Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• A good Horror Drama thats worth watching though don't read to much into the time travel aspect of it all.

For any children who viewed this episode this will be a classic episode and one which they will remember as the best horror dramas are always something that you can relate too [Sapphire & Steel anyone?] in this case Writer Stephen Moffet has used Statues; something that viewers will always see everywhere.

This episode doesn't rely on fancy effects to move the story as its all in the editing and story telling surprisingly Martha and the Doctor take a back seat. This ep had obvious roots from Back To The Future Part II as the letter is given to Sally. I felt what let this ep down was the time travel aspect, some of it was good other parts were just unconvincing. Sorry Mr Moffet, but saying that interveening on future events will cause some sort of cataustropic upsetting of the universe seems a little like a plot oversight coverup - the Doctor does it all the time see; Day Of The Daleks. Could he mean the Blinovich Limitation Effect or is he just trying to save his own skin to get the Tardis back? Logically, if the police guy had gone back in time then he could have told his future self not to help Sally and a new timeline would have been set up and none of this would have happened to him! Besides if those Weeping Angels did put you back in time as you now know future events then you can technically alter history for your own gain.
  • ...But its still a corker...and very creepy too. But not my favourite episode

yes all in all it is a very good episode that(of course)needs multiple viewings to get a full understanding and a full enjoyment for this episode.
    but it does lack that something special that makes most episodes work.
    on first viewing i was really confused with some of the things the main characters(not the Doc this time round)were babbling on about.
    but nevertheless after rewatching i managed to enjoy it much more and the weeping angels are really creepy.
    Unfortunately this episode was at the wrong end of series 3 as it aired right after the scorching two parter Human Nature/Family Of Blood(which in many ways i prefer over this episode).
    This is definately not Moffats best work,he makes his masterpiece in series fours terrific Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead two parter(which is terrifying and terrific).
    the thing that makes this extra special is the excellent direction and the soundtrack...it also acts like a sort of slasher film as the angels pick off their victims one by one...which only adds to its enjoyment factor.
    Utopia for me is the best episode of this series along with the two parter before this,and i cant help but feel that this episode would have worked much better if it had aired in the first half of the series.
    but thats just my opinion.
    Not the best episode of New Who,but its a very good one.
  • The Doctor and Martha are stuck in 1969 and only a young girl in present time can help them get back. That is, if the "angels" don't get the Tardis first

A Mostly Fantastic episode! It started off real creepy and thrilling but took a turn for the worse when the angels showed their true form. I would have liked it much better had they been more "hitchcock-esque" then fangs and claws. It did make me wonder though, why the angels did not attack the girl (Sally Sparrow) in the first place? Everyone else who went into that house disappeared. Why not her? Besides plot device? All in all, an easy episode for the doctor and Martha, they are in less than 10% of the show, so you don't get as much of the witty doctor banter that one usually gets. All in all though, totally worth the Tivo space.
  • See, it was good.....but....

I just felt we were missing something. Maybe it was too hyped as being the "scariest" Doctor Who episode in a long while. But I found it didn't even compare with the Satan Pit or The Unquiet Dead etc etc. Sure the angels and the blinking was a a great idea. But there was too much story in the build up to it.
  • sally sparrow sees a mysterious person called the doctor on TV and is being hunted by the weeping angels

This is season 3's equivalent of season 2's "Love and monsters", because this is the episode where the Doctor only plays a minor role. The hero of this story, is instead, is ally sparrow and ordinary woman who lives in London. when she checks out and abandoned house she sees some strange statues, soon afterwards she starts seeing the Doctor on a DVD extra. The story is quite well done, and it has quite an original monster, able to send people back in time, they're one of the scarier monsters, although they don't compare to the daleks. the main problem was that the storyline was a bit slow in places. overall it was a decent episode but not groundbreaking.
  • Mighty Creepifying

Taking the focus away from The Doctor and Martha we see what happens when you get someone with a decent brain and an inquiring nature on the case of something a little bit beyond normal comprehension. Sally Sparrow with the slightly unfortunate surname referencing another Sparrow currently swashbuckling his way across the big screen looks into the case of a mysterious house and following a series of clues and mad coincidences leads her to something far more dangerous than she envisioned.

Meanwhile it seems that the Doctor and Martha got themselves stuck in 1969 and I can't help but feel sorry for those people that got trapped in times not their own. Especially the Detective, the Doctor could have saved him. Anyways the final scenes with the frantic staring at the statues along with the frantic attempts to get into the Tardis in the flashing darkness were some of the best scenes of the season, especially as we never actually see the Angels move. The conclusion was a good one, bringing the story full circle. And next week Captain Jack is back. Woo!
  • One of the creepiest TV episodes ever

One of the creepiest TV episodes ever written. Genuinely nail-biting.

Like the original Rod Serling Twilight Zone series, and the original Outer Limits series, ingenious writing obviates any need for elaborate FX.

