Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• A good Horror Drama thats worth watching though don't read to much into the time travel aspect of it all.

For any children who viewed this episode this will be a classic episode and one which they will remember as the best horror dramas are always something that you can relate too [Sapphire & Steel anyone?] in this case Writer Stephen Moffet has used Statues; something that viewers will always see everywhere.

This episode doesn't rely on fancy effects to move the story as its all in the editing and story telling surprisingly Martha and the Doctor take a back seat. This ep had obvious roots from Back To The Future Part II as the letter is given to Sally. I felt what let this ep down was the time travel aspect, some of it was good other parts were just unconvincing. Sorry Mr Moffet, but saying that interveening on future events will cause some sort of cataustropic upsetting of the universe seems a little like a plot oversight coverup - the Doctor does it all the time see; Day Of The Daleks. Could he mean the Blinovich Limitation Effect or is he just trying to save his own skin to get the Tardis back? Logically, if the police guy had gone back in time then he could have told his future self not to help Sally and a new timeline would have been set up and none of this would have happened to him! Besides if those Weeping Angels did put you back in time as you now know future events then you can technically alter history for your own gain.
  • sally sparrow sees a mysterious person called the doctor on TV and is being hunted by the weeping angels

This is season 3's equivalent of season 2's "Love and monsters", because this is the episode where the Doctor only plays a minor role. The hero of this story, is instead, is ally sparrow and ordinary woman who lives in London. when she checks out and abandoned house she sees some strange statues, soon afterwards she starts seeing the Doctor on a DVD extra. The story is quite well done, and it has quite an original monster, able to send people back in time, they're one of the scarier monsters, although they don't compare to the daleks. the main problem was that the storyline was a bit slow in places. overall it was a decent episode but not groundbreaking.
  • See, it was good.....but....

I just felt we were missing something. Maybe it was too hyped as being the "scariest" Doctor Who episode in a long while. But I found it didn't even compare with the Satan Pit or The Unquiet Dead etc etc. Sure the angels and the blinking was a a great idea. But there was too much story in the build up to it.
  • "Yea the Sparrow hath found her an house..."

Nobody who watches Blink could fail to fall in love with Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan). She's honest, open-minded, intelligent and comely in a way that's so natural the Soil Association could certify her 100% organic - great work by Carey.

But all that is as nothing compared to the jaw-dropping, technical sophistication of the plot, which, by playing and replaying a DVD of the Doctor, ensures that his ‘security blanket’ presence is on hand even when David Tennant isn't.

That's not to say the episode is flawless. Sally's behaviour sometimes defies common sense, despite Blink poking fun at TV shows whose heroes are commonsensically deficient. And the Lonely Assassins themselves crack and crumble under the pressure of sustained analysis. But anybody who sits back with the intent of enjoying the episode will swoon.
  • fantastic episode

this episode was thrilling, exciting and clearly the best of series 3. the only reason i am giving it 9.9 instead of 10 is because the doctor hardly appeared in it.
    but this was a fabtastic episode and i cant wait for series 4 to start. s o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o oo o o o o o o o o o oo o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o cool! well done bbc!
  • Doctor Who: Blink Sally Sparrow gets a cryptic message from the Doctor and then from her best mate, both of whom somehow are communicating with her from the past. And what's with all these weeping angel statues.

God I love this show. A fine example of this shows timey-wimey wondrous genius. Time travel can be confusing enough what with paradoxes, and past events happening in the future and vice versa. This show and specifically this episode makes simply brilliant use of these devices, and does it with a sly smirk and a hey how do you do? Another episode in which the Doctor's genius is sprinkled in small doses while other one ordinary folk get to strut their heroic muscles, like Love & Monsters from Season 2. Sally Sparrow; this episode's happenstance heroine, is deftly portrayed by the absolute entrancing Carey Mulligan. She has a kind of early Katy Holmes-esque vibe, but a style and beauty all her own. Playing perfect foil to Finlay Robertson's DVD obsessesed Larry Nightingale, as they unravel the clues and battle the Weeping Angels. A quick aside for those keeping track of the dedication of Miss Martha Jones. As if dealing with the Familly of Blood after a month putting up with being the Doctor's; nay John Smith's servant in the not so afro-friendly early 1900s, wasn't enough. In this episode she spends a bunch of time in good old 1969 working in a shop to support our inter-dimensional man of mystery. The Doctor better realize how lucky he is.
  • Fantastic Episode

This was a great episode. Very scary! I thought it was fantastic!

