Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!

Such a great episode. I was waiting to hear the Doctor say those words ever since I've started watching the show (a friend of mine once told me about them). I don't know if it is okay for me to say it before I've watched the whole series but this episode has got to be one of the BEST!!!
  • Don't even blink!

This episode was SO much fun. You can watch it over and over, trying to work it out, and revelling in Billie's dalliance.

I don't find The Weeping Angels so much hide-behind-the-couch scary as suspenseful, with the capability to make you jump out of your skin.

There is a stretch of road near my house where there are garden statues in view for a minute or two, and I make sure never to blink, just to keep the memory of this episode fresh and alive in my mind. Actually, I think it's time I watched it again.
  • Blink

Blink was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and fun. There was some action, character development and plot progression. I liked the suspense of some of the scenes which had me on the edge of my seat. I liked how every thing played out and certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Best one ever

An amazing episode for the new Doctor Who. This is truly one of the best episodes ever written - and it doesn't have the doctor in it much! How ironic.
    Compare this with last years Love and Monsters - yeah totally different aren't they? This one has more fire, more drama and above all more characterisation. Speaking of the characters, the gorgeous and coragous Sally Sparrow is the heroine of the story. She stumbles across the Scooby-Doo house, and is plunged into a world of time and angel statues that can kill you. only cryptic messages from the lost timelord and the mysterious blue box can save her and her new lover Lawrence from trouble.
    I only wish that more episodes could of been like this. Perhaps the new new series will have something to offer.
  • Blink, the best Doctor Who episode.

Well it might just be me, but I think that this episode "Blink" is the best of any Doctor Who. It was not silly, or corny (which some have been) and don't scold me for saying that. I love all Doctor Who's, but this was grown up and sophisticated. It was very smart, well written, acted and directed. And may I add, SCARY ! I just loved this episode and it's a "must watch" episode from my "must watch episode list" It was different from any other "Doctor Who" episodes, yet it was still very much a "Doctor Who". I just loved it!!!
  • A True Landmark in Writing!

By Far one of the best Hours of Television I have ever seen, Not just in the Dr. Who Universe, but anywhere.
    Truly a fine piece of writing and acting.
    Kudos 1,000 times Kudos.

I Do feel Bad for waiting this long into my life to start watching Dr. Who, but feel fortunate that among the first episodes I see, is this Gem.
    I Can not wait to share it with my friends and especially with my Son.

Do yourself a Favor and see this episode, even if you are not a fan of the Dr. Who Television series.
    its worth your time. and you wont regret it.
  • One of the best Doctor Who story lines!

I really really love this story line which is a little weird considering it doesn't have a lot of the Doctor in it but The Weeping Angels are a brilliant monster because they aren't so alien they look fake and they are scary too. I was really quite scared which makes it ever more brilliant. At the beginning you are rather confused but as you go through the story you find that you start to really like the character of Sally Sparrow. She is independent and well lets face it if what happens to her happened to me i would be freaking out :) But this is probably one of my favorite story line and i advise all to watch. Pure Brilliant.
  • One of the scariest Doctor Who villians of all times and one of the most time-invovled plots of all times makes for a great Doctor Who episode.

Blink has to be among one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever! I just watched it recently on DVD and watched it again to catch all the subtle nuances I missed before like how old Billy knew when he would "exit" or rather how the doctor knew in order to tell him.

The intricate storyline invovling twists in time was brilliant! Despite the show being about a time traveler and time travel itself, very often very little is done with time. Usually the Doctor and co. arrive at some fixed point in some area and work things out from then and there going forward. It's nice to see time itself manipulated to solve a problem.

The resolution of the story was great for it's cleverness. It was ironic how the weeping angels in more ways than one engineered their own downfall by unknowingly allowing events to take place in the past that would influence the future/present. As for other shows' resolutions, I'll be honest that I have grown tired of the way sometimes the new Doctor Who solves difficult problems in seeminly a flash or deus ex machina. Fortunately all that was absent in this incredible episode. The Weeping Angels made for great scary monsters and the flickering lightbulb at the end....