Clever cutting between a collection of stationary statues is enough to strike terror into viewers' hearts.

Remember, don't blink. Blink and you're dead.
  • Best Doctor Who episode so far.

I have been into Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days and to be honest I cannot consider myself as a fan of the new show. The reason being that I think most of the stories (before this one) were pretty lame. Come on!! you cannot get any worse than pig aliens (or whatever they were) can you? - BUT... over the past 3 episodes I have seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of the episodes. It was like the top brass called the production staff over to their office and gave them a good old kick in the behind and told them to crank up the quality of the show. It also seems like the show is now targeting a more adult audience. I just hope that the quality of the show will remain on these levels.
  • Blows away last year's Lost and Monsters, this is how you do a Doctor-less or Doctor-lite episode.

I wasn't against the idea of Love and Monsters, just the application. Sally Sparrow is such a great character, I nominate her for future companion. The Weeping Angels were great although they made no sense what so ever. Who threw that rock at Sally in the beginnning? The Angel? Why would they do that? Sally had the stuff written on the wall in the file? Alot of this doesn't bear much scrutiny but it works as you watch it, you just go with it. I thought one could shut one eye at a time to keep both from blinking as a way of keeping the Angels away although you would lose total periphery vision. Nice to see the message at the end is for hot chicks to love us DW nerds.
  • Suspenseful, yet fun, gothic horror in the modern age!

At long last, I can appreciate what my British friends have told me: As kids, they, literally, hid under their living room couches whenever a seriously spooky scene occurred on the original Dr Who series!

When this episode started, I thought I was watching the wrong show! Who is that young woman, and why is she trespassing into a spooky, old, abandoned house? Who wrote the warning to her beneath the wallpaper? Why is the Doctor only on DVD's, and how can he be communicating with the young woman through them, when they're pre-recorded? What happened to the woman's friend, who disappeared, suddenly and mysteriously, even though they were very near each other? What's with all the statues holding their hands and arms in front of their eyes? And where are the Doctor and Martha, anyway? And then I realized the greatness of both the story and the direction, in not making the story obvious, until the very end, as is true of any good detective story!

The only problems I had with this episode was when the statues are rendered harmless - - thanks to a bit of trickery on the part of the Doctor (I don't think I'm giving too much away!) - - but there was a hole in the plot, in that the creatures are in a dark basement: As soon as the lights are off, they will be able to cover their eyes and be free, once again (I can't be the only one who thought of that!). And why didn't anyone think of just holding up a mirror in front of the statues? Also, the last few minutes were stretched and unnecessary, making the denouement somewhat obvious and even tedious, although it was redeemed, somewhat, by the DVD playback warnings of the Doctor (sorry . . . you'll just have to see the episode for yourself to understand that!).

Regardless, though I'm an adult, I'll admit to shaking in my knickers throughout most of the episode! And this definitely rates among my all-time (no pun intended!) favorite Dr Who episodes!
  • A Girl Named Sally Written by Steven Moffat Directed by Hettie MacDonald

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “Don’t turn your back, don’t look away and don’t blink”.

Okay it’s the time of the season again where The Doctor and companion take a break and let someone else drive the plot while making their lack of presence felt and eventually addressed.

Last year the show pulled off this audacious stunt with the probing “Love And Monsters” which seemed to have left a bitter taste with some viewers and Torchwood’s attempts with a similar tactic in “Random Shoes” also failed to impress. You think with two failings with this format, the writers would make the decision to stay away from trying it again. Well think again!

The episodes opens with a young blonde haired girl staking out a creepy house in the middle of the night and just now that I’m starting to get into the Buffy Season Eight comics, the resemblance the young girl has to Sarah Michelle Gellar is a little uncanny to be honest.

Her house raid however is interesting and set the tone to this episode perfectly. While “Love And Monsters” set out to be self-analysing and goofy, “Blink” aims to be somewhat more creepy and when the lady question passes over some creepy Angel statues and rips the wallpaper off to find a message telling her to beware of the Weeping Angels by The Doctor from 1969, the stage is set brilliantly.

Anyone who got a cryptic message about Weeping Angels directly for them who probably either scoff or run for the hills but the girl in question is more determined to find out what the frak is going on and let’s just say Sally Sparrow is someone of a very curious mind.

No sooner is she calling her mate Kathy and then bumping into her mate’s nude brother but Sally drags her friend back to the very creepy house to do even more snooping than usual. Mind you, it takes very little to persuade Kathy who seems to have a curiosity streak every bit as big as Sally’s but you more or less knew that Sally was leading the girl to inevitable doom during her quest.

Now I’ll be honest and I’ll admit the first ten minutes of this episode start off reasonably slow but I was impressed that within the space of two minutes, not only did Kathy get sent back to 1920 when Sally wasn’t looking but Kathy’s grandson knocked on the door and was able to give Sally an envelope which she refused to open. Naturally Sally thought he was a quack.