Wonderful acting! Great Story! Fantastic aliens! And awesome special effects! What more could you ask for!

This was definately one of the best episodes so far!
    You cant miss it!

I loved the bit with "The angels have the phone box" lol
    I want a T-Short! lol

The angels were fantastic! Great costuming. This was a well written and directed episode. I really ejoyed it.

I cant get over how great it is.
    Its pretty frightening so beware lol

Even though there wasnt much of The Doctor the actor for Sally Sparrow was great. I think she has some great talent and is sure to go far in the future.
    A must see episode!

FANTASTIC!!
  • "Don't turn around, don't look away, and never, ever.. Blink."

This weeks episode doesn't feature the Doctor much at all - infact, at first (I missed the first few minutes, including the introduction) I was almost certain I was watching a Torchwood episode. But no, it was more like 'Love & Monsters', where the Doctor helps out but the story is not based around him.

Basically, The Doctor is stuck in 1969 without his TARDIS, which means he cannot travel forward in time. Sally Sparrow is investigating an old building when she finds "Beware. Beware of the Weeping Angel. Duck. Duck, Sally Sparrow! The Doctor (1969)" written on one of the walls. She ducks, just avoiding a rock that had been thrown at her! Looking around, you can see a statue of an angel, with hands covering its eyes.

Sally visit's a friend, Kathy Nightingale, and asks her to come and investigate with her. She agrees, and they make there way up to the mysterious house. Once they reach the 'weeping angel', Sally notices that it has moved closer to the house than the day before. She then questions Kathy about the writing on the wall "How did this man know my name?". Then there is a knock at the door. Sally goes to answer it, but Kathy stops here, saying "What if it's a burglar?". Sally replies "Oh, yeah.. A burglar that knocks?" and goes to answer it. Because of the way it is done, you expect an enemy to be there - but no, it is a normal man. He says "I was told to deliver this letter at this exact place and exact time to Sally Sparrow." Sally asks "Who si it from?" and the man replys "Katherine Nightingale Wainwright". Sally thinks this is all a joke, as that is her friends name. She calls for Kathy, but recieves no answer. She had been watching from the door, her back to the weeping angel. And now she has dissapeared. Isn't that a coincidence?

Kathy is found in a field, and she asks a man where she is. She is told that she is in Hull. She does not believe him until he shows the local newspaper. It shows her that she is in Hull. It also shows her that she is in 1920.

87 years later, Sally is taking the letter from the man. She reads it: "Dear Sally. If everything goes well, it should be only moments since you last saw me. I have led a happy life with the first man I met in 1920". Included in the package are pictures of her and her children, and a request to contact Larry, a worker in a DVD shop. Sally doesn't believe a word, and heads upstairs to look for her. She finds four massive weeping angels in the room, one holding a key on a string. She takes the key, and quickly goes back down. The man has left.

Sally decides to go to Larry. She sees a video of the doctor being played on a screen. She asks who that man is, and Larry explains that he is an easter egg on 17 different DVD's. All are unlinked, and not even the manufacturers know that they are there. When Larry pauses the video, it often unpauses. Larry gives Sally a list of all the 17 DVD's that this easter egg can be found on. As she is leaving, another worker at the DVD shop (who is watching a film) shouts 'Why don't you just go to the police, you stupid woman!' at the screen, and that gives Sally an idea.

She hurrys across the road to the Police Station, and meets Billy Shipton. He shows her cars that have been found outside the house, their owners missing. Sally also asks about the big blue box in the corner, and Billy tells her that it is a fake police box - and they cannot open it, because no key fits it.