I hope to see more episodes like this!
  • Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead. Wow. Just Wow. As of the end of the 4th series, this is far and away the best episode of the revived Doctor Who. The base concept, plot, and manner of intertwining both is nothing less than incredibly ori

==================================================
    Don't Blink. Blink and you're *dead*. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And **don't blink**.
    ==================================================
    I've been an SF fan for over 40 years. I never liked the old Doctor Who, because I've always prefered SF to Science Fantasy, which the Doctor generally was in the past. The revived series is still Science Fantasy, but it's a bit less cheezy than the old series was. Plus I've mellowed a bit in the last twenty since the original was on the air. The revived series is fun and amusing and the characters are well-written and, within the limitations of TV, very effectively done. It is mildly uneven, running from very very good to pretty good, but never is it disappointing.

Blink is an unusual episode as the Doctor has a comparatively small "on screen" part in it. The concept behind the story, though, and the manner of its telling, is as inventive and original as any SF ever placed on TV. It is proof that Steven Moffat, better known for the excellent comedy Coupling, but also for several of the better episodes of Doctor Who in the revived series, is literally a brilliant storyteller. With Blink, he breaks out of the "standard" story telling mode and tells a nonlinear story using a linear format, pretty much backwards from the usual way of doing that sort of thing. It does an amazingly remarkable job of keeping you engrossed, trying to figure out what is going on, and presents a "villain" -- a nemesis -- which is both utterly alien yet completely believable and, within the bounds of the story, even understandable. If you don't like this episode -- quite a bit -- Then I say that you, sir or madam, are dull and unimaginative. That's the only possible explanation I can conceive of.
  • A Doctor Who episode in which the Doctor only appears live in the last couple of minutes and his other appearances (in a DVD 'interview') only amount to a few minutes more!

And yet this is my favourite episode in all four of the new series. The story is full of paradoxes, the primary being that the Doctor is hardly in it. The only time you see the adversary/alien characters they are statues and don't move yet they are all the more scary because of it, you just don't know when they are going to appear next.
    I have always enjoyed science fiction where there is an element of time travel (this is what attracted me to Doctor Who in the first place). In this episode the time travel is pivotal to the story but very much in the background, in that the subject does not have any experience of it subjectively but is very much influenced by the experiences of other characters.
    Another bonus is that there is more character development than in most of the episodes which is a failing of the new single episode storylines.
  • The companion that never was, Sally Sparrow, travels into an old 'Scooby Doo-esque' home where the Weeping Angels await her. A superb episode by the legendary Stephen Moffat and probably the best episode of the new series!

I won't deny that when I first found out that Stephen Moffat, the creator of such legendary episodes as the 'Empty Child' and 'The Girl in the Fireplace', was writing this episode I was excited.

In the episode 'Blink', Moffat has surpassed himself.

The idea of the Weeping Angels was a stroke of genious. The idea that they are 'kind killers' who feed off of a person's potential energy, despite being slightly complex to explain outside of the episode, is beautifully executed within the episode.

These creatures certainly scared me more than enough times during that 3/4 of an hour period and it almost felt like a mini movie that I was watching, not another episode of Doctor Who (although that could be simply because of the Doctor's cameo appearances through the easter eggs, another nice little touch by Moffat).

Sally Sparrow herself was indeed the greatest companion that never was. Carey Mulligan plays this character perfectly and the little interaction between the Doctor and her at the end was quite heart warming, however Moffat is quick to beat back the sense of a 'happy ending' here with the Doctor's voiceover and shots of various famous statues reminding us never ever to 'Blink', a little much for the younger, and maybe even the olde, audience perhaps but it was quite a fitting little reminder.

With spectacularly imagined creatures such as the 'Weeping Angels', a thrilling storyline and the superb acting by Carey Mulligan and Finlay Robertson in this 'Doctor-lite' episode, it remains as one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever and definitely deserves 10/10.
  • Tightly plotted, incredibly well acted, and very atmospheric scary story.

A lot of people have complained about the Doctor and Martha being offscreen for most of the episode. For my money, this is what makes the episode so strong, because the focus is on a character who doesn't have any experience dealing with some of Who's more alien and bizarre monsters. Most of the credit goes to the genius of Steven Moffat's script, which creates what is an incredibly scary monster, one so easy to escape and yet so difficult to defeat.

But a lot of the success rests on the shoulders of Carey Mulligan, who basically carries the story as Sally Sparrow. Good premise or not, without such a likable actress in the role, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

So this is a story that is best told on a dark and stormy night, with those you love close by your side.

But whatever you do, DON'T BLINK!
  • The best new Doctor Who episode ever without the doctor?