However Kathy is something of a strange thing. In this world she’s really dead but she got sent back in time, had to adjust to a conservative era but managed to find someone she loved and had a family while laying pity on Sally and hoping her friend would be able to explain to her brother what happened to her without actually revealing the truth of course. Jumping from 2007 to 1920 and back to 2007 we then have to see Sally do a bit of old detective as her intentions from trying to explain Kathy’s disappearance to Larry then shift when she sees The Doctor on DVD trying to communicate with whoever was watching him but was mostly being paused by a none the wiser Larry.

It’s a genius idea having The Doctor in this state because while it’s painfully obvious that he’s trying to communicate with Sally, his attempts are at first ignored in favour of the girl trying to figure things out for herself. To lighten the mood Sally also has fun teasing Larry for his nude streak the night before she finds out that The Doctor’s message seems to be spread out through 17 unrelated DVDs.

After Sally made her excuses about Kathy, some genius then told her to go to the cops in regards to the creepy goings on within the West Of Drumlins house and it didn’t take much to figure out that the cops would be dismissive of Sally’s theories but luckily we’re spared some incredibly clichéd dialogue and the arrival of DI Billy Shipton only further moves the plot along.

Billy works as a character quickly with him filling some blanks and noting that the same house has had a slew of cars just abandoned there as well as Billy showing Sally the TARDIS and lamenting about not having the very key to open it. When Sally took that key of one of those Angels earlier on, I knew it belonged to the TARDIS. Clearly those things want it but why?

If there was some light flirting with Larry, then the flirting Sally receives at the hands of Billy is a lot more rampant and rather cute too might I add. Carey Mulligan is really impressive throughout this entire episode and Sally’s chance of meeting the guy she could’ve made a life with is cut short by those nefarious Weeping Angels.

Yeah Billy becomes victim Number Two and soon enough the poor lad meets up with The Doctor and Martha. Seeing as with “Love And Monsters” we had to wait until the last ten minutes before Ten and Rose showed up, there needed to be a pretty good explanation as to why The Doctor and Martha couldn’t help and the one we got here was satisfactory enough.

Keeping things simple, our Timelord and his companion managed to get themselves trapped in 1969, by what I presume is the doing of those pesky Angels. As per usual The Doctor gets a bit overexcited and starts spouting off while Martha gives Billy a sympathetic “smile and nod” speech. Billy was hoping to score a date with a beautiful girl, not get stuck in a period where Neil Armstrong has yet to land on the moon.

If The Doctor was using Kathy and her grandson to get a message of help to Sally, then his later attempts by getting the girl to visit a much older version of Billy in hospital would prove far more effective.

Easily the most poignant part of the episode, Sally who obviously quite fancied Billy had to meet a much older version of the man she could have married and there was a tremendous interplay between Mulligan and Louis Mahoney with both actors giving it their all. Regardless of whether this was an episode you liked or not the one thing that is undeniable about this Doctor Who is that the writers really make you care for the guest stars and Billy’s death was really sad I have to admit.

Still though it only helped with furthering the plot and that’s the great thing about this episode, things really keep moving a lot and soon enough Sally knows the DVDs are meant for her. That makes sense bearing in mind, The Doctor managing to write a warning to her from 1969 after all. With enough clues and consequences for an episode of Miss Marple, Sally’s only course of action left is to get the DVDs from Larry along with a portable DVD player and then watch them at the creepy house. Okay I could say this time Sally sort of knew she was gonna put someone else’s life in danger but she really did need Larry’s help and I guess a part of her wanted to get some justice for Kathy as well.

The real fun of the hour is then listening to these particular Easter Eggs and having The Doctor then answer and converse with both Sally and Larry as they begin to figure out what is going on.

The sheer essence of fandom is another thing this episode shares in common with “Love And Monsters”. Anyone who is reading this review is a fan of Doctor Who or just curious and despite what most of us would like to think we all have some level of fandom so when Larry talks about scripting The Doctor’s messages and coming up with his own theories, it’s something you can essentially identify with. Basically what Larry is doing here is what I do nearly every day in regards to the plethora of TV shows I love. Does it make him sad? You know what, no it doesn’t! And in case you’re wondering it really isn’t that sad to be vocally fandom.

With Martha being slightly disruptive during one of those messages, the biggest information dump in regards to Weeping Angels is dropped on us and once again after the malicious Family Of Blood, this lot are also an unconventional threat.

First off all, the Weeping Angels kill their victims only when they blink at them and the death they choose is to put their intended in another era where they have to die naturally and can never return. The Doctor saying their execution is almost kind could be a telling statement but when looked at this lot freeze into rocks and therefore cannot actually be killed. That part is definitely the most interesting of the bunch. The next part proves because after The Doctor warns Sally and Larry not to blink, four of the Weeping Angels are quick enough then to attack the duo and once again, some major acting is required by both Mulligan and Finlay Robertson as not only does Sally try to find a way out of the place but she also has to stay alive, keep Larry alive and then head down to the cellar in order to get to the TARDIS.