Sally leaves, but then remembers the key the weeping angel was holding. She goes back, but before she arrives Billy meets a load of weeping angels himself. And guess what? He Blinks. Next thing he knows, he is in 1969 with the Doctor. As this is the longest review I have ever written.. Well, its more like the whole story than a review.. I am not going to write any more stuff, as you have probably (if you have not already closed the window) had enough of me babbling on about it - and I don't want to ruin the story for you too much. For the full story, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_%28Doctor_Who%29. Basically, its a great episode - the first thing I have ever rated 9.9, so find out when its going to be repeated, and watch it! Or if you have already seen it, watch it again! Uhm.. Bye :D
  • Tightly plotted, incredibly well acted, and very atmospheric scary story.

A lot of people have complained about the Doctor and Martha being offscreen for most of the episode. For my money, this is what makes the episode so strong, because the focus is on a character who doesn't have any experience dealing with some of Who's more alien and bizarre monsters. Most of the credit goes to the genius of Steven Moffat's script, which creates what is an incredibly scary monster, one so easy to escape and yet so difficult to defeat.

But a lot of the success rests on the shoulders of Carey Mulligan, who basically carries the story as Sally Sparrow. Good premise or not, without such a likable actress in the role, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

So this is a story that is best told on a dark and stormy night, with those you love close by your side.

But whatever you do, DON'T BLINK!
  • It's always fun to be in the know when the characters aren't. Perfect episode!

I loved this episode; I watched it twice in a row, almost without blinking. I love episodes where we, as the viewer, are able to see the Doctor through the eyes of someone who hasn't met him before, who doesn't know what he can do or what it's all about. It's almost like coming to the series anew.

Of course I could say all sorts of things about the awesome acting, fantastic special effects, etc... but that's just what I've come to expect from the show. This particular episode is great because of the fabulous writing and stunning suspense. I think it's one of the scariest, best episodes the show has ever had, and Doctor Who continues to raise the bar and get better and better.
  • An excellent episode

I am not a major fan of the new Doctor Who, having grown up on the old one. However, I am very happy that it is back, and do understand the need to appeal to new and younger viewers. I am not really into the overt emotion of the new one - the Doctor falling for various assistants etc. However, I must say that in season 3, teh series has really improved. In particular - this episode 'Blink' - is really exceptional. I cannot remember any episode - new or old - that is better than this one. It is clever and interesting and has a great surprise at the end, both in the solution and origination of the story. It is as good as it gets. I hope they sustain this quality - because if they do, I think I will be experiencing a conversion.
  • one of the "scary" ones

starts with a bang and never lets up.

this is why i watch the show. well-written. lots of suspense which works better for me than sci-fi talk.

almost more of a mystery/horror episode than a typical Doctor Who.

statues are really freaky. they work better at creating fear than any special effects monster on the series. reminds me of the "Empty Child" episode and how scary the boy with the gas mask was (see also the film "The Orphanage".

maybe the best episode of the new series. i felt some of this season was weak so this was a pleasant surprise.

don't miss this one.
  • Brilliant!

I had missed this one when it aired on Sci-Fi here in the States and at the time I just kinda figured no big deal. Then I finally watched it after catching up on the ones I missed from series 1 and 2 and I have to say that was Bloody Freaking Brilliant! Amazing for the fact that it was good even though there was very little of the Doctor and Martha in the episode. Much better than the last time this was tried in Love and Monsters. Its really too bad they couldn't have brought Sally Sparrow along to be a new companion, I'm thinking she would have been an excellent companion.
  • Sally Sparrow happens upon "murderous" angels to help the Doctor and Martha who are trapped in 1969.

Seriously the best episode of the season. Very very good. Sally Sparrow finds her name and other ominous words written on a wall in an abandoned house. In the course of solving this mystery she loses her best friend in 1920, sort of, a potential date in 1969, sort of and helps the Doctor and Martha escape from 1969 where they are trapped. Martha was fully unhappy to be working in a shop to support the Doctor, exactly right. A somewhat non-linear episode full of twists, turns, and timey-wimey... sort of...
    Definitely one of the best episode of the entire series.
  • One of the best ever.

