

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “Don’t turn your back, don’t look away and don’t blink”.

Okay it’s the time of the season again where The Doctor and companion take a break and let someone else drive the plot while making their lack of presence felt and eventually addressed.

Last year the show pulled off this audacious stunt with the probing “Love And Monsters” which seemed to have left a bitter taste with some viewers and Torchwood’s attempts with a similar tactic in “Random Shoes” also failed to impress. You think with two failings with this format, the writers would make the decision to stay away from trying it again. Well think again!

The episodes opens with a young blonde haired girl staking out a creepy house in the middle of the night and just now that I’m starting to get into the Buffy Season Eight comics, the resemblance the young girl has to Sarah Michelle Gellar is a little uncanny to be honest.

Her house raid however is interesting and set the tone to this episode perfectly. While “Love And Monsters” set out to be self-analysing and goofy, “Blink” aims to be somewhat more creepy and when the lady question passes over some creepy Angel statues and rips the wallpaper off to find a message telling her to beware of the Weeping Angels by The Doctor from 1969, the stage is set brilliantly.

Anyone who got a cryptic message about Weeping Angels directly for them who probably either scoff or run for the hills but the girl in question is more determined to find out what the frak is going on and let’s just say Sally Sparrow is someone of a very curious mind.

No sooner is she calling her mate Kathy and then bumping into her mate’s nude brother but Sally drags her friend back to the very creepy house to do even more snooping than usual. Mind you, it takes very little to persuade Kathy who seems to have a curiosity streak every bit as big as Sally’s but you more or less knew that Sally was leading the girl to inevitable doom during her quest.

Now I’ll be honest and I’ll admit the first ten minutes of this episode start off reasonably slow but I was impressed that within the space of two minutes, not only did Kathy get sent back to 1920 when Sally wasn’t looking but Kathy’s grandson knocked on the door and was able to give Sally an envelope which she refused to open. Naturally Sally thought he was a quack.

However Kathy is something of a strange thing. In this world she’s really dead but she got sent back in time, had to adjust to a conservative era but managed to find someone she loved and had a family while laying pity on Sally and hoping her friend would be able to explain to her brother what happened to her without actually revealing the truth of course. Jumping from 2007 to 1920 and back to 2007 we then have to see Sally do a bit of old detective as her intentions from trying to explain Kathy’s disappearance to Larry then shift when she sees The Doctor on DVD trying to communicate with whoever was watching him but was mostly being paused by a none the wiser Larry.

It’s a genius idea having The Doctor in this state because while it’s painfully obvious that he’s trying to communicate with Sally, his attempts are at first ignored in favour of the girl trying to figure things out for herself. To lighten the mood Sally also has fun teasing Larry for his nude streak the night before she finds out that The Doctor’s message seems to be spread out through 17 unrelated DVDs.

After Sally made her excuses about Kathy, some genius then told her to go to the cops in regards to the creepy goings on within the West Of Drumlins house and it didn’t take much to figure out that the cops would be dismissive of Sally’s theories but luckily we’re spared some incredibly clichéd dialogue and the arrival of DI Billy Shipton only further moves the plot along.

Billy works as a character quickly with him filling some blanks and noting that the same house has had a slew of cars just abandoned there as well as Billy showing Sally the TARDIS and lamenting about not having the very key to open it. When Sally took that key of one of those Angels earlier on, I knew it belonged to the TARDIS. Clearly those things want it but why?

If there was some light flirting with Larry, then the flirting Sally receives at the hands of Billy is a lot more rampant and rather cute too might I add. Carey Mulligan is really impressive throughout this entire episode and Sally’s chance of meeting the guy she could’ve made a life with is cut short by those nefarious Weeping Angels.

Yeah Billy becomes victim Number Two and soon enough the poor lad meets up with The Doctor and Martha. Seeing as with “Love And Monsters” we had to wait until the last ten minutes before Ten and Rose showed up, there needed to be a pretty good explanation as to why The Doctor and Martha couldn’t help and the one we got here was satisfactory enough.