Maybe it’s not surprising that the very thing these Angels want is The Doctor’s spaceship but at the same it’s a hell of acting for Sally to get to the TARDIS and then get in with Larry as the Angels wreck havoc with the lights but luckily enough the girl is clever enough to actually get in there.

However instead of simply going back to 1969 with the TARDIS to retrieve The Doctor and Martha as soon as the machine is operated, Sally and Larry are booted out and once again look like they could face death in the past. Heck these Angels even tried to knock the TARDIS on it’s side in order to get at it so it is rather surprising but cool when it’s revealed that the Weeping Angels are now positioned to look at one another instead.

As you’ve noticed this doesn’t mean that they are dead but it’s a sufficient stalling tactic and a year onwards a more coupled up Sally is only able to move on from her experiences when she happened to chance upon seeing the very man who sent her on this goose chase to begin with.

The Doctor and Martha’s appearance at the end is a bit random and there is the thing of him not actually remembering Sally but he’s more intrigued with the girl’s certain Intel and gratitude than he is fighting a lizard. As for the end sequences with all those statues and The Doctor’s “don’t blink” running around? Enough said!

Also in “Blink”

Did anyone notice there was no dialogue in the opening tease? Even with only one character seen in it, it’s a first I think.

Kathy: “Sparrow and Nightingale, that so works”
    Sally: “Yeah for ITV”.

Sally had started an entire dossier on that house and the Weeping Angels even before Kathy’s disappearance. Sally (re Kathy): “Told me you were eighteen, lying cow”.

Larry: “We’ve met haven’t we?”
    Sally: “It’ll come to you”
    Larry (remembering being nude): “Oh my God”.

Steven Moffat never really explained what got Sally onto that house in the first place.

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “People assume time is strict progression of cause to effect but actually from an non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff”.

Sally: “Okay what’s the big question?”
    Billy: “Will you have a drink with me?”

A nickname The Doctor dubbed the Weeping Angels was “Lonely Assassins”. This lot also feed on stolen moments too.

Billy (to The Doctor): “What in God’s name are you talking about?”
    Martha: “Trust me just nod when he stops for breath”.

Billy (to Sally): “Look at my hands; they’re old man’s hands. How did that happen?”

Martha mentions seeing the landing on the moon four times and it’s becoming apparent how exciting she’s finding her travels with The Doctor.

Sally: “I’ve seen this one before”
    The Doctor: “Quite possibly”.

Sally (re The Doctor): “This is impossible”
    Larry: “No this is brilliant”.

It’s a creepy moment when we see these Angels actually make faces. They give the Clockworks Droids and Gas Mask kid a run for their money.

Sally (to the Weeping Angels): “I know how this works, you can’t move if I can’t see you”.

The Doctor and Martha randomly chasing down a monster at the end of this episode is exactly what The Doctor and Rose did at the start of “Love And Monsters”.

Larry: “Some things you never find out and that’s okay”
    Sally: “No it isn’t”.

The Doctor: “What was your name?”
    Sally: “Sally Sparrow”
    The Doctor: “Good to meet you Sally Sparrow”.

Chronology: We’ve had 1920, 1969, 2007 and 2008 this week. RTD needs to sort out what year is Saxon’s election – is it 2007 or 2008?

A couple of things Steven Moffat said about “Blink” I can now easily answer. First off I have no idea how this will fair in “best of” polls for Doctor Who episodes but I will be incredibly surprised if the hostility for this episode is anywhere near the same as “Love And Monsters”. Now I liked that episode but this one was easily better thought out and executed. As for Sally Sparrow being the best companion ever, if I didn’t like Martha so much I would insist on The Doctor bringing the resourceful Sally along. Carey Mulligan was excellent and what could’ve easily been a gimmick episode just worked superbly. I love that this show has no qualms with taking risks and with efforts as wonderful as this, long may it last.
  • 'The angels are coming for you but listen. Your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. Good luck'(Spoilers)

Atmospheric, cleverly written and in places a little scary, Steven Moffat’s Blink was a particularly superb episode… and the relatively minor presence of the Doctor was really not an issue. In an old rundown house, Sally Sparrow finds a message for her underneath the wallpaper from a stranger called ‘The Doctor’ warning her of the Weeping Angels. Sinister angel statues are in the garden and seem to be moving… Via a message on a DVD, the Doctor tells Sally the truth about the Weeping Angels. They’re dangerous, deadly… and they have the TARDIS, stranding the Doctor and Martha in 1969. It’s down to Sally to save the day. But there’s one thing she has to remember- don’t blink… Vastly superior to last season’s ‘Doctor-lite’ Love & Monsters, this was great.