My friend told me that this was the best episode he had ever seen and after watching it twice, I agree this episode was special in a lot of ways. I liked how it was not doctor related but from a third party point of view and the ending was also so clever. This is the second time that they gave us an unexpected ending that leads us to a complete time loop.
    It is as if a new writer has taken over as the last three episodes have a different feel to them. I cannot wait to see the next episode.
  • Best of this season...

This was a fabulous episode. I've found that I really enjoy the ones where the doctor impacts multiple parts of a person (or persons) lives, like the episode "The girl in the fireplace" last season.

I really enjoyed trying to figure it out, and really got lost in the story for a bit, but it all came around full circle. Then end, when she realizes she gave him the info was perfect (and the hand-holding). The angels were truly scary, throughout.

Oh and even though she missed out on spending life with her best friend, there was still a Nightingale and Sparrow, how great!
  • Extremely refreshing episode...

After the last few episodes of Doctor Who, I thought that this show has finally lost it's charm. And then I saw Blink.

For starters, it's hard to believe that the same person that wrote "The Girl in the Fireplace" wrote "Blink". Cause, although both episodes feature problem of flexibility of time - "The Girl in the Fireplace" was so out of the character for Doctor, and I couldn't convince myself to like it. Well, mostly cause I'm a big fan of Rose, and don't like to watch Doctor with other women, but still. I know that I'm not the only one who saw that enormous change in Doctors character there. In "Blink" there is no Doctor, though you can see him everywhere - there are only two real-time scenes with Doctor and Martha.

One of the best things about "Blink" is amazing performance of actress who played Sally Sparrow. Every single character in this episode has an important role, and it all kinda leads to revealing a mystery of this weeks villains - "weeping angles", assassins in form of a rock statues, old as time.

I'm kinda grateful we didn't get to see much of a Martha Jones, cause honestly, I really tried, but I just don't feel it... Nor any sympathies towards her, nor any chemistry between her and Doctor. Bored now.

When I first heard everyone praising "Blink" and amazing Sally Sparrow, I thought we're gonna see another out-of-the-character sad love story, but I was pleasantly surprised, cause "Blink" is one of those episodes of a show that you can watch even without knowing plot or characters, and still be heavily impressed.
  • It was a really refreshing episode, especially straight after the double when The Doctor had to become human to avoid detection. Isn't Sally cute!

I'm a big sucker for time paradoxes. Like the best in the Star Trek series, this one is all about the heroine Sally piecing together clues in the present time to help The Doctor and Martha back from 1969. I couldn't help but think it must've been a conscious effort by The Doctor when he does leave 1969, he chose not to affect any of the time leading up to his eventual rescue, which meant those affected by the "angels" were still affected - no rewriting history here!

Certainly very hard to wrap one's brain around the DVD easter egg question and answers between The Doctor and Sally. Everything seems to be happening as intended, so in a way, The Doctor must've known he was going to be saved anyway.

It's almost inconsequential that The Doctor and Martha are playing almost a cameo role in this episode. A bit like episodes on Miss Marple where she's not necessarily the main murder mystery solver!
  • Awesome writing. Genuinely haunting

Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, a TV episode transcends its roots and its very media and becomes something very special. These are rare occurrences; so rare I can probably count them on one hand. Some series waste excellent acting and characters with tired, formulaic plots - House is a good example of that. There’s an episode in the first season, Three Stories, that is breathtaking in its depth and execution. But since then House has hinted that it has that possibility but has never used it. A shame.
    So what is it that stunned Nialli into slack-jawed awe? Doctor Who last week – Blink. Written by the excellent Steven Moffat (who previously wrote the “Are you my mummy?” and Marie Antoinette episodes, by far the best of previous seasons), this was genuinely haunting, mind bending stuff. Great plays on time travel, daring (the Doctor appears only briefly), innovative (the Doctor communicates via DVD Easter Eggs) and pervasively chilling – this had it all. Superbly acted and directed, this was just so good my words can’t do it justice. Bravo.
    The Doctor’s the third season took a while to get going, but with this and the previous, 1913-set two-parter (which ended with the Doctor being quite sadistic to the monsters – delicious), this is shaping up to be something rather special. If you missed Blink, beg borrow or steal a copy. You will not be disappointed.
  • an absolute gem of an episode :)