Keeping things simple, our Timelord and his companion managed to get themselves trapped in 1969, by what I presume is the doing of those pesky Angels. As per usual The Doctor gets a bit overexcited and starts spouting off while Martha gives Billy a sympathetic “smile and nod” speech. Billy was hoping to score a date with a beautiful girl, not get stuck in a period where Neil Armstrong has yet to land on the moon.

If The Doctor was using Kathy and her grandson to get a message of help to Sally, then his later attempts by getting the girl to visit a much older version of Billy in hospital would prove far more effective.

Easily the most poignant part of the episode, Sally who obviously quite fancied Billy had to meet a much older version of the man she could have married and there was a tremendous interplay between Mulligan and Louis Mahoney with both actors giving it their all. Regardless of whether this was an episode you liked or not the one thing that is undeniable about this Doctor Who is that the writers really make you care for the guest stars and Billy’s death was really sad I have to admit.

Still though it only helped with furthering the plot and that’s the great thing about this episode, things really keep moving a lot and soon enough Sally knows the DVDs are meant for her. That makes sense bearing in mind, The Doctor managing to write a warning to her from 1969 after all. With enough clues and consequences for an episode of Miss Marple, Sally’s only course of action left is to get the DVDs from Larry along with a portable DVD player and then watch them at the creepy house. Okay I could say this time Sally sort of knew she was gonna put someone else’s life in danger but she really did need Larry’s help and I guess a part of her wanted to get some justice for Kathy as well.

The real fun of the hour is then listening to these particular Easter Eggs and having The Doctor then answer and converse with both Sally and Larry as they begin to figure out what is going on.

The sheer essence of fandom is another thing this episode shares in common with “Love And Monsters”. Anyone who is reading this review is a fan of Doctor Who or just curious and despite what most of us would like to think we all have some level of fandom so when Larry talks about scripting The Doctor’s messages and coming up with his own theories, it’s something you can essentially identify with. Basically what Larry is doing here is what I do nearly every day in regards to the plethora of TV shows I love. Does it make him sad? You know what, no it doesn’t! And in case you’re wondering it really isn’t that sad to be vocally fandom.

With Martha being slightly disruptive during one of those messages, the biggest information dump in regards to Weeping Angels is dropped on us and once again after the malicious Family Of Blood, this lot are also an unconventional threat.

First off all, the Weeping Angels kill their victims only when they blink at them and the death they choose is to put their intended in another era where they have to die naturally and can never return. The Doctor saying their execution is almost kind could be a telling statement but when looked at this lot freeze into rocks and therefore cannot actually be killed. That part is definitely the most interesting of the bunch. The next part proves because after The Doctor warns Sally and Larry not to blink, four of the Weeping Angels are quick enough then to attack the duo and once again, some major acting is required by both Mulligan and Finlay Robertson as not only does Sally try to find a way out of the place but she also has to stay alive, keep Larry alive and then head down to the cellar in order to get to the TARDIS.

Maybe it’s not surprising that the very thing these Angels want is The Doctor’s spaceship but at the same it’s a hell of acting for Sally to get to the TARDIS and then get in with Larry as the Angels wreck havoc with the lights but luckily enough the girl is clever enough to actually get in there.

However instead of simply going back to 1969 with the TARDIS to retrieve The Doctor and Martha as soon as the machine is operated, Sally and Larry are booted out and once again look like they could face death in the past. Heck these Angels even tried to knock the TARDIS on it’s side in order to get at it so it is rather surprising but cool when it’s revealed that the Weeping Angels are now positioned to look at one another instead.

As you’ve noticed this doesn’t mean that they are dead but it’s a sufficient stalling tactic and a year onwards a more coupled up Sally is only able to move on from her experiences when she happened to chance upon seeing the very man who sent her on this goose chase to begin with.

The Doctor and Martha’s appearance at the end is a bit random and there is the thing of him not actually remembering Sally but he’s more intrigued with the girl’s certain Intel and gratitude than he is fighting a lizard. As for the end sequences with all those statues and The Doctor’s “don’t blink” running around? Enough said!

Also in “Blink”

Did anyone notice there was no dialogue in the opening tease? Even with only one character seen in it, it’s a first I think.

Kathy: “Sparrow and Nightingale, that so works”
    Sally: “Yeah for ITV”.