The short time that David Tennant has on-screen does not diminish the impact he makes. His stark warning to Sally about the Angels is chilling but is lightened by his description of time as ‘wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff’. Freema has even less to do, sadly, but at least she makes an appearance. And when the main characters are not the main focus of the episode, you either need a decent script or a decent guest cast to make up for it. Whilst Love & Monsters had the second, Blink has both. Carey Mulligan is great as Sally and would, under different circumstances, probably make for a very good companion. She’s intelligent, brave and can take matters into her own hands. What more could you ask for? The tantalising clues left to her by the Doctor initially can be confusing but they all make sense towards the end.

The rest of the guest cast all acquit themselves well, with Finlay Robertson particularly strong as Larry, the geeky net-head who is instrumental in helping Sally solve the mystery. His rapport with Casey was very good. Similarly, Lucy Gaskell and Michael Obiora are good in their roles as Sally’s friend Kathy and DI Billy Shipton respectively. There’s a few poignant moments- notably Sally and the aged Billy Shipton in the hospital which pulled at my manly heartstrings- and a few moments of good old-fashioned terror (notably towards the end when the Angels attack). Whilst not as scary as the little boy in The Empty Child, the Angels were nonetheless an unnerving adversary to go up against. The idea of going up against something that can kill you by sending you back in time to live out your life and die and that can vanquish you if you blink is a scary one. Plus there was a nice little nod at the end with shots of various statuary (most of which is based around Cardiff), which could mean the Angels are still alive… I bet a lot of kids will be checking any statues they pass for the next few days!

It could have been a disaster, but Blink was far from it. Whilst there are stronger episodes within the series for me, this is absolutely fine. And next week sees the return of the delectable John Barrowman! Cannot wait.
  • blink blink and your dead, very good

"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck!"

Rather than have another stab at it himself, this year Russell T. Davies has delegated the season's most difficult episode - the now customary 'Doctor-lite' episode - to one of his best writers. Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw, or maybe Davies realised that an exceptionally talented writer like Steven Moffat could make something out of nothing in the same way that Davies himself did with "Love & Monsters" last year. Whilst he has more lines than he did in "Love & Monsters", in this episode the Doctor exists for the most part as a mysterious, off-screen character. Moffat handles him much in the same way that many of the writers of the novels -- particularly the New Adventures -- did back in the 1990s. I quickly got sick these of 'Doctor-lite' adventures in print, but every once in a while I have to admit that it works spectacularly. It reaffirms that mystery. Gives the audience a new perspective. And, if I was cynical, I'd say that it also allowed the production team to film two episodes at once so that they might squeeze "The Runaway Bride" into their hectic schedule?

And so this week the burden of driving the plot forward lies elsewhere. Just like with Elton in "Love & Monsters" and invisible Eugene in Torchwood's "Random Shoes", this episode is carried by the non-regular character of Sally Sparrow, wonderfully portrayed by this week's leading lady, Carey Mulligan.

KATHRYN: What's good about sad?
    SALLY: It's happy for deep people.

As "Blink" lives or dies by Sally Sparrow, it is fortunate that she is a compelling and endearing character. She is instantly likeable; clever, funny, and with a very dry sense of humour -- she evens laughs at herself quite a bit. She's sort of a twenty-first century Benny Summerfield. thought that the episode was very slow to start. The pre-title sequence was distinctly bland and so, at least up until Kathy's was 'zapped' back in time, the episode didn't really hook me. However, when Kathy did arrive in Hull, 1920, I had to laugh out loud. Not only is it the butt of the old Blackadder joke, but it's also the 'top of the crap map' city? where I went to University and where I just happen to work. It's the Hull Daily Mail, mind, not 'the Hull Times'. You'd think they'd have done their homework?

"Because life is short and you are hot".

Once it got going though, I really enjoyed the episode. Moffat's characters are all so funny and real; I especially liked the smooth young cop, D.I. Billy Shipton. Once he had been 'zapped' back to 1969 we were finally treated to some exposition, courtesy of the Doctor and Martha.

"The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess; no fuss; just zap you into the past and make you live to death."

The Doctor gives Billy a message to deliver to Sally; a message that it will take him 38 years to deliver. The hospital scene where the old, dying Billy finally gives that message to Sally is beautifully written, and really quite melancholy. On the whole, "Blink" may be much more upbeat that Moffat's peerless offering last year, but it still has its "Girl In The Fireplace" moments. Moffat has also really tapped into something with his DVD Easter Eggs -- what a concept! It's one of those fantastic ideas that seem so obvious once they've been done -- the Doctor as a DVD Easter Egg! It's contemporary and cool and children will love it. More than that though, it creates one of those seldom-used, head-scratching time travel plots that Doctor Who just does not do enough. We have one half of a conversation recorded in 1969 and eventually published on just seventeen DVDs as an easter egg. The other half of the conversation is then transcribed in 2007. This transcription is then delivered to the Doctor in 2008 so that when he gets trapped in 1969 he can record his half and thus complete the circle? or should I say complete the 'wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball'?