I was born in 1970 and one of my memories growing up was watching a great tv show dr who. I had never really bothered with the last few incarnations of the doctor till christopher eccleston reprised the roll in 2005 (this is an actor i have great respect for). I have not been disappointed with the return of this show, and i enjoy sitting down saturday night with my young children and watching it with them (as i had done with my dad). This last saturday we where busy so i recorded it and watched it sunday, boy am i glad i didn't miss this episode :) it was well written, well acted and fantastically put together - even the limited screen time for the dr and miss jones didn't cause any issues for me, for me so far this season this was the highlight episode of a great season. Bring on the finale :)
  • Excellent episode and well written, they just keep getting better!

Very good viewing. My daughters insisted on watching it then remained behind the cushions for the rest of the episode. Those scarey looking Weeping Angels are so much more scary than the Daleks! It's going to be hard to beat this episode but i'll definately be tuning in to see if they've accomplished it!. Statues give me the creeps now!!
  • Scary, creepy and just plain awesome.

It's hard to put my thoughts together for this episode, considering I've just finished watching it in the middle of the night and am now sitting in my very well lit room kind of creeped out still. I loved this episode so much I just had to get online and review it though I rarely do that.

That was absolutely the scariest hour of television I've seen in a good while - in the beginning the statues were already creepy, but by the end when the teeth came out? I shudder at the mere thought. I absolutely loved Sally Sparrow. She started out a stranger but as the episode went on, she just completely won me over to the point where I think she would make a great companion for the Doctor. I liked her so much I can even forgive how little of the Doctor there was in this episode. I also very much enjoyed all the little clues in the episode. The Weeping Angels taking both Cathy and Billy into the past and her getting messages from them was bittersweet. Absolutely one of the best, if not *the* best episode of this show. Just fantastic.
  • Bloody Brilliant - once again

Again, a fine example of why this season of DW is the best of the lot. the entire concept behind it was well thoughtout, filmed, acted, and cast!

While the absence of the Doctor was well-done, we see in the end that it all comes together when the final truth of it all is revealed to us.

Brilliant story, very Twilight Zone in nature, very informative in the history/timeline of the Doctor and his companion.

To see that even in the past, the Doctor relies on his companion to supply him with "life" is nice, resentful as she is about it on DVD, she is happy to be with him in any time and place. The beings were genuinly creepy considering they are everywhere in the European world - not so much here in the states, but it will make you think twice when you drive by the next Catholic cemetary with it's winged angels statues all about!

Well done Everyone - Cheers from America!
  • Without a doubt the very best episode of the new Doctor thus far. Incredible writing, wonderful acting, and an amazing plot that kept you right up to the last minute.

While the Doctor is as well portrayed as usual by Tennant, the surrounding cast is very strong in this episode, made even better by exceptional writing that blows away any other show on atm.

If anyone rates this as anything less than a 10 they probably didn't see the episode. Kudos to all involved. I was very, very impressed. (Enough to write a review on TV.com, which I never do.)
  • ...But its still a corker...and very creepy too. But not my favourite episode

yes all in all it is a very good episode that(of course)needs multiple viewings to get a full understanding and a full enjoyment for this episode.
    but it does lack that something special that makes most episodes work.
    on first viewing i was really confused with some of the things the main characters(not the Doc this time round)were babbling on about.
    but nevertheless after rewatching i managed to enjoy it much more and the weeping angels are really creepy.
    Unfortunately this episode was at the wrong end of series 3 as it aired right after the scorching two parter Human Nature/Family Of Blood(which in many ways i prefer over this episode).
    This is definately not Moffats best work,he makes his masterpiece in series fours terrific Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead two parter(which is terrifying and terrific).
    the thing that makes this extra special is the excellent direction and the soundtrack...it also acts like a sort of slasher film as the angels pick off their victims one by one...which only adds to its enjoyment factor.
    Utopia for me is the best episode of this series along with the two parter before this,and i cant help but feel that this episode would have worked much better if it had aired in the first half of the series.
    but thats just my opinion.
    Not the best episode of New Who,but its a very good one.
  • Best Doctor Who episode so far.