Sally had started an entire dossier on that house and the Weeping Angels even before Kathy’s disappearance. Sally (re Kathy): “Told me you were eighteen, lying cow”.

Larry: “We’ve met haven’t we?”
    Sally: “It’ll come to you”
    Larry (remembering being nude): “Oh my God”.

Steven Moffat never really explained what got Sally onto that house in the first place.

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “People assume time is strict progression of cause to effect but actually from an non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff”.

Sally: “Okay what’s the big question?”
    Billy: “Will you have a drink with me?”

A nickname The Doctor dubbed the Weeping Angels was “Lonely Assassins”. This lot also feed on stolen moments too.

Billy (to The Doctor): “What in God’s name are you talking about?”
    Martha: “Trust me just nod when he stops for breath”.

Billy (to Sally): “Look at my hands; they’re old man’s hands. How did that happen?”

Martha mentions seeing the landing on the moon four times and it’s becoming apparent how exciting she’s finding her travels with The Doctor.

Sally: “I’ve seen this one before”
    The Doctor: “Quite possibly”.

Sally (re The Doctor): “This is impossible”
    Larry: “No this is brilliant”.

It’s a creepy moment when we see these Angels actually make faces. They give the Clockworks Droids and Gas Mask kid a run for their money.

Sally (to the Weeping Angels): “I know how this works, you can’t move if I can’t see you”.

The Doctor and Martha randomly chasing down a monster at the end of this episode is exactly what The Doctor and Rose did at the start of “Love And Monsters”.

Larry: “Some things you never find out and that’s okay”
    Sally: “No it isn’t”.

The Doctor: “What was your name?”
    Sally: “Sally Sparrow”
    The Doctor: “Good to meet you Sally Sparrow”.

Chronology: We’ve had 1920, 1969, 2007 and 2008 this week. RTD needs to sort out what year is Saxon’s election – is it 2007 or 2008?

A couple of things Steven Moffat said about “Blink” I can now easily answer. First off I have no idea how this will fair in “best of” polls for Doctor Who episodes but I will be incredibly surprised if the hostility for this episode is anywhere near the same as “Love And Monsters”. Now I liked that episode but this one was easily better thought out and executed. As for Sally Sparrow being the best companion ever, if I didn’t like Martha so much I would insist on The Doctor bringing the resourceful Sally along. Carey Mulligan was excellent and what could’ve easily been a gimmick episode just worked superbly. I love that this show has no qualms with taking risks and with efforts as wonderful as this, long may it last.
  • The Doctor and Martha are trapped and need help, from someone in the future (or the present, depending on your point of view)

This was announced as a Doctor-light episode, meaning Tennant had more time to film on last week's two-parter and was not going to appear as much in this episode.

That may very well be the case, but this is still a quintessentially Doctor Who episode with a brilliant script and a great protagonist. It displayed a wonderful approach to all the little intricacies of time travel and meeting people that have met you, but whom you haven't met.

Sally is a brave character and it was very nice that her friend had a great and happy life starting back in 1920. On the other hand, it was very evil yet fun and typically Doctor Who, to end this episode with lots and lots of statues and I'm sure children all over the UK will be watching statues for any sign of movement!
  • wow, just wow

This episode is another Doctor-lite episode, like Love and Monsters last year. The biggest difference between the two episodes is that Blink is actually good. No, scratch that, Blink was amazing.

There was no stupid monster and most importantly, no Peter Kay so that has already made Blink a better episode.

Blink was also a truly creepy episode. The weeping angels were absolutely terrifying. Yes, I know that I am a scardey cat and am afraid of anything even slightly scary but this is only the second time that I have ever been scared by a Doctor Who monster. The other was the Gas mask child from series one. It's probably not a coincidence that those episodes were writtien by the same man.

I liked the way the Doctor was taken out of the story and you didn't really feel like he was missing. The girl who played Sally (sorry I can't remember her name) was really good in the part. I liked her.

Can't wait for next week, Jack's back :)

ten out of ten
  • Blink and you miss it.