This has to be my most prized episode of the new Doctor Who series. I haven't seen any of the old episodes so I cannot compare, but this time-bending classic is really good. It stars an unknown "investigating" the Doctor's actions. The first part is priceless as she is revealing writing on the wall in real-time. The Doctor is stuck in 1969 with Marta (?) and his beloved Tardis in modern time. He seems to send many messages to Sally for no reason whatsoever. There is a group of aliens disguised as statues who have the ability to send people to random times in the past. Through time, the Doctor sends many messages to Sally telling her of these beings and brilliance ensues. This well-written episode has you on your toes as details towards time-travel and the mind-bending effects are distributed through the average viewer. Although this is an episode of Doctor Who, the Doctor plays a very minimal role showing up only a couple of times when his mention is implied. I do not want to spoil this epic episode, just go and watch it.
  • Don't blink.

This episode amazed me. There is almost no actual Doctor in it, and yet he is. The entire concept takes a bit to wrap your brain around, but once you do, you'll figure out this is one of the best episodes of this series.

It follows Sally Sparrow, who is being watched/ followed by the Weeping Angels, who want the Tardis. They can't move when someone is looking at them. The Doctor and Martha have been taken back to 1969 by them and can only communicate through things left in time by Sally's acquaintances who have also been thrown back into time. The most important of these are the DVDs the Doctor talks to Sally through. This is just a perfect example of television. It shows the other side of the Doctor's adventures. He is just passing through and you don't usually see what happens to the ordinary people, but this time you do, and it's so interesting. The Angels are scary as hell, and it's also cool to note that not only do they stay still when the characters are looking at them, but also when we, the audience, are.

All in all, an extrememely good watch.
  • It's always fun to be in the know when the characters aren't. Perfect episode!

I loved this episode; I watched it twice in a row, almost without blinking. I love episodes where we, as the viewer, are able to see the Doctor through the eyes of someone who hasn't met him before, who doesn't know what he can do or what it's all about. It's almost like coming to the series anew.

Of course I could say all sorts of things about the awesome acting, fantastic special effects, etc... but that's just what I've come to expect from the show. This particular episode is great because of the fabulous writing and stunning suspense. I think it's one of the scariest, best episodes the show has ever had, and Doctor Who continues to raise the bar and get better and better.
  • how does an episode of "doctor who" work with almost no doctor in it?

one word: brilliantly! this has been one the best and most exciting episodes so far with a brilliant storyline and a great mixture of time periodes and a wonderful explanation about how the doctor would know what would be happening in 2007 while he was stuck in the past. i was on the edge of my seat when sally first found the warnings from 1969 addressed to her by the doctor. the doctor on every screen in her living room gave me the creeps but most of all did the angels. it was thrilling how this almost fragile symbols for peace would turn into ruthless killers. i really like this kind of statues in a guilty pleasure kind of way so they gave me even more of an intense chicken skin. they looked so very scary with their horrible grimaces and i'm sure they must have provided a lot of hours of nightmare. the scene when the doctor gave sally instructions from the computer screen, was fascinating and quite funny and the explanation about how he knew about what she was going to say was just brilliant! this episode might have been more complicated and more complex than most of the other ones but never the less really thrilling and most of all incredibly intelligent!
  • One of the best episodes ever!

I love Doctor Who and this is my favourite episode.
    I found it clever, well written, original and also scary, but in a good way. I havent been scared watching Doctor Who since I was a child and was scared of the Daleks.
    It was such a classic show I had to buy one of those t-shirts that say "The Angels have the Phonebox" which are not available in New Zealand, so I had to order from ebay and it cost me a small fortune in freight. But well worth it cos I love my t-shirt.
    I think anyone that saw this episode will never be able to look at those statues the same way again, especially they happen to be in a cemetary.
    I hope we see more of this fantasic writing in the new series in 2008.
  • An excellent episode

I am not a major fan of the new Doctor Who, having grown up on the old one. However, I am very happy that it is back, and do understand the need to appeal to new and younger viewers. I am not really into the overt emotion of the new one - the Doctor falling for various assistants etc. However, I must say that in season 3, teh series has really improved. In particular - this episode 'Blink' - is really exceptional. I cannot remember any episode - new or old - that is better than this one. It is clever and interesting and has a great surprise at the end, both in the solution and origination of the story. It is as good as it gets. I hope they sustain this quality - because if they do, I think I will be experiencing a conversion.
  • Could Doctor Who get ANY better? Maybe. But this episode is perfection itself, the only thing that would make it better is if it was 2 parter.

In the Doctor Who world of fandom, there are 2 gods: (well, it least in my book)

Russel T. Davies.