I have been into Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days and to be honest I cannot consider myself as a fan of the new show. The reason being that I think most of the stories (before this one) were pretty lame. Come on!! you cannot get any worse than pig aliens (or whatever they were) can you? - BUT... over the past 3 episodes I have seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of the episodes. It was like the top brass called the production staff over to their office and gave them a good old kick in the behind and told them to crank up the quality of the show. It also seems like the show is now targeting a more adult audience. I just hope that the quality of the show will remain on these levels.
  • blink blink and your dead, very good

"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck!"

Rather than have another stab at it himself, this year Russell T. Davies has delegated the season's most difficult episode - the now customary 'Doctor-lite' episode - to one of his best writers. Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw, or maybe Davies realised that an exceptionally talented writer like Steven Moffat could make something out of nothing in the same way that Davies himself did with "Love & Monsters" last year. Whilst he has more lines than he did in "Love & Monsters", in this episode the Doctor exists for the most part as a mysterious, off-screen character. Moffat handles him much in the same way that many of the writers of the novels -- particularly the New Adventures -- did back in the 1990s. I quickly got sick these of 'Doctor-lite' adventures in print, but every once in a while I have to admit that it works spectacularly. It reaffirms that mystery. Gives the audience a new perspective. And, if I was cynical, I'd say that it also allowed the production team to film two episodes at once so that they might squeeze "The Runaway Bride" into their hectic schedule?

And so this week the burden of driving the plot forward lies elsewhere. Just like with Elton in "Love & Monsters" and invisible Eugene in Torchwood's "Random Shoes", this episode is carried by the non-regular character of Sally Sparrow, wonderfully portrayed by this week's leading lady, Carey Mulligan.

KATHRYN: What's good about sad?
    SALLY: It's happy for deep people.

As "Blink" lives or dies by Sally Sparrow, it is fortunate that she is a compelling and endearing character. She is instantly likeable; clever, funny, and with a very dry sense of humour -- she evens laughs at herself quite a bit. She's sort of a twenty-first century Benny Summerfield. thought that the episode was very slow to start. The pre-title sequence was distinctly bland and so, at least up until Kathy's was 'zapped' back in time, the episode didn't really hook me. However, when Kathy did arrive in Hull, 1920, I had to laugh out loud. Not only is it the butt of the old Blackadder joke, but it's also the 'top of the crap map' city? where I went to University and where I just happen to work. It's the Hull Daily Mail, mind, not 'the Hull Times'. You'd think they'd have done their homework?

"Because life is short and you are hot".

Once it got going though, I really enjoyed the episode. Moffat's characters are all so funny and real; I especially liked the smooth young cop, D.I. Billy Shipton. Once he had been 'zapped' back to 1969 we were finally treated to some exposition, courtesy of the Doctor and Martha.

"The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess; no fuss; just zap you into the past and make you live to death."

The Doctor gives Billy a message to deliver to Sally; a message that it will take him 38 years to deliver. The hospital scene where the old, dying Billy finally gives that message to Sally is beautifully written, and really quite melancholy. On the whole, "Blink" may be much more upbeat that Moffat's peerless offering last year, but it still has its "Girl In The Fireplace" moments. Moffat has also really tapped into something with his DVD Easter Eggs -- what a concept! It's one of those fantastic ideas that seem so obvious once they've been done -- the Doctor as a DVD Easter Egg! It's contemporary and cool and children will love it. More than that though, it creates one of those seldom-used, head-scratching time travel plots that Doctor Who just does not do enough. We have one half of a conversation recorded in 1969 and eventually published on just seventeen DVDs as an easter egg. The other half of the conversation is then transcribed in 2007. This transcription is then delivered to the Doctor in 2008 so that when he gets trapped in 1969 he can record his half and thus complete the circle? or should I say complete the 'wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball'?