The silent assassins that turn to stone whenever they are observed. They send people back through time to live out their lives in the past, consuming the energy left in their place. Personally I found this incredibly chilling and realistic, unlike many of the alien creatures in this series. Stone angels can be sinister even in the daylight sanctuary of a nearby church, and this was played upon well. The idea that they are actually alive and are only inanimate when you observe them is still haunting me now.
    I loved all of the characters and the way the story played out - the angels sneaking around the house, Kathy disappearing. It really brought across the concept of time as a 'big ball of wibley-wobbley ... timey-wimey ... stuff.' Billy made a sweet impression and brought across the element of tragedy, meeting Sally as an old man during the same rain that they had first met in. It really made me think about the concept of time, and how life is gone in the blink of an eye.
    The DVD Easter Eggs and Larry as the geeky sidekick brought the humour, also making the story that much more intrinsically linked. It was also believable and I loved the idea that The Doctor, Martha and Billy had set up a publishing press in order to get the message across to Sally. The ending was also brilliant - Sally was still dwelling on the events of a year ago, while they hadn't yet happened to the Doctor yet. Larry still as sweet and geeky as ever. And back to the very beginning - the Doctor's message. Sally proved a lot by realising that she was the source, really, of their saving. As a Doctor-lite episode it could be compared to Love And Monsters, which many people disliked. However I think this episode far surpassed all expectations heaped upon it - a tremendous achievement given the success of the previous two-part story. It was fast-paced, witty and involved.
  • "Don't turn around, don't look away, and never, ever.. Blink."

This weeks episode doesn't feature the Doctor much at all - infact, at first (I missed the first few minutes, including the introduction) I was almost certain I was watching a Torchwood episode. But no, it was more like 'Love & Monsters', where the Doctor helps out but the story is not based around him.

Basically, The Doctor is stuck in 1969 without his TARDIS, which means he cannot travel forward in time. Sally Sparrow is investigating an old building when she finds "Beware. Beware of the Weeping Angel. Duck. Duck, Sally Sparrow! The Doctor (1969)" written on one of the walls. She ducks, just avoiding a rock that had been thrown at her! Looking around, you can see a statue of an angel, with hands covering its eyes.

Sally visit's a friend, Kathy Nightingale, and asks her to come and investigate with her. She agrees, and they make there way up to the mysterious house. Once they reach the 'weeping angel', Sally notices that it has moved closer to the house than the day before. She then questions Kathy about the writing on the wall "How did this man know my name?". Then there is a knock at the door. Sally goes to answer it, but Kathy stops here, saying "What if it's a burglar?". Sally replies "Oh, yeah.. A burglar that knocks?" and goes to answer it. Because of the way it is done, you expect an enemy to be there - but no, it is a normal man. He says "I was told to deliver this letter at this exact place and exact time to Sally Sparrow." Sally asks "Who si it from?" and the man replys "Katherine Nightingale Wainwright". Sally thinks this is all a joke, as that is her friends name. She calls for Kathy, but recieves no answer. She had been watching from the door, her back to the weeping angel. And now she has dissapeared. Isn't that a coincidence?

Kathy is found in a field, and she asks a man where she is. She is told that she is in Hull. She does not believe him until he shows the local newspaper. It shows her that she is in Hull. It also shows her that she is in 1920.

87 years later, Sally is taking the letter from the man. She reads it: "Dear Sally. If everything goes well, it should be only moments since you last saw me. I have led a happy life with the first man I met in 1920". Included in the package are pictures of her and her children, and a request to contact Larry, a worker in a DVD shop. Sally doesn't believe a word, and heads upstairs to look for her. She finds four massive weeping angels in the room, one holding a key on a string. She takes the key, and quickly goes back down. The man has left.

Sally decides to go to Larry. She sees a video of the doctor being played on a screen. She asks who that man is, and Larry explains that he is an easter egg on 17 different DVD's. All are unlinked, and not even the manufacturers know that they are there. When Larry pauses the video, it often unpauses. Larry gives Sally a list of all the 17 DVD's that this easter egg can be found on. As she is leaving, another worker at the DVD shop (who is watching a film) shouts 'Why don't you just go to the police, you stupid woman!' at the screen, and that gives Sally an idea.