Steven Moffet.

We humble fans assume one type of episode from the first god: Cheeky, full of fun, doesn't take itself completely serious, ect.

From the second: Magic. Pure and simple magic. Redefines the term 'Entertainment'. Steven Moffet should be in Hollywood, writing movies for the big screen, or at the very least, completely in charge of Doctor Who's future. I've seen some of his comedy, he's a very funny man, but his specialty is Drama. Steven Moffet, for instance, wrote 'Blink'. Take a look at the episode. It's the season's Doctor-lite episode, which by all accounts, SHOULDN'T be good. Season two's Doctor-lite episode, 'Love and Monsters', was TERRIBLE! I can't think of a worse episode. But the episode that shined in that season? 'The Girl in the Fireplace'. Again, written by Steven Moffet. 'Blink' was fascinating to say the least. It had a strong cast that really held the episode up, Sally Sparrow was a sweet, tough, likable character who, once the episode was finished, I wanted to be the next companion. The weeping angels were SCARY! No matter how many times I re-watch that episode, I always jump when I see them. It's definitely the best episode of the New Series, if not the best in all of Doctor Who's long, long 44 year history! So, am I a Steven Moffet fan? No, not really. I know I keep going on about him, but it's because at least in Doctor Who, he's the best writer I know of. And 'Blink' is a perfect example of just what the man can do.
  • one of the "scary" ones

starts with a bang and never lets up.

this is why i watch the show. well-written. lots of suspense which works better for me than sci-fi talk.

almost more of a mystery/horror episode than a typical Doctor Who.

statues are really freaky. they work better at creating fear than any special effects monster on the series. reminds me of the "Empty Child" episode and how scary the boy with the gas mask was (see also the film "The Orphanage".

maybe the best episode of the new series. i felt some of this season was weak so this was a pleasant surprise.

don't miss this one.
  • After this amazing episode, statues became scary. If you see one around you, don't blink!

I totally loved this episode. It's amazing! The best Doctor Who episode ever!

The story is about the Weeping Angels, statues that cover their own eyes (so, the statues won't look at each other) and can kill who looks away from them by zapping the person into the past. They feed off of the life energy of all the days that that person might have had.

The episode begins showing a woman, Sally Sparrow going inside an abandoned house to take some pictures. There, after pulling out a piece of wallpaper, she finds a message addressed to her, signed by the Doctor in 1969, that warns her about the Weeping Angels. She also notices the statues outside the house moving.

Great episode. No doubt.

And remember: Don't blink! Blink and you're dead! Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink!
  • After finding a cryptic message written to her 40 years before on the wall of a decrepit old house, Sally Sparrow finds herself the center of a complex fight in which she must find a way to help the Doctor retrieve the TARDIS & defeat the Weeping Angels.

This episode is by far the best of this series so far. Though it has a noted absence of the Doctor, the part he plays is so far complicated, there need not be more. It also presents one of the most terrifying enemies ever seen. While they, for the most part, do not look at all scary, it is that simple fact which makes them so. Rarely on the show is an alien enemy seen that is as believable as something anyone could encounter at any time. This element of reality just heightens the fear. My advice when watching this episode: Don't think about it too much. Trying to figure out the time travel in this particular installment, especially that of Kathy and Billy, just causes headaches. Oh, and don't blink.
  • Brilliant!

I had missed this one when it aired on Sci-Fi here in the States and at the time I just kinda figured no big deal. Then I finally watched it after catching up on the ones I missed from series 1 and 2 and I have to say that was Bloody Freaking Brilliant! Amazing for the fact that it was good even though there was very little of the Doctor and Martha in the episode. Much better than the last time this was tried in Love and Monsters. Its really too bad they couldn't have brought Sally Sparrow along to be a new companion, I'm thinking she would have been an excellent companion.
  • Sally Sparrow happens upon "murderous" angels to help the Doctor and Martha who are trapped in 1969.

Seriously the best episode of the season. Very very good. Sally Sparrow finds her name and other ominous words written on a wall in an abandoned house. In the course of solving this mystery she loses her best friend in 1920, sort of, a potential date in 1969, sort of and helps the Doctor and Martha escape from 1969 where they are trapped. Martha was fully unhappy to be working in a shop to support the Doctor, exactly right. A somewhat non-linear episode full of twists, turns, and timey-wimey... sort of...
    Definitely one of the best episode of the entire series.
  • Brilliant.