"They are quantum locked. They don't exist when they are being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature they freeze into rock. No choice; it is a fact of their biology. In the sight of any other living thing they literally turn to stone. And you can't kill a stone. Of course, a stone can't kill you either, but then you turn your head away. Then you blink. And oh yes it can."

There is one devastating moment when on the DVD, the Doctor says that the transcript has run out. The Weeping Angels are coming. From thereon in the fear factor goes through the roof. Larry Nightingale is another brilliant character, but amusing as he may be throughout (with all his nerdish quips like "I've got that on a T-Shirt" etc.), he's even more entertaining when, if you'll pardon my French, he's **** himself. It's those wide-eyes. He's desperately trying not to blink. But that's the instinct isn't it? Cover the eyes. But he can't, or he's dead. You can't hide behind the sofa because that is when they'll get you. Genius.

I thought that the most frightening sequence was outside the TARDIS in the basement. When one of the Angels (somehow) does something to the light and it begins to flicker, the Angels begin to move in short bursts. Hettie MacDonald -- the first woman to direct an episode since 1985 -- has shot and edited this part beautifully; it is absolutely chilling. The statues move almost like a piece of animation. A quick series of grotesque freezes. It's horrible. But thankfully, even in his absence the Doctor saves the day. He allows Sally and Larry into the TARDIS which then dematerialises around them. Of course, those pesky Angels were outside it, shaking it about. What they didn't see coming was that once it had dematerialised, they'd all be looking square at each other. Checkmate.

"Blink" ends flawlessly -- the closing montage of all those statues and gargoyles juxtaposed with the Doctor's "don't blink" speech will doubtless leave a generation of children with a deep-rooted fear of statues, gargoyles and grotesques. And if we're honest, probably quite a few adults too? All told, "Blink" was never going to be a monumental episode like "The Empty Child" or my personal favourite, "The Girl In The Fireplace". You just can't have an episode with that sort of weight without your regular cast. However, given the choice between a 'Doctor-lite' episode of this kind of quality or a Stargate-style clip show, I know which I'd choose every time. The fact that this episode was far better than "The Lazarus Experiment" and "42" - both of which had a full cast, big-name guest stars and a bucketload of C.GI. -- says it all really. With "Blink", Moffat has written an episode that will undoubtedly chill Britain on a warm summer's night.
  • A well-written thriller!

I was prepared to hate this episode. Like "Love and Monsters" in last season, this episode allowed the leads more time filming the previous two-parter. I'd assumed it would be a second-rate episode that, like "L & M", left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not so. The writers deftly joined the Doctor Who universe with a tight little thriller. Killer statues (well, not exactly killer) have stolen the Tardis and the Doctor needs Sally Sparrow's help - from almost 40 years in the past.

It's a whirlwind ride of confusing time jumps and menacing statuary that, despite what I'd assumed, really worked. One question though: Why didn't anyone just setup mirrors in front of the statues? Surely if they froze when seen, they'd freeze on seeing themselves. But, then, I don't have a degree in quantum mechanics.
  • Red Light, Green Light, Run for Your Life!

Wow, this was a great episode. I loved the Doctor and Martha, but I didn't miss them - I was too busy wondering what those Weeping Angels were going to do. Okay, I was looking at my neighbor's garden angel in a new light after seeing "Blink"! I have watched it repeatedly - loved the romantic play between the CUTE Detective Shipton and Sally ("Shipton. SPARROW!"). Classic "Doctor-isms" and continued surprises - I didn't guess the arc on this one at all. This is an episode for all us die-hard fans to show "non-believers" - they will really enjoy it.
  • Terrifying!

I've been watching Doctor Who since it came back on and none of the episodes have scared me like they scared me watching as a child. Except this one! It was very well done even for an episode without so much of the Doctor and Martha in it. The Weeping Angels were such a fantastic idea, things that didn't kill you but sent you back so far in time you wouldn't be able to see your friends or family again which is more terrifying that being destroyed. The statues were sooo creepy and for about two days after I watched it I wouldn't look at any statues at all in case one of them crept up behind me! Sally Sparrow was a bit annoying though, I hope she's not brought back at a later stage.
  • The Doctor and Martha are trapped and need help, from someone in the future (or the present, depending on your point of view)

This was announced as a Doctor-light episode, meaning Tennant had more time to film on last week's two-parter and was not going to appear as much in this episode.

That may very well be the case, but this is still a quintessentially Doctor Who episode with a brilliant script and a great protagonist. It displayed a wonderful approach to all the little intricacies of time travel and meeting people that have met you, but whom you haven't met.

Sally is a brave character and it was very nice that her friend had a great and happy life starting back in 1920. On the other hand, it was very evil yet fun and typically Doctor Who, to end this episode with lots and lots of statues and I'm sure children all over the UK will be watching statues for any sign of movement!
  • ...and you thought last weeks was good.

...It was but this is better.