She hurrys across the road to the Police Station, and meets Billy Shipton. He shows her cars that have been found outside the house, their owners missing. Sally also asks about the big blue box in the corner, and Billy tells her that it is a fake police box - and they cannot open it, because no key fits it.

Sally leaves, but then remembers the key the weeping angel was holding. She goes back, but before she arrives Billy meets a load of weeping angels himself. And guess what? He Blinks. Next thing he knows, he is in 1969 with the Doctor. As this is the longest review I have ever written.. Well, its more like the whole story than a review.. I am not going to write any more stuff, as you have probably (if you have not already closed the window) had enough of me babbling on about it - and I don't want to ruin the story for you too much. For the full story, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_%28Doctor_Who%29. Basically, its a great episode - the first thing I have ever rated 9.9, so find out when its going to be repeated, and watch it! Or if you have already seen it, watch it again! Uhm.. Bye :D
  • My eyeballs are so dry right now...

I loved this episode, I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time, even when I wanted to cower back into the sofa when the Weeping Angels were coming at them I could not tear myself away.

I know a lot of people were worried because it was described as a Doctor-lite episode and many thought back to last year's Love and Monsters and shuddered. (For the record I quite liked that episode, I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as everyone else seemed to, it was light, silly fun...but that's not the point.) I cannot see why anyone would be disappointed in this episode, for although there was not as much of the dashing Mr. Tennant, the Doctor's presence definitely saturated the episode right from his initially cryptic message scrawled on the walls in the opening scene and his conversation on the DVDs was at first creepy and then quite amusing and his final instructions not to blink, (which was the preview for this episode) was practically chilling. My eyes were so wide as I tried not to blink along with Larry. I would have died. To have just been statues, the Weeping Angels were positively creepy throughout the first half of the episode when they were slowly moving about the house and rather scary as they made their way after Sally and Larry and we some them frozen in some distorted, crazed expressions, reaching out for them. The flickering light really added to an already tense atmosphere and when the TARDIS started fading out and we could see the Weeping Angels appearing my heart was racing.

Sally Sparrow was a fantastic character to centre the episode on, she was brave, quick thinking, intelligent, handled the situation remarkably well and I managed to become emotionally invested in her shockingly fast. I loved her reaction to receiving the letter from Kathy, the confusion, anger and finally that strange sort of acceptance were wonderfully done. Larry was good as the slightly geeky sidekick and helped add a bit of comic relief. I totally want a 'The angels have the blue box' t-shirt. I also liked Billy Shipton and the wonderful “Life is short and you’re hot.” It was sweet when Sally stayed with him as he was dying, despite having only met his younger self earlier that day.

The One Year Later part was a great ending to it, with Sally still focused on the events of the episode, I mean who wouldn’t be? The Doctor and Martha running down the street with weapons and rambling about four problems and a lizard was a nice, light bit of comedy and reminded us of the hecticness of the Doctor’s life, encountering people that he has never met before but that have met him. Then Sally once again proved her worth by figuring out that it was her who had gave the Doctor the information that saved her life and helped her save him. Oh crazy time travel!

The episode was fantastically written, Stephen Moffat is clearly a genius and as if the entire episode was not creepy enough, that last sequence of shots of various statues is sure to have kids all over the country staring out every statue they pass. I can only hope that the rest of the season is anywhere near as good as this episode and I’m oddly hopeful, if only because the brilliant Captain Jack is back next week. Hurrah!
  • The tables are turned on The Doctor and Martha when they are the ones in need of rescue

Fantastic! An incredibly well-written episode with extremley clever twists around every corner. Even though the Doctor and Martha didn't feature much in this episode, it was still one of the best episode's of the series, and a great lead up to the finale.

The acting was excellent, allowing the audience to connect with the two principle characters. This episode was much much much better than the episode this time last year. The whole idea of the episode, with the unusual, but exceedingly clever, deaths that featured, were very good!

More episodes like this would be brilliant, and now I can't wait until nect week!
  • A well-written thriller!

I was prepared to hate this episode. Like "Love and Monsters" in last season, this episode allowed the leads more time filming the previous two-parter. I'd assumed it would be a second-rate episode that, like "L & M", left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not so. The writers deftly joined the Doctor Who universe with a tight little thriller. Killer statues (well, not exactly killer) have stolen the Tardis and the Doctor needs Sally Sparrow's help - from almost 40 years in the past.