If you like the Twilight Zone, you will love this episode. The dialog, pace and cinematic timing is that of a scifi suspense thriller. It will have you at the edge of your seat. This is probably the creepiest Doctor Who episode to date. Even creepier than the "Terror of the Autons" from 1971. This one could easily give you nightmares. You will never look at graveyard statues and gargoyles the same way again. Unlike most Doctor Who episodes, this one has very little of the campy witty dialog from the Doctor. The Doctor plays a distant supporting role, which itself is unusual.
  • One of the best ever.

My friend told me that this was the best episode he had ever seen and after watching it twice, I agree this episode was special in a lot of ways. I liked how it was not doctor related but from a third party point of view and the ending was also so clever. This is the second time that they gave us an unexpected ending that leads us to a complete time loop.
    It is as if a new writer has taken over as the last three episodes have a different feel to them. I cannot wait to see the next episode.
  • BRILLIANT!!!!

This episode is one of my faves from Series 3... even though Martha and the Doctor aren't major character in it (much better then the other episodes of Who shows like "Love & Monsters"(2-10) and Torchwood's "Random Shoes"(1-9))... The Weeping Angels are some of the best monsters not only on Who, but on any sci-fi show... the concept of being "Quantum Locked" (based on the idea of quantum physics where either a partical's speed or its position can be know, but never both at the same time. So the Angels could only move when not being observed)...was intriguing and was pulled off expertly. I don't think they would have been as scary if this was a "normal" episode focusing on the Doctor... but the way poor Sally Sparrow has no clue what they are or how to stop them adds to the tension of the episode and makes it work...
    also, the way in which the Doctor has to contact her through various "Easter Eggs" on DVDs is brilliant! It reminded me of "The footage" in William Gibson's novel "Pattern Recognition"
  • Best of this season...

This was a fabulous episode. I've found that I really enjoy the ones where the doctor impacts multiple parts of a person (or persons) lives, like the episode "The girl in the fireplace" last season.

I really enjoyed trying to figure it out, and really got lost in the story for a bit, but it all came around full circle. Then end, when she realizes she gave him the info was perfect (and the hand-holding). The angels were truly scary, throughout.

Oh and even though she missed out on spending life with her best friend, there was still a Nightingale and Sparrow, how great!
  • Extremely refreshing episode...

After the last few episodes of Doctor Who, I thought that this show has finally lost it's charm. And then I saw Blink.

For starters, it's hard to believe that the same person that wrote "The Girl in the Fireplace" wrote "Blink". Cause, although both episodes feature problem of flexibility of time - "The Girl in the Fireplace" was so out of the character for Doctor, and I couldn't convince myself to like it. Well, mostly cause I'm a big fan of Rose, and don't like to watch Doctor with other women, but still. I know that I'm not the only one who saw that enormous change in Doctors character there. In "Blink" there is no Doctor, though you can see him everywhere - there are only two real-time scenes with Doctor and Martha.

One of the best things about "Blink" is amazing performance of actress who played Sally Sparrow. Every single character in this episode has an important role, and it all kinda leads to revealing a mystery of this weeks villains - "weeping angles", assassins in form of a rock statues, old as time.

I'm kinda grateful we didn't get to see much of a Martha Jones, cause honestly, I really tried, but I just don't feel it... Nor any sympathies towards her, nor any chemistry between her and Doctor. Bored now.

When I first heard everyone praising "Blink" and amazing Sally Sparrow, I thought we're gonna see another out-of-the-character sad love story, but I was pleasantly surprised, cause "Blink" is one of those episodes of a show that you can watch even without knowing plot or characters, and still be heavily impressed.
  • It was a really refreshing episode, especially straight after the double when The Doctor had to become human to avoid detection. Isn't Sally cute!

I'm a big sucker for time paradoxes. Like the best in the Star Trek series, this one is all about the heroine Sally piecing together clues in the present time to help The Doctor and Martha back from 1969. I couldn't help but think it must've been a conscious effort by The Doctor when he does leave 1969, he chose not to affect any of the time leading up to his eventual rescue, which meant those affected by the "angels" were still affected - no rewriting history here!

Certainly very hard to wrap one's brain around the DVD easter egg question and answers between The Doctor and Sally. Everything seems to be happening as intended, so in a way, The Doctor must've known he was going to be saved anyway.

It's almost inconsequential that The Doctor and Martha are playing almost a cameo role in this episode. A bit like episodes on Miss Marple where she's not necessarily the main murder mystery solver!
< 1 2 3 4