Last years Doctor lite episode "Love and Monsters" was a load of tripe a double let down fro me as both a Who fan and a Peter Kay fan. I was worried this was going to be more of the same. I was wrong. Very wrong.

This episode has it all. A cracking story which makes sense (where as a lot of these temporal ones don't), excellent funny script (exploding hens?!?!) genuinley scary enemies and surely the best companion who never was in Sally Sparrow.
    Get her on board the TARDIS as quick as possible. Not instead of Martha but as well as. As long as the writers avoided any love triangle jibba jabba i think it would work.

However the biggest selling point for me was that the angels made my girlfriend actually scream the first time you saw their teeth!!

Winner!
  • The season finally jumps into gear with an exciting, genuinely frighting, series clasic.

Wow. Where did that come from? After a run of poor or at best average episodes (ok, Human Nature was alright) this one rises majestically above the rest of the season. The characters are all well drawn and the direction is great. The script is polished and original. Sally Sparrow is a fantastic creation, why isn't she the new companion instead of dreary Catherine Tate's grating Donna? Clever and inventive just what Naughties DW should be, not the usual derivitive histrionic rubbish we mostly get served up from the new series. Well done Steven Moffat. Well done Carey Mulligan. Well done Hettie MacDonald. More of this in S4.
  • "Yea the Sparrow hath found her an house..."

Nobody who watches Blink could fail to fall in love with Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan). She's honest, open-minded, intelligent and comely in a way that's so natural the Soil Association could certify her 100% organic - great work by Carey.

But all that is as nothing compared to the jaw-dropping, technical sophistication of the plot, which, by playing and replaying a DVD of the Doctor, ensures that his ‘security blanket’ presence is on hand even when David Tennant isn't.

That's not to say the episode is flawless. Sally's behaviour sometimes defies common sense, despite Blink poking fun at TV shows whose heroes are commonsensically deficient. And the Lonely Assassins themselves crack and crumble under the pressure of sustained analysis. But anybody who sits back with the intent of enjoying the episode will swoon.
  • Time is a wibbly wobbly round thing

After the last episode, I was thinking the worst. The last episode was a very special one indeed and one of the best, tradition states that a classic episode is usually followed by an episode that brings the series straight back to ground level.

Well this one just elevates the series even higher in my estimation. First off dealing with time is always a tricky thing. The series usually takes the straight line route, in that their is a beginning and end.

This episode breaks the line and by the end you will realize that time is truly a wibbly wobbly round thing, in that the ending caused the beginning?????????.

To summarize: the angels where well creepy, Its a shame this is probably the last time we see Miss Sparrow (boy is it hot in this room). I now just want the series to get stronger and stronger, bring on the next episode and welcome back Captain Jack, HMMMMMMM Captain Jack - Miss Sparrow !!!!!?????!!!!!, WOW, I hope that was a coincidence
  • Steven Moffat crafts one the the smartest, and the best doctor who episodes ever. He writes real drama, without the razzal dazzal of alot of series three. RTD has somthing to learn from this fellow.

I'll admit it right here, I was scared for this episode. The fact that it did not follow the doctor and Martha scared me because of the crap that Love and Monsters was....below quickly I forgot that Love and Monsters was written by RTD. This is Steven Moffat

I do not want to spoil it, but here's the basis of it all. Sally Sparrows is being contacted by a mysterious Doctor on a little Easter egg on 17 different DVDs....the thing is that the message comes from 1969 and...I'll stop there. This episode in reason three, is like a well of water in the desert. Its flawless, and without a doubt the most cleverly plotted episode of the new series of doctor who. I can tell Steven Moffat puts alot of thought into his episodes.

Maffar knows how to freak you out. There is no razzal dazzle, no stupid scary monster. Maffar has a talent to creep you out, to get your heart racing. Why doesn't he have RTD's job?
  • Blink and die!

This episode stars Sally Sparrow, Lawrence Nightingale and of course, The Weeping Angels. The weeping angels are the perfect monsters, being that their only weakness is that they can't move when someones watching them. So don't blink, blink and the angels will get you. Their power isn't that impressive, though. All they can do is send you back in time and have you die in the same year you left. The finale where Lawrence and Sally got into the Tardis and sealed the weeping angels fate because they were looknig at each other was an awesome end. And when the past selves of the doctor and martha came there and sally gave them the script thing brought everything into full circle.
  • One of the best episodes this series.

I was very pleased when the credits showed this episode was written by Steven Moffat, judging by the other episodes he has written ("The Empty Child", "The Doctor Dances" and "The Girl in the Fireplace") I knew it would stand out. Tucked between an emotional two parter and the awaited return of Captain Jack, I wasn't expecting such a gripping episode. The "weeping angels" were rather disturbing, but I won't say much more. Plus, even though the Doctor did not appear very much in the episode, I didn't notice that until someone pointed it out, I was completely enthralled by the story. Definitely an episode to watch.
  • Sally Sparrow finds some odd happenings at an abandoned house. Cryptic messages, creepy angel statues, disappearing people, and the series of DVD easter eggs with the same man, this Doctor, apparently having a conversation with himself...