"They are quantum locked. They don't exist when they are being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature they freeze into rock. No choice; it is a fact of their biology. In the sight of any other living thing they literally turn to stone. And you can't kill a stone. Of course, a stone can't kill you either, but then you turn your head away. Then you blink. And oh yes it can."

There is one devastating moment when on the DVD, the Doctor says that the transcript has run out. The Weeping Angels are coming. From thereon in the fear factor goes through the roof. Larry Nightingale is another brilliant character, but amusing as he may be throughout (with all his nerdish quips like "I've got that on a T-Shirt" etc.), he's even more entertaining when, if you'll pardon my French, he's **** himself. It's those wide-eyes. He's desperately trying not to blink. But that's the instinct isn't it? Cover the eyes. But he can't, or he's dead. You can't hide behind the sofa because that is when they'll get you. Genius.

I thought that the most frightening sequence was outside the TARDIS in the basement. When one of the Angels (somehow) does something to the light and it begins to flicker, the Angels begin to move in short bursts. Hettie MacDonald -- the first woman to direct an episode since 1985 -- has shot and edited this part beautifully; it is absolutely chilling. The statues move almost like a piece of animation. A quick series of grotesque freezes. It's horrible. But thankfully, even in his absence the Doctor saves the day. He allows Sally and Larry into the TARDIS which then dematerialises around them. Of course, those pesky Angels were outside it, shaking it about. What they didn't see coming was that once it had dematerialised, they'd all be looking square at each other. Checkmate.

"Blink" ends flawlessly -- the closing montage of all those statues and gargoyles juxtaposed with the Doctor's "don't blink" speech will doubtless leave a generation of children with a deep-rooted fear of statues, gargoyles and grotesques. And if we're honest, probably quite a few adults too? All told, "Blink" was never going to be a monumental episode like "The Empty Child" or my personal favourite, "The Girl In The Fireplace". You just can't have an episode with that sort of weight without your regular cast. However, given the choice between a 'Doctor-lite' episode of this kind of quality or a Stargate-style clip show, I know which I'd choose every time. The fact that this episode was far better than "The Lazarus Experiment" and "42" - both of which had a full cast, big-name guest stars and a bucketload of C.GI. -- says it all really. With "Blink", Moffat has written an episode that will undoubtedly chill Britain on a warm summer's night.
  • Red Light, Green Light, Run for Your Life!

Wow, this was a great episode. I loved the Doctor and Martha, but I didn't miss them - I was too busy wondering what those Weeping Angels were going to do. Okay, I was looking at my neighbor's garden angel in a new light after seeing "Blink"! I have watched it repeatedly - loved the romantic play between the CUTE Detective Shipton and Sally ("Shipton. SPARROW!"). Classic "Doctor-isms" and continued surprises - I didn't guess the arc on this one at all. This is an episode for all us die-hard fans to show "non-believers" - they will really enjoy it.
  • Terrifying!

I've been watching Doctor Who since it came back on and none of the episodes have scared me like they scared me watching as a child. Except this one! It was very well done even for an episode without so much of the Doctor and Martha in it. The Weeping Angels were such a fantastic idea, things that didn't kill you but sent you back so far in time you wouldn't be able to see your friends or family again which is more terrifying that being destroyed. The statues were sooo creepy and for about two days after I watched it I wouldn't look at any statues at all in case one of them crept up behind me! Sally Sparrow was a bit annoying though, I hope she's not brought back at a later stage.
  • The Doctor and Martha are trapped and need help, from someone in the future (or the present, depending on your point of view)

This was announced as a Doctor-light episode, meaning Tennant had more time to film on last week's two-parter and was not going to appear as much in this episode.

That may very well be the case, but this is still a quintessentially Doctor Who episode with a brilliant script and a great protagonist. It displayed a wonderful approach to all the little intricacies of time travel and meeting people that have met you, but whom you haven't met.

Sally is a brave character and it was very nice that her friend had a great and happy life starting back in 1920. On the other hand, it was very evil yet fun and typically Doctor Who, to end this episode with lots and lots of statues and I'm sure children all over the UK will be watching statues for any sign of movement!
< 1 2 3 4