It's a whirlwind ride of confusing time jumps and menacing statuary that, despite what I'd assumed, really worked. One question though: Why didn't anyone just setup mirrors in front of the statues? Surely if they froze when seen, they'd freeze on seeing themselves. But, then, I don't have a degree in quantum mechanics.
  • ...and you thought last weeks was good.

...It was but this is better.

Last years Doctor lite episode "Love and Monsters" was a load of tripe a double let down fro me as both a Who fan and a Peter Kay fan. I was worried this was going to be more of the same. I was wrong. Very wrong.

This episode has it all. A cracking story which makes sense (where as a lot of these temporal ones don't), excellent funny script (exploding hens?!?!) genuinley scary enemies and surely the best companion who never was in Sally Sparrow.
    Get her on board the TARDIS as quick as possible. Not instead of Martha but as well as. As long as the writers avoided any love triangle jibba jabba i think it would work.

However the biggest selling point for me was that the angels made my girlfriend actually scream the first time you saw their teeth!!

Winner!
  • One of the best episodes this series.

I was very pleased when the credits showed this episode was written by Steven Moffat, judging by the other episodes he has written ("The Empty Child", "The Doctor Dances" and "The Girl in the Fireplace") I knew it would stand out. Tucked between an emotional two parter and the awaited return of Captain Jack, I wasn't expecting such a gripping episode. The "weeping angels" were rather disturbing, but I won't say much more. Plus, even though the Doctor did not appear very much in the episode, I didn't notice that until someone pointed it out, I was completely enthralled by the story. Definitely an episode to watch.
  • almost doctorless but not a let down like last year's one

To be honest I don't understand why the people at doctor who have decided to do another of these sort of storylines. It had only been done once before love and monsters (1966, mission to the unknown) and that episode left a lot of people confused. I mean, the show is called doctor who, its about the doctor's travels in time and space so why feel the need to write something without the main character in mind. Its about as sane as writing a story about teenage drug abuse and calling it "The devil goblins from neptune" (interpret that as you will)
    Anyway, off that subject and me moaning. This episode has been done brilliantly for a sort of episode that would probably have had me searching for the nearest axe. Steve Moffat is a terrific writer, and to be honest its made me wonder why russel T hasn't invited back some of the writers from the past two seasons, the guy that did satan pit, school reunion, maybe that way this series wouldn't have so many people saying its not as good as it was (I'm not among them, I always enjoy doctor who)
    Moffat is amazing, and after reading what he said about the meaning of horror in the radio times, its just cemented my belief that he really understands how horror works.
    He's written a great script here, couple of cases of cheesy scripting (such as the police detective bit) but he has put this episode together really well, its a decent mystery that's creepy as hell when it wants to be, though at times near the beginning its slightly confusing.
    I really like the direction in this episode, I don't mention directing a lot, but the camera angles used, and the way the angels move as vision changes, I really like the way this guy has shot this.
    The weeping angels are really creepy (even for me a harderned horror fanatic) its hard to describe just how weird they've been made. One minute they've got their hands over their eyes, the next they're roaring at you, its very unnerving.
    The acting is great as usual, the girl that played Sally Sparrow was good, I'd like to see her in more things in the future.
    Anyway, I'm running out of things to say (and attention span) so I'll just leave it at, I liked this episode, really creepy, looking forward to utopia.
    and that's me done
  • Very Incredibly Well Written Episode. Period.

This is was a really good episode; compared to the majority of series 3; this has to be one of the better ones; if not the best episode so far; and rightly so.

The Acting Was Great; Everything Fitted togeather perfectly; how the doctor knows what is going on; what is going to happen; how the people who get taken, sending messages to the present, the first we see in a very "Back to the Future" Style way "i was told to come to this place at this moment in time to deliver this" in one word; id have to say this episode was AMAZING. it completly builds on the momentum from the last 2 great episodes(Human Nature/Family of Blood) and accelerates the series towards a (hopefully) Exciting Conclusion!
1 2 3 4