Like last year with "Love & Monsters", "Blink" is an episode that features very little Doctor in it and instead gives us an adventure with a young, modern individual thrust into extraordinary circumstances with the Doctor at the fringes. "Love & Monsters" worked mostly due to its performances by the actors who made you (or at least me) care about the characters. Could this one do the same?

Well, if my rating is any indication, that would be a resounding yes! Written by Steven Moffat, the scribe who brought us previous sublime gems "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" and "The Girl in the Fireplace", "Blink" is another outstanding entry in the modern Doctor Who story. This is due in large part to our main protagonist Sally Sparrow, played perfectly by beautiful guest star Carey Mulligan. As others have said in various places I've seen, if they made Sally a companion, I would have absolutely no problem with it (She even has the name for it. "Sally Sparrow". Ha!) Filled with witty, sparkling dialogue, memorable minor characters, a story filled with charm and tragedy, and featuring a rather creepy villain, this episode brings the best of Doctor Who and from beginning to end is a pleasure to watch.
  • The creepiest episode yet!

This episode of Doctor Who is one of the best and creepiest of the bunch. In this episode the Doctor and Martha do not appear very often, and when they do they are in a DVD, but it really doesnt matter! The whole concept of not being able to Blink or move because the Weeping Angel Statues will get you is very nerve-wracking. Also, this episode keeps you wondering how the Doctor is communicating with Sally Sparrow (the main character) from 1969 (the time period he and Martha are stuck in). This episode has everything: action, suspense, drama, mystery, creepiness, and humor (which every Doctor Who episode simply has to have). This episode is deffinatly one of the best so far in this series. Anyone who has missed this episode has missed out on something special.
  • A brilliant episode! Watch it now!

This episode is great because it's original, unique and totally gripping - everything that I want from a Doctor Who episode. 'Blink' is a Doctor-lite episode with him and Martha mostly seen on easter eggs on DVD's 9but it's supremely better than the last episode that tried this, Love and Monsters).

'Blink' focuses mainly on Sally Sparrow, a new character who I could see becoming the Doctor's next assistant. Anyway, Sally is up against the 'weeping angels' - stone statues who can move whenever you aren't looking at them, but turn to stone forever when they look at each other. I thought that they were really creepy and they certainly made me jump.

This is a must see episode guaranteed to keep you watching (unless the weeping angels have you hiding behind your cushion)!
  • What a fantastic episode!!!!

This weeks episode of Doctor Who was absolutley fantastic!! Brilliant storyline and even creepier villains. I hated statues before i saw this and i now hate them even more, particularly thanks to the ending montage.

It follows Sally Sparrow as she enters a creepy house late at night. She peels off the wallpaper to reveal a message to her from "The Doctor". All it says is "Beware the weeping angels". This leads to all sorts of revelations, from her best friend and a potential date who both get sent back in time from the evil villains. All i can say is what a fantastic episode this was, and beware of statues!!
  • I LOVED this episode, even though it barely features the Doctor. The Weeping Angels pull people out of the present and thrust them into the past; then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them. CREEPY!

This is an episode that barely features the Doctor, yet his presence haunts the entire story. The enemy is pulling people out of the present and thrusting them into the past, forcing them to live out their lives long ago. The Weeping Angels then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them.
    The entire episode is filled with wonderful, spooky moments, and four wonderfully realized, spooky bad guys. The scene where the Angel in the living room is creeping up on Larry Nightingale was truly spectacularly frightening! The sequence in the basement, with the angels surrounding the TARDIS, presented with a strobe light-like quality, was likewise nerve-wrenching!
    As with any well-rounded story, there needs to be elements that connect you to the characters. I found many parts of this episode very touching, especially when Sally meets Billy again at the end of his life. I feel that we are supposed to understand that she was meant to have had a future with him (as hinted at by the character accidentally calling herself by his last name), yet not only did Billy lose all of these wonderful moments, so did Sally.
    Without giving away too much, this episode managed to feel like Doctor Who, yet also feel completely fresh and unlike any episode I had ever seen before. It was simply brilliant! It was a great spooky episode, and managed to be scary without resorting to cliches like cats jumping out of cupboards.
    This could definitely be on a Halloween Night must-see list!
  • Beware the Weeping Angels!

This was a great episode! My favorite for this season so far! The statues were real creepy! The scariest monsters on Doctor Who, ever! The scariest part, for me, was not when the statues were going after one of the characters, but when they were going after the TARDIS in the police garage! Real nail biter!
    This episode was way better than last season's "Love and Monsters!" which was done in the same format, concentrating on characters who are not regulars! Can't wait for the next episode with Captain Jack! Looking forward to his first meeting with the new Doctor!
< 1 2 3 4